• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think the Nintendo Direct, State of Play platform is much better than the old e3 shows!

Do you miss the old E3 format or prefer Nintendo Direct/State of play format?

• I prefer E3

Votes: 122 76.3%
  • State of play all day

Votes: 38 23.8%

• Total voters
Trailers back to back is not a show. It is just gametrailers.com with guidance, alright as an info, but not even close to what eg. God of War Orchestra did. Sure there were cringe moments, a lot, that Prime Matter show was shite from start to finish, even if some games might have been okayish, but the good moments outweigh the bad ones. In the last E3s the quality was good from Bethesda, Sony, to EA, MS and Ubi.
Devolver seems to be the only company that still delivers entertainment. They had barely games the last time, and I wonder how long they can add to that ridiculous story arc, but it is was fun to watch. State of Plays and Directs are hypefree like watching individual trailers always was.
I also support the above idea of consistency with that format, while also having a yearly proper show with bells and whistles with outstanding new IP reveals, gameplay of major IPs and some Indies sprinkled in.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The format is better.

But the hype a big named show generates is undeniable.

sainraja

I think everyone is bringing up good points on both formats but the E3 events were probably a giant waste of money and time on their side which is why they are probably trying to move away from it completely into this new format of sharing.

Rykan

I used to be a staunch defender of E3, but I can't help but feel that presentations have become less and less interesting. In my humble opinion, Nintendo's E3 Press conference of 2006 was peak E3 (It's on youtube, go watch it if you haven't) and the last truly great E3 show was Sony's press conference of 2015. Every press conference since then has felt disappointing and not worth my time watching it. There's generally a few intriguing titles and the rest is filler or the 5th "indie montage".

I'm liking these new direct style videos a lot more. The fact they are shorter means that I rarely feel that it's a waste of time, even if they don't deliver what I'm hoping for. They also just tend to stick to games, instead of the typical "PLEASE WELCOME DEVELOPER FROM GAMESTUDIO! *clap clap clap* THANKS MIKE, I COULDN'T BE MORE EXCITED TO FINALLY REVEAL OUR NEXT PROJECT. OUR PASSIONATE TEAM AT GAMESTUDIO HAS BEEN HARD AT WORK AT CREATING THE NEXT BLABLABLA" and then it's just Forza or something.

So yeah. My vote goes for Direct style over E3 press conferences.

Osaka_Boss

Any E3 was miles better than that s#t Doritos pope puts out every year. Fraud Oscar-like events where we know which game won before being announced simply by checking which game is being shown more ads for

I think everyone is bringing up good points on both formats but the E3 events were probably a giant waste of money and time on their side which is why they are probably trying to move away from it completely into this new format of sharing.
I am not sure how they measure if its cost was a waste. I know daily newspapers here basically only covered gaming at HW reveals, xmas with some obvious recommendations and the E3 days. Possibly major releases get a few words here and there but not entire pages like E3 did. Gamers follow developments more diligently, but the general public "requires" some other exposure. Some might get that now via social media, but people usually live in bubbles there, so why would non to casual gamers be exposed to gaming?
But might be correct that it did cost more than its ad value was, so they reduced the effort to what really pays off. They are possibly not all idiots.
...instead of the typical "PLEASE WELCOME DEVELOPER FROM GAMESTUDIO! *clap clap clap* THANKS MIKE, I COULDN'T BE MORE EXCITED TO FINALLY REVEAL OUR NEXT PROJECT. OUR PASSIONATE TEAM AT GAMESTUDIO HAS BEEN HARD AT WORK AT CREATING THE NEXT BLABLABLA" and then it's just Forza or something.
cookie cutter interviews and fake enthusiasm is bad, but we also had the nervous Unravel guy or also a bit nervous Sean Murray showing billions of boring nothingness people got excited about, Kojima walking too fast for the light show on the ground. In the grand scheme of things probably unnecessary, expensive noise but some moments were great.
Anyone who wanted no personality at all could always just watch the best of the show videos several outlets created. Damn, gamespot did that even for yesterdays state of play...

sainraja

I am not sure how they measure if its cost was a waste. I know daily newspapers here basically only covered gaming at HW reveals, xmas with some obvious recommendations and the E3 days. Possibly major releases get a few words here and there but not entire pages like E3 did. Gamers follow developments more diligently, but the general public "requires" some other exposure. Some might get that now via social media, but people usually live in bubbles there, so why would non to casual gamers be exposed to gaming?
But might be correct that it did cost more than its ad value was, so they reduced the effort to what really pays off. They are possibly not all idiots.

cookie cutter interviews and fake enthusiasm is bad, but we also had the nervous Unravel guy or also a bit nervous Sean Murray showing billions of boring nothingness people got excited about, Kojima walking too fast for the light show on the ground. In the grand scheme of things probably unnecessary, expensive noise but some moments were great.
Anyone who wanted no personality at all could always just watch the best of the show videos several outlets created. Damn, gamespot did that even for yesterdays state of play...
I always saw E3 as an event for the gaming enthusiasts anyway but I think if they find the current format isn't getting them the same exposure they will most likely return to something like E3 at some point.

Darchaos

I can agree that its nice with just shorter videos going from just game to game and much less cringe.

BUT i want e3 anyway. Its not just the games, its the whole thing. I used to take days off from work for it, sitting up late nights and eating good food and drinks watching it. Just a nice time allaround, so yeah, i miss it and want it back.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
There's nothing as good as a marketing executive taking to the stage to deliver their rehearsed lines and everyone watching in the audience in the room and at home, everyone working on the production, everyone on the stage, knowing that a simple slip of the tongue could spell disaster. The fact that it's live and happening right now is what makes it worth tuning in for, the danger, excitement (!) of it. It's an actual show for an audience to enjoy, not a bunch of videos stitched together. That's not to say the risk/reward balance is all in the favour of the viewer. For a slickly put together show that's presented well, the impact is far greater, it is real entertainment and a chance for platform holders, developers and publishers to shine in a way that a 3 minute youtube video never could.

I don't even bother with these videos now, might as well just wait for the news cycle to click over and tell you what's good and worth your time.

For the companies doing this, I get why they'd rather take the no-risk approach of putting out a bunch of videos, but for me, it's not a show, it's not entertainment, it's something completely different and much less interesting.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I can agree that its nice with just shorter videos going from just game to game and much less cringe.

BUT i want e3 anyway. Its not just the games, its the whole thing. I used to take days off from work for it, sitting up late nights and eating good food and drinks watching it. Just a nice time allaround, so yeah, i miss it and want it back.
Definitely agree with this. I'm not a sports fan, but this for me is similar, an event you book into the calendar. This is the Superbowl/FA Cup/Etc. "I'm not doing anything on Thursday night, I am busy"

A license to eat pizza* and drink mountain dew.

*or Doritos, if you must.

Last edited:

Matsuchezz

Nothing surpasses the excitement of being there and feel the people energy and excitement. It's like watching your favorite artist concert through TV.
Regarding Nintendo shows, there is no excitement for anything Nintendo releases these days for me.

The excitement and roar from people that could have seen the GOW Ragnarok story trailer on a big screen an great sound. Could have been amazing! and that is the magic sometimes of these events you could relive that excitement on old E3 presentations and feel this kind of energy.

Last edited:
State of Play was ass. Nintendo's Direct was good though.

That said I would prefer for Nintendo/Sony/MS to throw up their shit in a stream/upload instead of going back to E3 format.

Well, I think most people agree with your underlying point that digital showcases work better than live press conferences. But the idea of a major days-long event that all platform holders and publishers participate in I think is really important. Not having E3 this year proved that. And two E3s without Playstation have shown that. The absence of E3 this year really left this gaping hole that is nowhere near filled by smaller, random events. E3 is a tentpole.

So far, 9/10/22-9/14/22 has been far better than than the mess we got from random events in June this year, and TGS literally hasn't officially started yet.

Last edited:

CeeJay

Neither, just upload the individual trailers on YouTube instead of forcing me through a long ass livestream. E3 is too cheesy and state of play/Nintendo direct is too damn long.
No one is forcing you to watch the entire show though. Within minutes of any announcement you can always find a thread along with a video right here on GAF. Best of both worlds.

Fbh

The pre recorded events definitely lack some of the spectacle and personal touch.
Sony missed the point with the flute dude, but the year before announcing God of War with a live orchestra and gameplay demo to a cheering crowd was cool in a way that you don't get with a sterile pre recorded video.

The State of Play format in particular feels very corporate and boring. At least Nintendo usually still has a proper host for their shows, and they have people like Miaymoto or Sakurai show up to talk to the audience about their games.

No way! None of these silly little State of Plays or Nintendo Directs come even close to the hype of the E3 season for me. I don't mind showcases for single games close to release, but I really hate having all of the announcements spread out over a bunch of low effort videos throughout the year. Bring back E3 week!

sinnergy

No Way Meme GIF

Kimahri

Banned
E3 shows are just more fun.

However, there's a difference between companies. Microsoft have generally had the snappy show with speedy announcementa down for a long time.

Sony and Nintendo however, not so much.

Nintendo didn't figure it out till the Direct, snd Sony till State of Play even though they still pull the odd asinine thing out of their bags.

I stiøl remember the good old days very vividly. The days when you were excites with a hint of dread for what you'd get to experience while sitting in that crowd.

I remember graphs, statistics, market share, endless talking, and just a painful boredom between all the things worth seeing.

So yeah. State of Play is better, much better than what Sony used to do.

But I'd take presser in the vein of Xbox any day.

BootsLoader

Banned
I prefer E3 all the way. Will never forget the hype for each presentation. Me and my friends used to stock up on snacks and beers back in the day just to watch E3. Some of the, were Nintendo fans, other Xbox and PlayStation. We were watching all the presentations together, booing each other, showing middle fingers etc. Damn, those were the days.

I also miss the cringy stuff of E3. It’s so sad the E3 will never be the same again.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
truth

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
You want some e3 amusement? Behold one of the legends and be entertained...

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Honestly, these short video presentations are better than *most* E3 pressers. People remember the highlights, but lets be fair, the snoozers outweigh them by a good margin. Especially in recent years.

I'd also add that in long shows stuff tends to get buried, which is unfortunate.

Banjo64

cumsessed
E3 delivered golden moments and megatons. Videos give you none of that.

To each their own. My favourite thing about e3 was always the console unveilings/rundowns.

I remember it more for the cringe - brass bands, orchestras, Nintendo Music, Just Dance and Kinect demos. A few days of trash to sift through for 1 or 2 golden nuggets.

For every Miyamoto Twilight Princess unveiling there was 400 moments of cringe.

Plus the good moments on the directs are just as good as any e3 that I streamed online; Banjo in Smash, Goldeneye yesterday, the Series X unveiling at TGA 2019 - the only tangible difference to me is that the YouTube reaction videos aren’t a live crowd cheering now, but some streamers cheering.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
To each their own. My favourite thing about e3 was always the console unveilings/rundowns.

I remember it more for the cringe - brass bands, orchestras, Nintendo Music, Just Dance and Kinect demos. A few days of trash to sift through for 1 or 2 golden nuggets.

For every Miyamoto Twilight Princess unveiling there was 400 moments of cringe.

Plus the good moments on the directs are just as good as any e3 that I streamed online; Banjo in Smash, Goldeneye yesterday, the Series X unveiling at TGA 2019 - the only tangible difference to me is that the YouTube reaction videos aren’t a live crowd cheering now, but some streamers cheering.
A golden moment is the cringe like Wii music or crab with massive damage or ridge racer and Xbox bros making x signs behind J Allen.

I can understand why there is no e3 anymore, as it’s too expensive, and there are far fewer big budget games these days, buy why not do one every 2 years, man I miss the golden years of e3.

CamHostage

I guess it makes sense, people saying, "Just show me the damned games."

For a console unveiling though, I don't feel it's at all adequate to do it in a taped video piece with just CG effects and flying bulletpoints. I want the box or the device there, in front of people to see and touch and hopefully play (even if those people aren't me.)

Last edited:
I suppose this new method is popular amongst beta zoomers that fear actual real life situations that have the nuance of unpredictability and prefer scripted events. Or people that never learned to detach themselves from themselves and see the world outside themselves.

TLZ

Banned
I agree OP.

Away with the cringe and musicals. Away with all the time wasting fluff.

In with the straight to the point, game after game after game.

TLZ

Banned
I suppose this new method is popular amongst beta zoomers that fear actual real life situations that have the nuance of unpredictability and prefer scripted events. Or people that never learned to detach themselves from themselves and see the world outside themselves.
what-are-you-talking-about-what-the.gif

fermcr

With E3 you have excitement, hype, big announcements, public interaction, fanboys going crazy, etc.

Nintendo Direct and State of play are kind of whimper. It's like having food without salt.

Top Bottom