• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Activision Blizzard were to suddenly disappear from the gaming industry and all their franchises, would you miss them?

If Activision Blizzard were to suddenly disappear from the gaming industry and all their franchises,

• Yes, their games and franchises are integral to the gaming industry.

Votes: 94 29.4%
  • No, let the company die, none of their franchises are valuable to me anymore.

Votes: 123 38.4%
  • Indifferent, I don't care what happens to them either way.

Votes: 103 32.2%

• Total voters

levyjl1988

Banned
topic.

If Activision Blizzard disappeared from the gaming industry and all their IPS and franchises, would you miss them? Let's say they were Thanos snapped going forward. They won't be making future titles, etc. Companies dead, reputation in the gutter, their executives are all fucking scumbags, etc.
Would you miss them at all if they up and vanished from the gaming industry?

What would your reaction be?

Good riddance?
Fuck'em
I don't play their games anyways?
All their games are fucking exploitative cash grabs anyways, they won't be missed? etc.
Their game franchises should be owned by a different company?

What's your response?

Curious to see what GAF personally thinks.

Kilau

Never Mind Homer GIF by MOODMAN

Ok, now that the unrelated FF7 image is gone…

I personally wouldn’t miss anything they do but I’m not for all those IPs just vanishing.

Last edited:

Aenima

Dont really care. I dont play any games from them for a long time, last game i played was Diablo 3 last gen.
I dont really want them to die, i want them to see the criticism against them and get better.

Yes I would miss Diablo and Starcraft. The rest aren't my thing. Although I did play a bunch of Overwatch, but not anymore and I don't care for a sequel.

lefty1117

Gold Member
Just because people are mad at the company now shouldn't erase all of the great franchises they've created over the years. Yes I think no more COD, no more Diablo or Warcraft or Starcraft stuff ... yeah I think people would start to miss that pretty hard and the nostalgaz would kick in

SZips

That company has been largely dead to me for a while anyway. Their BS lately just ensures I'll not be tempted to support them.

I used to somewhat enjoy the CoD franchise for both the SP and MP. I can't keep up really with the MP anymore so I probably wouldn't even play that. As for the SP, I can just watch someone else play through to save me the $60+.

I used to love WoW but as with most things, I fell off of that one. I sometimes get a real strong urge to play it and I'll re-sub here and there for maybe a month or two at a time, but I haven't done that now for since September 2019 (according to my email).

Overwatch died off real fast for my friends and I ages ago. Couldn't care less about Overwatch 2.

Was excited for Diablo IV. I mostly had fun with Diablo III. Didn't bother with the recent Diablo II release because fuck them.

Sell the Tony Hawk franchise to a studio that would actually make something of it (besides just a remake), then they can go under overnight for all I care.

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Banned
Only game I ever truly cared about from them was Overwatch and the let it die for Overwatch 2 nonsense.

So I am pretty indifferent.

Edit: Oh we talking Activision too. Well it's not like they will bring Guitar Hero back. Vicarious was put into Blizzard instead of making new Tony Hawk remakes, Cod is stale as fuck and I had my Crash fix, so yeah, still indifferent.

Last edited:
If it were just the games in the OP, I'd be perfectly fine with them being gone.

However there's one game still dear to my heart, from way back - Rock'n'Roll Racing.
I would not want to lose that, even if it meant StarCraft going away and ceding its place in RTS history to Total Annihilation.

HTK

Banned
Been playing CoD since early 2000's and now they have the best BR, that alone for me is worth it. Not to mention StarCraft and Diablo, I grew up with these games. I feel like this thread is just let's hate on Activision/Blizzard, I understand they have a lot of issues but they have produced some amazing stuff the last 20 years and nobody can deny that.

S0ULZB0URNE

Fucking them taking games off of Steam! Fuck Battle Net! Fuck COD using a 1998 Engine!
Fuck wasting High Moon Studios/Transformers! Fuck all of there franchises except the former HMS/Transformers and Sekiro,Starcraft.

Fuck them!

The last games I enjoyed from them was CoD 4 [2007] and Star Craft 2 [2010] so in a sense both of these stopped existing over 10 years ago.

I care about Diablo, StarCraft, Warcraft, and I enjoyed the Crash games. Unfortunately, I'm not sure Activision cares enough to make a good StarCraft or Warcraft again. Them disappearing from the industry would be fine, their IPs would probably love on anyway

BigBooper

They've got a huge catalog of old IP that I'd definitely miss so yes I'dmiss them. If you mean only their upcoming games disappeared, no I haven't been into their stuff for a while.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
THPS is gaming history and the remake was fantastic.

so yes, I would miss them.
We are talking about going forward not counting the past, cuz hell Call of Duty alone added so much to the gaming industry.

Literally the only Activision Blizzard game ive played in forever is the THPS 1+2 remake.
Without THPS Im actually kinda shocked I dont give a fuck about Activison Blizzard.

And just so you can feel my pain and hate Activision Blizzard more.....Vicarious Visions the developers of THPS 1+2.....well, lets just say they wont be make anymore of those games.

Activision Blizzard can fuck right off, I sleep like a baby if they disappear tomorrow.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Big downer for me. COD and Diablo are great. Lots of imitators, but none beat them. Funny too since these games arent the best looking, best sounding and the storylines are either cookie cutter (COD) or non-existent (Diablo). But it goes to show if you got smooth gameplay thats fun, you dont need the best tech.

The rest of the franchises I dont care.

Shubh_C63

Personally, don't care much. Warcraft/Starcraft is dead. Diablo is the only one.

For gaming industry though : Cod, Overwatch are too huge and aren't easily replaceable.

nkarafo

Well, lets see:

Starcraft 1 > Starcraft 2

Diablo 2 > Diablo 3

WoW Vanilla > WoW + expansions

Nah, i stopped caring about them and their games a long time ago.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
The thing is, you should already miss them if you ever loved them when they were at their apex. They have already been dead for quite some time. The denial just runs long and strong.

It's like saying anything today by EA still represents Maxis. Not a fat chance.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Yes i like some of their game

Diablo

Crash

Spyro

Call of Duty ( not every cod game)

Guitar Hero

StarCraft

Im here waiting for Diablo 4

Last edited:

Elysium712

Neo Member
For me, no. There are multiple replacements for some of Blizzard IPs, if they did croak I wouldn't be bothered, personally.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Only good thing they’ve done since Modern Warfare 1&2 is the Crash trilogy, Crash 4, Spyro trilogy and Tony Hawks remaster. And then they put the Toys for Bob and Vicarious Visions devs, the only good devs under their umbrella, on CoD/Blizzard properties.

I’ve played Overwatch for a decent amount of time, it’s just unbalanced and unfun.

Acti are just muppets.

Last edited:

RafterXL

There are a couple franchises I still care about. The problem is, I don't trust current Blizzard with anything, so them going away is probably superior to whatever they finally manage to shit out. Basically, good riddance. Besides, someone else would swoop in and buy the few IPs worth saving.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
I still hope Blizzard will go bankrupt. So they can sell Warcraft and World of Warcraft to a company that isn't complete shit.

They somehow managed to ruin Classic Wow, one of the best games of all time. All they had to do was re release it and take care of it, but within months it was swarmed by bots. They never took care of it. Despite Blizzard being absolute trash, Classic was still a huge hit in 2019. Then this year they release a new "season" of Classic Wow and managed to completely ruin it with bizarre nonsensical changes to the original game AND they still let bots go rampant. In addition to that, they went woke and removed "offensive" emotes, jokes, paintings and names.

Just a horrible, horrible company. Please go up in flames.

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Crash, Spyro and Tony Hawk is the reason I would say yes. I guess Starcraft, Warcraft and Diablo are nice too, but I was never into those. Anyway, I am pretty sure that the devs who made those games would find a place even without Activision and the IP's would be just sold off THQ-style.

Last edited by a moderator:

420bits

No, let the company die, they are living on old merits.

Blizzard got some amazing franchises but they don't know what to do with them, they can't pull it off. This titan of a house needs to die, not because of the lawsuits and what some people has done, but because they don't make great games anymore.
They lost touch and there is no solution on the horizon for Blizz to fix it.

Other studios needs to see that the gigantic house of Blizzard has fallen so they don't make the same mistakes.

Top Bottom