• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you didn't buy Excite Truck, you are part of the problem.

Dave Long

Banned
Holy shit! I've done a 1440, but I didn't think anyone would get more than one more rotation beyond that. My god!

That truck is a great pick to do it, though, and that's one of the highest and longest jumps if you hit it right. I can think of one other where you might be able to get that kind of revolution.

excite truck was one of those pleasant surprises, one of those game syo upick up just to have something different, but end up dropping everything else just to play more... or it was for me.

Pud

Banned
AniHawk said:
So, right now, I JUST learned about air spins.

W.T.F.

You obviously did not complete the full training, have you? I've got a checkmark and/or an S rating in every portion of that game :D

AniHawk

Pud said:
You obviously did not complete the full training, have you? I've got a checkmark and/or an S rating in every portion of that game :D

I pretty much got to the Diamond Cup, beat it, and stopped playing (because my other Wii games were calling to me).

Right now I'm playing Justice For All and Zelda (and Hotel Dusk soon enough), but Excite Truck is one of those games I KNOW I'll come back too.

Sonki.

Banned
Biggest reason as to why it hasn't been bought:

Was playing it at EB thinking... hey.. I like this... And then realized I could do this exact same thing in my Motorstorm Demo on my PS3. Tilt control was pretty good though.. And I just love the "midway style" arcade feel to it.

Yes it did remind me a lot of hydro thunder and RUSH 2049 (which is my fav racing game of all time :p).

I just have no room for motorstorm AND excite truck. Maybe the discount bin.

Pud

Banned
Sonki. said:
Biggest reason as to why it hasn't been bought:

Was playing it at EB thinking... hey.. I like this... And then realized I could do this exact same thing in my Motorstorm Demo on my PS3. Tilt control was pretty good though.. And I just love the "midway style" arcade feel to it.

Yes it did remind me a lot of hydro thunder and RUSH 2049 (which is my fav racing game of all time :p).

I just have no room for motorstorm AND excite truck. Maybe the discount bin.

I played the demo for Motorstorm and said the exact same thing, in reverse. ExciteTruck is about 10000 times more fun, to me, than the incredibly slow-paced (i.e. boring) Motorstorm that I played. The graphics advantage did nothing for me.

AniHawk

Motorstorm was far too slow for me, too. I could never get into "real" racers. The arcadey ones like Burnout have always been the ones that caught my eye.

Kangu

Banned
There is a serious disconnect between the controls and the trucks movement in EXCITING TRUCK. The game would be 100x better with a joystick from what I've played.

Sonki.

Banned
Pud said:
I played the demo for Motorstorm and said the exact same thing, in reverse. ExciteTruck is about 10000 times more fun, to me, than the incredibly slow-paced (i.e. boring) Motorstorm that I played. The graphics advantage did nothing for me.

Well I've played the motorstorm demo in stores and I've played the demo in my house. They feel different but maybe that's my imagination. The store version felt slow and framerate sucked. At home it feels faster and framerate doesn't chug.. Again.. it could be my imagination.

I really like Motorstorm over ExciteTruck for one reason... It has a really cool Sega Arcade feel. Almost like a Sega Rally. A good cross between sim and Arcade.

But I've only played demos of both. Can't say which one is better.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
There is a serious disconnect between the controls and the trucks movement in EXCITING TRUCK.

a few people have mentioned this and it felt perfectly natural to me - it's like how i move the pad when i'm playing on regular controls anyways!

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Kangu said:
There is a serious disconnect between the controls and the trucks movement in EXCITING TRUCK. The game would be 100x better with a joystick from what I've played.

This is so not the case I have to wonder what game you played.

Don't diss Red Steel. If people would get the control scheme down (which isn't that hard) they'de realize it's a pretty damn fun game.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
underfooter said:
Don't diss Red Steel. If people would get the control scheme down (which isn't that hard) they'de realize it's a pretty damn fun game.

I agree with this man's comment except I wish it had a better story but hey, its FPS we are talking about.

Xellotah

AlternativeUlster said:
I agree with this man's comment except I wish it had a better story but hey, its FPS we are talking about.

Just completed it yesterday. I thought the story was quite complete myself, a good sense of closure.

Lobster

Banned
POWERSPHERE said:
Why is this a February 22nd release for us Aussies? I just don't get that kind of delay...

ONLINE CONFIRMED!...

Its cause we're getting kororinpa and wing island. Americas not.

:p

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
http://bestof.ign.com/2006/wii/36.html

et3jq.gif

Pud said:

Yeah, Motorstorm is far too slow to be interesting. Even for a realistic racer.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
I will add this to my list of games to get next even though I have yet to play through Elebits, Dragon Ball, and WarioWare yet. And f*ck, Hotel Dusk is out now isn't it? It would suck to have AIDS right now.

maxmars said:
So nobody wants to answer my question on FPSs?

Ah, I was gonna answer but I figured someone else would get ya. It's nowhere near a locked 60 FPS. I don't know if it ever dips as low as 20, but it seems to shift between 30-60 depending on what's going on.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
A fun, pick up and play arcade racer... The deforming environment, insane jumps, and drifting mechanics are really awesome. I've got a few complaints - if you merely hit a tree, you'll stop (unless you're boosting)... and sometimes it's really hard to follow the track and you'll steer off course. Well, these complaints can be fixed in the hopefully-inevitable Excite Truck 2. And I thought this game was somewhat of a hit?

hard to follow the track is half the fun. big wide open courses is one of the things that makes excite truck, well, excite truck.

my wife asked to have a go yesterday after being put off by how extreme it looked, and for generally not having like racing games at all in the past, and she really enjoyed it.

a few races and she was driving better than i'd ever seen her before using an analogue stick, and having fun to boot. we were over at a friends with my wii and she was a bit disapointed that i didn't set my wii up when we got in, because she was hoping to play excite truck today while i was at work.

EXCITE

dyls

I'll join the ranks of the converted. Really fun game, has that great FZero GX-esque 'right on the edge of being completely out of control then somehow saving it' feeling that's very satisfying, and the motion controls are so buttery.

I've only played the in-store Motorstorm demo, which I'm told is an old one, but Excite Truck absolutely shits on the speed and handling of what I played.

Top Bottom