• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Icarus | Official GeForce RTX Global Illumination Reveal Trailer

Kuranghi

The funny thing with RT is that most people don't think technically better lighting and global illumination is as good as a higher perceived contrast, most people will look at that correctly lit cave and say it looks worse than the old version, just because it has a higher perceived contrast.

That why you find more than a few people saying HDR is rubbish and makes everything "grey"/blown out, even when they have an OLED. This is a similar effect in that people will say the cave doesn't feel dark anymore, even if it wouldn't be dark IRL.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
The funny thing with RT is that most people don't think technically better lighting and global illumination is as good as a higher perceived contrast, most people will look at that correctly lit cave and say it looks worse than the old version, just because it has a higher perceived contrast.

That why you find more than a few people saying HDR is rubbish and makes everything "grey"/blown out, even when they have an OLED. This is a similar effect in that people will say the cave doesn't feel dark anymore, even if it wouldn't be dark IRL.
Just like in movies sometimes real life isn’t the best way to get the feeling you are trying to achieve. Sometimes lighting that makes no sense what so ever but makes the scene more dynamic is the best way to go.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Take a look at the action-packed Icarus launch trailer for the session-based survival game, Icarus, ahead of the game's release on December 3 for PC via Steam.

Icarus is a session-based survival game for up to eight co-op players where players drop onto the broken terraformed planet of Icarus. Initially equipped with nothing, players drop to the planet for missions lasting from hours to weeks, before returning to orbit to progress their character and tech for the next drop.

GK_Gats

Sorry but 3xxx series ain't cut for rtx.. wait 2 generations...

NVIDIA can make cute trailers

Go full raw 4k max rtx in CyberPunk....u get 17 to 2..27 fps..lol

Over hyped Bullshit.. I have a rtx 3080 ..
You need to activate DLSS.
I also have a RTX 3080 and I rarely dip below 60 FPS at 4K ultra settings RTX on in Cyberpunk (last update).

ClosBSAS

Sorry but 3xxx series ain't cut for rtx.. wait 2 generations...

NVIDIA can make cute trailers

Go full raw 4k max rtx in CyberPunk....u get 17 to 2..27 fps..lol

Over hyped Bullshit.. I have a rtx 3080 ..
agreed...but as a high end pc gamer it pisses me off not to use it. i turn it on, no matter what. cyberpunk if you can max it out at full its insane how it looks with RTX.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Check out the documentary-style short film, Icarus: Fatal Sky, blending live-action and game footage from the sci-fi survival game, Icarus.

Icarus: Fatal Sky tells the story of a prospecting team that didn't make it back. When an ill-fated First Cohort expedition saw most of a team killed by an 'unexpected' Force 12 storm, a scandal erupted with consequences and conspiracy claims back home on Earth. The team's search for exotic matter pushed them to their limits as they surveyed Icarus' terraformed surface, but who was ultimately to blame?

Fatal Sky unpicks the stories, science, and counter-claims surrounding this tragedy, revealing new truths about an event that shook the world.

Icarus is a session-based survival game for up to eight co-op players where players drop onto the broken terraformed planet of Icarus. Initially equipped with nothing, players drop to the planet for missions lasting from hours to weeks, before returning to orbit to progress their character and tech for the next drop.

Icarus arrives on PC via Steam on December 3, 2021.

Top Bottom