• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

i wanna get into RTS games but don't know where to start

OP, PVP is best way of playing rts games. So prepare to git gud.

One of good ones would be StarCraft 2. Make sure you get one with solid playerbase like this one.

Also its extremely time consuming so I wouldn't recommend trying to play as many as possible. Try to find one you like and stick for some time.

pullcounter

Yeah heaps of people say this game is perfection, i tried a bit of it, certainly a cool formula but i couldn't get into it. Might have been the mission design.. I'm sure it's epic in multiplayer

yeah the single player campaign sucks. click multiplayer and create a game vs AI, that's how I learned and the arbitrary limits they put on your building capabilities are gone,it's so damn enjoyable

pullcounter

Not a fan of SC2, its about fast clicking, amass armies and rush base, and more fast clicking.

I could never get into SC or SC2 after playing SupCom, just having the ability to zoom the camera all the way out to outer space made all those other games feel super limited in that way,but the maps in SC are a lot smaller so zooming out that far wouldn't make much sense 😂 I'm weird

Vae_Victis

Banned
One thing you should keep in mind OP is that "Strategy" is an umbrella term that includes drastically different games at the ends of the spectrum. Real Time Strategy on the other hand is a much more specific definition. To give you a very quick overview to help you orientate if you look/read about Strategy games:

Real-Time Strategy
Examples: Warcraft, Starcraft, Command&Conquer, Age of Empires

The game is played entirely in real time. You collect resources from the map using some of your units, and spend them to build new buildings, develop improvements and create units. It usually ends up in a military fight, but resource efficiency and build order (in what order you build/develop what) are extremely important.

Turn-Based Stategy
Examples: Total War, Heroes of Might and Magic, Civilization, Endless Space

total-war-warhammer-2-recensione-pc-16.jpg

The common element in all of these games is that you tend to play longer matches where you develop and expand an empire in a more meaningful way. You still collect resources to some capacity, and you definitely build, develop and muster military forces, but this "level" of play is turn-based and it contains managerial elements (for example, you have upkeeps that can drain your resources even without spending them, there are random events with various effects, sometimes you have to account for public order and rebellions in cities etc.).

Battles are a completely separate matter from the rest of the game mechanics, and when they happen each game manages them very differently. Sometimes you have very little decisional power and it's mostly a number games solved automatically, other times you might play some kind of positional battle that is also turn-based, or you might even have complete control on the units on the battlefield and the game becomes a full-blown Tactical.

If Real Time Strategy games are for the most part standardized in their mechanics and game flow, Turn-Based Strategy games can vary immensely. Some are incredibly deep on the managerial layer (Europa Universalis) but less focused on the battles side of things, some are lighter on the management but a lot deeper and more engaging with battles (Total War). It's an entire spectrum that really varies on a game-by-game basis.

Everything where you have a good level of managerial control over your empire is often called a Grand Strategy, while other games that focus more on other aspects, like survival, exploration or development of individual characters you control, can be considered hybrids with another genre from which they take concepts and mechanics (for example, I'd call Heroes of Might and Magic an RPG/TBS hybrid).

Tactical
Examples: Company of Heroes, Homeworld, Dawn of War 2

maxresdefault.jpg

Another very wide term that basically only says that 80-to-100% of the focus is given on the military aspects of the game, rather than resource management, faction development or management. Usually in real time, but can also be turn-based (at which point, though, people usually start calling them a Turn-Based RPG or a hybrid, like XCOM); you might still create new units on the spot, you might just have use what you are given. Most add more depth to battles compared to RTS games, by giving more importance to positional combat, use of the environment and specific unit match-ups.

Basically, what you want to look into if you don't like slow build-ups and management.

Construction and Management
Examples: Caesar, Anno, Tropico

maxresdefault.jpg

Most are also called City-Building games. On a technical level they usually play out similar to an RTS, as in everything is confined to a small sandbox "battle-map" played in real-time where you can build and create more or less freely. However, these games have very little to no military aspects, pushing the management aspects up a lot instead. You often have a financial balance than can go in the negative, population needs to satisfy by providing facilities and access to goods, and random events to mess up things for you.

Of course, this is just an overview. There are a lot of games that defy definitions, either because they mix elements of different sub-genres or they do things completely different than most other games. Honourable mentions in this group are games like Stronghold (City-Building/Tactical hybrid), Praetorians (Tactical with light RTS elements) and Majesty (kinda City-Building? Very unique and hard to describe).

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Company of Heroes 1 and 2 are excellent games for a single player campaign as os the first Dawn of War excluding Soul Storm.

Starcraft 2 does a decent job but I got less and less interested as the story continued, thought it was crap halfway through heart of the swarm.

DJT123

Command and Conquer/Red Alert remastered or AOE2 remastered, can't go wrong.

Last edited:

Tschumi

In addition to my earlier post, this is a general one to RTS fans, but the Rise of Nations spinoff, Rise of Legends, is a really cool game. It's got a really fun plot, some funky factions, great gameplay additions and great graphics updates. I'm not sure how easy it is to get these days outside of torrenting.

EDIT: This video is pretty long , and only really focuses on one race (the ''Vinci"), but it's pretty great. Skip along to the final 3rd or 4th of the video to see his settlement already established, but the extended build-up part is pretty instructive too - if a little slow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lanrutcon

In addition to my earlier post, this is a general one to RTS fans, but the Rise of Nations spinoff, Rise of Legends, is a really cool game. It's got a really fun plot, some funky factions, great gameplay additions and great graphics updates. I'm not sure how easy it is to get these days outside of torrenting.

EDIT: This video is pretty long , and only really focuses on one race (the ''Vinci"), but it's pretty great. Skip along to the final 3rd or 4th of the video to see his settlement already established, but the extended build-up part is pretty instructive too - if a little slow.

I remember the single-player campaign being terribly slow. It took ages to actually get some fun toys. Unit unlocks are drip fed to you.

Tschumi

I remember the single-player campaign being terribly slow. It took ages to actually get some fun toys. Unit unlocks are drip fed to you.
well i mean, i guess i was playing it step by step, rather than looking to the end, we went in looking for different things I guess~ I got it from some department store in beijing which had a game shelf in the middle of an echoing lady's coat section, or something, and was just really amazed that it turned out so good when i installed it and gave it a whirl (I also got Far Cry there, in a nice metal box) Came back to it later and it still held up!

longdi

Banned
built a good PC last month and i want to venture outside my comfort zone, i've never played strategy games before minus the fire emblem games, where does one even start? what's the best one currently on the market?
Do you have gamepass for pc? Xboxlive gold?

Download company of heroes 2 and play that first. Imo its a great balance between rts and strategic plays

I think age of empires definitive editions are on gamepass pc too.

CeeJay

You can't go wrong with the Command & Conquer and Age Of Empires games which are both solid RTS games.

Another franchise to check out is Stronghold which is a little like AofE but is a bit more complex in the resource management side of things and there is a lot more scope for creativity with the castle design. Play AofE first and if you decide that you want something more focussed on castle design then Stronghold is a good one to move to.

A game I would recommend as well as an easy introduction to the basic RTS mechanics is FTL. Some might dismiss this as even being an RTS at all but I feel it does have all the essential elements. FTL is fairly simple compared to a lot of RTS games in that all the action takes place on one screen so you don't have to micromanage across a huge area. It has a limited number of units to control compared to the bigger RTS games. It encourages the use of the active pause function so you can manage your units and overall strategy easier during battles without feeling like you are overwhelmed. What FTL does teach is how to build towards a long term strategy and adapt it as you go. It also allows you to learn the concept of micromanaging your units during a small skirmish and how to think on your feet and adapt to the "in the moment" changes needed to win. It has some light resource management and tech upgrade tree. It's an amazing game in it's own right but I feel it's also a great introduction to get you into that RTS type of mindset without feeling overwhelming.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Start with a theme that looks cool and go from there.

Personally I recommend Total Annihilation, Command & Conquer: Red Alert, Age of Empires 1 or 2, Age of Mythology, Supreme Commander, and Starcraft/Warcraft series. If you want some RTSs a bit off the beaten path (in terms of mechanics, not popularity) try Total War franchise, Homeworld series, Sins of a Solar Empire, or Company of Heroes/Dawn of War series.

Lanrutcon

well i mean, i guess i was playing it step by step, rather than looking to the end, we went in looking for different things I guess~ I got it from some department store in beijing which had a game shelf in the middle of an echoing lady's coat section, or something, and was just really amazed that it turned out so good when i installed it and gave it a whirl (I also got Far Cry there, in a nice metal box) Came back to it later and it still held up!

That's one of the things I loved about SupCom:FA...they give you almost all the units and structures in the first mission. The amount of shit you can build in that game is crazy. You wanna pound the enemy bases with intercontinental artillery installations? coat your entire base in nuclear missile silos? build giant death robots the size of the statue of liberty by the dozen? SupCom has you covered.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Great thread. Awesome post @Tschumi I'd just add that the Dune rts's are lots of fun. Sadly I don't think you can get them anywhere besides ebay on discs. Good campaigns. Not too difficult either. The Sega Genesis version was my first RTS lol.

Tschumi

That's one of the things I loved about SupCom:FA...they give you almost all the units and structures in the first mission. The amount of shit you can build in that game is crazy. You wanna pound the enemy bases with intercontinental artillery installations? coat your entire base in nuclear missile silos? build giant death robots the size of the statue of liberty by the dozen? SupCom has you covered.
I've got it on Steam, bought it in really good faith just never found the time. I love it's pedigree with total annihilation... But I've got so much going on, gaming wise.. playing through the persona series, playing Diablo 3 on my PS3 (dundundunpachi suggestion lol) , replaying pillars of Eternity 2, giving mass effect Andromeda a go at the recommendation of bo_hazem.. next up it'll be supcom:fa!

BlackTron

As a huge fan of Starcraft, I have to say SC2 is way more accessible than SC1, but the story in 2 is a total let-down after the amazing writing, cutscenes, mission briefings and lore from the first game. SC1 actually had my favorite sci-fi story ever. I tried to ignore the story in 2, it was so bad I cringed.

Still, the first SC2 Terran campaign had a lot of fun missions and the game did competently bring the Starcraft look/feel up to modern standards.

A decent analogy would be to see SC1 as Super Mario 64 and SC2 as Mario Odyssey. The latter is a competent sequel with a lot of bells and whistles that make it more accessible and easy to play. It controls silky smooth, has nice graphics and is a truly modernized 3D Mario with no major marks against its gameplay. It might be a better choice for a new Mario fan. However despite 64's jankiness, difficulty and overall dated design, it would be truly bad advice to dismiss it outright in favor of Odyssey. On paper, it's not as good. In real practice, it has the soul of 90's game design that you can't replace.

iHaunter

yup. Supreme Commander is the apex of real time strategy design. Its the very peak of what rts can be. But its certainly not for begginers, thats a game you play after you eat strategy games for breakfast

What do you mean ? Because its old ? The original ?

The original is very clunky and the mechanics can get very hard very quick.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I think it would be worth your while to play the following:

Company of Heroes 1&2
Warcraft 3
Homeworld 1
Deserts of Karak (Short and fun)
Command and Conquer

DrJohnGalt

Banned
how is total war Warhammer 2? that seems to be the most popular RTS right now

It's a good place to start. Like somebody else said, there is a learning curve if you're coming in with little or no RTS or TW experience, but it's not too bad. Just be aware that it's a lot more arcade-y than other total war games. It's also good to know that if you have WH1 and WH2 installed together you can play across both maps, which is pretty awesome. If you ever played the tabletop game you'll probably like it. A few of the things I don't like compared to other total war titles are the boring sieges, the OP leaders/heroes, and the shallow diplomacy/politics.

A lot of the mentioned suggestions above are solid but pretty casual RTS games (unless you're playing at an elite level) that don't require much more than throwing more troops at your opponent. It's more about winning the war of attrition than tactics or strategy. Doesn't mean they aren't fun (I've spent time with most of them myself), but if you're looking for a deeper experience with more of a grand strategy element you may be disappointed.

V4skunk

Banned
Just a little nitpick, you gain requisition gradually regardless of how many victory points you have. The ony modifier is that you gain it faster the more you are left to receive from the total pool of 6000 (in a standard game) so basically the more units you got the slower it will go until it stops.
WIC is over rated.
Sure the campaign is OK but the rest is meh and incredibly shallow.
My biggest problem is that all the units are just copy and pasted but with different skins.

The GOAT starting RTS imo

company-of-heroes-cover.jpg
COH2 is where it is at now.
COH series is 100% one of the goat's!
The undisputed king of RTS is god Total Annihilation.

Dune II

This is correct.
I'm hoping Petroglyphs next game is Dune instead of C&C next gen.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
WarCraft III and StarCraft are incredibly fun and good for beginners.

WarCraft III and all its expansions.
An absolute must.

Ill also add Dawn of War to the list.

The sequels were good but I didnt love them as much as the OG with all its expansions.

mcz117chief

My biggest problem is that all the units are just copy and pasted but with different skins.
And that is a bad thing? I enjoy both symmetrical and asymmetrical games. World in Conflict is one of my all time favorites and I still play it from time to time. When it released back in 2007 I played it like a madman for at least 2 years. I was in one of the best clans in the world and we had so much fun back then.

Tschumi

Allow me to exercise my lameness:

There are multiple types of RTS.

Some require resource gathering, some don't, some have some other form of resource. Some are full 3D, some are partially 3D, some - some of the very best - are 2D. I'll suggest.... 3 (that number may change) games which I guess represent a good spread.

1) World in Conflict.
An descendent of the superb 'Ground Control', this game came out in 2007 or something but is arguably to this day the best looking RTS. It doesn't involve base building or resource gathering - you just [augment your steadily building] requisition points by holding key points - so the combat is pretty fluid. The visuals - fully 3D and gorgeous, full of amazing effects - are fantastic, and the gameplay is everything you might expect from a third iteration of a gaming vision. This is without doubt the single greatest 'modern warfare' simulation RTS out there.

2) Age of Empires 2: The Conquerors Expansion
This is the gold standard high water mark for RTS gameplay. Get the original version if you can - Ensemble's scripting is far superior to any remakes. You just can't go wrong with this game - it includes the OG AoE2, Age of Kings - it offers endless replayability and some really good campaigns.

Edit: the below gif is of a remastered faction, i think, it was the best i could find. Real game looks basically identical apart from building and tree sprites.

WIKY.gif

3) Homeworld 1+2 Remastered
You have to play these games. I believe they're on steam in HD versions... but they're just perfection. Visually stunning, great gameplay, amazing music, epic stories, they're not super replayable but they are just titans of the genre. Basic resource gathering that carries over between missions powers a robust gameplay model.

BleakDisguisedBoutu-size_restricted.gif

4) Anno 1440/1800
You have to play this Austrian series, and I have to recommend 1800 because it's the most recent and more accessible gameplay model. It's also gorgeous. The reason I include 1440 here is because it's almos equally accessible, and a lot of fun. Older titles are less polished. This game brings resource gathering to a new level with really complex production trees and labour management - it's pretty much the whole game. So only play this if you're into that stuff.

WebbedQuerulousAndeancat-size_restricted.gif

5) Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom
This is the Impressions City Builder I choose. Caesar 3 is probably the best, but this is the most polished, beautiful, and controlled. Set in ancient China, you build cities for independently acting AI controlled sprites that move around, take jobs, complete tasks, and work together to give you a a) pretty city that is b) economically self-perpetuating. It's a really, really, really fun game type that relies a lot on things like city layout planning and such.

R800x0

6) Majesty 2.
Last but not least (turns out I did 6) this is an INCREDIBLE, hugely underrated RTS game with really unique gameplay. Think of this as being the dude who hands out WoW's quests. You build a town, build guild halls, they spawn AI heroes who wander around responding to your banners (quests you can place on locations, enemies, etc) for gold, experience, which they pump back into the economic buildings of your town (buying potions at marketplaces), which your taxman collects income from for your war chest. You also have god powers on cooldown that you can use to help your town along. It's an amazing gameplay system. You can carry your heroes over into the next mission (for a cost) and by the end of the day you can have high level heroes walking around in epic lootz kicking serious ass. It's also a really challenging game.

Edit: you can set how much gold those banners offer for reward, you need to put up more to attract more/better heroes, this is really cool, especially when you dump 10k gold on a boss and watch every hero and their pet marmot march to their deaths trying to get the duckets.

ps. this is like the only way I could get images of the game, google search got nuthin'

EDIT:

7) Rise of Legends

Just wanna add this in, I posted it on the next page but I wanna let it be more visible. I mentioned this game early - a spin-off to Rise of Nations. They've got some really funky additions to the gameplay, 3 fantasy races with drastically different playing styles, flying units (flying trade carts for example), a cool way of building cities, full 3D and some really nicely detailed units, a pretty fun campaign plot with tons of voice acting, just all in all a really cool riff on the classic RoN formula.

... this video is pretty long , and only really focuses on one race (the ''Vinci"), but it's pretty great. Skip along to the final 3rd or 4th of the video to see his settlement already established, but the extended build-up part is pretty instructive too - if a little slow.

I wanna bump this for the following reasons:
- I'm proud of this post
- Other threads have been talking about "special games" and RTS games are hella special
- RTS games are the truth and they need exposure.
- I wonder if OP ever played many RTS games...

Top Bottom