• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Activision Blizzard were to suddenly disappear from the gaming industry and all their franchises, would you miss them?

If Activision Blizzard were to suddenly disappear from the gaming industry and all their franchises,

• Yes, their games and franchises are integral to the gaming industry.

Votes: 94 29.4%
  • No, let the company die, none of their franchises are valuable to me anymore.

Votes: 123 38.4%
  • Indifferent, I don't care what happens to them either way.

Votes: 103 32.2%

• Total voters

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Diablo and StarCraft are in my top 10 franchises. Diablo 4 is in my top 3 most wanted games with Elden Ring and FF16.

So for me I want them to have a comeback story but to be real the OGs of Blizz are already long gone. So for me D4 is a make or break to see if what Blizz is now is even worth paying attention to anymore. Diablo 2R reassured me that they can still put out a banger.

Vaelka

No, in fact I deleted my account and threw all my physical games from them away ( Collectors Editions included, had almost all of them ).

It's not only because of the controversy but it was the last straw, I just don't want to support game devs who behave the way they do online and I also don't like their games anymore.
I have a lot of games to pick from nowadays, I see no reason to support devs and studios like that.

One could say that only the games should matter but it has gone so far that I disagree.
If I see game devs act like fucking morons online I don't feel like supporting them.
I don't like knowing that my money goes into paying their salary and I think gaming and entertainment in general would be better if people practiced that attitude too.
So tired of this constant political drama and complete assholes in the industry they need to be rooted out too.

For me to support Blizzard again VERY drastic measures would need to happen and I don't see it happening.
Solving the harassment issue at the office is not enough at this point.

Last edited:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Diablo and StarCraft are in my top 10 franchises. Diablo 4 is in my top 3 most wanted games with Elden Ring and FF16.

So for me I want them to have a comeback story but to be real the OGs of Blizz are already long gone. So for me D4 is a make or break to see if what Blizz is now is even worth paying attention to anymore. Diablo 2R reassured me that they can still put out a banger.

Activision going up in flames and then the IPs being sold to the new companies the OGs set up recently would be great.

teezzy

Banned
I’d want Spyro and Crash saved, hopefully back with Sony, but outside of that I don’t value any of their IPs and never have.

Microsoft buying Spyro and Crash would be hilarious though.

Hilarious until I realize they're thrown in the dungeon alongside Blinx, Conker, and Banjo... 😭😭

wvnative

No, I only care about Crash and Spyro and I know it's not a super popular opinion, but I'm displeased with how they've been handled aside from Crash 4. I like the infinity ward COD campaigns but ehh, if Activision did die someone would pick up these assets I doubt COD would end.

But what little value they have is nothing compared to the harm they've helped inflict on the industry, (I know it's not solely on them but they are a significant contributer to the current state of the industry) I feel them dying would only be a victory for gamers.

Note: That isn't to say I want thousands of people out of jobs, that part would SUCK, I'm just speaking purely from my own consumer perspective.

yurinka

I think that since they are the most successful western publisher they won't dissapear. If something, if there's some kind of disaster and totally tanks in the future (something I think won't happen) and are proving guilty of recent accusations (plus if you are more on top), they would simply replace the higher-ups and/or would sell it to someone else.

It's a historical publisher that has been top publisher since back to the Atari 2600 and arcade days, with tons of top game IPs attached to it. So they will keep the brand alive.

I’d want Spyro and Crash saved, hopefully back with Sony, but outside of that I don’t value any of their IPs and never have.

Same. Spyro and Crash are the only games that interest me. I get they are one of the biggest publishers but I've never been much into their games. Looking at their IP list, I was surprised how little interest I had in their games. Personally, if they just vanished I wouldn't see the difference but I'm in the minority. I know there are many gamers out there who are huge fans of some of their games.

Naw, Blizzard is an organisation of thousands of people. Punishing everyone for the mistakes of a small percentage is something a nazi would do.
The question was not about punishing. The question asked was, would you miss them? Lots of gamers here wouldn't. Obviously no one wants to see people lose their jobs. But when it comes to missing the actual company or their products, I'm in the Not Really camp.

carlosrox

Banned
No shit it would be a blow.

Diablo, Starcraft, and COD are definitely of interest to me.

lol at all the votes for No.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Some of you guys need some soul searching or some thing.... let them die means making all those workers who have nothing to do with the actions of the other scumbags lose their jobs. I mean is not like other companies are going to hire them all. Holy shit imagine the company you work for closes because the scumbag leader is a predator. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be happy.

With that said I only play WoW.
This is such a stupid thing to say. Bad companies are supposed to die. That’s a feature, not a bug. Just imagine how much worse off we would all be if no company were ever allowed to go out of business. They were just kept on life support while making stuff that people don’t want anymore.

Anyway we are in the midst of a massive labor shortage. Anybody who’s worth a damn will easily find another job, hopefully one where their talents are put to better use. Of course I feel bad for anybody who experiences the stress of losing their job but they won’t be unemployed for long.

Also the talented people will definitely get a severance package and/or retention bonus. Just an anecdote, I work for a large company who shuttered one of their business lines. I got ~5 months’ pay as retention bonus for sticking around for half a year while things wound down. I would’ve got several weeks severance as well, but I was able to transfer to a position in a different business line (that also included a kickass pay raise). Literally the best thing that ever happened to me in my career, as stressful as it was at the time.

Hinedorf

Banned
If you look at their game list, they haven't been giving the video game industry anything new for nearly 20 years after buying highly successful companies and trying to repeat their initial business model.

They're not doing the remake/remaster (whatever you call it) because it's a good business plan, they just literally have no other plan or ideas for innovative IP.

They remade a fucking MMO THAT'S STILL IN PRODUCTION......if video games truly are an art form then they need to burnt to the ground.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I'm indifferent. I played a few COD games last generation but didn't really need to play any of them and this also applies to Battlefield. The only Activision Blizzard game im interested in is Diablo IV. Other than that, they have nothing for me so they can stay or go. I don't care which.

dorkimoe

How are they needed? To quarantine the COD target audience?

I don't think they need to go away, but I go years without touching their products.
Because they dont release the good games every year. Diablo is needed. I could give a shit less about COD, but upon further searching, I think Diablo is the ONLY activision game that matters anymore (and candy crush)

Last edited:

IC3M@N FX

Neo Member
Captain James T. Kirk:
They're animals.

Captain Spock:
Jim, there is an historic opportunity here.

Captain James T. Kirk:
Don't believe them. Don't trust them.

Captain Spock:
They're dying.

Captain James T. Kirk:
Let them die!

MrMephistoX

Let’s be honest if Activision Blizzard were ever in dire straights Microsoft would buy them or at least the IP.

For me it’s really only Blizzard I’d miss (Overwatch, Warcraft, Diablo, StarCraft) and Call of Duty Warzone: I could give a shit about the mainline games since that scratches the right itch.

I voted no but I would rather them sell off there ips than them disappear altogether.

This generation I ve owned destiny, crash and spyro remasters, seikro and crash 4. Not the best record but they did better than ea I only bought titanfall 2 and fallen order and ubisoft I just bought far cry 4🤣.

My opinions on each are

Destiny bored me to tears I returned ASAP zero interest in the Franchise. Although bungie seem to doing alright without them so far.

Crash and spyro remake were both enjoyable nostalgia trips but considering their remakes its not exactly something you can repeat.

Seikro was a really good game but it was my least enjoyable souls game( but that's a really elite club ) I would probably buy a sequel Although I would rather FROM work on something else. BUT does anyone for a second truly believe FROM needed activision for this? Lol give me a break backing FROM in 2019 is about as safe a bet you can make if activision didn't fund them someone else would have.

Finally Crash 4 was a really good game it's a shame we're not getting another.

So that's one in house new game I enjoyed from them over a generation I think I will manage.

However selling there ips would definitely be the best outcome I always remember what insomniac have done spiderman after spidery broke free from activision clutches.

Seriously activision can get fucked not even the shareholders are happy at the moment!

Mess

A far as I'm concerned and outside of Sekiro that Activision merely published in the west, SC2 is the last good game by actiblizz.

They have some good IP but lost their craft. I couldn't care less about the drama there but I'd rather their IP being owned by someone who will put actual talents at work.

SJRB

Gold Member
Let's be honest here, when was the last time Acti/Blizard have released something legit amazing? COD Modern Warfare? Starcraft 2? That shit was 12 years ago.

If Activision didn't have COD they'd be in the dirt for years.

AmuroChan

If they and all their IPs suddenly disappeared, are you implying that all our memories of playing their past games would also disappear? If so, then yes I would miss them. Games like Starcraft, Diablo, and Crash were integral in shaping my early gaming life.

Bogeyman

Banned
3 of my favorite "recent" games were wow classic, diablo 2 resurrected, and the thps remaster.

So yea, I'd certainly miss them, in a way.

And yet, all of those are remasters/re-releases. I don't give a damn about any of their modern games, they don't appeal to me at all. There's still a part in me though that hopes they'll one day get their mojo back and make new games that live up to those strengths.

Never cared for Blizzard nor COD much.
The only things that I may care a bit about is Crash and Tony Hawk.

So, probably not... just let Tencent buy them. lol j/k

I loved everything they did prior to Diablo 3. Still do, in fact.

I have no problem with Blizzard as it exists now dying, but I'd want those old games to stay around. Not because I think they're "integral to the gaming industry", but because I like them and enjoy playing them to this day.

WitchHunter

Banned
Blizzard, yes. Activision, no. Mergers and nacquisitions are not always a good thing.
Look what happened to Blizzard side ribs... Core peepz already left the ship, and most of them couldn't evolve with current times, they have nothing to prove. Same shit all over again. Hope I'm wrong.

Moonjt9

The Blizzard of today is not the Blizzard of the past. They cannot make the same quality of games they used to. Their best game in 10 years is Diablo 2 Resurrected. I rest my case.

Woffls

Only CoD and Guitar Hero. Clone Hero has supplanted GH so just need that Halo BR and I’m good with Activision disappearing.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Other than maybe Diablo (which I haven't played since III was originally released) I don't really give a crap, no.

Haggard

Banned
Diablo 3 was the last game from that company that was remotely interesting to me.
While the industry as a whole would lose something, I think, to me personally it wouldn`t make a difference if they dissolved tomorrow.

Fools idol

Banned
Definitely however they could be sold off to other studios for safe keeping.

Activision is a horrible shitty place to work and has been for years, the issues are deep rooted and well documented. Not to mention how they literally chewed off their own legs with just about every franchise they had good rep on Blizzard side to cram capitalism into the games...

In all honesty D2 remaster was a very good step in the right direction but I don't think they will get my money for D4 as it has very very big boots to fill and I don't think they have what it takes any more. All the good people left Blizzard and moved on to better things.

Call of duty is just a cess pit at this point, and I could give two shits about the other franchises honestly.

acidagfc

Five years ago I would have said "Yeah, Hearthsone is cool, I want it to stay afloat".
Ten years ago I would have said "World of Warcraft is amazing, WTF are you talking about?"
Unfortunately, that company is long gone and I do not care about any of the current Blizzard games. I have no hopes for them to ever produce another amazing game. Maybe some more of the same, but nothing groundbreaking.

I also never cared about any Activision games, except maybe THPS series, which is now dead as well.

So yeah, I don't wish them to disappear, but I would not care much if they did.

Vanguard aim assist is so strong it literally snaps to people on screen.
No skill involved. A fucking toddler can go on a 20 kill streak.
Fuck em and Call of Duty developers.
Fuck em all.

Top Bottom