• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Sega made a Sega Saturn Mini classic with 20 games?

Pachi72

What games would you want the system to come with?
Here is my list.
1. Virtua Fighter 2
2. Fighters Megamix
3. Sega Rally
4. Nights Into Dreams
5. Radiant Silvergun
6. Silhouette Mirage
7. Guardian Heroes
8. Shinning in the Holy Ark
9. Dark Stalkers 3
10. Panzer Dragoon Zwei
11. Panzer Dragoon Saga
12. Clockwork Knight 2
13. Thunderforce V
14. Saturn Bomberman
15. Parodius Deluxe Pack
16. Sexy Parodius
17. X-Men vs SF
18. SF Alpha 3
19. Virtua Cop 2
20. Dragon Force

Last edited:

Shifty1897

Yeah but they can't even get a Genesis Classic right, plus the Saturn is hard as balls to emulate. I would buy it in an instant if it was made well and ran well.
I like your list but where is Burning Rangers?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not a fan of these micro consoles (barely use my SNES classic), but that's one I'd probably pick up. I never had a Saturn and from what I've gathered it's emulators aren't great. I'd love to check out some of the stuff like Panzer Dragoon that I never played.

Azroix

Neo Member
I'd love a mini-Saturn (or even a big ass Saturn). Saturn Bomberman, Xmen vs SF (Japanese port w/ Norimaru), and Sonic Jam were some of a my favs. Sonic Jam in particular is one of my favorite compilation games -- so much history with the movie theater and jukebox.

Too busy atm for the list but yours looks pretty good.

I'd buy a Sega Saturn mini in an instant as long as it wasn't completely broken. I have no interest in owning a Genesis collection for the umpteenth time but for the love of all the is holy, let us play Saturn games again

I'd buy this so goddamn hard, this is my most wanted mini console by far given how lost the Saturn library feels. It's probably the single most obscure console by a major platform holder. Even the Virtual Boy gets mocked every so often, the Dreamcast sold like shit but it's remembered fondly by a lot of people, the Saturn just feels like a fever dream, almost as if it didn't happen. It would be cool as hell.

kaczmar

Here is my list.
1. Virtua Fighter 2
2. Fighters Megamix
3. Sega Rally
4. Nights Into Dreams
5. Radiant Silvergun
6. Silhouette Mirage
7. Guardian Heroes
9. Dark Stalkers 3
10. Panzer Dragoon Zwei
11. Panzer Dragoon Saga
12. Clockwork Knight 2
13. Thunderforce V
14. Saturn Bomberman
15. Parodius Deluxe Pack
16. Sexy Parodius
17. X-Men vs SF
18. SF Alpha 3
19. Virtua Cop 2
20. Dragon Force

No Bug!. WOW.

Dreamcast Mini is the way to go.

2017-10-19_150239.jpg

The Shield TV/Android platform proves it can be emulated well relatively cheaply and the widescreen hacks are welcome plus with the Shenmue hype and crappy port it would be a great way to get some traction going for their brand again plus the hipsters would be all over and, crucially, the super bright and colorful graphics on a lot of the games hold up really well to this day.

What would be flat out awesome were if they just released the console for say a hundred with a controller and it had online functionality that allowed you to download your own titles from their store for say five bucks a piece. That would be a Classic done right (assuming they don't get that crappy Chinese company to make the hardware again) and could pave the way for Dreamcast 2: The Lucid Ones.

*wakes up*

lock2k

Banned
I'd buy this so goddamn hard, this is my most wanted mini console by far given how lost the Saturn library feels. It's probably the single most obscure console by a major platform holder. Even the Virtual Boy gets mocked every so often, the Dreamcast sold like shit but it's remembered fondly by a lot of people, the Saturn just feels like a fever dream, almost as if it didn't happen. It would be cool as hell.

I went to a music school last Saturday to take my daughter to an experimental music class. When I got there... they had an arcade machine with a Saturn/Model 2 emulator (so random and awesome). I played the shit out of it!

frogger

Here is my list.
1. Virtua Fighter 2
2. Fighters Megamix
3. Sega Rally
4. Nights Into Dreams
5. Radiant Silvergun
6. Silhouette Mirage
7. Guardian Heroes
9. Dark Stalkers 3
10. Panzer Dragoon Zwei
11. Panzer Dragoon Saga
12. Clockwork Knight 2
13. Thunderforce V
14. Saturn Bomberman
15. Parodius Deluxe Pack
16. Sexy Parodius
17. X-Men vs SF
18. SF Alpha 3
19. Virtua Cop 2
20. Dragon Force

I would buy this. But given the track record of how they managed those Genesis minis, I don't have much hope.

Last edited:

Hudo

No Bulk Slash or Burning Rangers or Elevator Action Returns? Y'all doin' it wrong!

EDIT: I do approve of Panzer Dragoon 1,2 and Saga. But I've heard that they've lost the source code to Saga...

Last edited:

kyubajin

That would be an awesome idea, although most of the games that I want are obscure Japan-only shmups and the like...

hecatomb

Banned
Id add

Xmen vs street fighter
marvel super heroes
Bug
Bug too
panzer dragoon
nights into dreams
vampire savior 2
street fighter alpha 2 and 3
guardian heroes
clockwork knight 1 and 2

Last edited:

Pachi72

No Bulk Slash or Burning Rangers or Elevator Action Returns? Y'all doin' it wrong!

EDIT: I do approve of Panzer Dragoon 1,2 and Saga. But I've heard that they've lost the source code to Saga...
I don't think you need the source code for tbis. These mini consoles are loaded with ROM images. I see people playing Saga on Saturn emulation. Now unless you doing a remaster of the game.

RAIDEN1

The Sega Saturn represents a "dark time" in Sega's hardware history no-wonder there hasn't been anything to mark any of its anniversaries over the years...as well as yes it being hard to emulate...ironic as it was even hard to develop for more than 20 years back!

hecatomb

Banned
The Sega Saturn represents a "dark time" in Sega's hardware history no-wonder there hasn't been anything to mark any of its anniversaries over the years...as well as yes it being hard to emulate...ironic as it was even hard to develop for more than 20 years back!
Sega Saturn didn't do to well in America cause PS1 was coming out, and lacked the marketing. They did really well in Japan though. If xmen vs street fighter, alpha 3, vampire savior 2, and marvel super heroes came to America it would have been a lot different.

Last edited:

Airola

How about Philips CD-i Mini? I would probably be the one person who would be interested in that be as I have the real system already I wouldn't probably buy it (unless it had some of the more expensive games that I can't afford to buy on it).

I would totally get one, because I never owned a Saturn.

Same here. I would like to own a Saturn but as I don't I would gladly take a Saturn Mini. I think I haven't ever even touched a Saturn in real life and I have never played even one game on it. I own one game for it though which I bought from a flea market thinking I might one day find the system also.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Seeing all the comments like "I've never played a Saturn" or "I've never seen one in real life" makes me sad.

I'm relatively new to the system (started my Saturn collection only a few years ago) but it is seriously the best system from that generation if you love arcade games. Neither PS1 nor N64 nor Jaguar nor any of the other systems can hold a candle to Saturn's arcade library.

RAIDEN1

Sega Saturn didn't do to well in America cause PS1 was coming out, and lacked the marketing. They did really well in Japan though. If xmen vs street fighter, alpha 3, vampire savior 2, and marvel super heroes came to America it would have been a lot different.
I think even with those games alone it still wouldn't have been enough....they really needed the Sonic killer app but got bogged down with it so much so I don't think it would have even have been able to compete with Mario 64 anyway...and also the fact that from a development stand-point it wasn't exactly user-friendly..

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
How about Philips CD-i Mini? I would probably be the one person who would be interested in that be as I have the real system already I wouldn't probably buy it (unless it had some of the more expensive games that I can't afford to buy on it).

Same here. I would like to own a Saturn but as I don't I would gladly take a Saturn Mini. I think I haven't ever even touched a Saturn in real life and I have never played even one game on it. I own one game for it though which I bought from a flea market thinking I might one day find the system also.

It was strange because I loved my Genesis/CD/32X (yes even the 32X), but never bought into the Saturn. I think it's ghost release and high price turned me off, and once I rented a PS1 back then when it launched, I bought it the day after Xmas that year with money given as gifts. I did however get a Dreamcast, since someone I knew pre-ordered 2 and gave me one of his slots on release day.

Last edited:

hecatomb

Banned
I think even with those games alone it still wouldn't have been enough....they really needed the Sonic killer app but got bogged down with it so much so I don't think it would have even have been able to compete with Mario 64 anyway...and also the fact that from a development stand-point it wasn't exactly user-friendly..
I guess you weren't around during the days were those fighting games were a big deal, and were in the world tournaments for fighting games. Those were very big games at the time, and the best ports were on Saturn, the ps1 ports were trash.

I went to a music school last Saturday to take my daughter to an experimental music class. When I got there... they had an arcade machine with a Saturn/Model 2 emulator (so random and awesome). I played the shit out of it!

That's too good, Sega during that period is incredibly underrated. Those games should not be lost to time.

I think one of the big non-emulation related problems of doing any kind of Saturn collection is a large chunk of the best games were arcade ports which are no longer the preferable versions. Like I'd rather have actual arcade emulation of all those Sega arcade games like Virtua Fighter, Daytona, Virtua Cop, Virtua On, Die Hard Arcade and all that; then all those fighting games have had arcade or better than arcade perfect ports on various other systems since. Plus a large chunk of their quality games were left in Japan and still need full localization.

KellyM

my list,
1. Virtua Fighter 2
2. X-men vs Street Fighter
3. Powerslave
4. Nights Into Dreams
5. Radiant Silvergun
6. Burning Rangers
7. Guardian Heroes
9. Dark Savior (Darkstalkers 3 they released with the upgrade cart)
10. Panzer Dragoon Zwei
11. Panzer Dragoon Saga
12. Clockwork Knight 1 and 2
13. Thunderforce V
14. Saturn Bomberman
15. Legend of Oasis
16. Sexy Parodius
17. X-Men vs SF
18. SF Alpha 3
19. Sega Rally Championship,
20. Dragon Force
21. Sonic Jam

I would love stuff like Shiloutte Mirage, Keio flying squadron 2 ( they had an English version in Europe) Shining Force 3, and a few others, I don't think Virtua cop 1 and 2 1ould be good without a light gun, If they had one,, add those,

Last edited:

Lightsbane

My all-time favorite console.
I'll stick to games I've actually owned and played extensively (so no Panzer Dragoon Saga, Radiant Silvergun or anything like that).
  • Nights into Dreams
  • Shining Force III
  • Saturn Bomberman
  • Dragon Force
  • Sega Rally Championship
  • Dark Savior
  • Virtual On
  • Guardian Heroes
  • Clockwork Knight
  • Shining the Holy Ark
  • Bust-A-Move 3
  • Virtua Fighter 2
  • Panzer Dragoon
  • Darius Gaiden
  • Croc
  • The King of Fighters '95
  • Soviet Strike
  • The Story of Thor 2
  • Daytona USA
  • Baku Baku

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I think one of the big non-emulation related problems of doing any kind of Saturn collection is a large chunk of the best games were arcade ports which are no longer the preferable versions. Like I'd rather have actual arcade emulation of all those Sega arcade games like Virtua Fighter, Daytona, Virtua Cop, Virtua On, Die Hard Arcade and all that; then all those fighting games have had arcade or better than arcade perfect ports on various other systems since. Plus a large chunk of their quality games were left in Japan and still need full localization.
While this is 100% true, I think a Saturn Saturn miniconsole is significantly more likely.

Top Bottom