• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

i think i'm done with games :(

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i'm really struggling to enjoy games now. maybe i'm getting old or maybe it's crippling depression.

i was so excited for Cyberpunk and i know there is/was a lot of hate around it but i'm not here to shit on the game. i was really enjoying it but this is all i've got to show for "my most anticipated game of the year" since buying it at launch:

Screenshot-261.png

it made me think if i was that excited for a game and i've hardly been able to play it then what's the point anymore? there are games i want to buy but if i find it hard to sit down and play a game then why am i spending money on them? right now i have these games installed:

(last played)
Cyberpunk - a week ago
Destiny 2 - november 24th
No Man's Sky - november 23rd
Death Stranding - December 2nd
Genshin Impact - december 22nd
League of Legends - 2nd january
Hades - not played
Flight Simulator - november 25th
World of Warcraft - november 2nd
Rocket League - yesterday
Tony Hawks Pro Skater 1 + 2 - fuck knows
Fortnite - fuck knows

there are other games i have an urge to go back to. i wanted to reinstall Diablo 3, Nier Automata, Dark Souls 3...but i know i'm not gonna manage to play them. there are games coming out soon that i want to buy like Persona 5 Strikers and Nier Replicant but again what's the point. it feels like a waste of money now.

this is also the first generation of consoles where i haven't bothered about getting a console. well i did get a Series X but returned it. cancelled my PS5 pre order. earlier in the year I sold my Switch cause i couldn't be arsed playing that anymore.

i don't really know what the point of this post is but i want to get share my feelings. maybe there are other people who feel the same. i think i'm gonna try finish up Cyberpunk, Death Stranding, and start Hades then that's it. I might buy the odd game going forward but I think i'm done with gaming. It's been a huge part of my life and it's sad i can't enjoy it anymore.

Read some books, watch some tv shows, learn a new hobby. Games will be there if you decide to come back.

I know the feeling. I hardly game these days. Cyberpunk has been my most played recently and I’ve put in about only 15 hours. I’m taking it very slow.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
They are all big hyped games that aren't meeting your expectations. Find something fun and focus on a smaller number of games that you want to play. Gamepass is actually brilliant for this. Ori and FH4 have eaten my time away. You always loop round to wanting the biggger experiences anyway. Start small, what type of game do you want and why aren't you enjoying your current catalogue? Is there is no drop in drop out? Do you feel like progress is slow? Have you grinded too much (Destiny).

We all get in this rut, just need to find out why you feel like this...

Blond

Banned
I’m gonna take the opposite approach and say it’s okay to quit games, be it for six months or for good. I took a breather for 8 months back in 2019 and got back into it with Death Stranding.

Get a bike, do yoga, go hiking, pick up scale modeling and build a WW2 diorama or a gundam, learn to code or design UX and contribute to an open source project or the old fashioned get fit!

Video Games are great but they aren’t the end all be all, switch up your routine or give it up completely but just know it’s okay to outgrow a hobby.

I quit playing games for 5 years once. All during college. I totally quit gaming. I still liked gaming, but I never played and didn’t have a console.

I got back into it later with some great RPGs.

I’m still gaming today, but I go through phases where I may not play for a month or two then play a lot. It also helps to have friends that play so you can talk about your games.

also, I’ve battled depression, and still do. My doc told me to force myself to do things that I enjoy and to force myself to socialize because depression tries to force you to stop doing things you enjoy and makes you want to stay alone. I did not have depression when I quit gaming. But, when I got depression, years later, I almost totally quit everything I enjoyed. I had it bad. Under control today, but it’s still there.

Last edited:

Enjay

Banned
i'm really struggling to enjoy games now. maybe i'm getting old or maybe it's crippling depression.

i was so excited for Cyberpunk and i know there is/was a lot of hate around it but i'm not here to shit on the game. i was really enjoying it but this is all i've got to show for "my most anticipated game of the year" since buying it at launch:

Screenshot-261.png

it made me think if i was that excited for a game and i've hardly been able to play it then what's the point anymore? there are games i want to buy but if i find it hard to sit down and play a game then why am i spending money on them? right now i have these games installed:

(last played)
Cyberpunk - a week ago
Hades - not played
Fortnite - fuck knows

there are other games i have an urge to go back to. i wanted to reinstall Diablo 3, Nier Automata, Dark Souls 3...but i know i'm not gonna manage to play them. there are games coming out soon that i want to buy like Persona 5 Strikers and Nier Replicant but again what's the point. it feels like a waste of money now.

this is also the first generation of consoles where i haven't bothered about getting a console. well i did get a Series X but returned it. cancelled my PS5 pre order. earlier in the year I sold my Switch cause i couldn't be arsed playing that anymore.

i don't really know what the point of this post is but i want to get share my feelings. maybe there are other people who feel the same. i think i'm gonna try finish up Cyberpunk, Death Stranding, and start Hades then that's it. I might buy the odd game going forward but I think i'm done with gaming. It's been a huge part of my life and it's sad i can't enjoy it anymore.
You had a good run. Eventually built up tolerance happens with everything. Even fun.

SantaC

Seems like you want a good game to get immersed in.

Are you playing on PC now? I would buy some falcom jrpgs on steam. I recommend YS8 and Trails of Cold Steel arc (4 games)

Thank me later

Edit: those can be bought on PS4 as well

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Take a break and try to find/enjoy other hobbies. Also try and go back to some of the old school games you like. I recently dove back into FF after feeling similar to you, and it’s been great!

Zoro7

Banned
I have phases where I don’t enjoy video games. It’s not the end of the world. You don’t have to force yourself to enjoy it. Just try other things and only go back to it when you genuinely feel like it.

SantaC

I have phases where I don’t enjoy video games. It’s not the end of the world. You don’t have to force yourself to enjoy it. Just try other things and only go back to it when you genuinely feel like it.
I mean it is kinda hard to enjoy other things during a pandemic.

Funny how some users on here automatically equate not liking games anymore = depression. Maybe you're developing in a good and healthy direction? Maybe, just maybe, for some people, having "urges" to play or to spent most of their free time in front of a monitor is a warning sign of depressive tendencies.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Funny how some users on here automatically equate not liking games anymore = depression. Maybe you're developing in a good and healthy direction? Maybe, just maybe, for some people, having "urges" to play or to spent most of their free time in front of a monitor is a warning sign of depressive tendencies.

Literally the first line in the OP is "maybe it's crippling depression" Edit: never mind, thought you were implying people replying were pulling that out of thin air

As everyone else said, take a break, don't force yourself to play stuff because you think you "should", it won't work

Last edited:

Jethalal

Banned
Switch hobbies. Take a break. Circa 2014 I had basically quit reading books. I was a voracious reader but something happened. None of them clicked for me. I'd issue them from the school library but then read 50 pages or so and called quits. Maybe I was too sick of them (?). Then in late 2016 I bought a kindle. In the past 4 years I have read over 100 books on my kindle. It is my favourite possession. The 2 year break was a huge gap but my love for books didn't go away.

Take a break, maybe delve into new hobbies. I won't suggest watching movies, TV shows as I consider them entertainment more than hobby as they don't require our input. Try sketching, writing, yoga, dancing, learn an instrument. The games will wait for you. Maybe come back in a year and try something out, maybe VR for a change. I only used to play the open world AAA games but I called quits on them as I found them repetitive and same-y. Then I got into metroidvanias and simulation games and oh boy what a blast I've had.

It must be hard not going out in a pandemic too. I used to go for movies each month but last year I only went once and that too after recovering from COVID. Once things get better, go to a vacation with your family. I am not aware about your relations with your family and neither should I but maybe spend some time with them once things get better.

Anyways I hope the best for you. :messenger_heart:

bender

What time is it?
I’d quit too if I only had those awful games.
Shouldn’t have canceled the PS5, the PS+ Collection has games a billion times better than the ones you mentioned.

He's got Rocket League and THPS 1+2 which are easily two of the best games of the previous generation and are as good as the best the Plus Collection has to offer (MH:W, Bloodborne and Until Dawn).

Orta

Banned
We've all been there. Been playing games since I was 6 and I stopped mid twenties and didn't return to them for almost 10 years. I play the very very occasional epic once in a blue moon but its mostly shorter more casual stuff nowadays and I'm more than happy with that.

Try focusing on something new that isn't a million miles from videogames and consoles (I developed a massive nerdy interest in home & entertainment technology in my time off) and see how it goes but keep an ear to the games industry. In time it might come back but there is always the possibility you and games have just run your course.

I'm in no way qualified to offer any kind of advice on your reference to possible depression except the obvious in speaking to a professional.

Soodanim

All I did was take the phrase “I think I’m done with games” and add “For now” to the end and suddenly it’s not an issue.

Games are entertainment. If you’re not entertained, then don’t play them. Do something else. If you don’t enjoy anything, fix that instead. Your games, and most future games, aren’t going anywhere.

Hosam6xavi

Banned
Take a break

After ff 7 Remake i didn't play anything until cyberpunk 2077 and now I Can't stop playing

watch movies anime manga tv shows etc

Kamina

Golden Boy
You are maybe playing too many? Whenever i am fed up i let the consoles turned off for a month or so and return at a later date.
Playing too much in too little time can burn you out just like work can.

It's a phase, I was going trough it a bunch of times.

Basically do other stuff on the side, manage some hobbies. For me it's vintage audio, vinyls, tapes, music in general - also there are a bunch of tv series or anime out there which I like and I enjoy watching them. I do enjoy some good whisky too - I got a Jim Murray's Whisky Bible 2021 and a Whisky Carafe/Decanter on Christmas from my family and they acknowledged my taste for a good whisky.

Games are always there, I was too very excited for Cyberpunk as a gamer and Polish person - but when I played it on my PS4 Pro I decided it's too much of a shitshow and then CDPR gave me an option to return the game even with an opened box - and so I did.

Bought an AC: Valhalla since it was 40% off here in Poland, I was never on the whole Assassin's Creed bandwagon and I thought I would not enjoy it at all. But surprisingly I enjoy it very much and I am absolutely immersed since I like Vikings and runes and all - also Wardruna which made the OST to this game - amazing stuff. It's very Witcher 3 like. Sometimes I just like to take in the views of the game and take it slow. I should have some off time from work later this month and it will be a first time in a long time since I played anything single player in a long time. Since lately it was only COD: Warzone with my friends.

I think it depends on a game. A spare time and all. Also bear in mind as we do get older we change prioritizes in life so I guess its normal to be in these phase. I think you will pull through this. Stay healthy and do other stuff! Best of luck!

Last edited:

Rickyiez

Just do whatever you enjoy mate, it doesn't have to be games. Also visit less social media and discussion board like this, there are just too much negativity

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Burnout can happen to anything when you do it too much, even the things you love. Take a break, and do other things outside of your comfort zone. Try something outdoorsy or something that requires more physical action. Variety is the spice of life. You'll never truly know what you like or don't like unless you test the limits.

Trimesh

Banned
I'm still playing games, but recently it's often old games - the most telling thing to me was that after buying 4 generations of PlayStation and 3 generations of Xbox at launch I really couldn't see any reason to get either the PS5 or the XSX.

bender

What time is it?
Also, since you played Rocket League yesterday, that game is easy to treat like a job with the daily win bonuses, weekly challenges, holiday events and the never ending season passes. I finally hoped off that treadmill and I'm glad to have the free time back.

kiphalfton

I think I stopped playing video games because in the back of my mind I always felt like I should be going to the gym, going outside, etc. I always ended up feeling guilty if I playing games instead of doing that stuff. However, COVID has caused most places to close down for the time being, and it's ulgy and/or cold outside.

So really there couldn't be a better time to play games.

Fitzchiv

I always experience this kind of disconnect and apathy after I complete something meaty, or come out of a cycle of sinking a load of time into something and get bored (Elite, Destiny 2). What follows is a few weeks of aborted starts of new games in the backlog, or just walking away from games for a bit full stop. I'd suggest the latter, just give yourself a complete break until you get an itch for a genre again and then you'll find something that interests you rather than forcing yourself to get interested.

Right now I'm playing Anno 1800, Rust and Destiny 2 on a routine basis which keeps things fresh and caters to various moods, plus been dealing with my 5yr olds suddenly emerged obsession with Mario and Bowser, which has demonstrated just how excellent my modded Wii U is once again.

Give yourself a break

GeorgPrime

Banned

Screenshot-261.png

(last played)
Cyberpunk - a week ago
Hades - not played
Fortnite - fuck knows

Nah most games are just not as good as the ones you loved back in the days. :)

They look better yes but everything else is lacking in most games.

Back then it was like that i love 8 out of 10 games. Nowadays its more likely that i love 2 out of 10 games

For example Yakuza - Like A Dragon. I like it but you clearly see that the developer has no fucking clue about RPGs and wasted so much potential.

Last edited:

AmateurPong

Read a book, try a new hobby for a bit. I reached game burnout at the end of the 360 era, and it was a couple years before I finally picked up a ps4 and got back into it.

Top Bottom