• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If exclusives are counter to what gaming is about; is the PS5 getting future Bethesda games (after Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo)? Poll inside!

Will future Bethesda games (after Deathloop and Ghostwire) release on the Playstation platform?

• Total voters

Leyasu

Banned
As long as they are making consoles, they are rivals. As long as they are pulling content from PS, they show that they consider themselves as rivals.
Pulling content is one way of looking at it. Making their platform more appealing and worth investing in another.

Timed exclusive is not sustainable

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Poll is missing the "don't care about Bethesda product" option.

Frankly Xbox is welcome to their stuff as far as I'm concerned, I'm mainly looking forward to seeing how the fanboys react to the way their titles are monetized with mtx. Cos there's no way that's going away just because its on GamePass.

ethomaz

Banned
Exclusives are what the gaming is about.
That was always the case and it will be the case in the future.

MS purchasing studios is really great because it add value to their platform but with PC too that is not that big impact anymore... it could do wonder for their Gamepass innitiative.

That doesn't affect PlayStation brand.... it won't have some game but they will have others and exclusives will be still the key item for the PS5 success.

Leyasu

Banned

MS purchasing studios is really great because it add value to their platform but with PC too that is not that big impact anymore... it could do wonder for their Gamepass innitiative.

That doesn't affect PlayStation brand.... it won't have some game but they will have others and exclusives will be still the key item for the PS5 success.
Their platform is on pc to. You warriors need to get with the times.

Gamepass is their platform. Adding content is their goal. They are not looking at Sony.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Pulling content is one way of looking at it. Making their platform more appealing and worth investing in another.

Timed exclusive is not sustainable

What are you talking about? Its way more sustainable than buying studios and publishers. Its a one-off single sunken-cost arrangement that can be quickly analysed after the fact and future plans adjusted accordingly.

Buying studios/publishers is a bigger initial buy-in, then the full cost of development and maintaining these subsidiaries payroll and infrastructure costs going forward. Its a commitment that makes further spending inevitable and the financial outcome uncertain.

Kokoloko85

I dunno how they are gonna fund all these studios with gamepass. So I think they will pick and select what to release and where like MInecraft

RafterXL

No, they are absolutely not getting these games, nor should they. The gymnastics people are doing to try and hold Microsoft to some different standard is hilarious.

The day Sony unlocks all their first party titles is the day Microsoft should do the same, until then buy a PC to play Microsoft's *new* first party titles...or don't.

Bog

Junior Ace
I think he’s a gigantic liar, but also a business man. No way they’re turning down the PS5 sales on Bethesda’s biggest titles.

timmyp53

Pete hines stating they retain publishing rights just makes it seem obvious to me that titles will hit playstation. Regardless MS will profit . What do shareholders care If the money is coming from Sony's consumers. Its all funneling back to MS.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I think it's safe to expect they'll be getting some. I wouldn't be surprised if MS gets some exclusive titles out of the acquisition. Or deals where a game launches with exclusive content, is available earlier, etc.

I mean wouldn't it make more sense to look at it as MS bringing games to PS5 to support MS.
iu

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
You don’t spend 7 billion dollars to put your titles on competitive platforms. People that expect Bethesda games to appear on PS5 are in denial. Just like you won’t be seeing Spidey on Xbox. Tit for tat.

DJT123

Nope. But I don't think PS is initially a good fit for PC-centric games with so many moving pieces like TES or Fallout anyway. Maybe Service based or MP titles will go multiplatform.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
people are tripping if they don't think the next Fallout/Skyrim won't be pimped out to every device that can play them

hardware isn't really where the money is made. it's in software. in fact i think they lose money on hardware. so all this wishing and hoping for Xbox exclusives is console war silliness. there is no financial reason for them to gate off potential sales.

they want to make the most money, those games will be multiplat.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
What are you talking about? Its way more sustainable than buying studios and publishers. Its a one-off single sunken-cost arrangement that can be quickly analysed after the fact and future plans adjusted accordingly.

Buying studios/publishers is a bigger initial buy-in, then the full cost of development and maintaining these subsidiaries payroll and infrastructure costs going forward. Its a commitment that makes further spending inevitable and the financial outcome uncertain.
You are not looking at it from Microsoft’s perspective or in terms of their plans. They want/need a constant stream of content. They are investing now for the future.

You need to realize that they are not talking about a return in the 3 - 5 years either. This is a long game, with an eye on a compelling service where the content is theirs, and the money made is too.

wolffy71

Banned
Technically true but the same could be said for the numbers put out there for mobile or for Steam. The point being is that the pool is large, fat and very profitable. And the content that typically comes out of Bethesda is tailor made for that traditional gamer.

Half truth. That's a reason, but not the only reason. Publishers will still take chances by making next-gen only games (Demon Souls et al), without a single oficial PS5 sold. Sales projections are a thing. Which is also why Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo are coming to PS5 (exclusively too for a time I might add).

For a Playstation or Nintendo only console owner that's simply not true. Not even for a Stadia only user (however rare they may be). You're trying to somehow associate phone ownership (assuming universal attach rate for the specific users discussed, within Android as its OS (and not on Apple), good quality phone, proper internet data plan etc) with some technical wiggle room that clears Phil out of his very concise and clear statement. It's a nice try but way too many caveats to make it work. Not to mention the fact that traditional gaming on phones sucks ass. So much for that choice.

He can't force me to do anything but it's obvious - Nintendo, PlayStation, Stadia. I don't think it would be necessary but I guess some people do need the heads up. It's quite obvious what platforms Phil was discussing when talking about exclusivity and exclusive games as head of Xbox. It wasn't Android.
Nice job of avoiding the question.

wolffy71

Banned
How much did they spend on Ninja Theory? The more you spend, the bigger the pressure to recoup your investment.

I can't help but feel like MS overpaid when they put down 7.5 billion for Zenimax. Fallout 4 and Fallout 76 were a disappointment and a disaster respectively, and most of the other games they published sold below expectations despite good reviews, and that's with them being available on PS4, a console with twice the install base of Xbox. If they keep new games exclusive they will not be cheaper to develop, but their audience and number of potential buyers will be much smaller due to Sony being out of the picture. I can see them releasing games like TES on PS5 eventually (although probably with a significant delay) just to make their money back.
Fallout 4 made over *corrected*, not entirely sure. Even something like Fallout shelter makes 200k$ per month. With numbers like that its nit gonna be cheap to buy.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

I think the difference here is Phil was referring to arbitrarily timed exclusive much like his deal for tomb raider or Sony's FF16 deal. Exclusives made from studios you purchased are fundamentally different. In this case you aren't paying for exclusive access to a product, but actually paying the devs salaries, benefits, HR, health insurance, retirement.

I hope all games get released on all platforms, I would be ok just getting it day 1 with gamepass. I wouldn't knock MS though for keeping games from their studios exclusive.

Last edited:

M16

people are tripping if they don't think the next Fallout/Skyrim won't be pimped out to every device that can play them

hardware isn't really where the money is made. it's in software. in fact i think they lose money on hardware. so all this wishing and hoping for Xbox exclusives is console war silliness. there is no financial reason for them to gate off potential sales.

they want to make the most money, those games will be multiplat.
that was the old model. the new model is gamepass. why would you just want a gimped one off payment(sony,retailers get a big cut of it), when you can have a 100% profit recurring payment that pays more in the long run.
this shit is not coming to playstation.

Last edited:
You expect Xbox to continue with hardware?
They sold over 50m consoles. That's nothing to run away from, regardless of their competition. And with their games selling millions on Steam, the increased profits have been more than enough to show the CEO of the biggest company in the world that gaming is worth it enough to drop 7.5b. This isn't hard to see.

If Xbox was truly struggling as some people think, they wouldn't drop 7.5b on Zenimax. They'd Zune the Xbox hardware and go 3rd party. They haven't done this, if anything they gone the opposite direction. MS may not be your favorite company but you have to realize they're not absolutely stupid. If they're investing more into Xbox than they see returns as being even more. And after a generation like Xbox One, for them to see MORE return, the initial return of this generation is more than people think.

Fallout 4 made over 2 billion dollars and still going. Even something like Fallout shelter makes 200k$ per month. With numbers like that its nit gonna be cheap to buy.
Where are those numbers from? Fallout 4 seems to have sold around 13.5 million copies across all platforms, suggesting that each buyer paid ~$150 on average. Even if you include all the money from DLC and the Creation Club, that still seems extremely high, especially considering how quickly the game dropped in price.

wolffy71

Banned
Where are those numbers from? Fallout 4 seems to have sold around 13.5 million copies across all platforms, suggesting that each buyer paid ~$150 on average. Even if you include all the money from DLC and the Creation Club, that still seems extremely high, especially considering how quickly the game dropped in price.
You might be right i looked it up but didnt pay much attention to the source. Seems off to me. Although fortune mag claims they made over 750$ mil on day one alone so either way its numbers like those that tell u Bethesda was gonna be expensive

Xenon

Sony probably sent those feelers out to buy exclusives a while ago. Which is why they have a number of exclusives ready to go for this gen. This could be Microsoft's reaction to a competitor trying to buy them out of the market. To me this explains why Microsoft CEOs even getting involved in the conversation. Basically like, okay so you're trying to buy exclusives from third parties to hedge us out of the market. We will just buy the third parties.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I dont see what sense it makes to make them exclusive. Much smaller install base on Xbox than playstation.

Plus they'd get paid twice. 70 bucks on playstation plus the game pass subs.

MS is now a third party publisher who just happens to have a console.

Xbox still has no exclusives :messenger_smirking: :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Last edited:
I doubt it tbh. They didn't pay 7.5B to keep the status quo. Sony crushed them with exclusives. Why give their fans even more incentive to skip your own hardware?

Besides, Sony has a great 2021 lineup. We know NOTHING about MS lineup. Starfield could be a 2021 title. You really believe they are gonna release on PS5 when they themselves barely have anything confirmed?

I doubt it tbh. They didn't pay 7.5B to keep the status quo. Sony crushed them with exclusives. Why give their fans even more incentive to skip your own hardware?

Besides, Sony has a great 2021 lineup. We know NOTHING about MS lineup. Starfield could be a 2021 title. You really believe they are gonna release on PS5 when they themselves barely have anything confirmed?

Agree. But it's nice to see the 180's and all the hoop jumps regarding Phil's past statements. Even more so whether people genuinely believe that Phil will stick to his words and that there is some depth below the surface. Some have even gone as far as to claim his words meant something else entirely in light of recent events. It's good to see varied opinions on the matter either way.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Agree. But it's nice to see the 180's and all the hoop jumps regarding Phil's past statements. Even more so whether people genuinily believe that Phil will stick to his words and that there is some depth below the surfarce. Some have even gone as far as to claim his words meant something else enterily in light of recent events. It's good to see varied opinions on the matter either way.
Phil says what you want to hear even if it a big lie.

That is how he does his job.

Stuart360

Fallout 4 sold 12mil copies in its first 24 hours -https://fortune.com/2015/11/16/fallout4-is-quiet-best-seller/
And has sold 5-10mil copies just on Steam.

That 13mil number when you Google it is wrong. Bethesda said that Skyrim has hit 35mil copies sold, and Fallout 4 over 20mil copies, when Skyrim launched on the Switch.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
My favourite is when @Bryank75 calls Microsoft "Spiteful" for their recent actions.

Imagine being a grown as man and thinking this aquisition was spiteful haha.

I hope future games go to PS5 same day. In saying that I can understand if Microsoft don't want to.
But it makes total sense.

Sony bought Insomniac half a year ago for $229 million (a dev that focuses 99% of their time on Sony games anyway). And MS decided to spend $7.5 billion on Zenimax.

They are totally related.

lol

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Bethesda games will come to PS5. They'll do the Sony/PC route of maybe releasing Starfield and ES6 on PS5 4 years after release at full price.

Top Bottom