• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do devs exclude Xbox One?

Neo_GAF

Banned
I have seen this recently, and i wonder, why devs/publishers are doing this:

so many games are releasing for all platforms except for xbox one.
i could somehow understand the situation, if they would drop ps4 AND xbox one to make users upgrade to the next platform, but as usual, sony platform gets supported to oblivion.
xbox one seemed to have been dropped from last year on.

and considering the fact, that xbox one x is so much more powerful than the ps4pro, it confuses even more, what is going on behind the curtains.

does someone know why>?

PS4 user base >>>> Xbox One user base
Morgan Freeman Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Nvzman

PS4 user base >>>> Xbox One user base
Its a mixture of this and the Xbox One being even more of a pain in the ass to develop for still because of how it would have to support the (extremely underpowered even for its day) 2013 Xbox One. PS4, while old and also a little underpowered for its day, actually has enough power left in it to pull off most new games at 1080p or 900p 30fps. Xbox One was struggling to even do 900p its entire lifespan, its not worth the pain and money optimizing for such a small userbase.

Its a shame though imo because the One X was extremely capable hardware, a lot of cross-gen games would often have the One X either even or ahead of the Series S.

Last edited:
Not worth the effort due to the low install base as majority already moved to the newer consoles or PC? Heck, even the PS4 share of sales have diminished a great deal when looking at those weekly UK sales posts.

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
Here's a little known business 101.

They predict how much revenue a game would make on a platform. Then they determine how much extra it would cost to port the game to that platform. Then scientists use those two numbers and determine if they should bother with that platform or not.
Yeah, this really isn’t a difficult question.

Possible Sony also offers some financial incentive or technical assistance as well, looking to coup that cost from their 30% cut of people who haven’t upgraded yet. They do still want to make money off their entire install base after all. MS historically don’t seem to care about their past generations, so likely won’t offer similar assistance.

Edit— also, of course, the XBO is technically three platforms. The S has a not-insignificant GPU speed upgrade over the original, and any releases need to take both of these into account. It’s just a little extra work for, as mentioned, a smaller install base.

Last edited:

CamHostage

The "can they" answer is whatever; even if the S model is a pain in the ass to come down to, a game ported to PS4 and Switch could be worked out on the One line.

The "should they" answer is where the real answer is, and the OP has already gotten a lot of reasons why a developer shouldn't. I'll give another: the audience moves on. Xbox is a smaller audience, a more specific demographic set, and so the type who would own an Xbox would own a new Xbox, or alternatively they would be done playing games. PS, that audience is more broad, it has kids, it has players who hand their console down to others, it has casual players who turn it on every few months when a new fave comes out or when it's cold or when they go through a phase or are perfectly happy with the graphics they've got on the current console; it has international audiences who would have a hard time getting a new PS console.

PS historically has a long tail; an Xbox usually dies very soon after the next one comes out. Look at for example how FIFA was coming out every year for PS2 until, I don't know, yesterday?

At some point, the market for an older Xbox game just isn't worth the effort (including product support and QA and online servers and other costs,) even if it were essentials free to produce (which isn't the case,) whereas there's a decent chance that somewhere in the world you can find some PlayStation consumers still using the pastgen box.

Last edited:

Fbh

Because they probably have data showing that active users and sales on that platform are so low that it's not worth it to port over.

Also Ps4 is still being manufactured, sold and officially supported by Sony. MS discontinued the One X and One S digital edition in 2020 and then the base One S in 2022. It's a dead product.

nial

Gold Member
Because they probably have data showing that active users and sales on that platform are so low that it's not worth it to port over.

Also Ps4 is still being manufactured, sold and officially supported by Sony. MS discontinued the One X and One S digital edition in 2020 and then the base One S in 2022. It's a dead product.
The base Xbox One S also got discontinued in 2020, we just knew about it in 2022.

Aenima

Dunno if there‘s correlation but maybe because MS themselves pulled the XBO platform off shelves? PS4s are still available to buy.
Its a mix of userbase and this. Sony always supports they last gen console to reach a 10 year life cicle, even if they stop releasing 1st party games on it. MS completly abandons the old console short after a new gen starts. The reason i bailed of the MS ship was because they killed the OG Xbox just 4 years after launch to focus on the X360 just to have a 1 year lead over Sony.

hinch7

Discontinued faster and MS stopped support shortly after the new consoles launch. Plus on the development side I can imagine the slowpoke DDR3 has to a real PITA for both first party and third party to deal with. And if I had to guess thats one of the reasons why Halo Infinite took as long as it did to launch.

Last edited:

mrcroket

Guys... xbox one consoles sold 58 million, that is not a small userbase at all. It's most likely because xbox one s can't run lastest multigen games in a decent way. And one s support is mandatory.

Last edited:

Mokus

The developers would have to put more optimization work in to the X One games because of the different memory architecture. Considering also being significantly weaker and the user base smaller next to the PS4, most likely it's not worth wasting the resources on it.

Means Xbox One is lower than lower denominator, which it always was, DDR3 was a big mistake, crippled it a lot. then add less fillrate and it's a done deal.

Gamepass also means less standalone software sales so that diminishes the demand and profit to be had as well.

RIPN2022

Its a mixture of this and the Xbox One being even more of a pain in the ass to develop for still because of how it would have to support the (extremely underpowered even for its day) 2013 Xbox One. PS4, while old and also a little underpowered for its day, actually has enough power left in it to pull off most new games at 1080p or 900p 30fps. Xbox One was struggling to even do 900p its entire lifespan, its not worth the pain and money optimizing for such a small userbase.

Its a shame though imo because the One X was extremely capable hardware, a lot of cross-gen games would often have the One X either even or ahead of the Series S.
Yep, I remember when AC Black Flag launched at 1080p 30 FPS on PS4 and 720p 30 FPS on One. That was 2013.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Guys... xbox one consoles sold 58 million, that is not a small userbase at all. It's most likely because xbox one s can't run lastest multigen games in a decent way. And one s support is mandatory.

The active userbase is going to be a LOT smaller than that at this point.

While the PS4 active userbase has shrunk too, it's going to be way bigger than those still buying games on XBO.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Common sense, console is too weak, they probably know most Xbox players have been on Series and PC and have data to backup that up

mrcroket

The active userbase is going to be a LOT smaller than that at this point.

While the PS4 active userbase has shrunk too, it's going to be way bigger than those still buying games on XBO.
Unsubstantiated assertion. 117 million PS4 plus 58 million xbox give almost 180 million consoles of the previous generation, between PS5 and Xbox Series have sold just under 65 million. That leaves about 115 million users who have not made the leap to the new generation.

Most people only buy one of the big consoles, and the ratio of sold consoles of ps4/xbone and ps5/xbs are pretty similar.

Patrick S.

Banned
Yep, I remember when AC Black Flag launched at 1080p 30 FPS on PS4 and 720p 30 FPS on One. That was 2013.
It was 720p on the Xbox? I think I remember reading at the time it was 900p. Anyway, got this on the Xbox One when it came out, and it didn't have the soft image you get with super low resolution, but it had HORRIBLE aliasing. Everything was pixelated and serrated. It was so bad I stopped playing after 2-3 missions and got it for the PC instead.

Last edited:

mrcroket

I think he's just connecting obvious dots. But, tell us, why do YOU think publishers are putting games on PS4, but not Xbox One, despite also being on both PS5 and Series X.

Maybe they all just forgot?
As I said before, possibly because the xbox one s version doesn't reach the minimum acceptable level of quality.

El Muerto

Gotta do what's profitable. More ps4 users than those on the Xbox one. Also the OS in the Xbone takes up too much resources and it has DDR3 ram where the ps4 has GDDR5. This is why the ps4 version of a game runs a bit better than the Xbone version.

diffusionx

Gold Member
It's a piece of shit and it sold badly.
It was 720p on the Xbox? I think I remember reading at the time it was 900p. Anyway, got this on the Xbox One when it came out, and it didn't have the soft image you get with super low resolution, but it had HORRIBLE aliasing. Everything was pixelated and serrated. It was so bad I stopped playing after 2-3 missions and got it for the PC instead.
There were massive issues with the IQ on launch Xbox One games, like they had this horrid sharpening filter that they applied to poorly make up for the low res. For example Dead Rising 3 which was 720p.

As I said before, possibly because the xbox one s version doesn't reach the minimum acceptable level of quality.
Yet, somehow often the Switch is fine? You really think if the Xbox One has 120 million consoles out there and PS4 had 50, publishers would still just do the PS4 version?

i could somehow understand the situation, if they would drop ps4 AND xbox one to make users upgrade to the next platform, but as usual, sony platform gets supported to oblivion.
xbox one seemed to have been dropped from last year on.

and considering the fact, that xbox one x is so much more powerful than the ps4pro, it confuses even more, what is going on behind the curtains.

does someone know why>?

The PS4 has sold through 117.2 million consoles to customers worldwide (Sony stopped reporting PS4 sales 1.5 years ago~, it obviously must be more now) and the Xbox One has sold through 58 million + consoles to customers worldwide (as of June 2023)

The majority of MAU's and DAU's on Xbox One who purchase games must have moved on to the new Series consoles, PC or PS5. They hold the purchasing diaspora of new Indies and AAA titles upfront/day 1, which publishers make the most money from.

The remaining minority (maybe even in the millions) are not sustainable enough to fund a port, for Japanese publishers and Indies. You might see a few western publishers bring their heavy hitters over though.

Edit - Oh, and the Xbox One X is not "so much more powerful than the PS4 Pro". One X has a Polaris 30 (cut down custom variant, think RX 580) and the PS4 Pro has an Ellesmere (cut down custom variant, think RX 470) for GPU's. These are low end GPU's even for their time at launch. One X has 4GB more VRAM than Pro and slightly more bandwidth for a 4K framebuffer to be easy, but the performance will obviously take a hit and stick to 30 fps for most games because of the dogshit Jaguar tablet CPU cores of 2013 inside both these consoles, bottlenecking the GPU's.

Last edited:
Top Bottom