• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I wish we had a Dark Souls movie...

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Why are people acting like movies have to tell a straighforward story from beginning to end? Go watch Mulholland Drive

mortal

These games have deep lore yes, but they're not exactly narrative driven.
The moment-to-moment gameplay is the most appealing part, everything else is just icing.

Unless it's some sort of art house film, and even then, a feature length film would likely be a far cry to what made the Dark Souls experience so appealing imo.

No. I would much rather FromSoftware stopped being overly frugal (read: stingy) with their games and include some nice occasional cinematics. After Sekiro sold 5 million and Dark Souls 3 sold over 10 million copies, they had the audacity to make ER have a slideshow for an opening and then still continued their trademark 3-second-long endings.

Also, to everyone that defends the lazy endings in their games, and especially to everyone that defended Elden Ring’s SLIDESHOW opening: I hate you.

Also, to people who defend FS’ quest design: I hate you. Your only options are to make the game your entire life or to use Google every 2 minutes.

The inclusion of some “spoonfed” lore and some nice cutscenes will not even remotely ruin the sense of mystery the games have. But I feel like the fans who defend everything FS does are people who like the obnoxiously esoteric design and story because it makes them feel like they have big dongs.

Yes, I’m angry. Because the diehard fans of these games are already annoying and to top it all off the devs can do no wrong.

Elden Ring 2 could have no opening cutscene at all and the fans will be like “WOW. BRILLIANT DECISION TO NOT HAVE AN OPENING. THAT MAKES THE LORE EVEN MORE MYSTERIOUS AND THE WORLD MORE FOREBODING.”

Last edited:

levyjl1988

Banned
If a Dark Souls movie does happen as we are seeing many video game to TV movie adaptations. I want Guillermo del Toro to direct it.

rofif

Banned
You're right, the movie would need to be an A24 film to succeed.

This movie came relatively close to nailing the atmosphere and oddities of what a Dark Souls movie could look like:

IMG_7028.JPG

giphy.gif

the-green-knight-green-knight.gif

beheaded-green-knight.gif

the-green-knight-green-knight.gif

8cb54783f59e6ca02a32d8a914722bd32671cbbe.gifv

4f2c2ccefaf3f75958dbdd8b7d5771a6b8688979.gif

The overall story itself was just okay though.
I've seen this movie.
You posted a bunch of very misleading gifs lol.
This was a great movie but there is 0 action in it. Most of the movie nothing is happening :p

SJRB

Gold Member

Imagine this but 120 minutes. Fuck it, make it 30 for all I care.

[Imagine watching this trailer 40 times, get maximum hyped and then play the actual Dark Souls 2, lulz]

Last edited:
I've seen this movie.
You posted a bunch of very misleading gifs lol.
This was a great movie but there is 0 action in it. Most of the movie nothing is happening :p
I did not mislead at all. That's exactly why I only pointed out the art direction and why the movie visually feels like a souls game.

Top Bottom