• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(If you are) Why are you getting a PS4?

A number of reasons. And I apologize in advance, but your two restrictions do come into play here.

1. I'm ready to move on to next gen and Wii U just isn't calling to me for some reason.

2. I don't have enough free time to justify both XB1 and PS4, so it was strictly an either/or situation. One of the two companies gave me more of what I wanted at a price I was willing to pay.

3. Timing. I'm not dying to play the launch titles, but the holidays are coming and my wife's family will be asking for gift ideas, which works out for a second controller and a couple of games. Plus, I'll be off for a couple weeks and actually have time to play.

So I'll be saving mine for Christmas and spending my time off with Knack, Lego Marvel, and DriveClub. Looking forward to it.

Xtars

1. Because I want the best next-gen platform/console
2. Because of SONY's amazing 1st Party Studios
3. Because of PS+
4. Because of the DualShock 4 controller
5. Because I like the gaming philosophy of SONY (compared to others)
6. Because SONY is supporting their consoles until the very end! No matter what!

This is exactly why I want one as well.

Other than that, I'm a game design student and I graduate 1½ year into the new gen, I feel that to stay competitive I need as much experience with the new systems I can get even if it's just playing them and getting an understanding of the good and bad ways to interact with them (touchpad, remote play etc)

I've never been anchored to either side, but for this gen I've chosen the company that hasn't been talking down to me like I'm a fucking idiot. In other words, I'm getting a PS4.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
rime-1377021421.png

Isn't Windwaker HD a Wii U title??

jk

SHARKvince

Neo Member
1. Madly in love with some of SCE's first party studios
2. I want to put my game on it. It's always better to get a feel for the platform first
3. Remote play

It's the better of the two systems being released this fall season for me.

InFamous smashes any game announced for me (been a pretty big InFamous fanboy since the first game though.) and I know Japanese development and Sony's first parties will come with a perfect selection of games for my taste.

I'm also aligned with the thought that independent gaming will be the biggest story in this upcoming generation so Sony seems to be really spearheading that direction in a meaningful way.

... summed up, if it was about the games it would be Dead Rising 3 vs. InFamous for me personally and InFamous wins that battle.

Mihos

Gold Member
This is my reason too.

Side note: I think Microsoft shoulda moneyhatted for an Atlus title - like P5.

I bought an Xbox 360 back in 2008 thinking that it would get all the JRPGs, then I found out about Tales of Graces F and then Ni No Kuni, and now Xillia. Not making the same mistake again, no matter how much I like the Dance Central series.

I will get the xbone eventually, because I am a tool that buys everything, but the JRPG thing is huge for me.

The way MS keep changing stuff right now, I really have no idea what they are even releasing yet.

I'll get one when Infamous hits. Main reason being there has yet to be a PS platform that has dissapointed and when Infamous hits there should be quite a few games to get already.

- Sony's sustained effort with it's first party efforts. I can count on them to deliver great games for the next 7-10 years, right up until the PS5 launch.

- PS+ and it's great instant game collection

- redesigned controller. finally a decent size/layout to play shooters.

- much more support from Japanese developers and more likely to get ports from that region.

- clear message from day1. console for gamers, indie support

Dead Rising is the only 360 exclusive franchise that I enjoyed on my 360, I couldn't give a shit about Halo, Gears, or Forza . Basically the only reason I had a 360 was for a Rock Band machine, and the 360 was half the price of a PS3 then. I'm really hoping for streaming BC to be a reality because there's a lot of PS3 exclusives I want to play.

Basically I'm going next gen for BF4, and after owning a 360 I know that Sony will have more exclusive games that I want to play.

mgcastro

Third party AAA, GT and Uncharted, cheapest high end console.

Edit: Oh, and treats my third world county (not Brazil) as tier 1. :)

SiRatul

Been there with Sony since PS1. Vita is the only available Sony console I haven't bought yet but that will probably change soon. I love the first party games and the variety I get with playstation and PS+ is awesome.
And one thing I really appreciate is their long term support and commitment to each of their consoles. This time around they are even making it very easy for me to like and buy their console cmpared to last time.

Even though Xboxes and Nintendo consoles had appealing games to me every now and then, there were never enough of them to sway me to buy them. Never could justify owning more than one console of a generation.
I'm still a student and I also invest in my PC once in a while for gaming and other things so money is tight.

I usually go with two consoles each generation (not including handhelds). This gen it was Xbox 360 and PS3, the generation before that it was PS2 and Xbox, the generation before that it was PlayStation and Sega Saturn and next gen it'll be Wii U and PS4. Why am I going with PS4? I've enjoyed the PlayStation brand for a very long time so I suppose there's a bit of nostalgia involved but most of all it's about the games and SCE's developers. Knowing that the likes of Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica, Sucker Punch, Guerilla Games, Media Molecule and Japan Studio will be making games for PS4 is enough to persuade me to sign up for another generation with PlayStation.

• Sony First party
  • Always been partial to the DS controller
  • No paywall for apps, if my account ever lapses I can still use, Netflix, amazon instant vid, etc.
  • Hardware
  • They've had a pretty clear focus on gaming

i'll get a xb1 eventually

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Best hardware available.
Sony's track record in hardware.
Both of which will most likely mean it'll get the visually superior version of Final Fantasy, which is the real reason i'll get it.

Also, Naughty Dog, The Order:1886, and eventually Ratchet & Clank.

Ark

I've grown up with PlayStation, I love Sony's diverse IP library, and I'm happy that the Sony console is the most powerful console again.

Nothing the Xbox has interests me. Not even a little bit. I used to think 'wow' when I saw Halo, now I just think 'oh another one'. Gears does nothing for me. Forza? I grew up with Gran Turismo.

Also the online. PS+ is an utterly fantastic service and I've no doubt that'll continue with the PS4, and above all else I'm loving the indie support Sony has. "The Place to Play" indeed.

old

I'll be getting a PS4 eventually because Sony's Playstation platform has the strongest history of JRPG support.

Drake

Naughty Dog. The best dev in the industry right (opinion) now and they make games exclusively for Sony. I don't even care that they haven't announced a game for PS4 yet because when they do and when it comes out it will receive critical acclaim. I haven't played a game made by them that I haven't loved.

iNvid02

this gen needs to die in a fire, thats why

but seriously it just boils down to the games that are exclusive to the platform

Yawnier

Banned
Because Naughty Dog, they are my favorite developer of all time (behind Kojima Productions that is).

I'm also a fan of the games that SSM and Sucker Punch develop.

Then, there's the chance of a PS4 Ratchet akin to ToD/ACiT.

In the end, its all about the games for me really.

I'm not buying one this year though, probably sometime next year.

stay gold

- Powerful yet cheap(ish)
- Cool looking games lineup despite none of the 'big' studios joining the show yet.
- And most importantly, I know that Sony will be giving the PS4 strong first party support in 6/7/8 years time.

I don't get too much game time these days so one system will probably do for me (for a few years anyway), PS4 is my choice for the above reasons.

pcostabel

Gold Member

Same. I was getting one anyway because I'm a Sony Pony, but games like Rime are the reason I prefer Sony platforms. Sony is great at supporting a variety of niche games that might not sell millions but are system seller for some. Ico and Shadow of the Colossus are my favorite games ever.

harSon

Banned
Because I like to play any game that I want to play without having to rely on deep seeded wishes of a port down the line, or completely foregoing the game altogether. I've always been a multi console owner, and I'll continue to be one this upcoming generation.

pushBAK

'The Joy of Play' that Sony's working to get back. Also, I was equally excited for the X360 at launch but was too young to participate. Now that I'm old and with my own finances I'm able to purchase the console at launch.

dogstar

Banned
First party devs mostly... I've been on the 360 for several years and simply want a change. I'm sure both machines will be great, and both will have very good first party games.

Mostly Japanese support is literally the only thing right now. I don't care for Kinect, hardware (as long as it is sustainable I don't care for better graphics etc), or price so games is mostly all I care about.

Xbone seems to have more better games for me personally. If Microsoft goes through with that whole trying to get Japanese support thing, and I see a lot more support for it. I will easily switch over in seconds. Until that happens though, I'll stick with PS4.

I'm still going to get an Xbone eventually because I like having all 3 consoles, but I might get it 2 years later after I get the PS4 and Wii U first.

Anth0ny

I'm impatient and want a next gen console

Not really any launch games I'm interested in. Watch dogs I guess, but I could have picked that up for PC.

itsgreen

It is available.

Seems like a (more) powerful console.

Sony has shown the right attitude from the start.

Goodwill/momentum.

I can justify the costs.

Top Bottom