• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I want another Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes, goddamn it

Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes came out of nowhere for me. in 2011. I had never played the Might & Magic series before, and I had never heard of this game in particular.

header.jpg

The game came out for the DS in 2009, and was rereleased for PS3, 360 and PC two years later. I watched the Giant Bomb quick look around Christmas time 2011, months after the game came out. I forget exactly why I bothered to do so, but it probably had to do with either a winter PSN sale, or Giant Bomb's end-of-the-year deliberations.

I bought the game and played it obsessively over the winter break. It was simply fantastic. It's a plot-driven puzzle game with RPG elements. I had never played anything like it.

There are five main characters as whom you play. You form lines with your units to make them attack enemies or build walls, and consume MP to use magic powers. You have to anticipate what the enemy will do with its units so you can properly counter their tactics. It seems like standard puzzle-y stuff, but it's super addictive. You also walk around towns, talk to NPCs, and find equipment.

Seriously. This game came out of nowhere for me and I played it until I had beaten it. It was "one of those games" that seldom come around.

Sadly, the game did not get any sequel, despite having been very well-received critically, with an average rating of 84. It must not have sold well, and that's a goddamn shame.

The game is currently 10$ on Steam. I very much recommend that you buy it. It's a long game, it's great, and it's well-worth your time and money.

Skulldead

Me too, they could just make RPG element a little better and balance some spell, i would greatly play another one.

Oh God, yes, me three. This and Gyromancer were two of my favourite games on XBLA, "puzzle" RPGs were so good around that time before the genre seemed to disappear.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Capybara is about to unveil a game at PAX, though thus far none of their games have been similar.

It won't be Might & Magic, but you can hope for something in the strategy realm at least.

Tizoc

Me five
I really enjoy the game, altho i dislike some aspects of it, i found it a fun match 3 rpg hybrid

Dont make me reply this game op
Fuck it gonna go order the nds version if i can find a copy for cheap to play on my 3ds aaaaargh

RedToad64

It was one of the Games with Gold titles back on Xbox 360 a few years ago. I'm really glad that I downloaded it, as I no interest until I just went through my catalog. Seriously addicting.

Probably the only puzzle game with a story mode that I've ever 100% beaten. And I couldn't put the game down until I had done so and finished all the optional puzzles.

It gave me a looot of goodwill towards Capy, but unfortunately none of their other games have lived up to the same experience for me since.

Arthea

who doesn't?

the game was critically acclaimed right from the start, it had to sell real bad, because how else we never got a sequel?

Fbh

Easily one of my favorite DS games.

I also purchased the mobile version but found the controls to be really badly optimized for phones. They are extremely unresponsive, it's like it's still calibrated for a stylus input instead of a finger.
Thankfully on a tablet it plays fine.

This game is great. I played the hell out of it on DS, and it's been sitting on my steam wishlist for a full 5 years now waiting for the game+DLC to get cheap enough that buying it purely to play the DLC makes sense.

Arthea

This game is great. I played the hell out of it on DS, and it's been sitting on my steam wishlist for a full 5 years now waiting for the game+DLC to get cheap enough that buying it purely to play the DLC makes sense.

I could have forgotten, but dlc is for multi I think, and I'm not sure that many people play it these days, it is an old game.

Tizoc

Dude
The game has gone on sale multiple times over the past few years
Id know because i saw it go for $5 or less overtime
Just buy the game with steam credit to get it without having spent any real money

Maedhros

YESS!

In fact... there's nothing like it out there, is it? I want to play something like it again...

I had more than 300h on this game... just playing online on Steam and local on the DS.

Looks like a fun mobile game
by that I mean it looks like a game I could have a lot of fun playing on my mobile phone, because I don't have my 3DS with me as often because I've opted for my switch at the moment.

I wish they'd make more Might & Magic games period. X was such a fun little blobber in the vein of the originals. Shame that the Heroes line seems to be having such a hard time finding its footing. 7 by all accounts is still buggy as hell to this day.

But yeah, Clash of Heroes was brilliant.

They gave it for free with GWG iirc. Had no idea what it was about. Had no high hopes. Game turned out to be amazing. Truly a curve-ball for me. Been wanting more ever since.

Simple and addictive gameplay. There's always room for improvement, but I loved the formula. I'd buy a sequel day 1.

Mesoian

Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes came out of nowhere for me. in 2011. I had never played the Might & Magic series before, and I had never heard of this game in particular.

header.jpg

The game came out for the DS in 2009, and was rereleased for PS3, 360 and PC two years later. I watched the Giant Bomb quick look around Christmas time 2011, months after the game came out. I forget exactly why I bothered to do so, but it probably had to do with either a winter PSN sale, or Giant Bomb's end-of-the-year deliberations.

I bought the game and played it obsessively over the winter break. It was simply fantastic. It's a plot-driven puzzle game with RPG elements. I had never played anything like it.

There are five main characters as whom you play. You form lines with your units to make them attack enemies or build walls, and consume MP to use magic powers. You have to anticipate what the enemy will do with its units so you can properly counter their tactics. It seems like standard puzzle-y stuff, but it's super addictive. You also walk around towns, talk to NPCs, and find equipment.

Seriously. This game came out of nowhere for me and I played it until I had beaten it. It was "one of those games" that seldom come around.

Sadly, the game did not get any sequel, despite having been very well-received critically, with an average rating of 84. It must not have sold well, and that's a goddamn shame.

The game is currently 10$ on Steam. I very much recommend that you buy it. It's a long game, it's great, and it's well-worth your time and money.

FUCK YES.

Best puzzle game in years. This is still a multiplayer favorite in my house. I wish the PC version wasn't pass to play though.

I guess it didn't very well but man, what an incredible game.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
we all do my friend. But we wont get it, we dont deserve it :(

Clash of Heroes feels like one of those games where I actually am kinda glad that it didn't get a sequel, but maybe that's largely because I loved Puzzle Quest and hated PQ2, Galactrix, and all the other sequels that came after, and didn't want that fate for this.

bryehn

Oh God, yes, me three. This and Gyromancer were two of my favourite games on XBLA, "puzzle" RPGs were so good around that time before the genre seemed to disappear.

Forgot about Gyromancer. I wonder if it's BC. Pretty sure I got Clash of Heroes on PS3, so I'm SoL there.

HEY FOLKS. I am glad people dug the game. We are super proud of it.

Sadly, I can't see a sequel ever being made. Capy is busy as hell on finishing delayed games and making new ones, and all of the *amazing* producers from Ubi Paris whom we worked with on the game formed / work at Amplitude.

Arthea

Clash of Heroes feels like one of those games where I actually am kinda glad that it didn't get a sequel, but maybe that's largely because I loved Puzzle Quest and hated PQ2, Galactrix, and all the other sequels that came after, and didn't want that fate for this.

I can't say I hated sequels, they aren't that bad, but none is as good as PQ, unfortunately, but that doesn't mean that the same would have happen to Clash of Heroes.
I guess we'll never know.

EmiPrime

One of my favourite DS games. I couldn't put it down once I started, I must have played it solidly for a week or more.

Sadly, I can't see a sequel ever being made. Capy is busy as hell on finishing delayed games and making new ones, and all of the *amazing* producers from Ubi Paris whom we worked with on the game formed / work at Amplitude.

Thanks for replying!

Well, that is very sad to read. Although, I don't really care much about the Might & Magic universe. You guys could make a spiritual successor! Invent your own mythology! Just bring that gameplay back. Pretty please with sugar on top.

Brokun

Well, shit. I really enjoyed this game as well. Sad to see there are no whisperings of a sequel.

Vitacat

Awww. Too bad. But thanks for letting us know.

This thread warms my exhausted-from-GDC heart. Didn't mean to be a bummer!

Make a spiritual successor and everything will be forgiven! ;)

No, seriously. Please make a spiritual successor. Put it in the Capybara Games Universe in which your games take place, or something.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Oh man, that game is just amazing.
I own it on DS, Steam and Android. I really need more of this. But the difficulty spike in the last chapter is just fucked up.

Kuga

Once in a while I'll play through the game on Android or Steam again. It's just plain fun. I still have the DS version somewhere too...

NoNeed4Mercy

Neo Member
my (ex) girlfriend and i used to play the shit out of this game..

i have to say THIS game brought my girlfriend into videogames and till today she asks every year, "is there a new one, is there a new one"... Sadly no..

There was an IOS clone game http://www.axionlogic.com/chronosgear/

but thats it.. I would totally be okay with a spiritial successor.. but this game was awesome

AAK

Had a ton of fun playing this game. But I want to see more new IP's from Capybara. They are the pride and joy among Toronto game developers.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I was already in love with Critter Crunch when I got into Clash of Heroes, so I was easily ensnared by it. It's such a damn good game - I beat it on 360 then double dipped on DS. Would buy a sequel or similar game instantly.

RamaKun

My wife and I both loved this game. Everything from the addicting gameplay to the adorable sprites was just a joy to experience.

I'm sad to hear a sequel isn't in the cards, but if we ever got a spiritual successor I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Yes yes yes.
I played this because of GwG on the 360. Never before I've been blown away by a game I knew nothing about before. This game was brilliant, I loved it.

Top Bottom