• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If the Steam Deck had been made a Microsoft or Sony handheld, people would be going wild.

kiphalfton

I wholeheartedly believe if the Steam Deck had a PS logo or Xbox logo on it instead, I bet there would be considerably less naysayers.

How many freaking people have asked for a portable Xbox. Well guess what, that's essentially what the Steam Deck is, but it's better as it isn't just confined to Xbox games but all PC games throughout the ages.

What's not to love. Oh besides, it not having Nintendo games (obviously, but we still get those stupid comments).

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
200.gif

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
Its just a difference in Marketing.

Valve: Hey, uh, so here is a portable thing. Do whatever you want with it i guess...idk play games.

Xbox: 9000 tweets, 1 music video, youtube ads, Article from Jeff Grubb and just general loud noises.

PlayStation: 1 picture on Instagram and nothing else. 7 billion likes in 3 minutes.

Fahdis

I agree. It would have been if god's themselves answered the call and put it in player's hands. There would have been music and festivities around the world. Elation and euphoria would have filled the streets...

... but then the console fanboy wakes up to Gabe sleeping right beside them... naked... with his Steam Deck on top of them... offering free online, regional pricing, the most popular storefront in the world with MS and Sony games already on them... say what? Emulate everything? Oh lord...

... the screams would have been harrowing and bloodcurdling because the rabid fanboy can't see past Phil's or Jim's fingers rammed down their anal cavity... that brand loyalty... a Nintendo fan is already having seizures on the floor looking at the Gabe Gear with the old rival flame of Sega and Nintendo becoming a nightmare through sheer aesthetics... he died that night.

I completely understand you OP.

Its just a difference in Marketing.

Valve: Hey, uh, so here is a portable thing. Do whatever you want with it i guess...idk play games.

Xbox: 9000 tweets, 1 music video, youtube ads, Article from Jeff Grubb and just general loud noises.

PlayStation: 1 picture on Instagram and nothing else. 7 billion likes in 3 minutes.
Yeah, kinda this.

You have to remember, although Valve has been around for many many years now, they've always been a quiet company.

You think of Valve, and it doesn't necessarily come off as an exciting brand - even though they do a lot of great things.

That's because Valve is a quiet company that tends to "show, not tell."

If anything, if Valve intends to go a little deeper into hardware, they should probably slowly build up their branding and consumer mindshare moving forward.

KAL2006

Banned
I disagree part of the appeal of Steam Deck is massive steam library and emulation. If Sony made something similar it wouldn't work as developers would have to port games so the lineup games would be a few not 1000s like Steam.

You would be able to buy one worldwide and would get after sales support. So yah, ms or any console maker launching it would make it a viable product.

Valve launches hardware but does not have distribution system. So they end up being proof of concept. Only way to buy them via grey market.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
With the rise in cell phones and the incredible success of the Switch. It makes sense to have something there for people who want to play games, but don’t want to sit next to some bulky machine while doing it. We’ve seen portable machines, at least I have from Linus Tech videos. They all promise to give you that portable gaming feeling and Valve/Steam is huge in that market. You have memes about Steam sales and not playing the games. This gives the person wanting to play PC games a chance without having to jump through a ton of hoops to do it. Cell phones made it to where you don’t exactly need a laptop in certain situations. If Sony made it, we’d all expect them to have a list of titles or Microsoft doing the same thing. The MS Surface has done an excellent job and you could buy that and at least stream from it. Valve is taking it a step further and it’s probably a big risk for them. I find the Steam Desk very convenient for someone who doesn’t want to boot up their computer just to play a game.

Portable PS4 with a SSD called PS4go would be so cool. I would buy it ASAP.
c65e5c60590873.5a53372700793.jpg

But So? Why do you feel so insecure about this? Steam Deck is just a gaming laptop. Instead of a keyboard its a controller. Why do you care that Playstation or Xbox(Nintendo) are more popular? Why, how does that effect your purchase?

I am personally am getting the steam deck for my sister. She plays PC centric games. Idk how useful it is with a mouse. I mainly play playstation exclusives.

ZehDon

If PlayStation made it, there would be exclusive games for it, or at the very least, I could play existing PlayStation exclusives and other console games on it.

If Xbox made it, there would be exclusive games for it, or at the very least, I could play existing Xbox exclusives and other console games on it.

Because Valve made it, about the best
it can do is play games I already own on it at lower resolution and graphics before Valve abandon it in a couple of years. It’ll be an emulation beast, but for something that be around AU$900, it really needs more than that to get folks super excited. I think it’s gotten about the right reaction at large.

Ryu Kaiba

While there are lots of naysayers there's a lot of excitement for the thing as well so it's not much different from any new product launch really.

MS and Sony would design something that is a lot more reserved. There was a time when ferociously wanted a PS4 portable, but if unveiled today I wouldn't be interested.

I have no attachment to Steam and don't game on PC. I have a Switch already.

If people want to get excited about the Deck its fine with me. I think Valve can accept some of the blame for the lack of hype though. Not exactly the most stellar history of support over many years after release. Kind of a similar vibe to Stadia where it feels like Valve may just forget it exists in a year. They aren't really doing a lot well in terms of marketing.

Ezquimacore

Banned
Steam deck has more value than the ps5/switch/xbox. Gamepass, windows, linux, emulators including the switch and ps3 emulators, sony games, steam games, infinite backward compatibility, handheld, docked. Meanwhile sony is selling 10 hour games for $75, xbox always a waiting game and nintendo release one epic game per year.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
If PlayStation made it, there would be exclusive games for it, or at the very least, I could play existing PlayStation exclusives and other console games on it.

If Xbox made it, there would be exclusive games for it, or at the very least, I could play existing Xbox exclusives and other console games on it.

Because Valve made it, about the best
it can do is play games I already own on it at lower resolution and graphics before Valve abandon it in a couple of years. It’ll be an emulation beast, but for something that be around AU$900, it really needs more than that to get folks super excited. I think it’s gotten about the right reaction at large.
Not everyone has a gaming PC, and right now, not many people can even buy one or just a GPU. Steam Deck is the best thing in gaming.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Sony yes, Microsoft no. If this was a Vita 2 the majority of this forum would be absolutely losing their collective shit in anticipation. That's just brand loyalty though.

It still wouldn't change anything for me. Too big, too expensive, too little storage, not powerful enough for what it aims to be for my liking. Doesn't matter who makes it. I say this as someone with a 300+ game steam library + xbox game pass + 100+ games across EGS/MS Store/GoG/Ubisoft/EA launchers. I don't own a switch because portability isn't a thing I want from a game machine. I'm never going to be out in public and want to play a video game. At my home I can simply use Steam Link to play my games on higher settings at a higher framerate on a better screen using my S21 Ultra or Tab S6.

Also this forum is going bananas over it already, so the topic is a bit weird.

Last edited:

KiteGr

Well... I'm planning on turning it into an emulation machine, so it wouldn't effect me, unless they where to make it less supportive of 3rd party programs.

Mabdia

I wholeheartedly believe if the Steam Deck had a PS logo or Xbox logo on it instead, I bet there would be considerably less naysayers.

How many freaking people have asked for a portable Xbox. Well guess what, that's essentially what the Steam Deck is, but it's better as it isn't just confined to Xbox games but all PC games throughout the ages.

What's not to love. Oh besides, it not having Nintendo games (obviously, but we still get those stupid comments).
Might be. But to be honest with gaf, what excites me most about Steam Deck is that it does not have Playstation logo nor Xbox (And that says a lot, since I'm a Sony fan since PS1 days). That and the possibility of run a lot of JRPGs on it. I'll just wait to see how expensive it will be where I live.

Last edited:

Neil Young

It seems people are pretty excited.

For MS: You'd get even more "LOL, no gamez!" And game pass concern.

For Sony: you'd get people petrified that the system would cannibalize their strong first parties.

I think the deck occupies a nice spot and makes it a cool system.

Ryu Kaiba

I've noticed a lot that people these days often write something off not on the products own merits but on a company's past endeavors.
Like, so many people were convinced the Switch would fail simply because the Wii U did. Or that VR will never succeed because the Virtual boy didn't work.
It's happening again here with the Steam Deck. People often bring up the steam controllers, or the steam machines, as though those are somehow impairing this product.
If anything, having failed in that past makes one more likely to succeed in my eyes. Valve willing to take a loss on this device for it to succeed shows commitment.
I had no interest in valves previous products, but my interest in this is off the charts. This is something new and different with far more appeal.

Last edited:

drive off 50 cent GIF

Robb

Gold Member
Probably, I know I’d be more excited for it if Sony or MS had announced it at least. To me, ValvE come off as uncertain in regards to hardware compared to Nintendo, Sony or MS. Seems like they’re just throwing stuff out there to see what sticks without any real long-term vision.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

Definitely yes for both. If Sony had made the device and somehow was able to make an easy transition for PS4 games to the 720 requirement, sure. If Microsoft had somehow released the device and included everything (most) available on game pass and lots of PC/Windows games? Yes.
These would have been huge, much bigger deal for what the device is.
If it was a portable Ps4, with Ps5 games somehow scaled down? incredible device.
And lastly if, If Sony made a capable Ps3 emulator, and this acted as some sort of Playstation Legacy device?
One can dream.
if this was the indeed the Switch Pro?, the internet would have been going bananas at the power.

Codes 208

If it was Sony then fuck yeah you’d see people going ballistic and there would be a shit load of comparisons as “the next successor to the psp and vita”

if it was MS I think the general response would’ve been roughly the same. A handheld variant of a Xbox series console but with a pc-centric design and windows based OS for games on the windows store and steam. (Basically the exact same thing as the deck, but windows instead of Linux as the default)

Because Valve have a track record of abandoning devices. We heard all that propaganda about how the Steam controller would revolutionise gaming, and then they dropped it. Steam boxes were going to bring PC gamers out of their mom's basement and into the living room.

I don't expect the handheld to be any different. They'll give it all the big PR speak before release, but after release they won't push the product.

e&e

Banned
This device is not mass market compatible. Valve knows this…

It will sit well with that small VR niche…

Last edited:

ZehDon

Not everyone has a gaming PC, and right now, not many people can even buy one or just a GPU. Steam Deck is the best thing in gaming.
You don't need a gaming PC to compete with a min-spec 720p device, and right now, the Steam Deck is back-ordered into at least mid-2022 - it's just one more device no one can buy. If you think the Steam Deck is the best thing in gaming you either don't play games, or are still clinging to your Vita.

N30RYU

As someone without a PC capable only to browse internet, I'm interested more in a "portable" PC than a new PSVita2 or Xbox Portable 'cause my steam, epic and gog library have grown a lot in the last two years without buying anything.

That said I don't think I will be buying one... it should be more mass appealing or show that even when valve drop it, it will still remain viable gamming pc

Last edited:

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
You don't need a gaming PC to compete with a min-spec 720p device, and right now, the Steam Deck is back-ordered into at least mid-2022 - it's just one more device no one can buy. If you think the Steam Deck is the best thing in gaming you either don't play games, or are still clinging to your Vita.
They gave us true gamers 2 days to reserve one and it's still available at least. You cannot get an entry-level gaming laptop that can compete with this for the price, and those would be less appealing, larger, and heavier. You will prob spend $800 and be dissatisfied with the performance at 1080p (and screen quality). An Xbox One Elite controller is $180 and Valve Index controllers are $280. It goes on.

Last edited:

ZehDon

They gave us true gamers 2 days to reserve one and it's still available at least. You cannot get an entry-level gaming laptop that can compete with this for the price, and those would be less appealing, larger, and heavier. You will prob spend $800 and be dissatisfied with the performance at 1080p. An Xbox One Elite controller is $180 and a Valve Index controllers are $280. It goes on.
giphy.gif

Best of luck, kid.

Denton

Like, if I want to play portable PC games, I can use a laptop. I know the form factor for the deck is more portable, but it's kinda a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist.

Also, PSVita 2 would be amazing. Vita is life.
..perfect case in point

RoboFu

One of the green rats
umm ... the BIG difference is that SONY, MS, NINTENDO will make certain (most of the time lol) That the games released will run decently on the hardware. The Steam Deck just gives you the hardware without any real assurance if the game you want will run or not.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
PS Owner here.

I would not be excited even Sony decided to launch a Vita 2, personally i think they should prioritise on console since they lack of studios.

Brofist

There is plenty of hype around the Steam Deck, but there are enough unknowns that people are a little skeptical about it. If it was Sony or MS you’d be getting a much safer locked down device, and you’d pretty much know what you’re getting.

The Deck will live or die by initial response. If within a week or 2 there are tons of video with emulators and game pass running games smoothly and good word of mouth the hype will only build.

Top Bottom