• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you have a gaming PC, is there really any reason to own an Xbox?

HF2014

Only thing i miss of not having an XB1 on my PC is a real Forza Motorsport game. Apex is not bad but its like a third of a game, but hey... its free!

Backwards compatibility is the big one, but I feel like if that's all you need it for, you're better off buying a cheap, used 360.

Also, I feel like most 360 games ended up eventually coming to PC anyway. I know there are a lot of exceptions, such as Halo, but there are a lot fewer exclusives than on, for example, the PS3.

Trago

Media capabilities and backwards compatibility. I'd get one for the UHD player personally.

Other than that, I have no reason to get one. At the same time, I wish Microsoft's PC efforts didn't suck what with UWP and all that.

DrCheese

I've thought about flogging my xbox one and just getting a shield or something like it to stream games from the PC to the TV downstairs if I really wanted to play on the couch, anyone else done something similar?

My xbox just gathers dust nowadays :/

Patrick S.

Banned
Backwards compatibility is the big one, but I feel like if that's all you need it for, you're better off buying a cheap, used 360.

Also, I feel like most 360 games ended up eventually coming to PC anyway. I know there are a lot of exceptions, such as Halo, but there are a lot fewer exclusives than on, for example, the PS3.

Red Dead Redemption on bc is godly.

a.wd

Yes, as I dont want a PC under my telly.

Also Cross play, EA Access, TV pass through, Backwards Compatibility, games etc etc.

Patrick S.

Banned
TV pass through

That's the one feature I sadly don't understand. Why do I need to buy a stick to plug into my Xbox so I can watch TV on my TV?

Michigan-Hype-Video-Xzibit.png

I have friends that play on Xbox, I like having it for media reasons, backwards compatibility is there for old 360 games I still have, and there are certain games I don't want to play on PC and would rather play on console.

So for me, it's the best of both worlds.

Majine

Banned
That's the one feature I sadly don't understand. Why do I need to buy a stick to plug into my Xbox so I can watch TV on my TV?

So you don't have to switch inputs all the time.

Having the TV as an "app" in my Xbox makes my TV feel a little more unified, even if it's a long way ahead until it truly is.

Sydle

OneGuide shits on the TWC guide from great heights and almost never having to change TV inputs (only for Wii U) is a bonus.

yes. all the same reasons to own an xbox one when you don't have a pc.

what people are most likely to buy and own an ipad? iphone user!
xbox one exclusives on pc is one more reason to buy or own an xbox one. not a reason getting rid of it. no real xbox user is doing that, because it's not worth it.
the console is the lowest part of investment in the ecosystem.

Rellik

I have and Xbox One S that I really like, but I am a computer science major and plan on building a gaming PC in the near future. I already own a PS4 and the Nintendo hardware, but the XB1S has become my main console. It makes me not want to buy any games for the Xbox since I know that the GTX 1070 rig is inbound. My question is, is there really any reason to hold onto the Xbox?

Edit: I don't have a 4K tv and have no plans to get one anytime soon.

If you have a 1070 inbound and you have no issue using the horrendous Windows Store, then you have no reason to have an Xbox.

I sold mine the moment they stopped having exclusives.

Patrick S.

Banned
So you don't have to switch inputs all the time.

Having the TV as an "app" in my Xbox makes my TV feel a little more unified, even if it's a long way ahead until it truly is.

Having to have the Xbox turned on to watch TV seems incredibly wasteful. My electric bill is already high enough :( I'd maybe give it a try as a novelty, but my TV is using its internal tuner, so I probably couldn't even if I wanted.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I thought about getting one. It would be a machine that can play 4K UHD blu-rays and FFXV, so like killing two birds in one stone.

UHD bluray player
Backwards compatibility
Better online community for MS published games

Otherwise, go PC if that's what you prefer. MS will still be making money from their games and controller. The PC and console overlap is pretty small anyway outside enthusiast forums like this.

Gitaroo

I normally buy any new system on day 1, but probably use the scorpio money to buy a new gpu next year. Just keep my xbone s around for the occasional odd exclusive that is only on xbox. BC is nice but if you had been a pc gamers for the last 5 years you probably have those games on your pc already.

Ushay

Controller preference
HDR on a big screen
Backwards Compatibility
Achievements for all games
Live multiplayer, still arguably the best imo
Shared saves for some games between console and PC games (play anywhere)

It's ultimately about preferences really. Try not to get a headache over and just play where you want.

I live in a country with small online communities (Australia). I play games often on my PC, but bought an Xbox One because I didnt think it'd be possible for me to get regular online games in Overwatch and Gears 4 on PC. This was my logic for CoD too, but I didnt buy that game this year.

Complete list of Xbox One exclusives not on PC (minus Kinect-only titles and a couple of Japan-only titles):
Clash
Crimson Dragon
Forza Motorsport 5
Halo: The Master Chief Collection
Halo 5: Guardians
Powerstar Golf
Raiden V
Rare Replay
Sunset Overdrive
+ Xbox 360 Backwards Compatibility (and if you don't have a 360, add Zoo Tycoon and Forza Horizon 2 and Screamride to the above list)

Confirmation that if I do purchase a console besides my Wii U it will be a PS4.

Or the NX, lol.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
It plays Physical Discs that aren't tied to licenses so I can rent, buy, resell, lend a friend, etc.

We already forget the controversy pre-launch?

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
I have a decent gaming PC (i5 4690K 4GHz CPU / 16GB of RAM / GTX 970) but I would absolutely consider getting an XB1 because of the state of most of the Windows Store games on W10.

At this stage esp with the arrival of the PS4 Pro (which provides super sampling image quality on my 1080p HDTV) I would just rather do all my gaming on console. PC gaming is much better than it was a decade ago but there's still a multitude of issues you can run into which get in the way of actually playing and enjoying the game. I'm also prone to the almost OCD tweaking of graphical settings which has actually ruined my enjoyment of some games to get that consistent 60fps (Arkham Knight, Ryse and RotTR esp).

Yes console games are mostly limited to 30fps but I honestly don't care about 60fps any more, at least not enough to go through the hassle of spending hours optimising settings for each individual game.

TheYanger

I live in a country with small online communities (Australia). I play games often on my PC, but bought an Xbox One because I didnt think it'd be possible for me to get regular online games in Overwatch and Gears 4 on PC. This was my logic for CoD too, but I didnt buy that game this year.

To be fair, for cod that's probably true. Overwatch was always going to have a bigger PC base because blizzard.

I have Forza, ReCore, Killer Instinct, Quantum Break, and Gears of War on PC... The only thing it's really missing as far as I'm concerned is Single Player Halo.

If they want to release the Halo games on PC I'll be more than happy to buy them in order to play the story I've missedout on not owning an Xbox since the OG...

That said, it's not worth buying an Xbox One just for that, though...

jayvo

Controller preference
HDR on a big screen
Backwards Compatibility

It's ultimately about preferences really. Try not to get a headache over and just play where you want.

All of these are reasons why I prefer Xbox over my PC with 980 Ti. Don't get me wrong, I still play some thing son my PC, but Xbox is my preferred system.

All of these are reasons why I prefer Xbox over my PC with 980 Ti. Don't get me wrong, I still play some thing son my PC, but Xbox is my preferred system.

I use the Xbox One S controller on PC... plus BC is much better on PC than Xbox... other than those two, though, that's a legit list.

Rellik

Controller preference
HDR on a big screen
Backwards Compatibility

Controller preference? I'm using an Xbox Elite controller on my PC games.

Nope. It's a convenience thing for me. Also I am more comfy playing shooters on controller. So I still gravitate towards my XB1. Can't wait for Scorpio too. Still...nope.

I have an Xbox One controller hooked to my PC for that purpose.

Sometimes I want one to play Sunset Overdrive and Rare Replay, I guess. It's hard to justify a console purchase for two games I'm only mildly interested in.

GHG

Gold Member
The only reason I still have mine is because the windows store is nothing but trash.

So yeh, until that changes I'm keeping my xbox one but would obviously prefer to not have to. BC is nice but realistically I don't have time to play everything. Also, no pgr3/4 BC yet.

Bgamer90

Banned

I personally feel it's worth it just for the ability to open up a game invite and quickly jump into a game after watching a TV show. Quickly jumping from games/apps/TV is convieniet. The Xbox One's guide is also MUCH better than most guides on TVs and cable boxes.

GHG

Gold Member
I personally feel it's worth it just for the ability to open up a game invite and quickly jump into a game after watching a TV show. Quickly jumping from games/apps/TV is convieniet. The Xbox One's guide is also MUCH better than most guides on TVs and cable boxes.

*Only in the USA.

1.) Do you have friends/family that play on XOne? Do you want to continue playing with them? If so, you have to keep a XOne on deck.

2.) Do you want to play PC/XOne exclusives via Microsoft Store? That's a gamble at best.

scoobs

Controller preference
HDR on a big screen
Backwards Compatibility

I am curious why people still believe this to be true. How is XBL an upgrade over free MP gaming on PC? I really couldn't even tell you how its better than PSN at this point, they're the same thing.

jax

Banned
Uhh yes? Tons of exclusives, backwards compatibility, EA Access, cross play titles, HDMI IN & Cuphead and Xbox on PC.. if you have a PC you essentially need an Xbox. That's like peanut butter without jelly, Holmes.

Edit: I don't play for live either cause the best online games (gears, forza, halo) are on PC.

Also Xbox one games go on sale way more often than. PS4 games in my experience. For XV for like $20. You need a console for exclusives OP, and it might as well be the Xbox cause it works great with Windows 10.

Kazooie

Banned
Halo 6
Xbox 360 compatible
4k Blu Ray
4k streaming
Cross play with PC - start a game in your gaming room, finish it in your bedroom.

It's a good console and for £200 you can get the 500gb bundled with 2 games. Not bad since that includes a Bluetooth controller that you can use on PC.

UHD bluray player
Backwards compatibility
Better online community for MS published games

Otherwise, go PC if that's what you prefer. MS will still be making money from their games and controller. The PC and console overlap is pretty small anyway outside enthusiast forums like this.
^This

Top Bottom