• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ICO 2???

Leguna

Banned
I remember around E3 2002 (i think) there were pics of the supposed game right here on the Gaming Age's front page at one time. I wish I had saved them. It was this guy jumping on a HUGE hairy beast and stabbing it, making it bleed to the sky. Looked awesome, but i haven't heard of it since. Is that team still around? Does anyone still have a link to those pics? Here's the only one I have...
ico-wide.jpg

I'm pretty sure the japanese text is just talking about how the company is hiring.

Back when Ico came out, no game touched its graphics, mood, atmosphere, cinematography, general feeling. The director of Ico is a talented man and hope he releases another game under his name.

Ryu

Wario64 said:
http://tokyopia.com/tk/archives/ico.jpg

ICO the novel? WTF is this?!

Oh man what I would give to be able to read japanese fluently. I could never get my head around all the kanji though. -_-

I bought the novel yesterday. Funny story: I went to GAMERS (large anime/game fandom store) in Akihabara to try to buy it. When I gave the staff the name and author (Miyabe Miyuki), they gave me a look like I had just gone into a somewhat shady "massage parlor" and asked for a foot rub. "A well-written novel from an established Japanese author?" said their eyes. "I don't care if it came from a game - this store only carries fanfic of big-eyed anime schoolgirls girls getting raped by their classmates (and liking it)." What can I say - they had very expressive eyes.

So I went to a "real" bookstore, where it was on display near the front, and bought it no problem. 1800y, hardcover, and about 600 pages (!). It's a bit tough (no furigana, by-and-large), but I think I can read it if I'm patient.

Leguna

Banned
neptunes:
Does any other site have it? What exactly was in the video? What is the sequel to ICO? Was it truly called Nico?

Leguna said:
neptunes:
Does any other site have it? What exactly was in the video? What is the sequel to ICO? Was it truly called Nico?

Nico's just a working title. Ni = two, ico = ICO, Nico = ICO 2. It's a pun.

B000002G7C.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

signet

I just go another copy of ICO from the CC sale, the game is as fantastic as I remember it. Why are we on Jak III, R&C3, Sly Coop2 and Mark of Kri 2 yet ICO 2 is still nothing more than a dream.

I venture to say ICO is the most beautiful game on the PS2

Perhaps just like Ico made its transition from PS1 to PS2, Ico 2 (or Nico) is going to become a PS3 title. Though not sure if they can use the technical excuse for such a change this time around. :S

Kinpachi-sensei is THE MAN! He teaches those middle school students in 3-B about life, love, and everything you need to know about the world! Taking impressionable young minds and setting them straight on the path to adulthood! Solving their problems and resolving conflicts in clever and satisfactory ways! Avoiding his dickhead supervisor who doesn't appreciate the way Kinpachi-sensei "keeps it real" for his kids!

TV show (new season/students every year)

Game I will buy when it inevitably hits 2000y

Leguna

Banned
Leshita:
I was thinking the same thing. It would be a smart move. I can't imagine what the next generation console games will look like!

Imagine MGS4 on PS3 (if Hideo Kojima is still behind it, and he probably won't be).

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Back when Ico came out, no game touched its graphics, mood, atmosphere, cinematography, general feeling.
Does any game do that today? Sure, we can argue graphics all day and night, but other things? I don't know anything that has even simillar (much less better) general feeling, mood, or atmosphere. New PoP kinda tried to go there, but not really, and ended up being it's own beast - and that's about the only game I can think of.

It seems like noone on the whole internet has that video, and Exxy here was the only person I ever heard saying it even existed. He said he lost it in the hard drive crash. You can find the pictures from that video pretty much everywhere, though. IGN has them:

ico2_leaked_042903_01.jpg

ico2_leaked_042903_02.jpg

ico2_leaked_042903_03.jpg

ico2_leaked_042903_04.jpg

ico2_leaked_042903_05.jpg

ico2_leaked_042903_06.jpg

ico2_leaked_042903_07.jpg

Many people speculate the name NICO is made up word of NI which means two in Japanese and ICO, so that it's ICO 2. To me, Nico just seemed like a name of the new protagonist, much like Ico was in the first game. Then again, I could be completely wrong. (then again, it might not matter if the game isn't coming :p)

It's still coming. Have patience.
But how do you know?

Marconelly said:
Many people speculate the name NICO is made up word of NI which means two in Japanese and ICO, so that it's ICO 2. To me, Nico just seemed like a name of the new protagonist, much like Ico was in the first game.

That IS where NICO comes from. But I'm 99% sure it's just an internal name for the project, and doesn't mean it's actually ICO 2 or a sequel to the game in any way. It's just a cute way of saying "the game that comes after ICO." I seriously doubt the protagonist would be named Nico.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
That IS where NICO comes from.
Or it can just be a concidence? Remeber, there wasn't a WORD from the official source about this game. Not a single whisper actually. We have no real clue why is it named that way or whether it's some kind of real sequel or not.

As a name, Nico about as unplausible as Ico. Well, Nico can be a female name in French, so maybe not that unplausible. But it would be a nice name for a new female protagonist :p

BuddyC

Here's the story:

Gaming-Age, the website (not the forum) had the video hosted. Sony asked them to take it down almost immediately, and they did.

At least, that's how eXxy tells it.

Well, personally I give the title as much meaning as Banjo-Tooie. It's a mildly clever pun on the title of the first game and nothing more ... imo.

We'll see!

jenov4

So how bad / poorly did the original ICO do in terms of sales anyways? Anyone got the numbers for North America, Europe & Japan?

neptunes

jenov4 said:
So how bad / poorly did the original ICO do in terms of sales anyways? Anyone got the numbers for North America, Europe & Japan?

enough to become a GH title, so I guess it didn't do too bad.

Brofist

Ryu said:
Oh man what I would give to be able to read japanese fluently. I could never get my head around all the kanji though. -_-

Guess that would make it sort of difficult eh. :p

kevm3

It's a very relaxing game... I wonder how different it would feel if they had emotional music playing instead of the ambient sounds...

BuddyChrist83 said:
The video supposedly came from a DVD meant to be used for company presentations, I think.

The guy who posted those pics and claimed to have seen the video also mentioned a bucnh of stuff about MGS3 that was suppose to be on the DVD that NICO was on. Like a co op mode, Snake inflitrating a village ect, which hasn't been shown or really even hinted at (well the co op mode atleast).

OPM UK also claims to have seen the video. They had a more detailed description of it in their pages sometime ago. I posted the scan here and got banned at the time. :(

Zer0

Banned
the guy who leaked the nico images and the sirend images was the same

but not the guy who leaked the mgs3 info

how i know? cause im the guy who leaked the nico images.also there was a video

and about nico..sony want to take this game more seriously than the first in terms of advertising and development

B'z-chan

Banned
I remember seeing the video. And it should be noted that its still coming out. The original team that did ico is still recieving a good amount of funding. So that would lead me to believe that they are still making the game. As they havent been making anything since ICO i believe. I would hope that this game comes out sooner rather than later. But i'm betting sony is trying to get a lineup for 05 to save them from competition over time. It should be interesting to see. I say we should see something by October if not November.

jenov4

Or maybe they're having it for the PS3 (Just like the original ICO was meant for the PS1 but later moved to PS2)

I doubt this title will be a big seller (like the original ICO) though. :(

Top Bottom