• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I Think I Was Wrong About Uncharted 4

Radiohead's new album and Uncharted 4 were at the top of my hype list in 2016 and they both came out around the same time. I was so excited to play the new Nate Drake adventure and I finished it the first week it came out. My first impression of the game was... this is a damn disaster.

Now I did appreciate a lot of the things about the game, but measuring it against my hype levels and my love for the series, it was a major dissapointment for me. My reasoning you have probably heard before...

It starts so damn slow...
The pacing is god-awful...
Why am I freaking climbing so much...?
Where are my set pieces?
Where is the action?
Is this MGS4 level of cutscenes?
Another crate? Are you kidding me?

On and on and on I thought this was way worse than 2 and 3 and maybe even worse than the first one (which has a myriad of its own problems).

After finishing my replay of the game an hour ago, and collecting my thoughts, I think I was way off base.

I was right about one thing... The pacing. But its actually not as game ruining as I thought it was and could be fixed in two simple ways.

1. The first 5 chapters should not keep bouncing all over different timelines. I think the opening should have been Nate scuba diving in the water where you think he is on some awesome adventure but he's just living a normal life... Then do the classic Nate and Elena relationship... Then introduce the brother and flashback and tell the beginning of Nate and Sam's relationship as kids, then the prison and the introduction of the crosses, and then the alcatraz breakout. Over course connect this in solid Naughty Dog fashion but that beginning would have flowed better and cut off about 25 minutes from the beginning.

2. There is simply a lack of combat encounters from Chapters 12-18. Take or leave chapter 16 (I actually enjoyed it this time even though i screamed at the tv the first time i played the game). However, the more grievous sin thatn chapter 16 is having so much climbing in chapter 17 and only two encounters. In those chapters add maybe 3 or 4 combat encounters that are sprinkled throughout and this game could be infinitely better.
Those may seem like big things, but number 1 is rearranging the cutscenes and number 2 is more content, but it wouldn't be that difficult. Just add some men to the already awesome places you have... New Devon should have had another gunfight for sure. Anyway, these are not huge additions, which made me think, the pacing cannot ruin this game.

Now what changed my mind to make me believe that Uncharted 4 is equal to or greater than the 2 and 3 and definitely greater than 1? From least important to most important

4. The Story

Now I wasn't a huge fan of the story the first time through and it did not think it deserved the focus or the amount of cutscenes. However, this playthrough I really appreciated the unfolding of Avery and Drake's story. The connections, the pirate lore, the descent into madness and obsession. The pirate story carefully unfolds piece by piece in character and environmental storytelling to tell you how "pirates will be pirates" and "thieves will be thieves" and it parallels it nicely with how pirates famously weren't family men. All in all, it was not flashy with huge twists and turns, but it was a well slow cooked story for a video game. Up there with Last of Us in story department for me. I like it better probably but thats because im not a Zombie guy.

3. The Set Pieces

Lord knows I missed me a hefty amount of set pieces like the train, the cruise, the plane etc. Uncharted 4 is lacking big set piece moment, but the one it has is the best one ever no doubt in my mind. The chase, crane, car chase blows me away every time I play it. Its transitions, the graphics, the openess of how an action scene plays out, the interactiveness of basically a playable movie is unrivaled in Uncharted and unrivaled in video games. I'm not succumbing to Gaf hyperbole, but it is the greatest 20-30 minutes I've ever played in a game. Yes, one more in chapters 12-18 would have been great, but I can't put it below the other games when it has chapter 11, I simply can't.

2. The Variety of Gameplay

I am not a "sight seeing" simulator kind of guy and the walking parts in Uncharted 2 and 3 weren't my favorite, and they really weren't my favorite in Last of Us. The crates and ladders in that game were bad and they are also really bad in Uncharted 4. I forgot to mention as this is one area where Naughty Dog needs to get their freaking act together. However, on this playthrough I really told myself to let the adventure take me where it takes me. I told myself to just go along for the ride. You know I actually enjoyed myself in the first few chapters. I snuck around nuns and priests, I fought in prison, I scuba dived, I played an old game and cooked dinner with my wife, and I was part of a heist. What I was frustrated at in my first playthrough, I really enjoyed this time. There is a lot of cool gameplay situations that are just one and done, and if they fixed the pacing like I mentioned above, these gameplay scenarios would have been more refreshing.

1. Combat, Combat, Combat, Combat

This is it. There is not enough of it, but what is there is so head and shoulders above the rest of the series, that it changed my perspective on this game entirely. I liked the combat on my first go around, but playing it through a second time I realized how different my encounters were. The size, scope and rope make this game one of the best playing 3rd person shooters ever. I realized after I replayed the original trilogy, that not one encounter in those games (even in their variety and excitement) was more fun then playing a combat arena in UC4. The guns sound better, the destruction is awesome, the movement is crisper, the moves are more plentiful and the swinging and shooting is pin point perfect for Uncharted. Some people say the Scotland part is boring but Chapter 8 was amazing for me with combat encounter after encounter and each were different and exciting. No there was not the variety of design like UC2 had, but you had your own story to tell because there was so many ways an encounter could play out. The linear combat sections were the perfect amount of time and they were great at mixing those up with the larger arenas. Again if they added 3 or 4 more during chapters 12-18, this could have been such a better game.

As it is, I don't know where it will rank in the series, I got the HD collection coming for Father's Day. I do know I was wrong and my hate and dissapointment was over-the-top. In individual components, this is one of the best games I have ever played. It falters because of the reasons I first mentioned, but it is still an excellent, excellent game.

P.S.

I've said my peace... Is a crushing playthrough worth it or is it super unfun?

Edit: Wow, I forgot one of the most important points!! To fix the pacing put the boat scene as a set piece after chapter 12. Elongate it but it's basically already there or at least have us replay it. Again, not a lot of work and they already have what they need in the game. Pacing could be fixed pretty easily with a few tweaks. I'm gonna add this to OP

I love the gameplay and shootouts, but it gets so frequently interrupted by climbing and what amounts to in-game cutscenes that it's a pain to play through again. Shame

I agree about the combat scenarios. They can play out in so many ways, and that long mid game setpieces is one of the best in all of gaming.

I love this game, including the slow parts
I missed the huge set pieces until I realized the whole game is a finely crafted set piece

Haines

Banned
Its a flawe game, but i feel people are way too hard on it by focusing on those flaws instead of what it does great.

And its amazing to look at on a pro and capable tv calibrated

dmshaposv

To me uncharted 4 was a bold step away from the constant cacophony of set piece after set piece of the U3.

Pacing is about different rhythms and flow of action and storytelling. While 2 does this flawlessly, the novelty wore thin in U3. What they did in four was the right direction.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I am like 3 trophies (time trial, 70% accuracy, get through X section without being seen) away from getting the Platinum, that is unheard of for me. I love/d the game.

CEJames

I still stand by the traversal aspect of it being a strong point in the game. Uncharted should be about some grand adventure through lots of areas (caves,forests,tombs, etc aka treasure hunt) and less about combat. The lack of combat encounters( in my case, I thought it was just enough) didn't bother me.

The pacing could have been a bit better but they were trying to fit in a whole new character that was a big part of his life in there. Elena & Cloe had 2 to 3 games of development.

Crushing isn't actually that bad until you get to chapter 20 and then its a nightmare. Almost luck based.

Korigama

I very much enjoyed it, my expectations having been low after the shuffle in staff during production and just plain not liking Uncharted 3.

Persona7

Banned
It ranges from good to bad. The story and OST are really bad. Gameplay and environments are fine but its a drag to sit through the story sequences.

I too gave it a second playthrough to see if my initial impressions were off, but couldn't even finish it. It's one of the dullest and most insulting games I've ever played.

Remains one of my favorite games this gen. I've also recently replayed it and I enjoyed it even more so than my first time around.

Such a great end to Nate's story as well.

MrS

Banned
Nice to look at, garbage to play. I'd have dropped it but I wanted to get my money's worth. It's amazing how ND went from greatness with TLOU to the blandness of U4.

Sheroking

I've come to believe that the people who have serious pacing concerns with this game are not attached to these characters the way I was.

The intro was bold and heartfelt. The couch scene early in UC4 remains my favorite bit of writing and acting in any video-game, ever. These were the characters I loved most in gaming, and these slower beats didn't feel wasted.

I love that game. Easily my GOTY last year.

RedSwirl

I sense a lot of people didn't like the slower pace of Uncharted 4 and its increased focus on platforming and puzzles compared to the first three games. Personally, it was what I'd always been waiting for regarding the Uncharted games.

When I'd first heard about Uncharted I expected an adventure game like Tomb Raider Legend but with better shooting, but instead got a third person shooter with a few cursory puzzles. Uncharted 2 and 3 were a bit better in this regard but Uncharted 4 is the one that finally mostly felt like an adventure game with good shooting in it.

Godcannon

I agree with you OP. Maybe expectations were too high. I still thought it was a good game, just not even close to 2 or 3.

That being said, it's worth the playthrough because the story ends up fitting much better than it should have.

The last quarter of the game is what you are looking for, it's just kinda too little too late.

Nice to look at, garbage to play. I'd have dropped it but I wanted to get my money's worth. It's amazing how ND went from greatness with TLOU to the blandness of U4.

I think Last of us gameplay and Uncharted 4 are about equal actually. I don't see how it is garbage.

The crazy part about UC4 is that it has THE freaking best TPS mechanics, but the shoot out encounters are thin and spread out compared to other titles in the series. I hope Lost Legacy amps up the action with Chloe and Nadine, because I love the shooting in UC4.

JAGMASK

I found it really boring. I only finished it because my brother wanted me to see it to the end. If it was up to me I'd have stopped when they get to Scotland.

Edit: Don't know why they got rid of throwing grenades back either, that was a great addition to 3.

I haven't had a chance to play it yet but it's interesting your complaints are it didn't have enough combat because when 3 came out a lot of people were complaining how much combat and set pieces it had

-hadouken

My better half and I enjoyed it thoroughly the first go 'round. Almost feel like the disappointment was a self-fulfilling meme. Rank it behind 2, tho ahead of 1 & 3.

From what I've seen of U4 it has way too many climbing sections and reused crate puzzles, very boring. Can't bring myself to try it unless I come across it very cheap.

Best story in the series. My biggest problem with all these games is the climbing (and puzzles) eventually get really, really tedious and that's no different here, to say the least. I still really enjoyed it overall. (but only replayed certain sections, not the entire thing)

I've enjoyed all the uncharted games for different reasons, I only played UC1-3 with the collection since I never played games on ps3. I'd put UC4 somewhere in the middle of the series.

For me, gameplay in these kind of games is secondary to story - Assassins Creed, Mass Effect, Uncharted, TLOU, Bioshock, Mafia, God of War, Tomb Raider, etc are games that are "immersive experiences" to me, I get lost in the world for a few hours and really get into the story. So long as the gameplay isn't extremely annoying I care more about the story. By contrast, Nintendo games or indie games or MP games are all gameplay and don't really care about story in them.

For me UC went from a series that was a good mix of mystical / realistic that slowly got rid of the mystical stuff over time and went for more historical / realistic. I didn't really like that, I really enjoyed the "what if..." aspects of UC1 & 2 and felt something was missing from UC4. Story beat wise, I enjoyed UC4 and liked the variety of levels and beauty. Sam felt a little bit forced to me, and he seemed to get retconned into the lore and sort of replaced Sully, which I wasn't a fan of. I liked Sully from UC2 & 3.

Mistle

I thought it was a good release, it had cohesive themes and some really stand out moments. Was refreshing that it took a more traditional approach, especially after The King of Limbs.

mindsale

I hated its dumb retcon, shoehorning in a brother and having his mother doing all the legwork on his three prior adventures. It made him much less a lucky Everyman with some training in antiquities and more much a fated Hero of Destiny from a family of antiquarians. Blech.

Also marital turbulence and many of the softer moments are total retreads of 3. It's so unnecessary. Still good, but just why?

The goonies style stuff in the game was better than the wacky supernatural shit too imo
"id hate to see this guys christmas tree" remains the best dad joke in a game

MCD250

I have the most conflicted feelings about it. The central premise about Nate having a brother still feels too insane for me to even consider, and the game as a whole is far longer than it needs to be. But when its focus shifts to certain things - like Nate and Elena's marriage - it's practically peerless.

I dunno. I hope to be able to focus more fully on its upsides some day.

I understand where some of the complaints come from but for me the game was pretty much perfect. With other games I felt like I forgot where the adventure was going or what Nate was actually looking for because it would get quickly overtaken by killing spree action sequences. I always wondered why I only looked in Nate's journal like 3 times over the course of the game. Uncharted 4 finally felt like they were trying to make it about the journey to discover the treasure first rather than the action sequences so I appreciated the calm moments of exploring, climbing and solving puzzles.

TheXbox

The Nathan Drake genocide memes must've resonated with ND. They make their best combat engine yet and its featured less than in any other game. Still a masterpiece, though.

Also marital turbulence and many of the softer moments are total retreads of 3. It's so unnecessary. Still good, but just why?
3 didn't resolve any of it. Nate and Elena are separated. Nate washes up on a beach, Elena picks his ass up. Then Elena pats Nate on the head and sends him on his way. No resolution. 4 picks up the pieces and puts them back together, and the result is probably the best representation of marriage in all of video games.

Wow, I forgot one of the most important points!! To fix the pacing put the boat scene as a set piece after chapter 12. Elongate it but it's basically already there or at least have us replay it. Again, not a lot of work and they already have what they need in the game. Pacing could be fixed pretty easily with a few tweaks.

I'm gonna add this to OP

Servbot24

Banned
Uncharted 4 is a masterclass in pacing. It's unbelievably good in that regard. When people look back in 15 years they'll see.

4 > 2 > 3 > 1

hydruxo

I didn't play the UC games until the PS4 remaster, and despite enjoying the characters and some sections here and there, overall I wasn't all that into them. Maybe the hype had my expectations too high, I don't know.

Uncharted 4 on the other hand was fantastic, I enjoyed the hell out of it. There were some frustrating encounters, but overall it was just so much more enjoyable than the first three games to me. My jaw was on the floor pretty much every chapter with some of the vistas/locations. People like to throw around "it feels like a movie" praise for certain games, but for me UC4 really did feel like a movie more so than any game I've ever played.

mindsale

I have the most conflicted feelings about it. The central premise about Nate having a brother still feels too insane for me to even consider, and the game as a whole is far longer than it needs to be. But when its focus shifts to certain things - like Nate and Elena's marriage - it's practically peerless.

I dunno. I hope to be able to focus more fully on its upsides some day.

I would've loved to've seen Hennig's version from that first teaser trailer, where you begin to think that maybe the reason Nate never said anything was that this golden boy did something awful, and now his brother is rightfully coming after him.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The Nathan Drake genocide memes must've resonated with ND. They make their best combat engine yet and its featured less than in any other game. Still a masterpiece, though.
A lot of people made the complaints about previous Uncharteds being "nothing but tedious waves of enemies", so it's probably a response to that too.

I also see a lot of TLOU: Left Behind in it.

Top Bottom