• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Sega made a Sega Saturn Mini classic with 20 games?

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
my list,
1. Virtua Fighter 2
2. X-men vs Street Fighter
3. Powerslave
4. Nights Into Dreams
5. Radiant Silvergun
6. Burning Rangers
7. Guardian Heroes
8. Shinning in the Holy Ark
9. Dark Savior (Darkstalkers 3 they released with the upgrade cart)
10. Panzer Dragoon Zwei
11. Panzer Dragoon Saga
12. Clockwork Knight 1 and 2
13. Thunderforce V
14. Saturn Bomberman
15. Legend of Oasis
16. Sexy Parodius
17. X-Men vs SF
18. SF Alpha 3
19. Sega Rally Championship,
20. Dragon Force
21. Sonic Jam

I would love stuff like Shiloutte Mirage, Keio flying squadron 2 ( they had an English version in Europe) Shining Force 3, and a few others, I don't think Virtua cop 1 and 2 1ould be good without a light gun, If they had one,, add those,
I like this list. Some rare ones (PDS, Burning Rangers, Radiant Silvergun, DragonForce), some fighters and a good variety of platformers and RPG's.

Kazza

Oh snap, I didn't realise this type of thread already existed and created my own one a little while ago.

Even if we agree on the games (although there is quite a bit of overlap), I think we can all agree that Sega needs to do this, whether as a mini console or as a collection on modern consoles.

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
The last Sega console I played was the Mega Drive, so I'd definitely be interested.

skneogaf

I would buy a sega saturn mini in a heartbeat.

Surely it's doable as the 3d ability of the saturn was lacking so the gpu inside surely doesn't need to be powerful.

Any news on one?

diffusionx

Gold Member
I would buy a sega saturn mini in a heartbeat.

Surely it's doable as the 3d ability of the saturn was lacking so the gpu inside surely doesn't need to be powerful.

Any news on one?

No, no news whatsoever. Don't hold your breath.

Saturn emulation isn't quite where it needs to be either.

SirTerry-T

Nowhere near enough mentions for this awesome title.
Naughty Saturn fans, naughty.
xRT8deL.jpg

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Considering the Saturn wasn’t popular and is One of my favourites, lets add more than 20

1. Shining Force 3 - Part 1, 2 & 3
2. Dark Saviour
3. Guardian Heroes
4. Castlevania Symphony of the Night
5. Virtua Fighter 2
6. Fighters Megamix
7. Dayatona USA
8. Sega Rally
9. Nights Into Dreams
10. Radiant Silvergun

11. Silhouette Mirage
12. Sakura Taisen ( I want to play it )

13. Grandia

14. Baku Baku Animal

15. Burning Rangers

16. Sonic Jam

17. Die Hard Arcade

18. Dark Stalkers 3
19. Panzer Dragoon Zwei
20. Panzer Dragoon Saga

21. Clockwork Knight 2
22. Thunderforce V
23. Saturn Bomberman

24. Shining in the Holy Ark

25. Policenauts
26. Sexy Parodius
27. X-Men vs SF
28. SF Alpha 3
29. Virtua Cop 2

30. Dragon Force 1 & 2

31. Sonic R
32. Enemy Zero
33. Albert Odessy

edit
Forgot about Last Bronx, Elevator action and Darius Gaiden

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
ehh probably not because emulation has been shit for saturn compared to running the real hardware.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I've been emulating Saturn on a Ryzen 3 with no dedicated video hardware and it runs like butter.

doesnt matter how the performance is, a lot agmes are full of glitches and just plain dont look or play right. the saturn is a weird beast. alot of games where completely created around its flaws and design choices. even just not being on a CRT changes alot as the interlacing played a major role in how effects were accomplished.

lock2k

Banned
doesnt matter how the performance is, a lot agmes are full of glitches and just plain dont look or play right. the saturn is a weird beast. alot of games where completely created around its flaws and design choices. even just not being on a CRT changes alot as the interlacing played a major role in how effects were accomplished.

It's such a complicated beast to emulate, I totally get your point.

diffusionx

Gold Member

Also, it's not just how it's a complicated machine to emulate, it's also that these mini consoles are based around shit-tier ARM SOCs. Nobody is going to sell an $80 mini console with a really beefy chip that eats up all the profit margins.

RAIDEN1

Also, it's not just how it's a complicated machine to emulate, it's also that these mini consoles are based around shit-tier ARM SOCs. Nobody is going to sell an $80 mini console with a really beefy chip that eats up all the profit margins.
Yeah well Sega has nobody to blame but itself for making it a complicated machine just to get the best out of it...pretty much like a self-inflicted blow just to hasten your departure from the hardware scene...

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I think one of the big non-emulation related problems of doing any kind of Saturn collection is a large chunk of the best games were arcade ports which are no longer the preferable versions. Like I'd rather have actual arcade emulation of all those Sega arcade games like Virtua Fighter, Daytona, Virtua Cop, Virtua On, Die Hard Arcade and all that; then all those fighting games have had arcade or better than arcade perfect ports on various other systems since. Plus a large chunk of their quality games were left in Japan and still need full localization.
I felt like pointing that out, too. The ports weren't quite arcade grade but not far off. I had the Action Replay Plus cart for my Saturn so I could import most of the JP games. It seems like Saturn's Western releases were limited and the bulk of better games were on the original JP console. Had the Saturn lasted longer, some of those would have likely been localized to Europe and N.A. So, I'd go for a Saturn mini but probably a JP version.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Saturn is a weird one. I've only ever seen one game played on one in person (Resident Evil) and I have never been shown another game worth playing aside from Symphony of the Night. They might exist, but they seem quite obscure to me (Panzer Dragoon, Nights).

I think it would be amazing and sell really well. I'd like a Dreamcast mini too, but Sega are probably too incompetent to do either.

swarley64

I’ve gotten weirdly nostalgic for the Saturn lately... I might actually pick that up. Would love to play some Panzer Dragoon again

diffusionx

Gold Member
I agree with OP. Daytona USA shouldn't be on the list. The Saturn version is complete garbage.

Daytona USA looks like dog shit and runs like poop but the mechanics are absolutely rock solid and very faithful to the arcade version. You just didn't get arcade ports that played so close to the original ones up until then. The sad thing is that they jacked it all up for CCE, the Japanese CCE port, AND Daytona Dreamcast which was the worst of all of them. The cars handled like meth-addicted shopping carts on ice.

At least we have the 360 port today.

Last edited:

Jaxcellent

I'd buy this, you know whats strange, when i owned a Saturn back in the day, it felt like the gaming grass was always much greener on the playstation side, but after all these years, I do really appreciate the amazing Saturn library.

Saturn emulation has been great since about 2005. I started emulating on a potato back then and played through a dozen or so classics. The only real issue with emulation at the moment is input lag which plagues all of the emulators currently available and nobody knows how to fix it.

Last edited:

SegaManAU

Gold Member
Daytona USA looks like dog shit and runs like poop but the mechanics are absolutely rock solid and very faithful to the arcade version. You just didn't get arcade ports that played so close to the original ones up until then. The sad thing is that they jacked it all up for CCE, the Japanese CCE port, AND Daytona Dreamcast which was the worst of all of them. The cars handled like meth-addicted shopping carts on ice.

At least we have the 360 port today.
Agree regarding the mechanics of the game, but the look of the game is terrible. It's a shame the game was rushed and the team couldn't nail the port. I'm thankful for the 360 port, and that I own the arcade machine. It's my favorite game, ever.

Well, this Japanese gent claims to have a complete collection and the number of games he has is 1057, so your math is a little off.

Sorry, my feeble attempt at sarcasm wasn't wholly apparent to you there. I'd like to clarify. The point of a classic console is playing classic games. Whilst there are over 1,200 games for the Saturn in Japan only 250 were ever released in North America and even less so in Europe. Of those 250 games I would genuinely struggle to find 20 that I would consider truly classic. I may be able to do 10 at best. The PlayStation Mini hardly had classic titles representing the behemoth console.

Thus the comment, "Fuck me you managed to pick 20 titles. Well done."

The Saturn is probably my favourite console of all time. I bought one towards the end of the generation after I'd got sick of the PS1. It was such a breath of fresh air, proper arcade games that really captured what gaming was all about for me.

My 20 games list would be

Sega Rally
Virtua Fighter 2
Street Fighter Zero 3
Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter
Guardian Heroes
Metal Slug
Radiant Silvergun
Battle Garegga
Darius Gaiden
Stellar Assault SS
Panzer Dragoon Zwei
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Shining Force III (all three scenarios)
Dragon Force
Die Hard Arcade
Nights into Dreams
Exhumed
Psychic Warlock Assassin
Castlevania Symphony of the Night
Deep Fear

I would have included Virtua Cop but I doubt they'd release a light gun for a mini console.

The only problem with this line up would be they'd have to give you a 3D pad to play Nights on which would be terrible for everything else, especially the fighters.

Last edited:

Tazzu

It's not going to happen for a while but it would be a great if it did. Some of those games cost quiet a lot and the Saturn's popularity and reputation is really growing in the West.

I honestly think they should've released a Mega CD mini with working games.

Pachi72

The Saturn is probably my favourite console of all time. I bought one towards the end of the generation after I'd got sick of the PS1. It was such a breath of fresh air, proper arcade games that really captured what gaming was all about for me.

My 20 games list would be

Sega Rally
Virtua Fighter 2
Street Fighter Zero 3
Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter
Guardian Heroes
Metal Slug
Radiant Silvergun
Battle Garegga
Darius Gaiden
Stellar Assault SS
Panzer Dragoon Zwei
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Shining Force III (all three scenarios)
Dragon Force
Die Hard Arcade
Nights into Dreams
Exhumed
Psychic Warlock Assassin
Castlevania Symphony of the Night
Deep Fear

I would have included Virtua Cop but I doubt they'd release a light gun for a mini console.

The only problem with this line up would be they'd have to give you a 3D pad to play Nights on which would be terrible for everything else, especially the fighters.
Bro you nailed it. To me the Saturn stands as my favorite console ever made.

cireza

I have adjusted my list from a couple years ago.
  • Burning Rangers
  • Deep Fear
  • Digital Pinball : Necronomicon
  • Dragon Force
  • Elevator Action Returns
  • Exhumed
  • Guardian Heroes
  • Nights
  • Panzer Dragoon Zwei
  • Panzer Dragoon Saga
  • Radiant Silvergun
  • Saturn Bomberman
  • Sega Rally
  • Shining Force III
  • Steep Slope Sliders
  • Story of Thor 2
  • Virtua Cop 2
  • Virtua Fighter 2
  • Virtual On
  • X-Men VS Street Fighter
I removed Sengoku Blade and Real Bout Special to put Deep Fear and Virtua Cop 2, adding two high quality exclusives and more diversity to the list. This is actually a very diverse list when you look at it. 20 is still a bit too small though.

Top Bottom