• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you're Sony, what do you do with the Uncharted IP moving forward?

firelogic

Well I hope they will have the restraint to leave it and move on. A mainline Uncharted made by another studio would be sad and tragic for all concerned and I would feel bad for whichever studio would try to do it. I don't think it's their biggest IP anyway (Gran Turismo maybe?) and it's something that only started last gen so it's not such a stretch to think they could come up with something new and successful to take its place.

Golden Abyss by Sony Bend was pretty good. Can't really compare it to Uncharted 1-4 because it was restricted to the Vita but it was better than 1. Plus it looked, felt, and played like an Uncharted game.

Shevat

Neo Member
I'd leave it alone for a while. Uncharted 4 is a great send-off for the series, and it's doubtful anyone within Sony has the experience to live up to the standard set at this point. They have a few studios that could do a competent Uncharted games, but they're all working on their own stuff currently and probably don't have the bandwidth to pick up an Uncharted level project.

Give it 5 years or so and see who has the pedigree to live up to the series. Or maybe Naughty Dog will want to go back to it by then. If not, and you don't have a team with the passion drive to do it right, leave it alone. Four mainline games and a good-but-not-great handheld game is a good run for the series. The last thing you want to do with a series like Uncharted is handle it like God of War and release a ton of side games no one was really asking for.

As much as I generally have no interest in Rockstar's games, they have the right idea on how to handle their IP. Release a great game every 5~ years when fans are really looking forward to it. Don't saturate the market with a bunch of annual or bi-annual releases fans aren't really asking for.

Do it right, or not at all.

I want a Pirates of the Carribean-esque Uncharted game set in the 1600s SO BAD.

I've been craving this since the first Uncharted. Just gimme that Uncharted gameplay but make me an actual pirate. And add swords, of course.

The menu screen in Uncharted 4 made want this ALL THE MORE. The moment I saw the dead pirate in a cage the phrase "DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES" from the Pirates of the Caribbean ride immediately came to mind.

Please please please please please make this happen.

Naught Dog pls. ;_;

Kazuhira

No more uncharted,that's it..move on to something else,TLoU 2 or anything that ND wants to do next.
I could possibly see a new game with Sam since he didn't give up on the adventure thing like nate,he and sully are best pals now too.

dralla

I think they'll come back to it eventually, especially when the sales numbers come in for UC4. ND has always said it's the end for Nathan Drake, not the series. I don't think we'll see it return until PS5 though. They have a some good replacements for Drake in place when the time comes.

dr_rus

With how the fourth game ended there are
two distinct possibilities which were obviously put into the game to have a way of continuing the series in the future: one would be a Sam+Sully game and another would be a Cassie Drake game. I don't know if I would want to get a UC game without Nate though.

I think moving forward, Naughty Dog is the commodity, not the Uncharted IP.

Give them free reign to keep making amazing games, especially different ones.

SexyFish

Banned
With how the fourth game ended there are
two distinct possibilities which were obviously put into the game to have a way of continuing the series in the future: one would be a Sam+Sully game and another would be a Cassie Drake game. I don't know if I would want to get a UC game without Nate though.

What about a
Cassie and Nathan game a la The Last Crusade?

dr_rus

What about a
Cassie and Nathan game a la The Last Crusade?

The possibilities are obviously endless but with how the 4th game ended
any involvement of Nate would seem strange I think as he's basically moved on with his life and stopped running for lost treasures - started digging for them instead. Someone above said that a Cassie game would feel equally weird and I kinda agree - the two meaningful ways of continuing which would be a good fit for UC4 ending are Sam's game or a completely new set of characters. The second option can just as well be a new franchise though so the only real option for UC5 is Sam+Sully - Nate's story ended in UC4 but Sam's story has just began.

I-hate-u

Leave it the hell alone. The ending is just perfect. Only bad things will come upon the studio that tries to follow up ND's work.

nikos

......... Did you not play 4 and beat it?

the epilogue introduces his daughter. She is already a junior treasure hunter at her young age and is very, very interested in ancient collectables. She finds Drake's book of information for lost treasure and the game closes with Drake telling his daughter his adventures. It's totally going to be her as the main in the next game.

Or it could be us playing as Drake, as he tells her about an adventure we haven't experienced yet.

I wouldn't mind a game as Sam though.

Has anyone come up with the daughter actually being Lara Croft? lulz

i have a really interesting idea of where they could take the direction of the uncharted IP, but I wanna wait a while before making a thread on it because Uncharted 4 is such a hot fire topic in gaming news right now, let alone GAF.

alexbull_uk

I'd tell ND to keep making MP content for as long as it's viable, get the SP DLC out the way, and then leave it alone. Don't sell it, don't pass it to other devs, just leave it be.

I just don't see this series being as good without the stellar cast. Especially Nate and Sully.

I wouldn't mind seeing what Bend could do without the limitations of a handheld. As long as it doesn't take place after U4 though. I feel like the way it ended is a proper ending for the characters.

The Lamp

the epilogue introduces his daughter. She is already a junior treasure hunter at her young age and is very, very interested in ancient collectables. She finds Drake's book of information for lost treasure and the game closes with Drake telling his daughter his adventures. It's totally going to be her as the main in the next game.

Straight up no.

Ending spoilers

Cassie is the literary device to END Nate's legacy of snapping necks and fighting warlords for ancient treasure. She already scavenges legal treasure with her family, but she is not going to be the gunslinging action heroes her parents were because they specifically raised her away from that lifestyle, and to have her fulfill it would destroy the impact of the epilogue. They can't make a game with Cassie without it being a game where you just explore. They can't justify combat with her. And that wouldn't be an Uncharted game.

Uncharted x Killzone

It is the only way.
Straight up no.

Ending spoilers

Cassie is the literary device to END Nate's legacy of snapping necks and fighting warlords for ancient treasure. She already scavenges legal treasure with her family, but she is not going to be the gunslinging action heroes her parents were because they specifically raised her away from that lifestyle, and to have her fulfill it would destroy the impact of the epilogue. They can't make a game with Cassie without it being a game where you just explore. They can't justify combat with her. And that wouldn't be an Uncharted game.
Finally, someone who gets it.

So
Tomb Raider?

Straight up no.

Ending spoilers

Which is what's so surprising to me seeing her being suggested in the DLC thread. It would be boring.

Straight up no.

Ending spoilers

word, and i wouldn't want them to do that either.

leave nathan drake's legacy, and his family, alone...

Tommi84

In two years time:

'Tribute to Uncharted Collection'

All four main games in the package and all dlc and lots of movies about development. 3BD set. Steelbook.

Games 1-3 receiving 2160p and 60+fps facial treatment of the 4k formula. With best possible AA and AF.

4 receiving slight treatment and 1080p all over it (plus best AA and AF). With possible to choose 2160p with 40-50fps 4k formula.

All done by Bluepoint Games obviously.

Let Naughty Dog do other stuff. And by other stuff, I mean Chloe-centered game. I want this sooo badly to happen

Ascenion

Straight up no.

Ending spoilers

This is why the ending fails imo. While it does present these implications,
it is happy to a fault. You could easily bring Nate back into the game in some Taken-esque bullshit. Dude has a lot of enemies and Sam is likely making more. Cassie can legit follow the exact plot of TR2013 and turn into a stone cold killer and it would probably be acceptable. I get now why it is divisive. It is too easily spoiled.

odhiex

I've finished the game today...Wow *not going to spoiled it for now.

If I'm the president of the Naughty Dog, I'm going to tell the team to move on with a new IP instead and comeback to the Uncharted property much much later (I love TLOU too, but that ending conclusion was already fine).

ND is a smart developer, I can't wait for the next games going forward.

N.B. Although, they could give us that story DLC ala the Left Behind (For the Uncharted 4
epiloge with Sam and Sullivan on missions)
)

dr_rus

This is why the ending fails imo. While it does present these implications,
it is happy to a fault. You could easily bring Nate back into the game in some Taken-esque bullshit. Dude has a lot of enemies and Sam is likely making more. Cassie can legit follow the exact plot of TR2013 and turn into a stone cold killer and it would probably be acceptable. I get now why it is divisive. It is too easily spoiled.

Yeah, I felt that the ending was actually opposite to what the game's main theme was. "I'm a man of fortune and I must seek my fortune" is as about Nate and everyone as it is about Avery. And by the end of the game everyone comes to peace with this, that none of them will ever change and that none of them even should change. So I don't really see the ending being as hard of a close off for Nate's character as ND seems to hope it is. There are more things in this Nate's cupboard than we've been familiarized with during the five UC games after all. So a game with Nate set in-between the events of previous games or after UC4 is still very much possible even though that would go against ND's will.

Servbot24

Banned
Let it rest for a good long while. Maybe PS5 could see it go in a spin-off direction if the climate is right, but even then there's no need to force it.

Keep doing small DLC expansions...

If a team comes up with an expansion that has different charters, time period, or something they generally think is a hit, go for another one.

ND said they are OK with a team taking over the franchise if they come up with something compelling. Easiest/Safest way to do it is with smaller updates instead of a huge AAA title.

So a game with Nate set in-between the events of previous games or after UC4 is still very much possible even though that would go against ND's will.

I think the main takeway that we can gather that anything post-UC4 is by-and-large
"legal", and no longer involves any shooting. So a post-UC4 Drake game, by ND's story intentions would literally be an adventure/exploration game with no combat whatsoever. Maybe fighting animals like wolves or bears at best.

As for prequels or mid-quels that take place before UC1 or during the downtime between UC1/2, or UC2/3, sure. But ND ain't making those games.

Top Bottom