• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ico we need a PS4 or PS5 port

fvng

It was already remastered beautifully by Bluepoint, they just need to port the game over. Everyone needs to play this game but it's impossible to recommend when people need to find a spare PS2 or PS3 laying around. It's not even on PS4 as a PS2 classic. Really don't like how neglected this masterpiece is by Sony

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
It's in my top 5 of all time. The atmosphere in this minorly flawed gem touched my soul gently but firm enough to awaken memories or longings to which I was only aware of in my dreams.. Haven't played it in a long ass time so the only fundamental improvements I can come with atm is regarding tightening up the controls and i guess just general qol improvements..

ICO <3

Kuranghi

Looks pretty at a glance but has none of the magic of the original.

Bluepoint is a gathering of skilled craftsmen, they're not artists, and their work reflects it.

Can you give a specific example? I don't mind how minor it is, I just don't know what you mean, even if its just this camera angle is different or the lighting is changed. I thought the cinematography and tone was intact in the remake, the physics are the same as before afaik since its the old engine running underneath the game. I played OG PS2 SotC to death and I felt it to be a brilliant remake, if they didnt add in more ground detail and alter certains areas (Like the forest with the light streaming through and a few broken shrines) I think it would've looked weird with higher quality materials and polygon count.

Or are you more meaning the increase in available technology made it lose its PS2 charm? Like the way they were doing things that aren't really possible on PS2 by using tricks, eg the HDR bloom, the way the distant environment is rendered and how it blends LoDs/meshes as you traverse the open world, with no loading.

PS3 HD version is good enough for me. The stereoscopic 3D really allowed you to appreciate the scale of the game whenever galavanting outside. I doubt a PS4/PS5 remake would still offer 3D, such as with the SOTC remake

Looks pretty at a glance but has none of the magic of the original.

Bluepoint is a gathering of skilled craftsmen, they're not artists, and their work reflects it.
So this is why Demon's Souls on PS5 looks like shit right?

What kind of drugs are you taking today buddy?

Kimahri

Banned
Can you give a specific example? I don't mind how minor it is, I just don't know what you mean, even if its just this camera angle is different or the lighting is changed. I thought the cinematography and tone was intact in the remake, the physics are the same as before afaik since its the old engine running underneath the game. I played OG PS2 SotC to death and I felt it to be a brilliant remake, if they didnt add in more ground detail and alter certains areas (Like the forest with the light streaming through and a few broken shrines) I think it would've looked weird with higher quality materials and polygon count.

Or are you more meaning the increase in available technology made it lose its PS2 charm? Like the way they were doing things that aren't really possible on PS2 by using tricks, eg the HDR bloom, the way the distant environment is rendered and how it blends LoDs/meshes as you traverse the open world, with no loading.

This is a big part of it, for sure. You can do so much now, that it hardly seems concidered whether or not we should. Which is a nice segway into Jurassic Park, which is a fine example of what I mean. The dinosaurs in the original Jurassic Park were made by true artists. The dinosaurs look like real animals, they move and behave like real animals. In Jurassic World, the artists seem to hav retired and are now replaced by very skilled craftsmen. The dinosaurs are techincally brilliant and incredibly detailed, but they act like cartoon characters. Just overdone and taken to the extreme.

The remake is like that to me. Just throw everything in, since we can. Let's not take a single moment to sit down and truly discuss the emotional impact of anything we do. Which is important, since the original game was a very emotionally constructed experience.

So this is why Demon's Souls on PS5 looks like shit right?

What kind of drugs are you taking today buddy?
Where did I say it looks like shit? I said they're skilled craftsmen. The original SotC was a deep, emotional experience to me. And it shone through in everything. The remake just felt like if someone just tried to make it prettier without really analyzing how and why the original work made you feel something.

sublimit

Banned
suJk3J.png
I also prefer the original Wander's face but come on man lets not look at the tree and miss the forest. Blue Point did an incredible job with the remake. They didn't make it to replace the original but to offer a modern look while respecting the source material.

shadowps421.jpg

Shadow-of-the-Colossus-PS4-Wallpapers_03.jpg

sotc_ps4_1.jpg

shadow-of-the-colossus-review-1.jpg

3e342dafe41584187dbda9800dacaef5.jpg

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
This is one of the reasons I’ll keep my PS3 slim. Love this game (as well as other PS2 remasters on the system).

The lack of BC is why I’ll skip the PS5 until they right this wrong.

sublimit

Banned
No Team ICO, no respect.
Plus, this is the version that will be ported in the future and that Sony will push forward, so it will replace the original "officially".
Same goes for Demon's Souls.

I'm sorry but this clearly shows you're biased and no matter what Blue Point (or anyone else) did you'd still find something to hate them. But each to his own.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
Not at all.
They just have to make a single good game of their own, and not ruin other people's work.
I'd also love to see them working on their own IP because i think they are a very talented studio and they can grow even further.

But how exactly did they "ruin" Shadow of the Colossus? By not getting Wander's face 100% right?

It was already remastered beautifully by Bluepoint, they just need to port the game over. Everyone needs to play this game but it's impossible to recommend when people need to find a spare PS2 or PS3 laying around. It's not even on PS4 as a PS2 classic. Really don't like how neglected this masterpiece is by Sony
I'm pretty sure we will get a bundle on Ps5 (ico, sotc, trico)

Kimahri

Banned
I also prefer the original Wander's face but come on man lets not look at the tree and miss the forest. Blue Point did an incredible job with the remake. They didn't make it to replace the original but to offer a modern look while respecting the source material.

shadowps421.jpg

Shadow-of-the-Colossus-PS4-Wallpapers_03.jpg

sotc_ps4_1.jpg

shadow-of-the-colossus-review-1.jpg

3e342dafe41584187dbda9800dacaef5.jpg
It's a very pretty game. But the original is magical, eerie, tense. This is just very pretty, and less interesting for me.

TransTrender

Gold Member
I don't know how you would remaster this given the camera design in this game...it would have to be a top to bottom remake but then you might lose the charm since it's a relic of the time it was made...
My most recent playthrough was the PS3 version but in 3D!!!! That was just fine and pretty neat.

Top Bottom