• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I want Sleep Mode on my home console!

Damn, Sleep mode on the PSP rocks. No saving, or restarting from a check point. Just put the machine to sleep and go.

This is a feature I'd love to see on a home console as there are times when I have to leave to go shopping, or a friend drops over and I don't want to be rude. It would certainly beat just pausing my machine indefinitely and turning off the TV and receiver.

Who's with me?!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Something like this would definitely be awesome. As long as I can put the console to sleep, and not worry about the power button being pushed to completely turn it off, we have a deal.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Next gen definitely needs some type of sleep or suspend mode. With X360 and PS3 using HDD drives, I dont see why they can't just dump whatever you're doing to the hard drive and suspend the console and resume wherever you left off

I spent more time on handhelds just because of sleep mode alone

I never use sleep mode o_O
Not on the notebook, GBA, DS or the desktop PC.
I dunno, I guess I feel better turning them off

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Wario64 said:
Next gen definitely needs some type of sleep or suspend mode. With X360 and PS3 using HDD drives, I dont see why they can't just dump whatever you're doing to the hard drive and suspend the console and resume wherever you left off

The load time wouldn't be instantaneous, though (though it should be faster than loading off a disc).

PS3 will probably offer this for movie playing, at least. I think the new discs have a feature for saving bookmarks movies to a HDD or whatever. So even if you stop one movie mid way through and then take it out and put another one in, when you go back to the first one it can pick up from where you left off. It'd be nice to have that for games too..although for instaneous loads, you'd need to keep the data in RAM.

Something like my DS or gba are fine in sleep mode, but I would worry about putting a huge expensive console like my 360 to sleep, I would prefer to turn it off completely.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Regarding sleep mode on portables, I have a question that's been bugging me:

Is it bad to charge a NDS/PSP while it's in sleep mode?

Ranger X

Why? Just press pause.
I can see the use on a portable machine (does save batteries a bit) but seriously, some people are coming home you just press pause and watch something else on TV...

Eric_S

Ranger X said:
Why? Just press pause.
I can see the use on a portable machine (does save batteries a bit) but seriously, some people are coming home you just press pause and watch something else on TV...

It'd save electricity == save money, for one.

Trurl

Banned
This is a Wii thread in disguise.
At least I think that the Wii will offer something exactly like what TTOB wants.

Ranger X

The Take Out Bandit said:
Because I don't want the system on and sucking in dust and such more so than it already does. Not to mention generating heat.

Sleep mode FTW!

You don't want the system on... Will a sleep mode definetely save some money on your electricity bill?

Sucking in dust... cover your console ( i always do - except while playing )

Generating heat... with "pause" you will never overheat anything. You could even put some clothes on your console and it wouldn't get more heat than when you actually play.

So what are the real arguments to convince people we need this? :)

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I never use sleep mode... then again, I don't own a PSP that has low battery life, and all of the DS games I own either let me save whenver I want, or I can get to a save pretty quickly...

As for consoles, the only game I can think of that would benefit from a sleep mode would be Hitman: Blood Money, because of the retarded save method I heard that they have (only temp saves that don't stay after you turn the console off, only way to save properly is to beat a level)...

Just save and turn the thing off... consoles don't need a sleep mode - wouldn't that cause more hardware problems turning off and turning on internal components partially that often?

WalkMan

Banned
:lol I use sleep mode on my PSP all the time. Saves you a lot of annoyance in that you don't need to go through the intro and can pick up where you left off.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Who's with me?!
Definitely, I've said as much a few times in the past.

gofreak said:
..although for instaneous loads, you'd need to keep the data in RAM.
I believe that's exactly what the PSP sleep mode does - drains a trickle of power from the battery so as to maintain RAM state. Depending on the game it's not always perfectly instantaneous as the game may need a second or two to spin up the disc for streamed content like music, but it beats the pants off having reload a piece of game software from scratch, bypassing the normal wait time imposed by various splash screens, navigating the main menu, loading a save game, etc.

FlyinJ said:
Is it bad to charge a NDS/PSP while it's in sleep mode?
No, not at all. You can charge with no worries while they're in sleep mode.

Eric_S

Ranger X said:
You don't want the system on... Will a sleep mode definetely save some money on your electricity bill?

Yes, though how much depends on the pause screen the game uses.

Ranger X

Skilotonn said:
As for consoles, the only game I can think of that would benefit from a sleep mode would be Hitman: Blood Money, because of the retarded save method I heard that they have (only temp saves that don't stay after you turn the console off, only way to save properly is to beat a level)...

Well, in Hitman it's not all that much of a flaw because a level needs alot of planning and you will start the level again many times before completing it or before you discover some optimal way to do it full stealth. This is exactly the kind of game i would reload the level instead to taking it right in middle the day after or something like that.
If you need just a couple of hours, or minutes .... press pause ;)

I don't own a PSP that has low battery life...

That's got nothing to do with it Troll-y. Take your trolling ass back to 1995 where the DS and Nintendo are relevant.

It's a convenience issue.

Not every game has a save system designed where you can just resume where you left off. Sleep mode allows for that. I would put my PSP to sleep and then when I had the time a week later come back and get right back into the swing of things. Not waste time backtracking.

Did I say anything about my electricity bill retard? No, I stated the reasons I don't want it on. Generating heat and sucking in dust.

Saves you a lot of annoyance in that you don't need to go through the intro and can pick up where you left off.

This mother****er knows the score.

Koren

I'm with you. I LOVE this function on DS... That's a pity that it doesn't work with GBA games :( I only turn my DS down to change the game. When I arrive at work in the mornig, I just close the lid of my DS, open it on the evening, that's so convenient.

Still, I'm not sure that it's so useful on a home console...

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Ranger X said:

Sucking in dust... cover your console ( i always do - except while playing )

Generating heat... with "pause" you will never overheat anything. You could even put some clothes on your console and it wouldn't get more heat than when you actually play.

Sleep mode is a one button solution to essentially pause a game and power down all non-essential components of the system. It maintains a stream of power that's just enough to maintain memory state but mechanical parts like fans and drives are spun down so you can basically leave the game paused indefinitely without generating wear and tear to the game system. It then lets you return to the last place you were in the game with less preamble - no launching the game from splash screen, loading a game save, etc.

I doubt that sleep mode is really that difficult for a manufacturer to implement and it's simply an option in addition to the more traditional methods of powering down a system, so there's really no reason to be opposed to it in any way.

Ranger X

kaching said:
Sleep mode is a one button solution to essentially pause a game and power down all non-essential components of the system. It maintains a stream of power that's just enough to maintain memory state but mechanical parts like fans and drives are spun down so you can basically leave the game paused indefinitely without generating wear and tear to the game system. It then lets you return to the last place you were in the game with less preamble - no launching the game from splash screen, loading a game save, etc.

I doubt that sleep mode is really that difficult for a manufacturer to implement and it's simply an option in addition to the more traditional methods of powering down a system, so there's really no reason to be opposed to it in any way.

I agree but basically my point is that if i go away from the game for a long time, i'll simply save and quit. Sleep mode is good if (in your life style or something) you'd quit the game many times for a short period of time (this rings more handhelds to me).
I understand it's still is convenient but do you think someone would think it's a necessity?
Anyway, i'm alien enough already for thinking Ipods are useless. I can understand some would need a sleep mode ;) After all, i like my computer on sleep mode.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Not all games allow you to save right away though. Developers should at least give the option to suspend gameplay by making a soft/temporary save file, kind of like in Shenmue or BOF5. Once you resume gameplay, that temporary save is deleted so you can't cheat the game

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Yeah, sleep mode is one of the best things to happen to handheld gaming as of late, especially when it comes to certain games for PSP for example, where gaming sessions can take a long time without any way to save your progress (Lumines is a good example). I'd say in the case of PSP and those kind of games, sleep mode is not just a convinience - it's a neccessity.

Juice

Damn, Sleep mode on the PSP rocks. No saving, or restarting from a check point. Just put the machine to sleep and go.

This is a feature I'd love to see on a home console as there are times when I have to leave to go shopping, or a friend drops over and I don't want to be rude. It would certainly beat just pausing my machine indefinitely and turning off the TV and receiver.

Who's with me?!

Yeah, it shocks me that Wii is the only console capable of a low-power sleep.

****, I don't even care if the 360 is still drawing the same amount of power, if there was just some way I could keep it paused for a few hours and shut the **** up simultaneously, I'd be ecstatic.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Vark said:
Didn't Iwata basically say the Wii has a sleep mode?

Basically yes. I think he started by saying how convenient the DS sleep mode was and how it would be good for a console to have something similar. But then he moved straight onto Wii Connect 24.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Wii has a proper sleep mode. It suits the whole remote idea and the pick-up-and-play philosophy they keep going on about.

all consoles need this but i doubt they will

trashsm2cl.jpg

is the dog stuck lOL

its funny you bring this up, I just noticed Pursuit Force for the PSP has a wierd bug/design where you can only use sleep mode during actual play, it won't sleep from the menus.

Its the only PSP game i've seen that does it, and its surprisingly noticable. I thought i was going crazy until i searched about it online.

BTW, Pursuit Force is an awesome game.

I'll get Pursuit Force when I find it cheap. It sounds awesome, but the difficulty sounds like something that would piss me off at $40. :p

I haven't had any problems with the difficulty in the US version. But i'm only like 10-20% in. So far i don't get why this game had such a backlash. The gameplay is pretty sick, unlike anything i've seen before.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Ranger X said:
Well, in Hitman it's not all that much of a flaw because a level needs alot of planning and you will start the level again many times before completing it or before you discover some optimal way to do it full stealth. This is exactly the kind of game i would reload the level instead to taking it right in middle the day after or something like that.
If you need just a couple of hours, or minutes .... press pause ;)

I haven't tried the full game myself, but it basically means that you HAVE to finish the level in one setting - what happens after your hours of planning and multiple plannings and you're ready to do it right in one go, then something comes up and you have to leave? You shouldn't have to have the system on running till you come back, or have a sleep mode...

The only reason I see they did this for was to make it it "harder" - it just doesn't seem smart... it's basically saying that I always have to be in the mood to finish it in one go...

That's got nothing to do with it Troll-y. Take your trolling ass back to 1995 where the DS and Nintendo are relevant.

It's a convenience issue.

Not every game has a save system designed where you can just resume where you left off. Sleep mode allows for that. I would put my PSP to sleep and then when I had the time a week later come back and get right back into the swing of things. Not waste time backtracking.

You of all people shouldn't be accusing people of being trolls... Pot, Kettle, black, yada yada...

Like I said, console games don't usually have the saving problems of whatever games you're playing, nor have the problem of battery life like the PSP, where sleep mode matters...

And what the hell? You leave the thing sleep for a week? I'd bet that that wasn't the intended length for it, and it sure as hell wouldn't be recommended for a console... plus, from what you're saying, it sounds like you're running from the loading on the PSP - also not a problem on a console...

Sleep mode just doesn't make sense on a console, that's all I'm saying - the majority of console games don't have an unusual saving system, so you can easily find/make a save and turn it off...

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I'll get Pursuit Force when I find it cheap. It sounds awesome, but the difficulty sounds like something that would piss me off at $40. :p

It's the European version that's difficult. The US version seems much easier, and it has a checkpoint system which I dont think the European version had

US gamers are too weaksauce, seems so :|

And what the hell? You leave the thing sleep for a week? I'd bet that that wasn't the intended lenght for it, and it sure as hell wouldn't be recommended for a console...

Who gives a damn what it's intended length is. It works for weeks at a time, so what? Is that going to cause you to lose sleep at night? No. It's a useful feature.

So Mr. Wizard, why wouldn't it be recommended for a console? Works fine for my Powerbook. Works fine for my PSP. Oh great sage, enlighten us.

plus, from what you're saying, it sounds like your running from the loading on the PSP - also not a problem on a console...

Stop beating a dead horse this isn't about your perceived failings of the PSP. =_=

Sleep mode just doesn't make sense on a console, that's all I'm saying - the majority of console games don't have an unusual saving system, so you can easy find/make a save and turn it off...

We all play games. We all know how the save systems work, and how horribly inconsistent said save systems are.

I like Sleep mode. I find it's a useful feature. I want it on my P$3.

US gamers are too weaksauce, seems so :|

I just know my tolerance. I can't speak for anyone else. I'm sure C-Warrior would love it if you hammered rusty nails into his scrotum while he played Super Mario. :p

Pellham

Banned
Ranger X said:

Little known secret: You save more money on your electricity bill by leaving your computer on/in standby then by shutting it off and on every time you use it. So yes, the ability to leave a console on standby would rock.

What if you're NOT playing a game? I'd like to be able to power my machine on near-instantaneously.

Anyway I thought in addition to the Wii, the PS3 was going to have this feature?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I've always wondered what the details behind the PS2's low power sleep mode are. Does it just shut off but leave the stupid light on?

Slim line PS2s with the network adapter should be able to do what the wii does. There's no setup for it, but I wonder if it is technically possible.

Ranger X

Pellham said:
Little known secret: You save more money on your electricity bill by leaving your computer on/in standby then by shutting it off and on every time you use it. So yes, the ability to leave a console on standby would rock.

You know what, i never shut down my computer and my PS2 is also always on stand by.
This is fine. The guys speaks more about if you leave a game there it would be like if you leave your game on in your PSP or computer, you can go right back at it.

I understand the convenience issue, it's just that this thread seems to stress it like if it's really a need.

**** sleep mode in a console, I wish I could turn the goddamn PSP off in the first place. If you don't play it for a week the battery goes.

Y2Kev

Kobun Heat said:
**** sleep mode in a console, I wish I could turn the goddamn PSP off in the first place. If you don't play it for a week the battery goes.

What do you mean? You don't use the PSP enough or yours won't shut off?

Y2Kev

Kobun Heat said:
The PSP -- not just mine, but in general -- eats battery even if it's "off."

Oh, yeah. I had that problem too. I thought your PSP actually wouldn't shut off or something. It doesn't seem to ever be "off" as far as battery usage goes. That's interesting.

I was playing GTA and I put it to sleep mode instead of shutting it down...it must have nicked it on my way up to my bed cause it turned back on. Thought there was a poltergeist or something.

Instead of Sleep Mode, I really wish all handheld games (especially RPGs) would have a save anywhere or quick save feature. At least that way you can switch to another game while keeping the same progress.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Who gives a damn what it's intended length is. It works for weeks at a time, so what? Is that going to cause you to lose sleep at night? No. It's a useful feature.

So Mr. Wizard, why wouldn't it be recommended for a console? Works fine for my Powerbook. Works fine for my PSP. Oh great sage, enlighten us.

Don't worry, I don't give a damn either, and I sure as hell won't lose any sleep over anything like this either... it just seems silly...

And I'd figure that something would go off in your mind thinking that leaving a console with a disc in it with some sort of partial shutdown for so long wouldn't seem smart, but hey, that's just me... I'd be fine by spending about 30 seconds more getting to a save point in shutting it off...

Consoles aren't PC's in case you didn't know...

I probaly don't play the same games you play, which is why I don't see the need or concern for a sleep mode in a console...

Stop beating a dead horse this isn't about your perceived failings of the PSP. =_=

Of course it isn't, I'm just going off what you're saying - everything I've said so far was a response to what you posted... you said that you agreed with the guy that said that you found it a hassle to go through the intro, menus and loading of a game, and I noted that - don't get your panties in a bunch...

We all play games. We all know how the save systems work, and how horribly inconsistent said save systems are.

I like Sleep mode. I find it's a useful feature. I want it on my P$3.

Again, I haven't come across a game that had me wishing for a sleep mode, whether it was for a console or handheld - you obviously have, so if you want it, good for you... I still don't think it's essential for a console...

I'd like to see one on the PS3 but if Sony doesn't add the feature i guess their take is that you can just pause the game without fear of running out of batteries at home.

Top Bottom