• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If charging as much as possible is corporate greed, then wanting to spend as little as possible is consumer greed

theclaw135

Banned
Occasionally. We've seen that treating games like rubbish actually isn't a successful strategy. Companies like Sega or Atari have severely devalued much of their libraries, being too aggressive with bargain bin collections of dozens of titles.

Roni

Gold Member
Cope and seethe because I'm correct. Both sides will always seek to maximize their outcome. I will always seek to pay the lowest price possible, producers of goods will always charge the max they can. Depending on market conditions that price might be closer to the consumer's prefered price (which is $0) or the producer's preferred price. Since gaming is a very competitive market, the prices have generally been deflationary and haven't even kept up with inflation. The GPU market on the other hand is a good example of what an uncompetitive market can look like.

"Greed" doesn't explain anything because we are all outcome maximizing all the time, therefore it cannot explain changes in price.
No, no, no, no, no. My preferred price is the negative price: I get paid to use your product.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
If you want to be pedantic and ignore the context, then sure, they're the "same". Unfortunately for your point, everyone else understands the context while you choose to ignore it for some kind of "both sides" argument.

Both sides will always seek to maximize their outcome.

And the way in which they do this can be described with a variety of adjectives. "Pricing competitively" and "price gouging" are both ways to maximize revenue, but the contexts among both actions are very different, and "greed" can more accurately describe one than the other.

"Greed" doesn't explain anything because we are all outcome maximizing all the time, therefore it cannot explain changes in price.

It explains the "why" and "how" of the changes in price. If a company engages in anti-consumer practices like price gouging, or blocking out competitors, or other monopolistic actions in order to artificially inflate prices, that's "greedy". If a consumer is merely just existing and looking to buy a product in what should be a free and fair market, that's not "greedy", it's "normal". However, if a consumer decides to steal content via piracy or physical theft, then that would be a more equivalent characterization of "consumer greed". Pretending that anti-consumer practices and normal shopping habits are two sides of the same coin is a flawed comparison.

The Stig

Hey errrrr ya got any of that gold?
Yall-Got-Any-More-Of-That.jpg

Last edited:
breaking news GIF by ATTN:

This just in. We've just learned that companies want to maximize profits and consumers want to maximize value. We're now also hearing rumors that humans breathe air to live. More at 11.

StereoVsn

Cope and seethe because I'm correct. Both sides will always seek to maximize their outcome. I will always seek to pay the lowest price possible, producers of goods will always charge the max they can. Depending on market conditions that price might be closer to the consumer's prefered price (which is $0) or the producer's preferred price. Since gaming is a very competitive market, the prices have generally been deflationary and haven't even kept up with inflation. The GPU market on the other hand is a good example of what an uncompetitive market can look like.

ftvv07i.jpg

The post writes itself.

And the way in which they do this can be described with a variety of adjectives. "Pricing competitively" and "price gouging" are both ways to maximize revenue, but the contexts among both actions are very different, and "greed" can more accurately describe one than the other.
Can you elaborate on how price gouging in a hypercompetitive market like gaming would be sustainable? If you overprice your product, customers will opt for a different product in a market with an abundant supply of viable products.
It explains the "why" and "how" of the changes in price.
No it doesn't. Greed explains fuck all because everybody's greed is at a max at all time. If two producers produce a game and one prices it at $20 and the other at $25, then the latter isn't greedier. The reason why they're pricing their product higher than their competitor are market considerations and market strategy. Both market actors want to maximize their outcome at the same rate.

If a company engages in anti-consumer practices like price gouging, or blocking out competitors, or other monopolistic actions in order to artificially inflate prices, that's "greedy".

No, that's a bad business decision.

If a consumer is merely just existing and looking to buy a product in what should be a free and fair market, that's not "greedy", it's "normal". However, if a consumer decides to steal content via piracy or physical theft, then that would be a more equivalent characterization of "consumer greed". Pretending that anti-consumer practices and normal shopping habits are two sides of the same coin is a flawed comparison.
This is meaningless Twitter-speak. You're not saying anything.

So what's your proposed theoretical solution for this?

Or are you just making this thread to point out yet another problem with the industry, adding to the already large pile of threads that do that already?

shit-jeff-goldblum.gif

reinking

Gold Member
I was going to say something snarky but I will just disagree. As a consumer my money is outgoing. Of course I will want prices for products I consume to remain in my budget. These large corporations are increasing prices not to maintain profits, but to increase them even more. Plus, their greed leads to things like consolidation and closures. It has a significant impact on the industry as a whole.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Can you elaborate on how price gouging in a hypercompetitive market like gaming would be sustainable? If you overprice your product, customers will opt for a different product in a market with an abundant supply of viable products.

No it doesn't. Greed explains fuck all because everybody's greed is at a max at all time. If two producers produce a game and one prices it at $20 and the other at $25, then the latter isn't greedier. The reason why they're pricing their product higher than their competitor are market considerations and market strategy. Both market actors want to maximize their outcome at the same rate.

No, that's a bad business decision.

This is meaningless Twitter-speak. You're not saying anything.
Props to you for coming back to the thread. I would have just gone back to bed.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I don't personally buy cheap, exploitative shit. I'll spend extra for better quality products made more ethically. Price isn't a primary purchase driver for me.
See Im in the same boat however. Most people think they get the same quality of cables etc from a discount store as they do from big name brands that cost twice as much.. Then they wonder why their house burnt down.

I tend to find brands I know and research and feel safe with than buy. If it cost me 3.00 more than so be it I can sleep at night.

Props to you for coming back to the thread. I would have just gone back to bed.
My position is trivially easy to defend, no need to run from anything. The reality is that the market is producing very good outcomes overall and there's nothing wrong with being greedy on either side of the equation. In fact, greed (which is just outcome maximization) is the reason why companies are developing things like Baldur's Gate 3 or Tears of the Kingdom - there's so much money to be made. Nobody will put in the resources to develop games of this quality if they can't make bank off of it.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I was going to say something snarky but I will just disagree. As a consumer my money is outgoing. Of course I will want prices for products I consume to remain in my budget. These large corporations are increasing prices not to maintain profits, but to increase them even more. Plus, their greed leads to things like consolidation and closures. It has a significant impact on the industry as a whole.
They are charging more because of inflation. Everything they use to make these products including shipping and materials / workers wages etc have gone up. Business have to answer to shareholders who are investing in them. The company needs to maintain a balance as well. Don't forget wages / medical insurance etc all comes at a cost unless you want to send all our manufacturing and jobs overseas.

AngelMuffin

It’s all about value vs price. I’d pay $99 for the next Mario Kart all day long but wouldn’t touch MK1 for the Switch at any price…well, maybe if it was $10 or less.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
People are just as greedy as companies.

For any person saying companies are cheap unloyal businesses. That’s fine. But whose the side that quits for other companies the second they get an extra $5000? People. Even going to competing companies too. There’s a lot more people changing jobs than people getting fired.

As for gaming cheapies, don’t forget the pirates for any thing digital…. I wasn’t going to buy it anyway so it makes no difference.

Lol.

That’s like me stealing all those awesome rotisserie chickens from Costco because end of the day they are going to throw it out anyway. Or anyone hopping into a movie theatre or yoga class for free because adding another person doesn’t cost the studio any more money to have him sitting at the back of the room.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Sure but a company is one entity and has significant control over pricing for everyone. A single consumer only has control over their own purchases giving them zero power over pricing.

reinking

Gold Member
They are charging more because of inflation. Everything they use to make these products including shipping and materials / workers wages etc have gone up. Business have to answer to shareholders who are investing in them. The company needs to maintain a balance as well. Don't forget wages / medical insurance etc all comes at a cost unless you want to send all our manufacturing and jobs overseas.
Really? Thanks for educating me. I had no idea. I guess consolidation is also a tool for maintaining balance? Greed isn’t just about the price placed on a product. Actions play a significant role in determining greed.

Sure but a company is one entity and has significant control over pricing for everyone.
They don't really. Inflation-adjusted prices have gone nowhere but down. Gaming companies are not even in the position to charge prices that keep pace with inflation, because the market is so fierce. If you raise the price, you are undercut by an abundance of very strong competition. The GPU market is an opposite example of that. You got a monopoly and no viable alternatives, which leads to monopoly pricing.

This is correct, that’s why the price is ultimately set by the market which responds to both the supplier’s desire to charge as much as he can, and the consumer’s desire to pay as little as he can, finding a balance between the 2.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
The Consumers side for the past 40 or so years has been an issue with entitlement.

Why can’t I drive a nice car?
Why can’t I have a nice tv?
Why can’t I live in a mansion?

And it all started after the dawn of TV and Movies which brought about mass advertising.

People are so consumed with what they don’t have that they do not realize that they can shape the market by not buying what they don’t need.

Only reason games are so expensive is because of gamer expectations and buying habits.

Last edited:

proandrad

The Consumers side for the past 40 or so years has been an issue with entitlement.

Why can’t I drive a nice car?
Why can’t I have a nice tv?
Why can’t I live in a mansion?

And it all started after the dawn of TV and Movies which brought about mass advertising.

People are so consumed with what they don’t have that they do not realize that they can shape the market by not buying what they don’t need.

Only reason games are so expensive is because of gamer expectations and buying habits.
These entitlements have morphed into…

Why can’t I afford an education?
Why can’t I afford a child?
Why can’t I afford a home?

Top Bottom