• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I witnessed some utterly disgusting behavior at Subway today... just ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Some back story: I get a breakfast sub on my way to work pretty much every day (too lazy to get up early enough to fix something. Don't judge me) so it was business as usual at this particular Subway. Most of the people here know me so well they know what I'm gonna get before I even open my mouth. Some even call me by my first name, even though I've never formally given it (this is actually kind of creepy honestly but I let it slide because they're always good to me. They even hook me up with extra meat on my subs quite often, no extra charge).

So here's where shit got nuts: One of the employees who was fixing my sub made a remark about his co-worker "acting like a man", and said something to the effect of "why would a woman want to wear boy shoes?". Immediately, this set off alarm bells in my head. I tried to ignore it and thought maybe this was just friendly banter between co-workers? Well that shit was put to rest when the woman snapped back and was basically saying he was bitch-made and that's why he can't get a girl and she get's them all. The guy was clearly agitated by this and raised his voice a few notches and proceeded to call her a faggot. Straight up. Not once. Not twice. Not three times (Ya know what, I actually lost count after 3...).

This is all going on while he's making my sandwich by the way. Not paying attention to what I'm telling him to put on my sub, but instead continuing to yell at this woman. Calling her a faggot and a bitch and I'm smack dab in the middle. What is usually a 5 minute trip in and out of this place almost every day took about 9 with NO ONE else being served but me. But ya know what? That was the least troubling thing going on here honestly. The language being thrown around here was insane. Calling someone a faggot, who is also your co-worker, who also happens to be gay, and also in front of a customer? I mean Really? Really?! REALLY?!?!

I wanted to say something, but I didn't say shit. I just wanted to leave as fast as possible, and the guy who was yelling faggot, which was echoing throughout the subway, wasn't exactly focusing on his job. I even forgot to put two ingredients on my sub that I get all the damn time because I was rushing to get the fuck out of there. I eventually get to the cashier to buy my shit and the look on her face said it all; she was extremely embarrassed by all of this. She also said not a word to either of them. Just stayed the hell out of it. I can only imagine how she feels. I have to deal with this shit for 8 minutes and she probably has to deal with it all damn day.

The manager came back from his break around this time and remarked that he could hear the commotion all the way in the back OUTSIDE. God damn. The both of them immediately cut the shit after that. I walked out and just got in my car and drove to work. I was not happy to say the least. I have never been so outraged during my time in a restaurant in my life. I really wish I wasn't time constrained because I would have definitely had a talk with the manager directly. I have never made a direct complaint to a manager in my life, but this shit was so fucking ridiculous, man... It was all I could think about all day today.

I think I'm going to mention it to him tomorrow. Actually, I know I am. I don't want to get people fired from their jobs because I know it's a struggle out there right now.... but this was just... come on. You can't get away with yelling faggot in a restaurant at a gay co-worker. Jesus. It's time for you to go.

I really, really, really hate that I was strapped for time while this was happening. I wanted to either say something or just walk out. But with this being my only opportunity to get food in my stomach before work and also my lunch (we only get a 30 lunch and it's impractical to drive somewhere, get something to eat, and get back to the building on time. The cafeteria also doesn't accept debit cards, my only form of currency on me. This trip to Subway was pivotal to my day to say the least.) I just couldn't do it.

If I just had an extra few minutes to kill I could have said something to someone on the spot. In hindsight, I could have at the very least asked for someone else to make my sub instead of trying to rush out.

Man, I really hated that I witnessed this garbage, and I hated myself for not doing anything to help the situation. fuck

UPDATE:

Went to the Subway before work again, hoping to not see the dude there, but he still was. *sigh* Seemed like everything was pretty normal around there too.

Well, I did what I said I was going to do, I asked to see the manager and I spoke with him about the matter. Apparently he didn't hear exactly what was being said that day, just the loud noise, and no one told him anything else about it. He looked quite perturbed as I was talking to him about it and he seemed genuinely concerned. I heard him call the dudes name as I was walking out so I know he talked with him. Whether this leads to him being fired or not I don't know...

What I do know is that when I go there tomorrow and if he's still working there I'm done with this place for good. Fuck 'em. I'll go to the Blimpie's up the street. It's about 3 minutes out of my way in comparison, but I can manage that well enough with no problems.

I didn't feel "proud" when I took the manager a side today but I dd feel like the onus of this whole situation was a lot lighter on my conscience. I just pray to Helix something like this never happens again in my life. (this isn't over officially until tomorrow though)

UPDATE 2:

Went back yesterday and the guy was still working. Surprise.

I didn't see the lesbian girl there today though.... I really hope nothing happened to her because that would really piss me the fuck off. If they both would have gotten let go I'm cool with that. They were both being unprofessional as fuck that day, so I understand getting rid of them both for good measure. But if it's just her? That's fucked. I can't confirm any of this by the way, just found it odd that she wasn't there, yet he was... hopefully I'm just jumping to conclusions.

With that said; I'm officially done with that Subway for good. Hopefully at some point in that guys life he accidentally trips over a rock and falls face first into some naked guys crotch and chokes on a mouthful of dick.

Blimpie's will be my new stop from here on out.

Kwixotik

Yeah, dude sounds like an asshole. I had a couple of friends who were white go to cheddars the other day. They tried to order chicken and waffles and the waitress was like "you cant order that, you aren't the kind of people that order that." She said there's only one kind of person that orders chicken and waffles, and they eat it with kool aid and collard greens. Dunno how employees get away with saying that shit.

braves01

Banned
You could probably get some free subs out of that experience. And some justice for the woman who was getting slurs thrown at her. I'd talk to that manager next time.

I think I would probably tell the manager. That kind of behavior shouldn't be tolerated, and the manager should be informed of what's going on. Just don't tell the manager in front of the crazy homophobic guy.

CronoShot

So what kind of breakfast sandwich

I'm partial to the bacon and egg on flatbread myself. Plus they have that deal in the morning where you get a 6 inch sub and a drink for like 3 bucks. So good.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
If it affected you so badly you should have walked out.
I covered this in the OP. I was stuck between a rock and a hard place. I wanted to walk out, but it was not a practical thing to do at the time. This wasn't some casual Subway visit, this was my breakfast and my lunch for the next 9+ hours on this particular day. It was a perfect shitstorm for me.

Mannnnn I used to work at a Subway doing mostly night shifts. The shit we got up to would blow your mind... classic stuff.

It was all fun and games though. This guy just sounds like a homophobic prick.

JDSN

Banned
I do hope you talk to the manager about this, make a clear statement about being a regular and not wanting that kind of behavior again, you kind of lose the right to be offended at this crap if you arent willing to try to fixs things in any way.

daviyoung

Banned
I covered this in the OP. I was stuck between a rock and a hard place. I wanted to walk out, but it was not a practical thing to do at the time. This wasn't some casual Subway visit, this was my breakfast and my lunch for the next 9+ hours on this particular day. It was a perfect shitstorm for me.

No other fast food options? No ATMs?

shira

You want the "sandwich artists" talking as little as possible because they are basically spitting all over your food when they do.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
So what kind of breakfast sandwich

I'm partial to the bacon and egg on flatbread myself. Plus they have that deal in the morning where you get a 6 inch sub and a drink for like 3 bucks. So good.
Flatbread. Yellow egg. Bacon. Pepperoni. Olives. Jalapeno. 2 onions. 2 green peppers. Tomato. Oil and vinegar, salt and pepper.

I do hope you talk to the manager about this, make a clear statement about being a regular and not wanting that kind of behavior again, you kind lose the right to be offended at this crap if you arent willing to try to fixs things in any way.
Agreed with that last part. This is why I'm definitely going to say something tomorrow.

Definitely talk to the manager and express your feelings about it. That's unacceptable behavior on a number of levels.

And if there's no evidence of the manager doing anything about it, get the contact info for the district manager and talk to him or her.

What the fuck, you just let that shit happen and you didn't do anything?

What's the worst that would happen if you told him to fuck off, really? That poor girl thinks that nobody gives a shit about her because this fucking prick can just treat her like she's less than human like its no big deal.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member

You weren't stuck between a rock and a hard place. Give me a break.

Guy sounds like an asshole. If it upset you that much, talk to the manager next chance you get and hopefully he'll get what he deserves.

Thread title made me expect to read about some dude eating his own shit off the floor or wiping his ass with your sandwich or something utterly disgusting.

It's actually making me a little sad that your breakfast is your primary concern here.

You weren't stuck between a rock and a hard place. Give me a break.
The sandwich artist's attitude had already cost him an additional 4 minutes of waiting for his food. OP's a busy man.

You should fix something up the night before that you can bring with you, OP. Subway is terribly overpriced.

Trouble

Banned
So I'm assuming you didn't eat that sandwich... born of hate it was...

69YLPCc.jpg

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
What the fuck, you just let that shit happen and you didn't do anything?

What's the worst that would happen if you told him to fuck off, really? That poor girl thinks that nobody gives a shit.
In hindsight there's a dozen different things I could have done. But with me on my way to work, having no other practical options for getting food, and being completely astounded by what I was witnessing, I just wanted to get my shit and leave.

By the way, this "poor girl" was holding her own. The guy was more upset than she was. It was pretty obvious that this type of shit wasn't new to her. She didn't need my help, but I wish I would have offered it to her anyway.

Not a shining moment in my life. You really don't need to remind me. I'm setting shit straight tomorrow though.

There's no way I could have held my tongue in that situation. I would have gone in on him and then waited for the manager and made certain they the guy got punished. And I wouldn't have paid for my sandwich. I would have taken it for free because I had to deal with emotional distress.
no emotional distress, just want a free sandwich

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
In hindsight there's a dozen different things I could have done. But with me on my way to work, having no other practical options for getting food, and being completely astounded by what I was witnessing, I just wanted to get my shit and leave.

By the way, this "poor girl" was holding her own. The guy was more upset than she was. It was pretty obvious that this type of shit wasn't new to her. She didn't need my help, but I wish I would have offered it to her anyway.

Not a shining moment in my life. You really don't need to remind me. I'm setting shit straight tomorrow though.

So you're going to angrily hand your money over then?

I would have turned on the voice recorder on my phone to present

Edit: I must have fallen asleep when I was making this post...

The end of that sentence was "to the manager" for the record.

geomon

People need to learn to speak up when this stuff happens in front of them, otherwise it's just going to keep happening. And no I'm not knocking the OP for staying silent, it's the reaction I expect, which is why we need to change how we react.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
It's actually making me a little sad that your breakfast is your primary concern here.
Listen, I'm appalled at the use of that type of language and behavior no matter the situation. But understand what you're expecting of me; you're asking me to have no breakfast, have no lunch, and do physical labor for 9 hours. I'm a human being too. I can't physically endure that.

If it makes you feel better the subs tasted like crap because of how bad I felt and I'm talking to the manager tomorrow.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I think we've got the situation about covered in previous responses.

What I don't fucking get is how you don't think to get some fixking cash back at subway with your debit card. You know you can do that right? Also, take a few minutes out of your day and get some clif bars or something so you don't starve for 9 hours a day.

jerry1594

Kinda loling that you can't come up with any paper money whatsoever to eat at work, but yeah, definitely do something now.

It's a good thing that you realised what you should have done and that you still have time to do the right thing. Remember, some people on here who condemn your actions would have done exactly the same as you.

I understand where you are coming from OP, you sound like a creature of habit.

At least you are going back to tell the manager, most people wouldn't even do that.

I don't want to get people fired from their jobs because I know it's a struggle out there right now.... but this was just... come on.

Fuck the guy man, make a formal complaint. Retail workers should not act like this in front of customers under any circumstances.

I know you're being down on yourself for not saying anything, but those time excuses are pretty lame. It would've taken 30 seconds to complain quickly to the manager. You don't need to sit down at a meeting with them and spend an hour discussing it, just a quick comment at how appalled/disgusted you were would've done some good (hopefully).

But like someone else said, I wasn't there and if someone put me in your shoes, I may have done the same thing. The important thing is your intent to go in tomorrow to formally complain. Do the right thing :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom