• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IDW announces new 'Jem and the Holograms' comic series by Thompson/Campbell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Their songs are better.

6gGbsne.jpg
Campbell/Thompson reveal The Misfits' New Look, Talk About New Series (io9)

Also,
according to Thompson Stormer and Kimber will be lovers in the new series.

Nah, I hate it. Looks like Bratz dolls to me. The anime looking designs on the hoodie I'm wearing right now looks a lot better. BTW is there a Jem community thread here?

Cheerilee

I don't like the art.

As an example, I think Jem is supposed to have a "good girl" design, countered by Pizzazz's "bad girl" design. Pizzazz is sexy and threatening, while Jem is sexy and non-threatening. 80's Jem's primary outfit is a nice looking one-piece, which looks sensible, comfortable even, but it has a very short skirt. Okay, nothing wrong with that. And then her shoes are rather basic. But the short skirt and the small shoes combine to make a statement of "look at my sexy legs". She's being deliberately sexy, but she gets away with it because of how she goes about it.

The new Jem is wearing a coil that would probably fall off of her if it wasn't under constant tension. There's no subtlety, and she's showing more to accomplish less. Also, those boots are awful. Everyone's footwear is terrible. And they ruined Jem's earrings. I think Pizzazz has a decent design, although I can't see her shoes, so maybe that's why. Also, her face looks like 12-year-old Aang from Avatar the Last Airbender.

I will say that updating a classic design is like walking into a minefield. Some people will love it, some will hate it. It's to be expected.

On a positive note, here's one of Amy Mebberson's variant covers.

Lokimaru

I don't like the art.

The new Jem is wearing a coil that would probably fall off of her if it wasn't under constant tension. There's no subtlety, and she's showing more to accomplish less. Also, those boots are awful. Everyone's footwear is terrible. And they ruined Jem's earrings. I think Pizzazz has a decent design, although I can't see her shoes, so maybe that's why. Also, her face looks like 12-year-old Aang from Avatar the Last Airbender.

I will say that updating a classic design is like walking into a minefield. Some people will love it, some will hate it. It's to be expected.

On a positive note, here's one of Amy Mebberson's variant covers.

Jerrica's's covered head to toe in a solid light hologram, what's going to fall off?

AlexMogil

Any time my wife digs out the Jem DVD's I stick around for Eric Raymond.

Say what you will about Eric Raymond's ethics, but any man who's willing to commandeer a wrecking ball (and risk serious jail time for public endangerment and attempted murder) solely to further the careers of his clients is an man worth representing you.

km5Q1nA.jpg

Pictured: A canny business man

Holy cow, did everything change when he went into free software?

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I don't like the Bratz look at all either.

It's cool though with the whole Jem revival however - heard about the movie months ago (for better or worse) and just saw this topic about this comic.

Campbell's original Jetta redesign is the best. Hope it's final.

jem-jetta.jpg

I would be all for this, if they can convince James Stokoe to draw it.

Now this I like. Too bad they didn't stick with it whatsoever looking at the confirmed designs for The Misfits above.

My favorite episode will always be when Stormer and Kimber formed a duo. Come to find out that Stormer was the true talent behind the Misfits.

The main thing I remember thinking was how much I hated the Misfits, though, that's still the first thing I think of when I think ofJem. I took it seriously as a kid so I hated the Misfits so much, I didn't understand why they wouldn't just leave the Holograms alone.

Who hated the Misfits? They were way cooler than Jem and her bunch of goodytwoshoes.

JC Lately

Pacing of the issue felt a little rushed (guess they wanted to hurry up and get to Synergy. Can’t say I blame them), and the exposition from Kimber (and Synergy) was a bit too much of a lore bomb. Also, for a while I thought they had switched her age with Jerrica since she seemed like the more mature of the two, but the bio’s at the end confirmed Jerrica is 23 to Kimber’s 18. Art was fine; seen better, seen way worse. Characterization for the rest of the band was slight but present. I have a feeling I’m going to really like Aja. Would have liked to have seen the Misfits, but origin story gonna origin story.

The issue didn’t knock my socks off, but I’m intrigued enough to stay with it for a few more months.

Outrageousness Level: To be determined.

Rewatched Jem on Netflix and it is probably the 80s cartoon that held up the best. Sad it was canceled despite high ratings because the toys didn't sell. And yeah the Misfits songs were better.

JC Lately

That’s one thing I’m worried about for the comics. The songs. Whenever comic books try to do original songs, the result is pretty terrible. Due to the lack of, you know, sound.

Best case you get a pottery reading. Worse case? That one issue of Batman where he goes to war against rock music.

Second best.

fJbkrkV.jpg

Third.

Rainbow Brite remains legit and I’ll fight the man that says otherwise.

Pilgrimzero

The 6th issue was released yesterday, which means the TPB will be along soon.

This series is GREAT and I recommend everyone pick it up.

It's really sad this THIS version of the cast couldn't have been made into a movie instead of the generic PoS that has been made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom