• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I was naive and thought people wouldn't use Apple Vr headset.

mortal

Gold Member
Yea, it's cleary just to flex as it doesn't seem built for on-the-move usage.
Although seeing people in the wild with it on looks goofy but also kind of neat at the same time.

In 20-30 years on whatever slimer iteration I can see it being much more ubiquitous and less jarring.

bitbydeath

I thought it was going to look more like snorkel gear with those marketing images.

hqdefault.jpg

Not bad…

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Stopping in the middle of the crosswalk to point at stuff, driving your car with a bunch of stuff in your vision, not exercising at the gym. Seems like a pretty good cross section of the kind of people who would spend $4000 on a gen 1 apple product.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Hard for me to shit on these people since I was the asshole who bought Google Glass (twice) and wore that shit in public. Though at least that was much less conspicuous than the snorkel…

Meicyn

Gold Member
Most used functions of apple watches:

1. Talking into wrist to send half legible text
2. Locating iphone with FindMy beeping
3. Tracking daily step count
….
….
n+1. checking the time
Was a superintendent for a squadron while I was still in the military. Had constant meetings, enlisted and officers to brief, disciplinary actions to conduct, the list goes on. When you’re in a meeting, you do not pull out your phone. It’s rude as shit and incredibly unprofessional.

Meanwhile, looking at your watch is socially acceptable when you’re in a leadership position, because punctuality is critical. So when the First Sergeant is messaging me to let me know that one of my troops did some dumb shit, I can get a quick glance and prepare for my next course of action on dealing with them after the meeting I’m sitting in is over. I also can quickly glance at what my next item is on my daily calendar which is digital, instead of carrying around a physical planner. I was constantly on the move, I averaged six miles of walking per day. Glancing at a watch is way faster than digging out my phone, especially when you’re carrying folders with medal citations, performance reports, and other admin paperwork. The watch literally improved my productivity.

Then there’s the exercise aspect. When I would go on a 5K run, the last thing I want to take with me is my phone. When one of the houses on base caught on fire because a lithium ion battery exploded, my Commander was still able to reach me via the watch and I could immediately start a phone recall to the squadron to conduct accountability and determine if any of my personnel and their dependents are affected.

It’s easy to mock smartwatches, but there are plenty of real world applications for them.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Was a superintendent for a squadron while I was still in the military. Had constant meetings, enlisted and officers to brief, disciplinary actions to conduct, the list goes on. When you’re in a meeting, you do not pull out your phone. It’s rude as shit and incredibly unprofessional.

Meanwhile, looking at your watch is socially acceptable when you’re in a leadership position, because punctuality is critical. So when the First Sergeant is messaging me to let me know that one of my troops did some dumb shit, I can get a quick glance and prepare for my next course of action on dealing with them after the meeting I’m sitting in is over. I also can quickly glance at what my next item is on my daily calendar which is digital, instead of carrying around a physical planner. I was constantly on the move, I averaged six miles of walking per day. Glancing at a watch is way faster than digging out my phone, especially when you’re carrying folders with medal citations, performance reports, and other admin paperwork. The watch literally improved my productivity.

Then there’s the exercise aspect. When I would go on a 5K run, the last thing I want to take with me is my phone. When one of the houses on base caught on fire because a lithium ion battery exploded, my Commander was still able to reach me via the watch and I could immediately start a phone recall to the squadron to conduct accountability and determine if any of my personnel and their dependents are affected.

It’s easy to mock smartwatches, but there are plenty of real world applications for them.
Yeah I work in a lab and to take off your gloves and labcoat and leave the lab just to find out the call you got was just spam is a pain. Watch is really useful. Of course I still have a first gen samsung watch because it gets a full 5 days on a single charge and does everything I need.

Rockondevil

I remember laughing at iPhones when they first released. Then I got one and it was amazing going from my Nokia.

Thinking the Apple Watch was something I wouldn't use because I didn't really wear watches. Now I wear one daily and haven't taken it off (outside of a couple hours charging a day) in 4 years.
It makes managing my calendar, taking calls and listening to music on the run more effective than it was without it.

This is something I can absolutely see the use case for eventually once it gets smaller and batteries in it get better.

I remember I used to be nervous about using my 3DS and Vita on the NYC subway lol and that video has some dude casually typing on an AR keyboard :messenger_grinning_smiling:

gatti-man

Its like Apple watches.

There must be at least 20 people in my office that wears one. Never seem them use it once for anything.
Apple Watches have tons of uses for professionals. 1 if your state doesn’t allow texting/looking at your phone while driving and 2 it’s a god send for not lifting up my phone when I’m working or in a kitchen (I run restaurants). It’s also great in busy or loud environments.

CGNoire

Yes they look silly, but people actually use it on the go. I didn't think it would sell either, but I was wrong there too. After 1-2 more generations, then without the cable and with a better price, it could perhaps really become suitable for the masses.

Nice Try.

most people get apple stuff just to show off. Just go inside a starbucks and it's a bunch of people showing off their macbook.

Ribi

It's a mobile computer that makes people look like douche bags but it's also a piece of tech that gets us closer to the future we want where we have low profile mobile computers that aren't phones. Of course people are gnna use it, it's like a Tesla.

thuGG_pl

I appreciate the fact that it's actually usable in such a way. Apple really did a great job with it, and made a big step in VR world.
At the same time I hate all of those people :p

Thaedolus

Just wait until you can deep fake someone else’s face onto your partner during sexy time, thing will sell like hotcakes!

Lunarorbit

That's some loser ass shit going into public with these on. Give me a break. Wonder how many fights will happen because of selfish people wearing these causing accidents

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
If someone walked past me in public wearing that I'd probably mutter "you fucking dork" as I passed, it looks stupid AF

Trilobit

Yes they look silly, but people actually use it on the go. I didn't think it would sell either, but I was wrong there too. After 1-2 more generations, then without the cable and with a better price, it could perhaps really become suitable for the masses.

4rtt8y.jpg

Top Bottom