• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If there is a NSMB2 coming, what would you like to see improved?

Jiggy37 said:
Seemingly they're all reserved for Mario spinoffs--namely Yoshi's Island, Super Princess Peach, and Yoshi's Island DS.

Galaxy had some great bosses. I especially loved the spider boss, that really showed me the genius of not only Galaxy's controls, but also its physics.

16jpkyp.png

Everyone knows this is the only answer

something i started earlier and just finished

I know that NSMB is based more off of SMB1, so it's more.... horizontal and grounded, I guess, in terms of level design.

I kind of hope that if NSMB2 does does happen, it's more like SMB3.

robor

Wouldn't it be cool if they did a NSMB game for the Wii? True multiplayer 3D platforming!? I think so!

layzie1989 said:
16jpkyp.png

Everyone knows this is the only answer

something i started earlier and just finished

Bravo sir, bravo!

Best 2D Mario in my opinion, the feather and Yoshi are AWESOME!
The castles and the koopalings (fuck you bowser jr), and the castle music. And the koopacopter, and dinosaurland....

Koren

I'd like a little bit more challenge. Or rather more challenge in fact. I'd also like that they avoid levels that need an item you have to get in another level.

Take inspiration in SMB3, SMW and SML2, and simply build a brand new classic :D

keyrat

I liked how the mini mushrooms were used primarily to get to the secret areas. It made the game that much more challenging when you went back to collect every single coin (what, you didn't do that?).

For me the game was great. A little easier to beat than SMB-SMB3, but about as hard as SMW. If you went back to get all the coins and alternate routes, the difficulty went up significantly and it kept me entertained.

big_z

layzie1989 said:

Pretty much what i want. SMW had a great design.... i dont want any more of this bowser jr shit. Would also like it if they used the 2D SMW graphics but improved them(more animation, effects, etc) i really hated the nsmb look... very generic.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
SantaC pretty much nailed what I would like to see in a sequel.

-SMW-like graphics (though enhanced I would hope)
-Non-shitty music (though I really did like the main Castle theme)
-Better powerups (bring back flying items pls)
-More exploration

Sixfortyfive said:
Flight items are lame, people. I don't like being able to fly over entire levels.

God, I hate it when people do this. Did Miyamoto come to your doorstep, put a gun to your head and forced you to fly past every level?

d+pad

I'd rather they not make another NSMB2. If they're going to do a 2D Mario platformer, I want SMB4 with sprites - and I want it to be at least somewhat challenging. Not only didn't I like the look of NSMB, but it was a snore.

Oblivion said:
God, I hate it when people do this. Did Miyamoto come to your doorstep, put a gun to your head and forced you to fly past every level?
They don't exactly serve much of a purpose past that. Are you suggesting that we avoid using them altogether? But then we'd miss out on some secret areas which can only be found by arbitrarily using flight items in every level.

Anyway, the Mini Mushroom was a pretty effective substitute for flying items, but they actually compensated your ability to skip huge chunks of levels by making you more vulnerable to enemies and more difficult to control, making it far more balanced than the flying items in SMB3 and SMW. But it seems like the whiners want them to go back to giving you items that completely unbalance the difficulty of the game, even though they complain about NSMB being too easy anyway.

I agree with those who say it should channel SMW in some way. Add more power-ups taken from classic games plus some all-new ones. I've always wanted a "sticky shoes" power-up kind of like the spider ball in Metroid 2, where you could walk up walls and across ceilings. They could combine that with the gravity levels others have mentioned.

Agree that the big and tiny mushrooms in NSMB were overdone and mostly for novelty. They should have been confined to just three or four levels for effect, like the shoe in SMB3.

They could take a page from JSMB2 and add a whole other world with ramped-up difficulty that opens up after you beat the final boss.

Oh please, if it was 2D they wouldn't call it "NEW" Super Mario Bros. I also like the NSMB world map better than that 2D crap from Super Mario World.

What I would like to see:

1) Less "expendable" mushroom houses, and one store where you can get mushrooms by trading in coins and stuff.

2) Play as Yoshi, Bowser, Peach, etc as unlockables

3) More levels/clearer sprites with the 2D palette

4) Some kind of bonus for getting all the coins

5) Better music

6) Items

But really, I would rather have Paper Mario DS than NSMB 2.

Sciz

nincompoop said:
They don't exactly serve much of a purpose past that. Are you suggesting that we avoid using them altogether? But then we'd miss out on some secret areas which can only be found by arbitrarily using flight items in every level.

Anyway, the Mini Mushroom was a pretty effective substitute for flying items, but they actually compensated your ability to skip huge chunks of levels by making you more vulnerable to enemies and more difficult to control, making it far more balanced than the flying items in SMB3 and SMW. But it seems like the whiners want them to go back to giving you items that completely unbalance the difficulty of the game, even though they complain about NSMB being too easy anyway.
Flight items are fun. That's why they should be in. There are plenty of ways to limit the effectiveness of flight (e.g. startup delays, in-flight timers, smart level design) without completely breaking the game in the process. As for difficulty, NSMB's designers didn't include one and still managed to make the easiest entry in the series thanks to the SMB3 damage model and the vast quantity of powerups thrown at the player.

Sciz said:
Flight items are fun. That's why they should be in. There are plenty of ways to limit the effectiveness of flight (e.g. startup delays, in-flight timers, smart level design) without completely breaking the game in the process. As for difficulty, NSMB's designers didn't include one and still managed to make the easiest entry in the series thanks to the SMB3 damage model and the vast quantity of powerups thrown at the player.
I'd have to disagree with NSMB being the easiest in the series, Super Mario World was quite a bit easier IMO. If you ignore the powerups, extra lives etc. and focus solely on the difficulty of the level design, SMW was slightly easier, and throwing in the fact that the majority of SMW's levels could be skipped by flying over them makes it a no-brainer. I would also say that SMB 1 and 2 (US) were easier than NSMB, based on their length and the difficulty of their level design.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
nincompoop said:

As Sciz said, flying items are fun. One of my favorite things about SMW was just aimlessly flying around. Logically, you gotta think of it like this. If a person uses such an item for whatever reason to breeze through the game, they're missing the point of a Mario platformer anyway. Also, difficulty might have been an issue with others, but I didn't mind so much.

So basically, in short, divebombing on charging Chucks > you. That is all. :p

SA-X

nincompoop said:
I would also say that SMB 1 and 2 (US) were easier than NSMB, based on their length and the difficulty of their level design.
No way is SMB2 easier than NSMB, SMB2 has more difficult level design in the later levels and NSMB Mario is much more agile and easier to control.

Jiggy

_Alkaline_ said:
Galaxy had some great bosses. I especially loved the spider boss, that really showed me the genius of not only Galaxy's controls, but also its physics.
Galaxy had creative bosses, I'll grant, but the only one who reached a difficulty level higher than "incredibly easy" was Bouldergeist with one hit. Most of them ended up looking impressive but playing too easily--sort of like Twilight Princess--so, at least as far as Mario games go, I'd definitely put up Yoshi's Island, Yoshi's Island DS, and Super Princess Peach ahead in terms of bosses.

Harder, more memorable, with better music. Yup. The first two may be tied together (a game that's too easy is unmemorable).

Oh, and, how about simultaneous co-op? It was on the cards for NSMB1 at one point.

Zoc

The best thing about NSMB for me was the increased agility of Mario. It was great fun, but as others have said, it unbalanced the game. I think the perfect antidote would be more dynamic levels - objects that squeeze, stretch and bounce like in Yoshi's Island, gravity that changes like Galaxy, levels that change as you move through them... I think it would be a natural evolution of the series.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
1) We already had a few spirtual and mechanical sequels to SMB2/USA... Donkey Kong (94) and Super Princess Peach.

2) If you want to do a "sequel" to the greatest 2D platformer starring the Mario Bros., you'd do a "New Super Mario Bros. 3".

3) I find it hard to believe they'd name something "New Super Mario Bros. 2". I can see them making a game entitled something like "Super Mario Bros.: Subtitle Here"

JRPereira

Funny that you mention SMB2US. I just finished a playthrough of the allstars version on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=396A699A9634E9FB

Minus a couple of warp pipes anyways.

Probably more or less tied with 3 (maybe a tad above it) for my favorite of the NES ones, and I realize how ironic that is considering it's not even a mario game.

I found NSMB pretty damn boring. I hope this is the generic game that gets the engine smooth and functional (a la the first mario brothers, which I recognize for starting the series [and yes I'm aware it's not the start of mario himself or any of that. no history lessons, please] but am not a big fan of) and other games based on it are much more interesting and complex.

Also, what do you consider to be a spiritual sequel for SMB2US?

Does anyone remember super mario: blue twilight DX?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h1ROKY4fdQ

GCX

Nintendo must be the only company that doesn't seem to be in any sort of hurry to release a sequel to a game that sold like 15 million copies.

If I were Nintendo I'd propably had released three sequels already. But that's why it's propably a good thing I'm not.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
JRPereira said:
Are you kidding me? Completely insufficient. Not spiritual sequel material at all.

Have you played Donkey Kong (94)? It's Super Mario Bros. 2/USA with some additional puzzle elements tossed in. Hop on enemies, pluck 'em up and toss them at other enemies. Grab keys, open doors... it has all the basic elements that made SMB2/USA what it was.

Twig

Banned
DavidDayton said:
Have you played Donkey Kong (94)? It's Super Mario Bros. 2/USA with some additional puzzle elements tossed in. Hop on enemies, pluck 'em up and toss them at other enemies. Grab keys, open doors... it has all the basic elements that made SMB2/USA what it was.
Ummm, nah. They have similarities, but they're also completely different in so many ways.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I would love 3D but (hear me out!) 3D the way it was done in the 16-bit days. So almost as if SM64 but as if it had been done on the SNES. If the gameplay was spot on it could be very interesting and definitely novel.

Septy

nincompoop said:
I'd have to disagree with NSMB being the easiest in the series, Super Mario World was quite a bit easier IMO. If you ignore the powerups, extra lives etc. and focus solely on the difficulty of the level design, SMW was slightly easier, and throwing in the fact that the majority of SMW's levels could be skipped by flying over them makes it a no-brainer. I would also say that SMB 1 and 2 (US) were easier than NSMB, based on their length and the difficulty of their level design.

I disagree, I think Tubular from Special was considerably harder than anything offered by NSMB. Unlocking Soda Lake wasn't too easy either.

Keru_Shiri said:
1. More intense platforming.
2. Secret stages with even more intense platforming.
3. Fewer 1 ups. No saving 1 ups. Make me NEED those coins nintendo!
4. More/varied powerups. Who doesn't remember how badass the hammer suit, or kuribo's shoe was? And we need a flying powerup as well, and no, flying powerups don't make the game easier. Go back and play SMB3, trust me, it was still plenty difficult even with a racoon tail.

Those are the main ones.

Basically the SMB3 route? I can definitely dig that.

They're also welcome to do a "new SMB2".

Mario has never been about the power-ups for me--it's always been about the intricate platforming and level design. Keep on improving those two things, up the difficulty some (or at least include some really tough later levels), and just give me a fire flower. And some improved art direction and music would be nice.

Top Bottom