• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I want someone to remaster Killzone 2 to kickstart enthusiasm for the franchise

EDIT: I apologize for the unintentionally misleading original thread title. I am not implying a remaster is in the works; just discussing that possibility and how/why it might be good.

EDIT 2: I am also not suggesting GG themselves needs to do this remaster/remake. Absolutely a capable shop like Bluepoint -- who are handling the Shadow of the Colossus reMAKE -- can and should handle it. Then GG proper can reap the benefits.

EDIT 3: Looking at replies, it seems that the POV and FOV was another point of contention that could be fairly easily resolved.

Bear with me here. I'm not claiming to be some genius with a grand plan. I just really love the franchise (not really... but I DO really love KZ2) and feel there's something there worth saving, and maybe I have an idea of how to do it. Maybe it's dumb. But this is a discussion board after all.

(Also I haven't been paying attention to deep GG news, so if this post is behind the times and states obvious shit, I do apologize.)

---

Killzone as a franchise seems dead in the water. Shadow Fall got a really brutal reaction, 3 was solid but really seemed rather forced compared to 2 which felt more like a person tour-de-force, and then GG scored a huge hit with the utterly different Horizon. All these things imply that Killzone is taking a big long pause with little indication for a comeback.

GG doesn't need Killzone. Sony doesn't need Killzone (though, actually, it WOULD be nice to have a first-party hit FPS again, wouldn't it?).

But I think GG could get public interest in Killzone again, and given PS4's mainstream positioning, now would be a great time for it. AND I even think I know how to start this glorious comeback.

I think it should start with... a Killzone 2 (and maybe 3 for good measure, in the same package) remake/remaster.

Thinking back to it --

Killzone 2 was a critical hit, a rare 90+ on Metacritic (and remember that this game had HUGE negative baggage going against it -- that whole target render thing, KZ1 being a horror show, "Halo killer" verbiage being ascribed <wrongly> to Sony -- so scoring that high was an extra difficult feat to achieve... this wasn't like GTA IV where everyone was jsut waiting to give it a 10/10). It was, however, at the same time a fairly divisive game.

Some people fuckin' hated Killzone 2, and they probably always will. Whether it's Rico's lines, or whether is the game's "feel," it really turns off some people. And that's fine. Haters gonna hate, and I don't mean that in a way that disparages haters. I just mean that KZ2 is not for everyone.

But I also know that the game's uniqueness was hugely successful with many people as well. I was one of those people. On paper, it's the kind of game that snobby gamer types such as myself should hate. I mean:

- A team of 4 tough-talking, swearing, macho male soldiers (a-la Gears, but Gears did it first).
- A seemingly generic gray/black industrial color palette (a-la Gears, but Gears did it first).
- A fairly generic story (storm the enemy fortress, kill the scary henchman introduced early in the game) (again really not too different from Gears, at least the henchman part).
- A multiplayer mode not very different from the competitors' but less polished than the top tier ones, with server browsers and without smooth matchmaking.

Yet, despite that truly eye-roll-inducing list of attributes, this game is truly my favorite "war shooter" type of campaign, and by extension I enjoyed the vs. multiplayer too. In my humble opinion (but I do know that many on here also felt the same, so I'm not some wacky outlier), KZ2 was a shock masterpiece that always felt like GG poured all their blood and sweat into it, and they could never match that level of output before or after. For Slayer fans, it's sort of like their Reign in Blood, you know? An outlier, an oddly unexpected masterpiece. Like, we know the guys in Slayer can PLAY -- and we know GG can make technically STUNNING games -- but can Slayer ever write another Angel Of Death? Can GG ever design a campaign as good as KZ2's?

KZ2 just works somehow, way better than the above list of bullet points makes it seem it has any right to, really. That gray/black industrial atmosphere? It looks AMAZING somehow. I mean you can almost, like, feel and smell Helghan. It sounds like it'd look generic... but it ISN'T generic. It's beautiful in its ugliness. It really is. (And by the same token, when it departs from the ugly ground, it's beautiful in a more literal way in the space Cruiser level, showing that GG can do that too. Similarly, that desert level had a different visual feel that was nice as well.)

I remember moments in KZ2 where I felt despair, like I was in a battle, where I am just a small part of it, and I'm simply not going to make it, and god damn it, I need to make it. It is a rare game that can immerse one to that extent, and KZ2 was one of those rare games. Without VR, that level of immersion is a serious achievement.

Furthermore, those death animations (pushed back then by PR as "ballet of death" or something like that) were really something. I am not sure why, but KZ3 never had that same feeling of bullets impacting enemy bodies in the same stunningly John Woo-esque way. Again, sounds whatever, but it really was NOT whatever. Those kills looked and felt personal.

The level design -- it was never given the credit it deserved. I recall those levels being quite vertical and interesting, with tons of tactical options and a good cover implementation. It was somewhere between Modern Warfare's mostly-ultra-linear lock-on shooting gallery and Halo's large free-form battles. It was a very nice niche (I don't claim it was anything UNIQUE, per se, but it was a very very very very fun set of tactically interesting battles, which is not exactly super-common).

(There were a few difficulty-imbalanced stages, however, and 1 or 2 infinite-spawn situations which definitely stick in the memory and undo what should've been a highly-praised game for its level design.)

You know what? Even the story was pretty good. Was it anything special? No, it was not, but it was straight-forward and logical, and with a really excellent starting speech and what I thought to be an effective ending highlighting the futility that a single soldier in a large war might experience. OK, that last point I know many people take issue with, but I'm just saying, that feeling of futility -- they had something there. The main problem, of course, was Rico and all of Rico's bullshit, including his final action in the game. There's really no excuse for that. Of course, I never claimed the game is perfect either. Just that it had a nice narrative drive and didn't fuck up, Rico excepted.

Finally, the feel of the shooting and moving I, personally, loved. I know it was divisive, but I also know many loved it, the game sold well (with a demo available), and the sequel did well too. I don't know how they achieved the feel exactly, but the "weightiness" of motion really did it for me. Somehow it is the one non-VR FPS that really makes me feel the weight of all that weaponry, making me feel I am "there." I know MANY people hated it, but I think that they really hated was the scientifically-to-be-way-too-high input lag. I hypothesize (but could be wrong) that fixing that would maybe fix people's issues. Not sure though. One way or another, KZ3 pretty much got rid of the KZ2 "feel," which IMO caused it to lose uniqueness. Again, I could be off on this one.

Yet, even for those that generally loved the game, it had a few issues that were tough to ignore. It had those loading glitches; it had an insane difficulty spike late in the game; it had horrible friendly AI behavior; it had Rico; the online wasn't user-friendly; it had big input lag; and it didn't coop for which it was near-perfectly set up. All but one of those issues (RICO!!!) is fixable.

---

That beings me to my point. Killzone 2 was a big critical hit; it was a solid commercial hit; and it still remains the pinnacle of the franchise. I believe GG can deliver a remake that can make people take notice of the franchise again.

- Remaster it with all the usual trappings -- 1080p, 60fps. That's the base of it.
- Fix the large input lag while trying to retain the "weighty feel."
- Add some stuff to the levels to make some rooms and areas look less empty, so that it looks more like it belongs in this console generation.

- Fix the "Rico/etc. dies and begs for your help, but they don't reciprocate when you die" thing which is infuriating. I believe KZ3 already fixed it.
- Make the online matchmaking system smooth and simple. (This isn't my area of expertise, but IIRC the server browser feel of it was a turn-off to those used to the ease of Halo and CoD matchmaking. Not sure. Just bring it up to speed.)

- Rebalance the difficulty somewhat. Normal should be a bit more difficult. Hard should be a bit less difficult. The middle boss battle needs to not be stupidly easy. And the final fight should be made less frustrating: just add a couple checkpoints.
- Most, most, most, MOST importantly: Make the game 4-player coop, online. God, I would pay serious $$$ for that alone. If ever there was a game just begging for online coop, it's KZ2. (Yes, I know, it has lone-wolf sections. But just Halo it. We can suspend disbelief for a bit.)

Here's why IMO this remaster/remake -- particularly if renamed (The Helghan Trilogy or something along those lines) and packaged as at least KZ2+3 together -- could make a dent in people's goodwill toward Killzone, to the point where they might ask some true sequels.

Why would I think this would be effective?

Because Killzone 2's beautiful atmosphere, beautiful presentation of violence (the death animations and blood effects, etc.), strong vertical/tactically fruitful level design, immersive controls combined with a modernized visual presentation with denser geometry and particularly 60fps smoothness would truly impress both series veterans and newcomers. I think this game could look and feel like a strong current-gen game.

Consider God of War III. SSM didn't package or promote this remaster well -- at ALL -- BUT, if you actually play it, it looks absolutely stunning, every bit as good as current-gen games of the same type. In fact, better! And it also feels so smooth at 60fps. I think KZ2 has the potential to achieve something close to that.

Worst-case, KZ2 fanboys like me should snap it up, which should pay for the cost of the remaster anyway. I know it's not cheap to do what I described, but it's not an all-new game either, not even close.

Sooooooo... how about it, GG?

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Yeah, I agree with everything you wrote. Just give me a KZ2 remaster Guerrilla.

Can't believe it's been 8 years since the game came out.

alt27

I would rather they focus on making a great horizon trilogy and Sony get another studio to make a brand new IP FPS

Strike

I saw the thread title and I got excited for a second. I'm still down.

60fps
1080p
lag input reduced by 100ms
DLC maps included
dedicated + private servers

Cambridge really deserved a shot at a console entry.

emrober5

I'd buy. Killzone 2 remaster day 1...but Guerilla has no reason to focus on anything but Horizon right now.

Give it to bluepoint, make sure the online is solid and call it a day.

I'd rather have the franchise handed over to another developer and just keep Guerilla working on more Horizon.
Killzone still has potential. Maybe a smaller or lesser known developer can breathe new life into it, whether a KZ2 remake or an original title.

I would rather they focus on making a great horizon trilogy and Sony get another studio to make a brand new IP FPS

I'm all for new IP, but new IP are commercially very, very risky. Making another FPS basically means Killzone is dead-dead, which from Sony's perspective is like giving up a core of people that would buy it due to the KZ name.

Of course, I can already predict the responses to this:

- The core KZ fan base is now so small as to not matter.
- Horizon was a new IP, and look how successful it is!

Valid points, of course, but to these I say:

- It has been battered by Shadow Fall, but it is still there, and a even a few hundred thousand people is better than zero.
- Past success is FAR from a guarantee of future results... especially when it comes to new IP. Horizon did it, but that was in a fairly wide-open genre and at a perfect time for it. Making a successful new FPS might just be the toughest thing to pull off in the entire industry.

I'd buy. Killzone 2 remaster day 1...but Guerilla has no reason to focus on anything but Horizon right now.

Give it to bluepoint, make sure the online is solid and call it a day.

Absolutely agreed to give it to Bluepoint. Those guys know their shit.

But I do believe that "call it a day" is not enough. I mean it's enough in that I would buy, and so would you, and so would other KZ2 fans. But I'm talking about something that would really be a nice hit to bring the franchise back into demand. For that -- even though it would still be Bluepoint -- it needs to add some stuff. I think some rebalances (like I mentioned) and online coop would be just the thing.

I mean, I am excited enough to replay the single-player campaign at 1080p/60fps. But, holy shit, to play through that with a friend? That's just... GIMME PLEASE.

xviper

Killzone is dead alongside Resistance

now that Horizon succeeded and many seem to love it, why would they go back to a series that no one gave a shit about ??

LewieP

Would be cool to get a "full adult height" mode in a remaster.

Also you could have worded your thread title more specifically in order to not suggest to people a remaster was actually happening.

jdstorm

Banned
Why not just outsource a full trillogy remaster?

Its good for Sony since it brings those games off the PS3 and onto a modern console (PS4/PS5???) While adding value to PS Now. It also has the potential to revitalize the Killzone brand a little and people love trillogies.

RSchmitz

I don't like first person shooters and/or competitive gaming in general, so to my tastes Sony's first party is in a sweet spot right now.
I barely remembered GG existed before Horizon and now I can't wait for the dlc and the sure to come sequels.
So yeah, I really don't care about Killzone, Resistence, Socom or whatever.

now that Horizon succeeded and many seem to love it, why would they go back to a series that no one gave a shit about ??

I probably shouldn't even reply to dismissive posts of this nature, but I'll indulge at least one.

- I recognize it's dead. The point of the thread is that successful FPS franchises don't grow on trees, and this used to be one, so it doesn't need to stay dead.
- "No one gave a shit about" is not only inaccurate literally but also dismissive of a healthy fan base. KZ2 was a quite successful game both critically and commercially. KZ3 was a solid follow-up. Some franchises are not blockbusters but they have their fans, and being a fan of this particular one, I am interested in its continuing potential.
- GG is not an organization that wants or needs to rely on exactly one franchise at all times.

I'm in the camp that thinks Killzone 2 is one of the worst big budget games ever made. The very high input lag, oversized deadzone, and long acceleraton/deceleration curve combo makes the game feel a second behind your button presses and just absolutely awful to play.

Dragun619

Really liked Killzone 2 back then but what always sticks with me with this franchise is how disappointing or boring the main playable characters we're especially in contrast to the Helghast.

Add a pretty weak & unsatisfying campaign on top of it, and yea, Wouldn't exactly be thrilled to jump back in unless we play as like a disgruntled Helghast dude tired of this shit. lol

I wish that GG would make your PoV from your head instead of from your gun in FPS.

You always felt like you were 4 feet tall in the Killzone games because of the weird super-low PoV.

Business

I'd buy a KZ2 remaster and I would like a reboot on te franchise. The problem is how badly they fucked up the story, since the very end of 2 and digging deeper all the way to Shadow Fall. It's so bad I don't even see a reboot working. Another problem is how good the transition to Horizon worked; I don't think they want to be associated to Killzone that much anymore.

Aaron

I just don't see the value in the series continuing, from either a gameplay or story perspective. Rico single-handedly ruins the experience of KZ2 so I can't see any value in a remaster aside from the multiplayer. The setting and designs were very cool, but GG never knew what to do with any of it. The original game plays as a prologue to a potentially more interesting story that's never paid off elsewhere in the series. Bringing it back would just be like Gears of War 4, or even worse, Judgement.

Honestly I'd rather see another Resistance.

Cess007

KZ2 was the most fun I've ever had with any online FPS ever. I played Warzone for days and couldn't get enough. That chirp when you kill someone it's still one of the most satisfying sounds in any FPS.

A KZ2 Remaster really needs to happen.

Venture

It would be much more work obviously but the original Killzone should be remastered. It's the best game in series, only held back by the PS2's technical limitations.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Leave Killzone in the past. Things like Infamous, KZ, UC have already gone past their prime, and Resistance shows sometimes trimming fat can be good

Dragun619

I mean, OP is just asking for a remaster, and Sony is always doing a bunch a remasters anyway so I guess, I wouldn't see why Sony wouldn't explore it.

But Yeah, At this point, Sony producing another AAA FPS seems like dead end at least for this gen.

tbm24

I'd like a new one in general. The latest one was my first PS4 game. Marathoned the whole thing through the first night. I enjoyed it quite a bit and it looked great.

Killzone and Resistance were Sony's efforts to carve out a stake in the Halo market. They had some success, although never enough to cement themselves as top tier franchises. FPS titles still sell, but CoD and Battlefield have firmly rooted themselves as the kings of the hill and the new hot shit on consoles (I use the term "new" very loosely here) is open world titles, "hero" games and anything-we-can-shove-loot-boxes-into. Of late, Sony's third person flagships have been doing a lot better critically and commercially. What you're most likely going to see is them trying to reinforce their success in that market while also taking more steps into the open world arena, since that most closely synergizes with what they are already doing. I don't know if Killzone and Resistance are permanently on ice, but it doesn't feel like a good bet for them going forward.

Killzone and Resistance were Sony's efforts to carve out a stake in the Halo market. They had some success, although never enough to cement themselves as top tier franchises. FPS titles still sell, but CoD and Battlefield have firmly rooted themselves as the kings of the hill and the new hot shit on consoles (I use the term "new" very loosely here) is open world titles, "hero" games and anything-we-can-shove-loot-boxes-into. Of late, Sony's third person flagships have been doing a lot better critically and commercially. What you're most likely going to see is them trying to reinforce their success in that market while also taking more steps into the open world arena, since that most closely synergizes with what they are already doing. I don't know if Killzone and Resistance are permanently on ice, but it doesn't feel like a good bet for them going forward.

All true, but these things go in cycles. One day suddenly people who've been ignoring the yearly CoD/BF bore-fests will be, like, "say... those big event FPS games were fun back in the day... whatever happened to <...>?". Something like that happened with that Doom reboot. People were, like, "man, those crazy demon-slaying games were sweet!"

P.S. I am being slightly unfair to BF and even CoD. From what I got time to play, BF1 was actually a rather powerful single-player game with some uniqueness to it. And CoD tries from time to time. Still, none of this feels to me like those EVENT!!! FPS games back in the day.

I mean, OP is just asking for a remaster, and Sony is always doing a bunch a remasters anyway so I guess, I wouldn't see why Sony wouldn't explore it.

But Yeah, At this point, Sony producing another AAA FPS seems like dead end at least for this gen.

Well, to me, it rather seems the opposite. There's a hole there. Install base is big. Console price is low and about to get lower. First-party FPS slate is 100% lacking. So fill it with something.

A non-lazy remaster/remake of critical hit from 2009 would not be a bad place to start... is my thesis.

I mean... online coop KZ2 with 60fps, no input lag, a good controller, and souped up visuals of an already rather striking and unique-looking game... it just feels appealing. I'm sure I'm projecting my own preferences, of course.

P.S. I actually tried spinning up KZ2 on PS3 the other day. It holds up, but that controller combined with that game difficulty... it's a definite barrier that makes the game age.

KZ SW had a brutal reception OP? Really? Brutal?

Yes.

Critically speaking: It went from elite status (90+ KZ2) to high-quality (84 KZ3) to just slightly above average as compared to ALL games (KZ SF 74), and just slightly better than than the widely panned original (KZ1 70). And that's for a launch game, when pickings are slim, and less than excellent games tend to still get some sympathy. That is brutal by the standard of the series. A 74 is way down in the dumps.

In terms of average user reaction: Those that bought the game, who tended to be Killzone fans, were fucking brutal in their reaction to the game. I mean there was a stream of invective about this game. The visuals got praise, but that's about it. Comments on story were universally negative. Comments on certain "special" levels were universally negative. Other than that, people were, like, "this is OK." That's brutal. Of course there was the usual anti-bad-review brigade in the review thread, but that's there for every anticipated game and can be safely ignored.

If your point is that "just slightly above average" (70=approximate average score for a game) is not brutal, then sure, I happily concede. But I'm pretty sure expectations for a Killzone game are higher than "let's be about average when including every piece of junk in the GameStop."

For a game at large, it was received "OK." For a Killzone game, a first-party game, a GG game, it was received "brutally," yes.

Why waste GG's time with remasters.

Give me a Horizon trilogy and then we can talk about them working on remas---

Actually. Never put GG on remasters, let them make new IP when they want to.

Edit: I care little for KZ, I played a bit of 2 and never made it past the intro levels and got KZ:SF on sale and didn't make it past the area after the opening. Their FPS titles don't feel that interesting to me, Horizon was an incredibly fragrant breath of fresh air.

I disagree that a 7 out of 10 reception can be labelled brutal. People are very dramatic these days.

Rather than people being particularly dramatic these days, I think that this is more of a case of you being rather pedantic. Come on, man. This title was not well received. A Killzone game going from elite shooter to being critical competition to Sniper Elite -- that ain't good.

In context.

I mean it was bad enough for the vast majority of gamers to write off the whole franchise as dead.

Top Bottom