• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think the Wii has the best disk art

I can't comment on the Wii U, but between all the other consoles it seems to me that the Wii has some of the best art on the game disks themselves.

This occurred to me as I popped in The Last Story.

Has anyone else noticed this? Or am I wrong?

bomblord

Banned
Since OP did not post

15685d1346341592-last-story-ntsc-disc-last-story.jpg

Cade

The Wii U discs have those lovely rounded edges. It's like my fingertips go on a vacation everytime I swap a game.

Yeah, when I read about them pre-release I was like "It can't make a difference."
But the first time I put a disc in, and every time after, I'm just in awe. So soft.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
What? No. That's a very selective sample you're using to represent the whole library... Most Wii discs only have 1 or 2 colors. It's like PS1, every once in a while you'd get a Working Designs that would go the extra mile on the disc image, but the vast majority of them were spendthrift 1-color presses.

It's Xbox and PS3 where full-color disc images are the rule.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I dunno, Wii discs looked cheap and nasty as shit for the first few years.

C9vsMYq.jpg
sI7ey03.jpg
9yH8Ait.jpg

The later ones looked pretty nice though.

Gamecube discs were bad since nearly half the disc ended up being a label. Not as bad on Sony's discs since it takes up a significantly smaller portion of the disc.

jwk94

Seeing this thread made me realize that I haven't touched a game disk since Tomb Raider came out. And even then I got it on the PC first through Steam before buying the PS3 version shortly after.

RoadDogg

Those new play control discs are such cop outs! They just took the GC disc art and stuck it on a full sized disc without resizing it. Can't get any more lazy then that.

Yeah, I agree with OP.

doesn't disk art depend on the game, not the console?

How can a console have the best disk art? Doesn't that depend on the game?

No, not at all really. The console manufacturer decides what NEEDS to be on the disc art. Most Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 discs look pretty bad. There's so much text and logos everywhere. There are a few exceptions, of course.

Also, it's disc, not disk.

WP: "A disc (International English) or disk (American English), from Latin discus which itself derives from Greek δίσκος, is a flat circular object."

Top Bottom