• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I started my final road towards my gastric sleeve today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nevermind I got really involved in this and went ahead and read the thread.

I just started a keto diet....if this doesnt work I will have to go towards a surgery I think. I've always been fat, as far back as I can remember, and have all the issues associated with that both physically and mentally.

Official Weight is now 288 lbs. I lost almost 40 lbs since the last weigh in. Not sure. Gotta see the print out again. I'm a month ahead of schedule on the weight loss. And this is without me doing the activity I once did.

Kumquat

291.2 this morning. 1.2 pounds from being able to say I have lost 100 pounds. Crazy. I lost an entire small woman.

I lost an entire small woman.

fbb.gif

That sounds like what happened right now.

Kumquat

This weekend I hit the 100 pounds lost mark. My weight was 289.6. I updated my clothes a bit. Not too much, just enough to get me by but damn it makes you feel good to rock the new stuff.

Be0Tql5.jpg

Kumquat

I got new glasses and felt like flaunting a great picture heh.

UNgXFmp.jpg

Real news though. I was finally cleared to do heavy weights again and started back into my lifting routine. The DOMS are killing me but gonna keep pushing.

Last I weighted myself and I was already at 280. I haven't checked a scale in weeks. It was weird. I ate a piece of cheese and was full for damn near five hours. Lost ten points on the BMI, and yet I'm still technically obese. 6'4 and 280 or less lbs. So weird.

Kumquat

Last I weighted myself and I was already at 280. I haven't checked a scale in weeks. It was weird. I ate a piece of cheese and was full for damn near five hours. Lost ten points on the BMI, and yet I'm still technically obese. 6'4 and 280 or less lbs. So weird.

Just gonna take time man. I have been saying to people Rome wasn't built in a day and neither was my fat ass.

On that note I'm down 105 pounds now. On the down side if you read my other thread I have renal cell carcinoma and have to have a nephrectomy.

Last I checked I was now 275, and I'm probably under that now. I can fit in a 1x shirt now compared to the 5x that I had to wear in the past. Though 2x right now is the most comfortable size wise right now.

GKnight

Banned
Congrats on the turnaround! Keep going you will be 200 in no time.

My girlfriend is always trying to lose weight but it seems unhealthy to me. Her body is super weird about losing weight, and loses it really slow. She has been eating a ridiculously small amount (like 7-900 calories per day) and working outand only lost 5 pounds since she started a month and a half ago and it makes her really sad.

Do these surgeries help people who have trouble losing weight through diet and exercise? Or is that more liposuction and this surgery is to reduce cravings?

Congrats on the turnaround! Keep going you will be 200 in no time.

My girlfriend is always trying to lose weight but it seems unhealthy to me. Her body is super weird about losing weight, and loses it really slow. She has been eating a ridiculously small amount (like 7-900 calories per day) and working outand only lost 5 pounds since she started a month and a half ago and it makes her really sad.

Do these surgeries help people who have trouble losing weight through diet and exercise? Or is that more liposuction and this surgery is to reduce cravings?

It may help her, but here's the question. Is she eating carbs? Does she eat big meals or several small portions throughout the day? Does she like to drink anything at all?

The gastric sleeve limits the amount of food that you can eat at one time, but you still have to eat 4-6 times throughout the day in three hour intervals. Also when doing a bariatric procedure, one of the things is that it removes a ton if not all the ghrellin which is the hunger hormone or a trigger in the body which lets you know you're hungry. Right now, Sometimes I can forget to eat simiply because I don't feel hungry. I have to time myself to eat and it's harder than most people realize simply because eating in this country is a pleasure or something to do with friends, or maybe just that XTRA BIG ASS FRIES now with more BAR BEEEE QUEEEEE! Sloshed down with Brawndo.

But seriously. It's just a tool. It can help, but if you aren't prepared for it, god damn the thing can be depressing as hell.

GF here again for an update:

So the weight loss has begun to taper off, he's down to loosing a few pounds a month at a normal rate. They still expect him to lose like 50lbs more, but I'm fine with his weight now. His blood work comes back fine every time. A tiny tiny bit low on Vitamin D, one assistant said to take supplements and another said nothing about it at his check ups. He's finally agreed to let me buy him a few new things. He bought a pair of pants that were fitting fine, but by the time we got them back after tailoring, they were much looser on him. But it's not a significant difference, it's still better than his old 54" pants.

But as he's become much healthier over the past year, we just found out a good friend of ours is diabetic. He was actually a good 50-60lbs less than my bf's average weight of 380 before surgery. Over the past year he's talked about changing his diet, drinking lots of water before meals, and working out more consistently. He was actually really happy with his weight loss, but he has become extremely skinny and even more weight loss than my bf following his surgery. So he finally talked to his doctor and his numbers are astronomically high (like close enough to be hospitalized). He's a really good friend to us, and comes over often for meals. So his diet is going to be closer to the post op diet for the first 3 months. On the plus side, I don't keep many carbs in the house, or other high sugar stuff. So I'm not concerned about preparing proper meals, but I'm still concerned about him and want make sure I can be a help to him when he's here.

Kumquat

Good afternoon everyone. I hit my one year mark in the very near future and thought I would lay down an update.

So I started this whole thing at 390 pounds. Today I am 255. I have lost a total of 135 pounds. Crazy. I've lost more weight than some people weigh in total. It's been a hard year with three surgeries and assorted other stuff but I am so glad I went through with this and I am glad for the support I have gotten from all of you. Here are a few recent pictures. I see my doctor next week for my full year checkup and they plan to snap some pictures. I'm still determined to lose as much weight as possible.

4uAXBPV.jpg

NbISFTB.jpg

CE8Krc5.jpg

Kumquat

Morning everyone. I decided to shave my beard last week. Thoughts? I'm also at 245 pounds now marking a total weight loss of 145 pounds after a year and a month.

DfjTfO5.jpg

Yukiari

Congrats on your success! It's great to hear stories like this. Though I can't see the picture since I'm at work I can't comment on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom