• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(If you are) Why are you getting a PS4?

Why I'm getting a PS4: Because it will have games that I want to play.

Why I'm getting a PS4 at launch: because it makes me feel nerd-cool.

It sounds like the OP really wants to know why PS4 over XB1, but asking for that reasoning without any XB1 negativity is impossible.

I've pre-ordered both, but my XB1 order makes me feel a bit scummy.

Portugeezer

I need a new system to play next gen games.
It looks like the better console, Sony seem to care more about gamers.
Sony impressed me this gen and I missed out on many of their games.

But price is important, I don't see why I...

Full disclosure: I am getting an Xbox One day 1 and have no interest in the PS4 but want to hear the positives about it from those who are getting it.

... oh. Now I understand.

Mostly because I like what's on offer on the PS4.

I enjoy Sony's first party titles, and I enjoy Japanese games, and I expect it will get a lot of both over it's lifetime.

I'm also a current subscriber of PS+, so they're practically giving me free PS4 games each month which makes it hard to resist.

There's a lot of titles from launch I want as well, first and third party, otherwise I might held off for a year.

Also, it's the cheapest way to play next gen multiplatform titles; I know the OP said to not mention the price, but it's one of the biggest reasons to buy it.

teiresias

+ Sony's past history of first party titles are to my liking
+ Better bang for your buck in terms of hardware/price ratio then the competitors
+ Following from the second pro, console multiplats should look and/or perform better on PS4
+ The media functions I use are not behind a paywall on PS4
+ It's not from a company that tried to destroy consumer ownership rights, despite months of negative reaction to rumors about said policies, and who only changed their stance when piss-poor pre-order numbers came rolling in.

Owzers

Sony likes video games
Microsoft made Rare make avatar clothes
Halo/Fables/Gears was a neat combo....for awhile.
XBL Gold vs PSN+, i like the free games psn+ gives me for vita and now that will carry on to PS4
Standby Mode is going to be great for when i only want to play a game for 20 min at a time.
I have a vita and i will use the remote play feature

my only hesitation for buying at launch is not knowing how loud the ps4 will be, xbox one is allegedly " near silent", i hope ps4 doesn't have the high pitched whine/buzz you can hear in a quiet room. That..and a launch line-up that doesn't have a standout title,though it's full of quality.

I just like being able to play everything, so I buy all the platforms.

Although I still can;t pull the trigger on Wii U. Maybe after the new-console smell wears off these other two....

Love Sony's first party studios.

Big supporter of indies.

It's the most powerful console available.

The launch games (and launch window games) look awesome.

PS+ is a fucking amazing deal.

Sony didn't try to shit on gamers.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
They make good hardware. They have a great 1st party. More likely to get games from Japan. And unlike Microsoft I've always felt Sony has treated me fairly well. Sony doesn't give off the vibe that they are constantly digging around in your wallet for every last fucking dime you have (even if they are they manage to hide it well enough).

AngryMoth

I want next gen graphics in my life. I'm a mac user and don't really have the money to get a decent pc just for playing games.

Sony has a many great first party studios whose games I have loved, and also tend to fund some more diverse artsy projects as well as the blockbusters. Also their newfound love of indies is very promising.

Seems multiplats should generally perform better than on xbox one. Given the architectural similarities this time around ps4 should certainly never get the worst version, so it's a safer bet even if most do end up looking the same. Won't be getting screwed again this time like with skyrim or bayonetta.

And yes, the price. It matters.

Great exclusives and playing them with more bells and whistles. Pretty done with the limitations of last gen.
But Sony has great exclusives for me and great indie games coming.

1) It's more powerful.
2) Sony first party studios produce a lot more games I'm interested in playing.
3) Sony isn't forcing costly unwanted features into the box.

There are few enough legitimate exclusives that I feel like missing a Naughty Dog game is bigger than missing whatever Microsoft has. To be clear, I like Halo, but after Halo 4, I can definitively say I wouldn't care if I missed future Halo games. 343/Microsoft are just making Halo games for the sake of making Halo games - that story is nonsense and serves no purpose. I can get FPS games with nonsensical stories anywhere.

Also, price. Also, I could not possibly care less about Kinect.

• More powerful hardware
  • Friends
  • PS1/2/3
  • First party games like Last of US/GOW/Uncharted
  • Sony addressed every issue I had with PS3
  • Some really nice indie games
  • All Multiplatform games are available on PS4 (COD/BF/FIFA...)
    EDIT:
  • PS+

erawsd

I trust Sony will have a stellar and diverse lineup of games. After 3 generations they haven't failed to deliver, so theres no reason for me not to get a PS4.

I'm a laptop gamer but upgrading those are expensive so I get a console at the start of a generation.

Exclusives for both don't interest me but vita remote play does. I'll be getting one when FF15 or Witcher 3 drops.

Endo Punk

1. Hoping my PS1/2 digital classics carry over.
  2. RIME
  3. Second Son
  4. The Order
  5. SCEJ collaborations... but not Knack
  6. Naughty Dog
  7. Sony Santa Monica
  8. SEGA games because Yakuza
  9. Gaming focused hardware.
  10. The Last Guardian

Sorry indies.

Oh shit, I forgot to add Remote Play on my Vita and the second screen stuff on tablets (think SmartGlass but without the stupid name) looks awesome. Also, game streaming and 15 minutes of recording. And the controller looks amazing. And I'm about sick of this gen.

For the same reason i bought the PSX, the PS2 and the PS3:
Playstation is the motherfuckin tits!

Also extremely pumped for Killzone: Shadow Fall right now.

I'm getting every console because I collect consoles. It makes me happy to be on the cutting edge of video game technology, so I save and purchase what I can with my disposable income. As an adult, it's one of the things that I do partially because I can. I'm not a kid anymore. I can do whatever the fuck I want. My parents only got me and my brothers a couple consoles as kids (perfectly understandable, that shit's expensive) but that didn't stop me from wishing I could have them all. And now I can. It's the same reason every so often I'll decide to have ice cream for dinner. Because I'm a fucking adult now and I can do whatever I want and it's awesome.

I love playing around with new technology, I have the money now and I would buy one for Infamous SS anyway, so might as well grab it day 1 since it won't drop in price between now and the game release.

dude819

- Why not get Titanfall on a PC or even your 360?

- Aren't you aware that, in virtually every COD, the DLC maps are never as good as the base mapset?

- Can't you just watch TV on your TV? And what specifically is it that MS does that you can't do elsehow?

- My friends will also have Titanfall on the Xbox One so I will be playing it there.

- That is not always true. For instance, Cove is probably the best map in Black Ops 2.

- I love the idea of using Skype snapped onto the side of my screen while watching events like football games or UFC "with" my brother, friends, etc. (Obviously this could be accomplished with other devices but I like the way it is done simply in one device.)

• Best Hardware
  • Doesn't need additional annual fee apart from the one i'm paying for "free" Vita games
  • Will inherit my ps3/psv ecosystem (acount, trophies, friends)
  • Will get proper Japanise support
  • Region Free
  • "free" games each month
  • Sony first party

DC1

Nah. I have barely used my PS3, I don't like indie games, I have grown to hate Naughty Dog and I think the UI and online are a complete and utter mess on PSN.

So I have no idea why everyone is so hyped aside from negatives brought up about the Xbox One. Hence the thread and the way it is stated.
Wow..
I was expecting something else...something with a little more depth. .what do the young folk say these days?.. Oh Yes! Something with more gravitas.

Alchemist

• First party studios
  • Third party/Japanese support
  • PlayStation Plus
  • Superior hardware
  • Controller preference
  • No forced camera
  • Share features
  • Everything except online multiplayer is free
  • Vita Remote Play
  • Owned every PlayStation console

• Remote play
  • First party games
  • Crossbuy
  • PS Plus
  • PS1/2/3 catalog
  • Don't need PS+ for media stuff
  • Sony's attitude (that's kind of a nebulous one but I like their attitude)

Top Bottom