• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Nintendo got rid of Toad for good, would you be upset?

Kthulhu

Agree, Color Splash is not just good, it's amazing.

And the Toads in it may as well be the best Toads in the whole franchise. God tier script, that game's got.

To bad Nintendo spit in my face, so I'll never end up reading it.

What Nintendo has done to Paper Mario is worse than Metroid in my eyes.

L Thammy

On a scale of 1-10, how sexy is Toad?

sexy_toad_by_obsessio3nkpx.png

why did i google "sexy toad"

He was my favourite Mario character growing up, probably because he was the easiest to draw. I'd be extremely sad if the lil guy and his many relatives stopped appearing in new games.

[edit]

That Toad Toadstool comment image almost killed me, awawawawah!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Yes, I would. My kids ADORE Toad. He has made them Nintendo fans on his own.

rec0ded1

Don't know who this "toad" guy is but as long as they don't touch Todd.

Screw toad it was pretty lame that player 3 and 4 were toads in NSMBWU when they have a ton of other characters they could've used.

I used to dislike Toad myself. But since the Wii generation and onwards, I've gradually turned around. Maybe I just got old, stopped worrying and learned to love the fungal folks.

I thought I would hate the Toads in Paper Mario Color Splash, but I actually find them endearing.

And El Capitan Todd is awesome!

Richie

To each their own, I enjoyed the previous games and am very much enjoying the hell out of Color Splash, it spews personality from every orifice; it's been a long time since I was so entertained so consistently by a game's script, it's seriously worth it for the writing alone. But the graphics are beautiful too, the much maligned card system I don't mind at all. once you get the hang out of it, it's actually fun deciphering which card combinations make you sweep off the enemy in a single go. I very much recommend any Paper Mario fan on the fence to at least rent it and give it a chance on its own merits, because, battle system aside (which I mentioned, can actually be pretty fun on its own), it really captures the Paper Mario spirit perfectly.

That infamous image comparing the aesthetical variety of Toads in previous games doesn't let you know just how darned fun and well written Color Splash's Toads are. I mean it, they're an easy candidate for the best Toads have been on Mario.

Ehhh, it depends.

Generic toads are annoying and can die in a fire.

The main Toad from SMB2 / SM3DW can stay. Feels great playing as him, his speed is awesome.

Captain Toad is annoying as hell but almost in a cute way, so he can stay too. And I guess all the lazy/incompetent/deadbeat toads in his "brigade" can stay too, as long as they get minimal screen time.

Well that's your taste. Color Splash is one of the best adventure games I've played outside of Grim Fandango and a grand contender for the best written game of the year.

wrowa

This picture makes me depressed.

I challenge someone to defend this.

There are different Toads in Color Splash, but the optical differences are much more subtle and less emphasized. Toads looking like these indistinguishable people is kind of the joke.

Color Splash's approach to Toads - and to a lot of other things, really - is different, but different doesn't necessarily mean worse. It's kind of a shame that a lot of people only look at Color Splash with the "Paper Mario should be an RPG like The Thousand-Year Door" mindset, when it's actually doing a pretty good job at accomplishing what it sets out to do. It's a fun game, really, I'd even say great. Might be my favorite Paper Mario, actually.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Color Splash:

Full images of them are here if you want to see them: https://www.spriters-resource.com/wii_u/papermariocolorsplash/

Doesn't that prove his point? Color palette swaps, and the occasional glasses, scarf, or hat doesn't really differentiate the characters very much. The addition of hair, clothing designs that stick out, and variance in silhouettes in TTYD adds a lot of personality.

I'm sure they're well written individual characters in the game, but it's still disappointing visually. Whatever character design rules that got written into the mario bible before Sticker Star was a huge mistake.

They don't have to get rid of toad, they just need to lighten up on their restrictions to making enough interesting characters to fill an RPG.

Top Bottom