• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'd love to see Guerilla Games develop a Dead Space-esque game

Killzone Shadow Fall was definitely 80% technical show piece and 20% game. Honestly after the first three levels it just felt like they hit fuck it and made the actual game play and content filler, with the strong emphasis remaining on how stunning the game could look. One thing, did however stick with me and it was that third level on the space ship. Even though I was playing Killzone, for a moment I really did feel a little bit of that uneasyness and fear that I experienced with Dead Space. But cut to 2018, Dead Space being well and truly buried courtesy of EA and their closure of Visceral games, I would like to see Guerilla go one step further and design a Dead Space-esque game. I think they might be able to pull it off quite well. If they had for example, two teams and one had the choice of making a new title or Killzone title between Horizon 1 and 2, I would definitely like to see them give it a go. Do you think the studio has the design team and experience to pull it off?

Ridcully

They have the chops for it, sure. But I don't think Guerilla would make a horror game, and wouldn't want to risk any overlap with The Last of Us.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I'm watching the noclip documentary for Horizon and they certainly have the technical chops for it. However, the writing is what makes or breaks horror games. Is John Gonzalez (writer for Fallout NV and Horizon among other things) even a fan of horror?

Would it be like Dead Space or Dead Space 2? Let's ignore Dead Space 3.

farmerboy

Yep, I'd be up for that. They have the talent and hopefully, after Horizon, they have the confidence to tackle anything.

nowhat

Could they do it? I'm sure they could, when it comes to the technical side of things. And as to narrative/story, it wasn't like John Gonzalez et al. were originally employed by Guerrilla, they could get some new hires to scratch that horror itch.

But will they, I think it's very doubtful at least for the time being. Guerrilla is still a relatively small studio, and I'm 100% certain they're busy working on a Horizon sequel. I don't see them working on two projects full-time (when Shadow Fall was being developed, Horizon was being worked on by a small team, mostly focusing on tech/tools and concepts).

ehead

Necromorphs combined with killer machines! I've only played one GG game (Horizon) but I'm pretty confident they can do space horror. Horizon is an IP that came out of nowhere and it really surprised me a lot. Their tech plus the standard Deadspace gameplay mixed with their own flare sound really amazing.

Last edited:

milkshake

Neo Member
is Dead Space a benchmark in quality of the genre?

the level design is such a mess, that the way point system concedes this, and just tells you where to go. the horror of knowing exactly where to go..spooky

Top Bottom