• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Idle thumbs IS BACK (Kickstarter ended) -- Funded in 3 hours

thefil

... did they get funding? I can't imagine this will. Its pretty ... "bleh"

just had a look. They did pretty good; I won't be listening though; didn't make the cut for a reason.

Garnett Lee should do a Kickstarter campaign for free money if this crew can rake that much in. WC is largely beloved.

Wow. Weekend Confirmed over Idle Thumbs?

I just kind of assumed Idle Thumbs was impossible not to love.

Would never work since the required podcasters are now spread to the ends of the earth and busy with their own lives and projects.

Luke isn't necessary because he sucks now. He was own the Out of the Game podcast for like a year and all he did was play WoW and say "huh huh" every now and then. He liked the attention he got at 1up Yours and when he was no longer the star of the show, he was a crappy podcast personality who didn't care about listerners' experience. He was even the same way at the 1up Reunions.

However, you'd absolutely must have Shane, Garnet, and John Davidson and that's not possible. Shane's at Sony, Davidson is at Gamespot and Garnet is at Gamefly.

Frankly, I also think a lot of what made that podcast great was the time and place. It shined at the start of a generation when a lot of stuff was unstable and crazy things were happening at all three big console makers. And they were all at the same place and part of the same culture.

The best podcast these days in my opinion are Gamers With Jobs and Giant Bomb.

Wow. Weekend Confirmed over Idle Thumbs?

I just kind of assumed Idle Thumbs was impossible not to love.

I've actually never listened to Idle Thumbs. Are there archived versions somewhere? Maybe I'll listen to one during my jog this afternoon. If I dig the show, I might toss in a few bucks.

Great news, congrats on the Idle Thumbs guys, and look forward to listening to their podcast again. Their podcasts always made me really happy. Currently, I don't really have a clear favorite podcast anymore - it just partly depends on what's being talked about, but the overal quality of all the talking on all the podcasts seems generally ... not something I'm as happy with as I used to.

bdouble

I just have to say awesome. I love the kickstarter stories. I love the idea of pay what you want and this couldn't happen to a better product. Love the thumbs and will donate when I get my funds in line. Thanks for coming back.

fallout

The cost of doing something DOES NOT equal the amount that people are willing to pay for it. Why is this such a difficult concept for people to understand?

Anyway, welcome back Thumbs!

sixghost

... did they get funding? I can't imagine this will. Its pretty ... "bleh"

just had a look. They did pretty good; I won't be listening though; didn't make the cut for a reason.

Garnett Lee should do a Kickstarter campaign for free money if this crew can rake that much in. WC is largely beloved.

Thanks for that stream of consciousness post.

Idle Thumbs is multiple levels of quality above Weekend Confirmed. It very good when it was Garnett/Leahy/Cannata, but the quality took a nosedive once Leahy left. That show is unbearable now.

please fund a brodeo reunion with your internet money, 5 thousand of those dollars will go to jeff green to pay for his pc upgrade.

the best thing about this is not the money earned per se, but the small amount of people needed to support something like IdleThumbs.

1200 people is not a lot, given the reach of the world wide web. But it only took 400 some odd people to help these guys meet their goal, and with 1200 people they have enough to do even more with this project that they and their backers love.

Brick

For me, Idle Thumbs was the greatest gaming podcast ever made, even better than GFW Radio: The Brodeo. Couldn't be happier to hear about this. Donated.

For me, Idle Thumbs was the greatest gaming podcast ever made, even better than GFW Radio: The Brodeo. Couldn't be happier to hear about this. Donated.
Agreed. It has the banter of the Brodeo, but, well, they also actually talked about games. They delved into games that would otherwise get overlooked on other podcasts, and had discussions about them that was really unlike anything else out there.

kms_md

More than happy to support the 3 podcasts I have received the most entertainment from: Bombcast, GWJ, and now Idle Thumbs.

do the bird noise ...

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Agreed. It has the banter of the Brodeo, but, well, they also actually talked about games. They delved into games that would otherwise get overlooked on other podcasts, and had discussions about them that was really unlike anything else out there.

Well, Shawn brought kind of a Gumbo angle to the podcast, so that was pretty unique, and entertaining in a weird way.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
011.gif

idle thumbs is like the PG Wodehouse of podcasts

In a very good way, so fucking clever. Who else would make a spontaneous joke about Dante's Inferno development pitch mapping onto a mandelbrot set?

Yeah, they are insanely self-referential and love to laugh at their own jokes, but that makes sense because their jokes are hilarious.

The Brodeo just wasn't nearly as consistent, mostly because of cast issues.

El Sloth

Banned
GFW Radio and Idle Thumbs, while very similar in a lot of ways, were still very much their own things in my opinion and as such it feels a little unfair to compare them.

Part of what I mean by that is that both podcasts were started for fairly different reasons. GFW Radio was started as something that largely was supposed to be, from what I've heard, a supplement to their magazine (R.I.P. CGW), meanwhile Idle Thumbs from what I remember was started because the fellas thought a few folks might be interested in hearing the conversations that they were having anyways. Of course GFW Radio almost immediately became it's own thing rather than a supplement to the magazine, but hopefully some of you get what I'm clumsily trying to say.

Nothing to with anything, but I only just realized that my two favorite podcasts also happen to have produced hilarious and catchy songs. Coincidence?

Hakkesshu

Idle Thumbs probably bears the responsibility of getting me actively interested in game design on a theoretical level. During my university days, I never quite could figure out what topic I wanted to focus on for my master's thesis, but I ended up settling on the idea of interactive narrative - in large part due to Thumbs' views on game design.

Few people, inside or outside of the industry, manage to make this topic both interesting and insightful. Thumbs managed to make it downright inspiring, even to someone with no prior design experience. And it ended up working out, as I got a fair amount of praise for my thesis and I'm now a freelance games writer. So thanks for for doing what you do, messrs. Thumbs!

Gomu Gomu

Idle Thumbs probably bears the responsibility of getting me actively interested in game design on a theoretical level. During my university days, I never quite could figure out what topic I wanted to focus on for my master's thesis, but I ended up settling on the idea of interactive narrative - in large part due to Thumbs' views on game design.

Few people, inside or outside of the industry, manage to make this topic both interesting and insightful. Thumbs managed to make it downright inspiring, even to someone with no prior design experience. And it ended up working out, as I got a fair amount of praise for my thesis and I'm now a freelance games writer. So thanks for for doing what you do, messrs. Thumbs!

Dude, this is awesome.

To be fair: despite all the insanity, the brodeo had very deep discussions on game design and the industry. I remember a particular episode where they dissected the level design of HL2: ep 2 which was pretty brilliant.

Empty

the brodeo did that too though. few other podcasts talked about il-2 sturmovic or stalker or even peggle, i remember shawn talking about some marble rolling game for the wii at length too, and when they covered the big games like crysis, metal gear solid 4, episode 2, bioshock, mario galaxy, etc they always brought interesting perspectives and measured criticism that stood out to me.

the two shows have their own feels to them in humour and idle thumbs talked about games more, but i really do feel like it's the spiritual successor to gfw radio. especially in talking about games that interest them instead of 'well this game got good reviews so we better talk about it and say the same banal shit that everyone else has already'.

PowderedToast

huh? GFW radio did all these things too.

the brodeo did that too though. few other podcasts talked about il-2 sturmovic or stalker or even peggle, i remember shawn talking about some marble rolling game for the wii at length too, and when they covered the big games like crysis, metal gear solid 4, episode 2, bioshock, mario galaxy, etc they always brought interesting perspectives and measured criticism that stood out to me.
Yeah, that's true. It's all coming back to me. Looking at the podcast page it's been a little over three years since it ended. Where does that time go?

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Well, at the time, the uncommon games were actually being talked about frequently in my rotation. Like, I had GFW, Thumbs and GWJ telling me about weird games.

Not sure why I'm pointing that out. Anyway, the differentiator for me certainly wasn't the choice of games to be talked about. More like the moment-to-moment interactions between participants.

Top Bottom