• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you love old photos and posters, this will blow your mind

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolKane

scorcho said:
for a depressing look at progress, here's the same street today sans brownstowns. only the large office building in the background of the hipsters pic remains.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/424079/badnyc.jpg[/mg]

[url]http://goo.gl/99IAa[/url][/QUOTE]

urban renewal, smh

commedieu

Banned
I must say. The color photos are spectacularly vivid.

I thought these were reshoots of the past, with HDRI/post sort of touch ups done. But man, these are beautiful.

Jesus.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
11201v.jpg

This might be the most gorgeous photo I've seen in a long time.

Rapstah

I just can't get past this photo from the Russian old colour photo archive:

p87-5006.jpg

This man is 84 years old. The photo was taken in 1909.

He was born in 1825.

Prez

Some photocrom photos:

New York, 1900
3g04637v.jpg

Amsterdam, between 1890 and 1900
3g02127v.jpg

Antwerp, between 1890 and 1900
3g02126v.jpg

Ezduo

Banned
I will have one of those pictures of 52nd street from 48 as my wallpaper by the end of the night if it kills me. Gorgeous. I've always loved pictures from the 40's and 50's, something about the fashion, culture, and technology is just incredibly....nostalgic? Just intoxicating.

WedgeX

Banned
I've been a tad homesick for the Detroit area, and the Detroit Publishing photos...well, one might just make it on my wall.

That is, if I can find an awesome one. Which has been difficult.

edit.

This one might look nice in a frame.

4a09641r.jpg

tino

Banned
You know what's amazing about the old photos? People stop and stage a pose for the photo shoots. You can tell exactly how a person's job is, what his personality is by the staged pose and props.

People don't do that anymore.

Rapstah said:
This man is 84 years old. The photo was taken in 1909.

He was born in 1825.

I envy the people in 500 years or so who can look back at photos and films. It must be mind blowing. But then it will probably be something normal for them. Or maybe not. Even today i get time travel goose bumps from watching old films that are not even 100 years old.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Ezduo said:
I will have one of those pictures of 52nd street from 48 as my wallpaper by the end of the night if it kills me. Gorgeous. I've always loved pictures from the 40's and 50's, something about the fashion, culture, and technology is just incredibly....nostalgic? Just intoxicating.

Yes, until recently even poor people knew how to dress. They would wear fake cuffs and fake shirts (just the collar) under their suits, cause it was cheaper than owning a full suit. But people knew: if you went out, you had to dress properly, and there were rules to follow. We had a more rigid and structured society, so this went all the way down into how people dressed. Look at any old family pictures and you see people rather well dressed, and the pictures themselves are usually rather formal. Compare them to today's pictures of people wearing a pair of shorts, a t-shirt with some giant random logo on it, sitting on the edge of the table with a beer in hand:p

Anyway I love that color picture of New York with all the reflections. I have been looking for something to print since I have a gift card from a nearby printshop, so I might print that and frame it or laminate it.

edit: Crap, the highres version is too blurry:(

Shiv47

There's only a huge TIFF of this otherwise, but here's the Graf Zeppelin flying over Washington DC:

5a38793r.jpg

And the Navy's airship Los Angeles entering its hangar. I love seeing the shots of the classic dirigibles.

6a32983r.jpg

Log4Girlz

Man, we are all just frozen in time, like statues. One day when I have passed, someone will look at my photo and wonder what it was like to live in my era, so many centuries ago.

Shiv47 said:

Erotic.

Chichikov

shanshan310 said:
Excuse me for my ignorance, but how are they colouring the pictures? It looks amazing, like it was taken yesterday...
They are not coloring them.
Those are color pictures.

UrokeJoe

Good stuff. Looking at some of these pictures it really shows that time has no hold on us as people. We still do the same stupid shit.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Makes a case for the timelessness of Film. Or maybe its just the subject and moment.

And the maturity of Color Film in the early 1900's also caught me off guard when I first viewed similar ones in this thread. Film may be seen as antiquated now but it certainly served its purpose for documenting those moments in time.

Also some of the more striking photos (as far as quality) may be Medium Format (larger than 35mm most people are used to). That size of Film just has a certain look (a fantastic one).

Log4Girlz

With rare exceptions it always looks like old photos had much more care put into them. The composition, the type of film and the saturation of colors...I mean many of the photos posted are like paintings, they can be blown up and framed in a museum.

besada

Banned
Kodachrome was amazing. And I don't get the bafflement about old color photos. Kodachrome has been in use since 1935 and it wasn't close to being the first color film. Luckily, it has great archival qualities, which is why were still able to see these beautiful photographs.

Also laughing at the folks who didn't know hipster was a word from the forties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom