• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I witnessed some utterly disgusting behavior at Subway today... just ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vikki

Yeah, dude sounds like an asshole. I had a couple of friends who were white go to cheddars the other day. They tried to order chicken and waffles and the waitress was like "you cant order that, you aren't the kind of people that order that." She said there's only one kind of person that orders chicken and waffles, and they eat it with kool aid and collard greens. Dunno how employees get away with saying that shit.

You speak to the manager so the employee knows they can't act like that. If the manager doesn't do anything then you go over the managers head. No business owner wants to be labeled a racist establishment and it's not that difficult to get local media involved in cases like this.

I've worked with a number of people who thought it was okay to treat customers, or others, poorly while working. We pretty much throw them out the front door. That sort of behavior is not tolerated by a good manager and anyone acting that way would be sent home immediately by me.

Blader

Damn, OP really cares about his subway.

I probably would have said something myself, though I don't know if I've ever been in a scenario as egregious as that one. At the very least go back and make a complaint with the manager.

Yeah, dude sounds like an asshole. I had a couple of friends who were white go to cheddars the other day. They tried to order chicken and waffles and the waitress was like "you cant order that, you aren't the kind of people that order that." She said there's only one kind of person that orders chicken and waffles, and they eat it with kool aid and collard greens. Dunno how employees get away with saying that shit.

Umm what the fuck? I would have been speaking to a manager same as the situation in the OP.

Well, it sounds like they hate each other and if they can't even stop fighting on front of a customer, then chances are they won't last long anyways. Or one of them will quit or get a different shift.

it's pretty unprofessional, but I don't think you did anything wrong. You're the one who was put in an awkward position.

I don't blame you for not wanting to interject yourself into some stangers' argument. Besides, for all you know, maybe the lesbian girl made a pass on the dude's girlfriend or something. Who knows. Not saying that his behavior was okay, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over an argument.

I would have just got my food and let them sort it out. They're grown people. The manager heard, and I'm sure they'll be reprimanded. So cheer up OP.

Ovid

Sounds like an episode from

cwjv3Az.jpg

OP, manager sounds like he doesn't give fuck. Call corporate.

Dead Man

"I wanted to say something, but I didn't say shit."

Take the L and if you see it again then speak up. Otherwise you really don't have the right to randomly harass someone at their job about some dumb shit they said a few days ago.

If you really want to do something call the manager to make formal complaint about the situation.

It's not random, it is just delayed. Randomly harass, lol.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
UPDATE:

Went to the Subway before work again, hoping to not see the dude there, but he still was. *sigh* Seemed like everything was pretty normal around there too.

Well, I did what I said I was going to do, I asked to see the manager and I spoke with him about the matter. Apparently he didn't hear exactly what was being said that day, just the loud noise, and no one told him anything else about it. He looked quite perturbed as I was talking to him about it and he seemed genuinely concerned. I heard him call the dudes name as I was walking out so I know he talked with him. Whether this leads to him being fired or not I don't know...

What I do know is that when I go there tomorrow and if he's still working there I'm done with this place for good. Fuck 'em. I'll go to the Blimpie's up the street. It's about 3 minutes out of my way in comparison, but I can manage that well enough with no problems.

I didn't feel "proud" when I took the manager a side today but I dd feel like the onus of this whole situation was a lot lighter on my conscience. I just pray to Helix something like this never happens again in my life. (this isn't over officially until tomorrow though)

Sounds great. Now I hope all the high-horse posters giving you shit for leaving yesterday shut the hell up now. Good on you, and I hope the proper punishment is taken.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
I once thought the ham sub was $5 no tax but it was $5.50. Told the cashier I only has $5 and that the menu was confusing. Then I asked her for a cold cut trio instead since that was $5. I had more money but didn't want to break a twenty. She made a face and sold me the sub for $5.

Darren870

if dude is still there tomorrow I'm gonna make a Blimpies thread. I'm gonna need all the do's and don't's. I've only been there twice.

You expect the guy to get fired? Written up and warning I can see..
Fired though, probably wont happen if its his first offense.

Slurmer

Banned
People have been fired from fast food places for much less. It's not like those employees aren't easily replaceable.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
if dude is still there tomorrow I'm gonna make a Blimpies thread.

There's the chance that they might let him go at the end of the day tomorrow or something though.

Was the woman he was arguing with there when you went in today?

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Sounds great. Now I hope all the high-horse posters giving you shit for leaving yesterday shut the hell up now. Good on you, and I hope the proper punishment is taken.
I expected this the moment I hit submit thread. If there's one thing the net is good at it's people wagging their finger at you and acting macho behind a computer screen with full anonymity. It is what it is.

If you only get written up and a warning for yelling faggot at a co-worker while a costumer is standing right in front of you and you're fucking up their order than I want nothing to do with this place ever again.

There is no conceivable scenario where I would be doing the same at my place of work and wouldn't be let go on the spot. He needs to kick rocks. Period.

Slurmer

Banned
Racial slurs and foul language are not minor things. Those words would get you shit canned from any job.
I know. The guy I was replying to was the one implying that Subway sandwich maker is a title that comes with some kind of amazing job security.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
There's the chance that they might let him go at the end of the day tomorrow or something though.

Was the woman he was arguing with there when you went in today?
Yeah she was there. As I said in the update it was as if everything was back to normal in there. I still couldn't let it go. I would have held a grudge against myself for a really long time if I did.

I'll ask the one girl (cashier woman that particular day) who usually fixes my subs if he's still working there if I don't see him. I never got the impression she liked him very much at all.

Mad props to you OP. Not many would have done what you did.
I'm still having a difficult time patting myself on the back about this. I was mad nervous before I walked in, praying he wasn't there, and that all this resolved it's self. It all felt more like an obligation than a good deed when I walked out.

Confrontation is just not my element, man...

MIMIC

Banned
Wow....what an extremely unpleasant experience (for the customers AND the girl being insulted).

How does a person like that manage to keep their job? I'm sure that's not his first incident like that.

Atlantis

I could maybe see him getting off with just a write-up if this didn't happen in front of a customer. With a customer complaint though? He's gone.

The Subway in question probably has 10+ applications sitting on their computer right now.

Darren870

I could maybe see him getting off with just a write-up if this didn't happen in front of a customer. With a customer complaint though? He's gone.

The Subway in question probably has 10+ applications sitting on their computer right now.

Fair enough, and I hope he does.

The reality of it sometimes is that a lot of these stores tend to operate understaffed and can't always afford to lose a 20-30 hr a week employee right on the spot.

Fair enough, and I hope he does.

The reality of it sometimes is that a lot of these stores tend to operate understaffed and can't always afford to lose a 20-30 hr a week employee right on the spot.

Odds are they'll start looking for a replacement and not fire the guy until they have found one. I wouldn't expect an instant disappearance.

Madness

Pretty crazy story. I've witnessed customers go off on employees like that, be racist, all kinds of assholes, but never coworkers. Sad part is, I would have just taken my sub and left, and not gone back to that place for a while. I don't think I would have said or done anything.

Camwi

Yeah she was there. As I said in the update it was as if everything was back to normal in there. I still couldn't let it go. I would have held a grudge against myself for a really long time if I did.

I'll ask the one girl (cashier woman that particular day) who usually fixes my subs if he's still working there if I don't see him. I never got the impression she liked him very much at all.

I'm still having a difficult time patting myself on the back about this. I was mad nervous before I walked in, praying he wasn't there, and that all this resolved it's self. It all felt more like an obligation than a good deed when I walked out.

Confrontation is just not my element, man...

I hate confrontations too, but know that you did the right thing.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
UPDATE:

Went back yesterday and the guy was still working. Surprise.

I didn't see the lesbian girl there today though.... I really hope nothing happened to her because that would really piss me the fuck off. If they both would have gotten let go I'm cool with that. They were both being unprofessional as fuck that day, so I understand getting rid of them both for good measure. But if it's just her? That's fucked. I can't confirm any of this by the way, just found it odd that she wasn't there, yet he was... hopefully I'm just jumping to conclusions.

With that said; I'm officially done with that Subway for good. Hopefully at some point in that guys life he accidentally trips over a rock and falls face first into some naked guys crotch and chokes on a mouthful of dick.

Blimpie's will be my new stop from here on out.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
I find it hilarious that you ignore the calls for you to go to a grocery store.

I'm with you; fast food for life on work days.

ronito

UPDATE:

I didn't see the lesbian girl there today though.... I really hope nothing happened to her because that would really piss me the fuck off. If they both would have gotten let go I'm cool with that. They were both being unprofessional as fuck that day, so I understand getting rid of them both for good measure. But if it's just her? That's fucked. I can't confirm any of this by the way, just found it odd that she wasn't there, yet he was... hopefully I'm just jumping to conclusions.

With that said; I'm officially done with that Subway for good. Hopefully at some point in that guys life he accidentally trips over a rock and falls face first into some naked guys crotch and chokes on a mouthful of dick.

Sigh, you should've gone to corporate. I garauntee you that guy would not be there, that and you would've gotten at least a few free subs out of it too.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Sigh, you should've gone to corporate. I garauntee you that guy would not be there, that and you would've gotten at least a few free subs out of it too.
I thought about it. But I'm scared of the potential collateral damage. What if they decide to clean house because of this one prick? I've seen things like that go down in places where employees are easily replaceable. The thought of me costing anyone their job but that particular dude is too much weight for my conscience to carry. People have families to feed.

SeanR1221

I thought about it. But I'm scared of the potential collateral damage. What if they decide to clean house because of this one prick? I've seen things like that go down in places where employees are easily replaceable. The thought of me costing anyone their job but that particular dude is too much weight for my conscience to carry. People have families to feed.

What? No. They'd just fire the one asshole.

Kammie

Is this bannable? Because I'm offended.

UPDATE:

You support the LGBT community and you say you hope someone chokes on dick? Man, that's so messed up.

shuri

Banned
What a disgusting comment by Forceatowulf. The rape undertones are shocking. I can't even bring myself to quote them. You should be ashamed. You are no better than the people in your first post.

Wow, just wow...

Day ruined.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
What? No. They'd just fire the one asshole.
Can't tell you how many stories I've heard of someone coming down to fire a person and ending up taking down multiple people with them. That shit really does happen in places where people are easily expendable. A lot of higher ups really give no fucks about your kids/bills if they think they can sweep a potential issue under the rug by letting a hand full of people go.

I think the point was a homophobic guy gets his worst nightmare served to him.
Pretty much. Oh well.

What a disgusting comment by Forceatowulf. The rape undertones are shocking. I can't even bring myself to quote them. You should be ashamed. You are no better than the people in your first post.

Wow, just wow...

Day ruined.
Are you being sarcastic or for real? Because if you're for real than I'd like to apologize for that comment if it really did affect you that much. I sincerely apologize for that. It may have been a bit over the top.

Sorry about that guys.

I get that point, but it's a bit uncalled for. :(
I apologize for that, dude. Sincerely.

RPGCrazied

I would have just left. Why stay through that? Go to a different subway, or just find something else to eat in the morning. I wouldn't care how good a meal is, if the service is shit, or something like that was going on, I leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom