• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Idle thumbs IS BACK (Kickstarter ended) -- Funded in 3 hours

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yay, we can finally talk about this!

I'm genuinely shocked that they are going to hit their goal so soon. That's just crazy.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, I had a dream about Bioshock Infinite last night. i dreamt that I was on the floating city, but it was really my house. And there were a few other people there. A couple of them were asleep so I decided to throw them off to their deaths so I could be in charge. Then a few minutes later I was on the ground, watching the the city disappear behind some clouds. Then it came back out and it had some sort of chain dangling down like it was airlifting a piano or that fat lady from whats eating gilbert grape. I recorded the whole thing on my phone in my dream but then I woke up.

What are these guys doing now? Job-wise?

Chris is doing we don't know what (hopefully they get enough money to have him just do thumbs full time, and do it like the Penny Arcade Editorial stuff)

Jack and Sean is Telltale (Walking Dead)

Steve is freelance game designer after leaving Irrational.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
I'm rooting for you guys to make that final $1,803 in the remaining 30 days. Let's pray.

Edit: Sorry, I meant $702.

Gomu Gomu

Never listened to these guys. Anyone care to link to what they consider the most convincing argument for giving them funding that they've ever produced?

Only one argument? Damn, my head hurts just thinking about narrowing their best in a top 10 list.

If you want a good introduction though, here's a previous post I made:

Start with the first one is the default answer. If, for whatever reason, you don't have the time, you can check out This Year's compilation I linked to earlier: http://thisyearcollection.blogspot.com/2011/10/18-idle-thumbs.html
It's six hours of awesome content. However, there are still a TON of other awesome moments not included.

I clicked on the Double Fine kickstarter by accident and thought the Thumbs had just gotten a hugeeeeeeeeeeeeeee donation boost :lol

Futureman

They'll be there in a minutes. Wow.

Once I get my cartoon off the ground (see avatar), I'm thinking of doing a Kickstarter.

Only problem is I don't have any kind of fan base or anything, so I really don't know how well I could raise money.

Can first time projects that actually have quality raise around $20k?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Never listened to these guys. Anyone care to link to what they consider the most convincing argument for giving them funding that they've ever produced?

http://www.idlethumbs.net/home/

The most convincing argument is their entire body of work. Anything out of context is easily perceived as dudes laughing too much at "inside" jokes. You have to get to know them, by starting at the beginning. Then the truth of their glory shall be revealed. Or maybe you won't like it. It's cool either way.

Not helpful at all, I know. But I do honestly think that a "vertical slice" of their podcast won't necessarily convince you of anything.

Put fiddy on it. They way I figure it, I've listened to all the previous casts 4-5 times from front to back now, which is already well worth the money.

To anyone able to pledge big monies: Demand a Ballmer cast!

Holy shit. $30k for a podcast and website seems kind of batshit insane and it's going to hit it in a matter of hours. Kickstarter is crazy.

I kinda wonder what their plan was 2 weeks ago. Remo left Irrational before the whole Double Fine Thing and I doubt this was on the radar before that whole spectacle. Anyway, looking forward to seeing what happens here. Remo and company might be eating dinner every other day for 3 months. :)

edit: fuck, they made $2000 in the time it took me to type six sentences. celebration song time! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrRR3H7CLOQ

border

Out of curiousity, does Kickstarter do anything to make sure the products you pay for are actually delivered?

Like if I tried to Kickstart a t-shirt and I met my goal -- what is there in place to keep me from taking the money and bolting? Or to keep me from delivering a t-shirt that is significantly lower quality from the one I promised?

I don't think the IT guys would do such a thing, I'm just curious how much trust you need to have in the people you donate to. Do they just get a check from Kickstarter and then it's done, or is there any oversight beyond that?

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole

Once I get my cartoon off the ground (see avatar), I'm thinking of doing a Kickstarter.

Only problem is I don't have any kind of fan base or anything, so I really don't know how well I could raise money.

It's not impossible per se, but I wouldn't bet on it, to be honest (I would actually probably bet against it). You would have to generate buzz with the Kickstarter page alone in that scenario. If you haven't managed to do that until now with other means, the chances for this playing out nicely are pretty slim.

awesomesvjs8.gif

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I kinda wonder what their plan was 2 weeks ago. Remo left Irrational before the whole Double Fine Thing and I doubt this was on the radar before that whole spectacle. Anyway, looking forward to seeing what happens here. Remo and company might be eating dinner every other day for 3 months. :)

No way. Or maybe way, but no way.

just cruising around the thumbs site and noticed this:

JP LeBRETON
Double Fine Productions

when the hell did this happen? that's some awesome news.

Yes, they can. I would say one of the most important things is the video and the pitch.

Dice Hate Me is a small husband and wife team in NC that have funded two board games, even though they were relatively unknown entities.

The quality of their videos certainly helped.

Make sure your video shows the products, clearly explains what you will do with the money, and shows the charm and character of your project.

sixghost

Out of curiousity, does Kickstarter do anything to make sure the products you pay for are actually delivered?

Like if I tried to Kickstart a t-shirt and I met my goal -- what is there in place to keep me from taking the money and bolting? Or to keep me from delivering a t-shirt that is significantly lower quality from the one I promised?

I don't think the IT guys would do such a thing, I'm just curious how much trust you need to have in the people you donate to. Do they just get a check from Kickstarter and then it's done, or is there any oversight beyond that?

I don't know enough to actually answer that question, but I'm sure there are some safeguards in place to prevent these things. I believe you need to present kickstarter with an expense plan to justify amount of money you are asking for.

Mihos

Gold Member
Hell yes, They have my money.

Thumbs and Giant Bomb are all I need to make me care less about the asshole doing half the speed limit in front of me.

Gomu Gomu

Holy shit. $30k for a podcast and website seems kind of batshit insane and it's going to hit it in a matter of hours. Kickstarter is crazy.

Remo said they've been working on this for months.

tokkun

Their FAQ says they rely on "social pressure" to enforce things (i.e. they do nothing).

dekjo

http://www.idlethumbs.net/home/

The most convincing argument is their entire body of work. Anything out of context is easily perceived as dudes laughing too much at "inside" jokes. You have to get to know them, by starting at the beginning. Then the truth of their glory shall be revealed. Or maybe you won't like it. It's cool either way.

Not helpful at all, I know. But I do honestly think that a "vertical slice" of their podcast won't necessarily convince you of anything.

The first time I listened to Idle Thumbs it was some random cast - one of the ones in the teen's, I believe. Couldn't stand it. All the laughing and interrupting each other.

But I kept seeing the threads here and 1up Yours was dying, so figured I'd give it another shot so I could have a new gaming podcast to listen to. This time, I started from the beginning and I've been a fan ever since.

So I'd definitely recommend starting with the first one. If that is too daunting, then the This Year In compilation is also a good starting point.

Top Bottom