• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Nintendo got rid of Toad for good, would you be upset?

jdstorm

Banned
How can you not like James Tiberious Toad?

Even regular toad is fine. Besides Princess Preach's last name is Toadstool so if you got rid of them. No peach

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
No, I always choose Toad cause he gets all the bitches.

That's true in that they need to make bigger visual changes. Still makes clear that the picture he references is pretty much a lie.

I take it as an exaggeration to make a joke, not a lie, but whatever.

daTRUballin

Yes I would be upset. Come on. Are you fucking serious? It's Toad. He's an iconic character and was in many games that were a part of my childhood.

Nanashrew

Banned
"Toads looking like these indistinguishable people is kind of the joke."

Oh man, just like in DMC when Dante says the white wig that falls on his head is stupid.

"It's kind of a shame that a lot of people only look at Color Splash with the "Paper Mario should be an RPG like The Thousand-Year Door" mindset, when it's actually doing a pretty good job at accomplishing what it sets out to do."

Considering that Nintendo basically told me and other people of said mindset to go fuck ourselves and buy the Mario & Luigi RPG games, I think the backlash is justified.

Source: http://kotaku.com/the-paper-mario-game-not-everyone-wants-1783142383

This is like Atlus saying "Persona is now a visual novel series because we already have an RPG series called SMT. Now you get to just go to school and that's it, no dungeons or engaging plot for you, also we replaced all of the characters with Jack Frost clones that joke about how they all say Hee Ho the same way."

Bingo. Using the same website I found the models for TTYD and Super Paper Mario. There are far more creative designs in the older games.

TTYD: https://www.spriters-resource.com/gamecube/pmttyd/

Super Paper Mario: https://www.spriters-resource.com/wii/superpapermario/

Paper Mario seems to be going to adventure style where exploration and things like boss battles act more like confrontations like old Lucas Arts games. Some kinks to work out but from Color Splash, that is definitely the route they seem to be wanting to take.

That ain't bad, unless you dislike adventure games.

Kthulhu

Paper Mario seems to be going to adventure style where exploration and things like boss battles act more like confrontations like old Lucas Arts games. Some kinks to work out but from Color Splash, that is definitely the route they seem to be wanting to take.

That ain't bad, unless you dislike adventure games.

I don't hate adventure games. I hate that Nintendo decided to cannibalize an existing franchise to make an adventure game with shitty combat and boring designs, and proceeded to tell me to go buy their other RPG game that I don't care about, instead of coming up with a new franchise or making these games spin offs instead of mainline games.

I would rather Nintendo just stop making Paper Mario games altogether.

I don't hate adventure games. I hate that Nintendo decided to cannibalize an existing franchise to make an adventure game with shitty combat and boring designs, and proceeded to tell me to go buy their other RPG game that I don't care about, instead of coming up with a new franchise or making these games spin offs instead of mainline games.

I would rather Nintendo just stop making Paper Mario games altogether.

So you're being immature. Look, there's a better way to phrase your disappointment than say "I wish they'd stop making something I personally dislike".

Kthulhu

So you're being immature. Look, there's a better way to phrase your disappointment than say "I wish they'd stop making something I personally dislike".

Every game in the Paper Mario franchise like Color Splash and Sticker Star will just further my resentment, and they clearly don't seem like they are going to cancel it anytime soon. So the only other way I won't feel angry about it is if they stop making the games.

I know Nintendo isn't exactly famous for their good PR, but this year has been especially bad.

After seeing their twitter today, I had already asked myself this question.

The answer was, nah.

I agree with the sentiment that there needs to be more variation in Toad designs. The thing that really annoys me is that they're so cookie cutter in most of the games they appear in.

MikeyB

Nintendo could get rid of all of their characters and retain the gameplay mechanics and I would be fine with it.

Every game in the Paper Mario franchise like Color Splash and Sticker Star will just further my resentment, and they clearly don't seem like they are going to cancel it anytime soon. So the only other way I won't feel angry about it is if they stop making the games.

I know Nintendo isn't exactly famous for their good PR, but this year has been especially bad.

hope they keep pumping them out even harder just to piss you off

All the mentions of Captain Toad but no love for the OG Toadsworth.

Anyway, despite the low points I'd rather see Toad/the Toads stick around. They provide a lot of identity for the series, and...well, it's called the Mushroom Kingdom.

God no, I'd be happy. Toad is like the most 'nothing' character ever, he is just there to annoy.

Thanks a bunch Op for putting this joyous idea into my brain, because I know Nintendo will never do it :(

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Toad's awesome. A world where Captain Toad doesn't exist is a world of despair

marmoka

Banned
I don't care about Toads, I wouldn't miss them.

I rather see the Little Mushroom People of Nova Scotia

LITTLE-MUSHROOM-PEOPLE-OF-NOVA-SCOTIA.gif

That's a sick, twisted OP right there.
Best SMB2 Character
Best 3D World character
Best goofy ass Super Mario Advance Quotes
Best self aware NPC dialogue in the Mario role playing games thanks to the surplus of them in Colour Splash
Captain gosh darn Toad

pcEIDb1.gif

BiggNife

I'd be a little mad. He's had at least two awesome games.

SNES-demo.gif

Wait what is this, this looks cool

Is this a satellaview thing or something?

Also, I dunno, I think i'd be a little bummed because Toads are charming. Captain Toad is a game that just oozes personality and you can't help but root for the little guy.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I'd be angry because Daisy should be killed before Toad.

Daisy and Waluigi aren't really a thing outside the Mario spin off titles so one can easily avoid them for life, whereas with the Toad eh not so much.

Wait what is this, this looks cool

Is this a satellaview thing or something?

Also, I dunno, I think i'd be a little bummed because Toads are charming. Captain Toad is a game that just oozes personality and you can't help but root for the little guy.

It's Wario Wood.

Dryk

Toads really bother me because I can never tell if the ones that look the same are the same individuals between games or not. Fuck Nintendo themselves probably don't even know.

Toad needs to park his ass for a while. Like I didn't believe Dan on the bombcast at first when he said Toad was everywhere in Color Splash, but he wasn't kidding. Overkill for the character.

And on that note, Tingle better be a million miles away from Breath of the Wild.

Palmer27

Yes I would, he's charming and a generally lovely chap. Particularly love Captain Toad of the Toad brigade, he is an inspiration.

Gilby

It's Wario Wood.

It's the only game I feel I'm probably top 10 in the world at, because not that many played it and my sister and I would sit and loop the game for hours and hours...

It's not an especially good game, but a sequel that fixed a few issues could be awesome.

Top Bottom