• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IBT Times Fallout 4 Review Breaks Embargo *No spoilers in OP*

Cartman86

Banned
Fallout 4 is the perfect example of a long in the tooth game that if I was 12 years old again I would be shitting myself by the "cool" things they are showing. But the amount of games I have played and the PR cycles I have seen have just made me incredibly cynical. I know what this game is going to be. I know nothing will be as amazing as you think it will be. There is a catch. It will be fine, but it just doesn't occupy nearly the same level of hype in my mind that games like Half-Life 2, Metal Gear Solid 4 etc. have had. Thinking of it in those terms will only let me down.

So Fallout fans will like it basically? Works for me. Since I absolutely love Fallout 3 and NV. As soon as I saw the E3 footage I got excited, even when they were only simply showing the world a little.

To be honest I am kinda expecting mixed reviews, simply because I expect the game won't do incredibly many new things we haven't seen before in other games. We'll see, but I definitely don't think it will all be glowing reviews.

I don't understand why people are throwing the reviewer under the bus for liking Dragon Age Inquisition more. It's all opinions.

Review thread will be popcorn worthy, likely.
So Fallout fans will like it basically? Works for me.

To be honest I am kinda expecting mixed reviews, simply because I expect the game won't do incredibly many new things we haven't seen before in other games. We'll see, but I definitely don't think it will all be glowing reviews.

I think it's going to end up getting panned for bugs, but mostly hover positively. 78 to 82 metacritic.

Kriken

I don't understand why people are throwing the reviewer under the bus for liking Dragon Age Inquisition more. It's all opinions.

Review mentality, if a game that you want to do well doesn't do well in reviews, you find ways to discredit the reviewer (i.e. "Well reviewer X liked game "Y" more than this game and I hated game "Y"). You rarely see positive reviews get nitpicked for the same sort of stuff

PK Gaming

Really looking for those shallow 9s/10s reviews

"Bethesda has crafted quite possibly the greatest WRPG to date."

Not to trying to stir anything, but those are my favorite parts of review threads. Those claims are always hilarious.

Jb

A bit weird to focus so much on the main story for a Bethesda game. I'm not their biggest fan and yet even I know that part of their games is never good.

Hasney

Yeah, I mean I love Dragon Age Inquisition too and I can see his point if I compare it to Fallout 3, but that's what I want, I want a big empty space with me and my PipBoy since I'm exploring a post apocalyptic wasteland.

And we all know by now that saying Review Thread in a title is like waving a red sheet to a bull, but in this case, the bull is a swarm of idiots. They're opinions people, not gospels.

gurudyne

For me, Fallout series is about the narrative consequences of player choices set against a backdrop of a memorable world with interesting characters whose stories interconnect across many different locations. All of that requires good, consistent writing throughout. Fallout 3 was disappointing in this regard, so I didn't have high hopes for this game. From this review, sounds like 4 is meeting those expectations. Sad.

FO1, 2 and NV are all packed with contextual storytelling, and they all do it better than Bethesda. You said that the poor dialogue and motivations aren't the whole story because Bethesda is all about contextual storytelling. And I'm telling you that their one Fallout game so far was actually the worst in the series at this.

In the other games, you have questions about how society functions answered. You see gardens behind most homes. Communities dedicated to farming. FO3 ditches this type of visual shoethand wholesale, and focuses on "cool ideas". Like having walled off sheet metal city built around a nuclear bomb just because. People don't really have jobs, outside of a couple shopkeepers. You don't really learn how anybody lives or what they so with any visual shorthand, as in previous games.

Bethesda does big world and broad strokes well. I don't think their visual storytelling is anything outstanding. As most things with BGS go, it's decent. It focuses on cool stuff, bluntly communicated.

I can understand the Megaton example, but I think Megaton is still believable because you do have trade caravans that park out front, there is a water processing plant, and a restaurant/ bar/ inn with a combination of old world goods and hunted irradiated critters.

The second area you get to is that town on the overpass with the small Brahmin farm that was overrun by the Family.

Paradise Falls was once a large shopping center so it would stand to reason that it would have plenty of goods in storage, and they also include a small bar on the outside as well as a barracks with a mess hall in one of remaining indoor structures.

I think Fallout 3 does a remarkable job with these details without beating you over the head with them.

I've also been playing through it the last few days so these details are fresh in my mind.

I think it's going to end up getting panned for bugs, but mostly hover positively. 78 to 82 metacritic.

I liked DAI for several hours, loved the exploration in the big locations, simply so much better than DA2, but eventually I just got so bored of it and the combat became such a chore really.

As for Fallout 4,i am not expecting any real huge surprises. I expect what we saw at E3,those new features. New side quests and main quest of course and a new world. I think I will be fine with those expectations.

A bit weird to focus so much on the main story for a Bethesda game. I'm not their biggest fan and yet even I know that part of their games is never good.
I am a huge Bethesda fan and their mainquests are the last thing I ever do on a playthrough. They're always the most boring part of the game.

Wagram

I am a huge Bethesda fan and their mainquests are the last thing I ever do on a playthrough. They're always the most boring part of the game.

They should be docked for it though. The Witcher 3 for instance takes a big giant dump all over something like Skyrim's main story. It shouldn't be "the most boring part of the game."

Cleve

Whew, sorry I'm late guys. What did I miss? Oh we're pretending fallout 3 had a compelling story? Okay.

Seriously guys, if someone goes in to a bethesda game expecting a compelling story filled with memorable characters, they're going to come out disappointed.

My brother. Inquisition was my biggest gaming letdown ever.

I still have nightmares with that game :(

With that being said, Wichter 3 blew me by surprise and I was not expecting that game to be one of my favorite games all of time. What an incredible open world game, which I was slowly trying to get away from open world games due to fatigue, but that game brought me back in with it's fantastic design. I really hope Fallout 4 is similar to it in terms of game design and making a "proper" open world game. I'll try to keep my expectations in check.

Fury451

Banned
Reviewer liked Dragon Age: Inquisition?

That legitimately makes me take his opinion with a massive grain of salt. That game was stuffed with so much boring filler, despite it's positives.

GreatNumber

Unconfirmed Member
Kinda off topic here but there is something that confused me for a while. People said Skyrim was broken on the PS3 but, when I played it for the first time it ran smooth with no problems. I put in like 200 hours into that game. Keep in mind that I played it on Christmas day back in 2011. Was it broken at release or something?

I personally never played it on Ps3, but friends of mine who played it from release to a year ago said that whenever a dragon would show up the frame rate would hit the high teens at most. Also apparently if you have large save files your game could crash or stutter during loading or when you go into certain areas.

Which bringing it back to fallout I had similar issues in New Vegas and 3 on both 360 and PC involving large amounts of save files to cause my game to stutter, have longer load times, and crash completely.

I really hope Fallout 4 doesn't have those saving issues. Mainly because I stopped playing New Vegas 3 times now, due to my game not allowing me to go into areas I once was able to freely walk in and out of. Also factoring in an average 30 seconds to almost a minute for load times to certain areas. I again just hope that Bethesda has fixed this issue.

Jb

They should be docked for it though. The Witcher 3 for instance takes a big giant dump all over something like Skyrim's main story. It shouldn't be "the most boring part of the game."

I'm with you, but I feel the reviewer should also have an understanding that the core strength of that studio is creating vast worlds that are fun and somewhat interesting to explore, and talk a little more about if that's still the case or not with Fallout 4.

I absolutely agree with you. It's a sad state of affairs.

I still have nightmares with that game :(
Put it down after 20 hours, wished I had put it down after 5...or not even bought it at all. The trajectory from Origins to II to Inquisition is so depressing. Unlikely that I'll buy another BioWare game if all their future stuff is going off the Inquisition template.

I did not read the review, I am not gonna read any review. But it sounds like F4 is more of the same, with as we all know by now much improved gunplay and better graphics and animations and a weather system. But if that's the case, I am good with that. Is that their complaint?

Yosei

This is unreal. It's getting to a point where nothing really matters in a bethesda game: graphics, story, bugs, glitches, clunky gameplay, mediocre gunplay, nothing matters, all is normal and fine. As long as it has that bethesda game studios seal, it must be GOTY every year.

Man, I can't wait for the reviews thread.

Orayn

I did not read the review, I am not gonna read any review. But it sounds like F4 is more of the same, with as we all know by now much improved gunplay and better graphics and animations and a weather system. But if that's the case, I am good with that. Is that their complaint?

The complaint is that it's boring. There's a ton to do but the writing is bad and there's little motivation for the player to actually do anything.

lazygecko

C'mon, they're OK at this at best. They didn't even bother really explaining where food comes from in FO3, they have a town forming around an active nuke just because it sounds cool, etc.

FO1 and 2 are masterclasses in worldbuilding this way, FO3 was actively bad at it in comparison.

One of the funniest parts of Skyrim for me was that ice cave with the pervert necromancer, who had conveniently placed out separate journals in chronological order throughout a series of tunnels before you actually got to him. That was a contrived storytelling method if I ever saw one.

This is unreal. It's getting to a point where nothing really matters in a bethesda game: graphics, story, bugs, glitches, clunky gameplay, mediocre gunplay, nothing matters, all is normal and fine. As long as it has that bethesda game studios seal, it must be GOTY every year.

One review does not make a general consensus at either end of the spectrum

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

They do what they do very well. They obviously have deficiencies, but the interactivity of the world and the systems are really what matter.

Xav

Reviewer claims Fallout 4 is boring and based on what I've seen, he's probably right.

Guy in blue walking around ugly environments. Meh!

ryseing

To be fair, every review thread is popcorn worthy.

Gator86

Absolutely. The list of things Bethesda games don't need comprises basically every aspect of video games in 2015. It's genuinely astounding.

The review thread is gonna be glorious.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Reviewer claims Fallout 4 is boring and based on what I've seen, he's probably right.

Guy in blue walking around ugly environments. Meh!
Every Bethesda game thus far has been pretty boring after the initial shine wears off. This seems to be very much another Bethesda game. You should know by now whether or it is a game for you.

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
I'm 9 hours in and completely disagree with this review. To me the "interesting" part is just exploring the VAST wasteland that Bethesda has given us. The gameplay is good enough that I don't need a constant mission reminder or story nugget to remain immersed.

For example, no spoilers here, but a bit about a gameplay stretch from yesterday. I see a deep patch of water and dive in. I am getting eaten up by radiation, but it's been so long since I've played Fallout, I completely forget how it works. The radiation I mean. I figure I can get out, take a few stimpacks, and be good to go. Of course, I was wrong.

I'm early in the game, so I find myself stuck at about 25% max health thanks to radiation. Ok I guess, no big deal. I start exploring en route to a raider camp I want to clear out. I come across a place, turns out it's infested with ghouls. Uh oh. Naturally, this is my first death in the game. I am trying for an all melee weapon play through, but I have to break this for this encounter. I simply do not have the health to go toe to toe with a pack of feral ghouls.

So when I respawn, I try using my pistol. Nope. They are too fast and I don't do enough damage. Attempt #3, I use a double barrel shotgun I found. Yeah baby! It puts them down in 1, sometimes 2 shots. And Dogmeat is great at pinning ghouls down. I clear them out, explore the building they were blocking, and move on.

Maybe 100 yards away I stumble across some more. I take them out, enter a small place, and a brahma bull or whatever they are called, is glitches and stuck inside. I know, a glitch in a Bethesda title. So I can't fully explore it. I leave and go up into the second floor of another place. Yes! Stimpacks. I need them. On the way down I hear breathing so heavy outside I literally think something is out there fucking Dogmeat. I run out just in time for the bull that was glitched to speed by me, running and struggling and panting as fast as it can go to get where it was going. Hilarious.

I walk some more and come across a building. Mine at the door but does little damage. I go inside, scavenge a bit. I go deeper inside... another mine. Not so lucky this time. My low health means my legs are blown off and I am dead. Fuck.

I had no saved, so I spawned back in front of the ghouls. I clear them out, check the small building again and this time no bull glitched inside. I am able to go all the way to the back and sweet baby Jesus it's a medical kit. I side I find glorious Radaway! I am now fully healed, feeling great. I go back inside that building and.... fucking die again by the mine. It's strong.

And I'm back by the ghouls. I immediately clear them and get the Radaway again. This time I take a slightly different path to the building and find some armor and a machete. And best yet, grenades. I lob one into the building and the mine doesn't kill me again. I continue on my journey.

Gameplay personally doesn't get more interesting than that to me. And it's like that a lot in the game. There are obviously stretches of land with little to nothing going on, but it's a wasteland. If there were thriving strongholds and castles everywhere it wouldn't be a wasteland.

There seems to be very little actual meat in that review.

I'm a huge Fallout fan. I just watched a 1 life, no healing run of Fallout New Vegas. That story and the potential outcomes still make it the very best game I have ever played. I really hope Bethesda let's Obsodian make a west coast chapter this gen. I like Bethesda Fallout but my true hope is a continuation from New Vegas.

It's never happening, I know. ;(

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
7I3qyAh.jpg

Wow, first review leaked and this is already in play.

Does the guy even like RPGs? Sounds like he is looking for AAA set pieces, which Bethesda Game Studios games have never been about. Rise of the Tomb raider would probably have been a better choice for this reviewer.
He says he loved Inquisition because of the story and characters.

Makikou

Like, the bad and conclusion listed ALL the reasons why i don't like Fallout 3, Fallout NV. (new vegas is miles better though).

So yeah, it's what i expected. Glad i didnt buy into HYPE.

Top Bottom