• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you have a gaming PC, is there really any reason to own an Xbox?

scoobs

Halo 6
Xbox 360 compatible
4k Blu Ray
4k streaming
Cross play with PC - start a game in your gaming room, finish it in your bedroom.

It's a good console and for £200 you can get the 500gb bundled with 2 games. Not bad since that includes a Bluetooth controller that you can use on PC.

If Gears came to PC, I really don't see how Halo isn't coming as well.

DocSeuss

The Xbox One is my most-used console. I briefly ran my PS4 to play the Resident Evil demo, but that's about it.

The Xbox One still has exclusives, gives out a bunch of free games, and, more importantly, has backwards compatibility, so there's a metric crapton of stuff to engage with. It's honestly the best console out there right now.

I also use plex as my media server, and the Xbox One's app is the best version I've encountered of that; great way to watch all my stuff on TV without having to change my audio cables or discs.

I'm also really wild about the ability to switch games. Sometimes I'm in the mood to play at my computer. Other times, my console. The whole Play Anywhere thing does a great job at that.

The Xbox One is honestly the best console that's ever been made, because it works so beautifully with my PC. It's a perfect compliment.

oti

Banned
The Win10 Store is so bad that it's worth it for me. The console is dirt cheap anyway and Xbox exclusives drop in price immediately over here in Germany. I just bought Gears 4 and Horizon 3 as a bundle for 50€ at GameStop. They can't get rid of their stock. I'll play through the games and use them for trade-in deal.

I am curious why people still believe this to be true. How is XBL an upgrade over free MP gaming on PC? I really couldn't even tell you how its better than PSN at this point, they're the same thing.

It isn't. It's still better than PSN, but neither come close to PC and the myriad of options available for communication, from Steam to Teamspeak to Mumble and everything in between, with proper keyboards, every controller and any kind of mic you can find.

Skelter

Banned
Halo 6
Xbox 360 compatible
4k Blu Ray
4k streaming
Cross play with PC - start a game in your gaming room, finish it in your bedroom.

It's a good console and for £200 you can get the 500gb bundled with 2 games. Not bad since that includes a Bluetooth controller that you can use on PC.

Don't care for anything but the 4K player....which is why I bought one.

Still, there's a good chance if someone is mostly a PC gamer then they never had 360 games. I sure don't. I do love the Play Anywhere initiative though. I bought an Xbox One, 1TB, and Gears 4 for $270 but get to play Gears on my PC. S

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I have a pc and xbox one. Recently sold my ps4 to fund the xb1s. Pc is a 6700K/16GB/1070. I bought an xbox one because there were no more exclusive PS4 titles i was interested in. Played driveclub, tlou, bloodborne, until dawn, uncharted, infamous, killzone etc. I know microsoft are bringing a lot of xbox games to windows like forza, halo, recore, quantum break, horizon 3, gears of war which is great but i bought the xb1 to play halo mcc, halo 5, and some 360 games i had lying about like fallout 3/new vegas, skate 3, red dead redemption, halo reach.

None of those games are on pc except fallout 3/nv. I have them but couldnt be bothered with the hassle of fixing them to get them working. You could also argue halo 5 is on pc but it's not the full game. No campaign and not so great multiplayer. Maybe when they get around to adding a server browser.

So yeah there was a reason for me to get one. Maybe not for you.

scoobs

It isn't. It's still better than PSN, but neither come close to PC and the myriad of options available for communication, from Steam to Teamspeak to Mumble and everything in between, with proper keyboards, every controller and any kind of mic you can find.

Would you care to explain in what ways it is clearly better than PSN? Their feature sets are exactly the same at this point, as far as i can tell it comes down to where your friends are playing and that is about it.

I think there is. The Windows Store/UWP platform is such headache it's not worth it. I don't own an Xbox One and never will, but their effort on PC is atrocious.

What a stupid thing to say. If you have only been playing on pc you've missed out on a lot of fantastic games. If you're not interested in any of the exclusives then that's a different story.
Maybe, but I already have more than I can beat in a lifetime on the PC.

mikelarry

I faced this dilemma as well and decided to sell my xbox one.

I didn't use BC as much as I thought i would

The two games I was looking forward to playing on my xbox one were crackdown 3 and gears. I didn't see the point of owning one for just two games

after the announcement of play anywhere that was the final nail in the coffin for me. I know ms backtracked on this so how they handle future play anywhere titles will determine if I stay being a consumer on thier xbox platform

I think I am falling out of love with consoles in general as they are losing what made them more viable to owning a PC. Why would i pay for a scorpio or pspro when I can invest that money to improve my gaming Pc and get better value and results

Rizific

For the uhd bluray player, sure. If I had known Ms was going to be doing the play anywhere stuff I sure as hell wouldn't have bought an x1.

Are there Xbox One exclusives that you want to play? The decision seems simple to me.

It's strange that this question is a somewhat common thread.

Would you care to explain in what ways it is clearly better than PSN? Their feature sets are exactly the same at this point, as far as i can tell it comes down to where your friends are playing and that is about it.
Yeah they're pretty much the same nowadays. Although I did note that the audio quality in party chats is way better on Xbox. Maybe cause they're on dedis? I dunno

scoobs

Are there Xbox One exclusives that you want to play? The decision seems simple to me.

It's strange that this question is a somewhat common thread.

I think there are probably a lot of XB1 & PC owners who are trying to decide if they should sell their consoles and move exclusively to PC. Probably just trying to get some reassurance that they're not making a big mistake

a.wd

That's the one feature I sadly don't understand. Why do I need to buy a stick to plug into my Xbox so I can watch TV on my TV?

Michigan-Hype-Video-Xzibit.png

You don't?

Works well with sky, bt, virgin and Freeview/freesat in the UK

By the way how many of these "confused" Xbox has no games/buy a gaming pc/this console is rubbish threads have popped up in the last few days?

border

Sure, if you want to own the definitive version of Red Dead Redemption. Or for any other number of 360-era classics that will never be remastered on consoles or emulated on PCs.

As a general media player, I think the Xbox One pretty easily outshines the competition as well.

Tizoc

Complete list of Xbox One exclusives not on PC (minus Kinect-only titles and a couple of Japan-only titles):
Clash
Crimson Dragon
Forza Motorsport 5
Halo: The Master Chief Collection
Halo 5: Guardians
Powerstar Golf
Raiden V
Rare Replay
Sunset Overdrive
+ Xbox 360 Backwards Compatibility (and if you don't have a 360, add Zoo Tycoon and Forza Horizon 2 and Screamride to the above list)

Yeah this, IHMO, are a good reason to own an X1.

It's worth it because:

Past and future exclusives (keep in mind that not all games will be Play Anywhere)
Backwards compatibility
Some play anywhere titles are broken / inferior on PC
Forza Horizon 3 performance was never fixed and you can't get stable 60fps, the only way to get stable fps is 30fps lock, but that introduced big input lag.
Gear 4 PC community is dead, they were testing cross play, but they might implement it or they might not. In any case ranked playlists are completely dead on PC.

oti

Banned
Yeah this, IHMO, are a good reason to own an X1.

Everything from now on will be on PC too. There will be a new Halo so if someone doesn't want to play Halo right now, I wouldn't use that as an argument for buying a piece of hardware that does the same thing but worse.

Xbox 360 BC is nice though if one cares about it.

Rathorial

There are some reasons to still own an Xbox, but the list has shrunk with the play anywhere initiative, and frankly if you have limited funds your money would be better spent on a PS4 or WiiU/Switch since you'll get access to another batch of exclusives you otherwise wouldn't.

Xbone still has some exclusives pre-play anywhere like Sunset Overdrive & Halo Master Collection. 4K Blu-ray Support will likely come to PC in the future, but it is available on Xbone S now. Due to Windows Store still being a growing pains platform, you're also likely going to get smaller multiplayer communities in PC version games without cross-play, but that's at least improving.

Honestly your best bet with an Xbone is as a more portable companion device for your PC, unless you have powerful laptop or something...then I guess the reasons shrink even more.

I can see three or four good reasons but they aren't going to be viable for every person. They certainly don't count for me:

1) Physical media and preowned. You can pick up something like Titanfall 2 at launch, play through the campaign, and sell it days after for a large proportion of what you paid at launch.

2) Multiplayer. The PC communities for console-led multiplayer games are arguably not as large as on console. In the case of less successful games like Evolve they are dire. Games like Destiny aren't available on PC either. It's the same situation on console for PC-led multiplayer games too, of course, but I'm assuming you already have a gaming PC and thus reap the benefits by default.

3) 360 Backwards compatibility.

4) 4k blu ray on the One S. A gaming PC could double as a media centre, but it'd be a very inefficient one for the job, kind of like if you only used your gaming PC for light word processing.

i guess thats what you get when you release 80gb game on mobile store nobody wants to use

Huh, mobile and tablets are definitely an afterthought for Windows 10. Not the argument I'd use...

CloudWolf

I use mine for blu-rays, Netflix, Rock Band and the occassional Rare Collection. But in general, probably not, unless you really want to play old Rare games and/or heavily invested into Rock Band in the past.

EDIT: And Sunset Overdrive of course, that's a damn good game.

flkraven

If you never plan on playing Xbox 360 games or currently released exclusives ever again (ie, the old halos, gears, rare replay, etc), then there is probably no reason to have one other than ease of use over pc.

I have a high end gaming PC and an Xbox one since launch. I find the xbox much more of a social gaming platform and use it mostly for playing with groups of 3-5 friends online. I always will go PC for single player graphically impressive games but I do find the multiplayer aspects are better on Xbox especially since it is much less common to encounter cheaters.

prudislav

Huh, mobile and tablets are definitely an afterthought for Windows 10. Not the argument I'd use...
was not talking about windows itself, just about that abomination of a store which is pretty much just riff of appstore tranmsplanted to PC .... and fairly inferior even to GfWL marketplace .. let alone the launch states of actuall PC gaming stores/clients like Steam/Uplay/Origin

gypsygib

I have a PC and PS4.

Consoels generally have bigger online communities in games like Titanfall 2, COD, Fifa etc. And you have Halo if you're into that.

But since I built my PC last November, I haven't bought a single PS4 game and use it mostly as a Netflix box.

Grief.exe

Still waiting for both console to justify themselves. A difficult proposition in the modern era where development budgets have ballooned to such a degree which makes a multiplatform release on PC an economic necessity.

As owner of a gaming PC and Xbox One S (and PS4) - yes, of course! It's worth it for BC and Xbone exclusives and the apps/features (especially 4k UHD streaming and bluray).

BUT I work in IT and when I get home I prefer sitting on my couch in front of my 55" and surround sound with a console-style environment.

I enjoy gaming more on a console anyway.

Side note: Xbox One S + Windows 10 + Lumia 950 phone is an awesome integration experience. I think they complement each other.

Not really. Some good deals on the XB1 S but I just couldn't find a reason to get one when I can play stuff on PC. (Bought a 3DS XL instead)

Grief.exe

As owner of a gaming PC and Xbox One S (and PS4) - yes, of course! It's worth it for BC and Xbone exclusives and the apps/features (especially 4k UHD streaming and bluray).

BUT I work in IT and when I get home I prefer sitting on my couch in front of my 55" and surround sound with a console-style environment.

I enjoy gaming more on a console anyway.

Side note: Xbox One S + Windows 10 + Lumia 950 phone is an awesome integration experience. I think they complement each other.

What year is it?

Maxim726X

Honestly, the only reason I'm even considering getting one is to play split-screen Halo.

If Masterchief Collection ever releases on the PC, I guess I'm good.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I've got a PC with a core i7 6900K plus 1080p and a PS4 Pro. The only reason why I'm interested in the Xbox One S is as a cheap UHD player, not as a gaming console. It doesn't have enough horse power to compete with the others and the exclusives aren't there. Only game I'd ever buy was that Insomniac game.

Lister

Banned
What year is it?

But that guy definitely timed warped in from 2005, complete whit the bullshit, canned IT response thing too. I'm surprised he didn't go all angular graphics on us.

90% of GAF has 980ti's in SLI, work in IT, and, most importantly, just prefer the "console lifestyle".

anthraxus

Banned
Never even got a PS4/Xbox one and I don't even have a modern PC that can play all the 'latest & greatest' .

I'm still good with the combination of that and older consoles though, as there's so much I've yet to play and like 90 something % of the new AAA stuff doesn't even appeal to me anyway.

Top Bottom