• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you're Sony, what do you do with the Uncharted IP moving forward?

If I were Sony? I'd probably milk it, or do whatever the expert money-makers do with IPs. Wouldn't even care about quality so long as it was predicted to profit sufficiently.

My answer as a consumer would be very different.

BibiMaghoo

Nothing else this gen, we have had 4 games launch in a year. Time to leave it be, then perhaps return to it one day in the future on a new platform.

Gandalf

Sell one of their biggest IPs? Lol

Like many others, I'd love for ND to move on now, and make something new. But at the same time, I love Uncharted, and would welcome another with open arms.

Elitist1945

Let it end with the 4th as intended by Naughty Dog. I'm sure Sony could find some pride knowing they send one of their biggest IPs off on a strong note without milking the franchise.

all good things come to an end...Let the series go out on top. Besides, Uncharted isn't a series that need a kart racing or any other stupid IP spinoff games.

Raven77

If it was me, I would sit on the IP until the PS5 or whatever it ends up being (3+ years from now) and unveil a new type of game that is essentially an open world version of Uncharted. How it would be different from other open worlds? Idk, i'm not a developer or designer but the geniuses at Naughty Dog could figure something out. Maybe massive procedurally generated land masses? Super advanced AI? Who knows.

I imagine they'll at least take a shot at getting another dev to make Uncharted: New Characters On Different Adventures, which I think would be a fine thing to try.

If I were Sony? I'd probably milk it, or do whatever the expert money-makers do with IPs. Wouldn't even care about quality so long as it was predicted to profit sufficiently.

My answer as a consumer would be very different.

i think lately sony has been thinking of the consumer. hence, how they allowed their developers more prep time by having the game delayed again and again, knowing how the hardcore consumers responded to the "rush job" that was Uc3

Shelve it. The more realistic the graphics get, the more ridiculous the premise becomes.

Besides how many lost cities can Nathan (or a successor) find? You can't up the ante indefinitely.

Long as naughty dog keep pumping out successful ips, there is no reason to return to uncharted for at least 5 or 6 years minimum.

It's so odd seeing the vehement "No other dev could possibly do this without ruining it!" argument when we've already seen with Uncharted that this isn't the case. Bend made Golden Abyss and it was a great Uncharted game. It had all the same feel as if ND made it themselves. Going from a handheld to a console is a matter of scale. The fact that they can get the feel and spirit of the game right is what matters. Do I think a Bend console UC would be as good or better than UC4? Probably not, but they are perfectly capable of making great Uncharted games.

Shin-chan

Shelve it. The more realistic the graphics get, the more ridiculous the premise becomes.

Besides how many lost cities can Nathan (or a successor) find? You can't up the ante indefinitely.

Long as naughty dog keep pumping out successful ips, there is no reason to return to uncharted for at least 5 or 6 years minimum.

Agreed. If they're going to continue it in some capacity I'd like a pulpy crime thriller with
Sam and Sully, as its strongly implied they stick together for the next decade or so.

That way you can bring back other side characters and keep the same world and light hearted tone while simultaneously providing a great action game with some set pieces.

There's no more lost cities to plunder or if there is it should be a big surprise rather than the main point of the plot.

I'd be down for seeing a prequel or something maybe in about 5 years or so. I dunno why but I'm not really interested in the long term continuation of the franchise so I'd go for either a prequel with Nate or
the untold stories of Sam and Sully after Nate drops out. I know they left Cassie there as a possible chance to continue but I'm more interested in the already established characters so would rather one last hurrah for them one day.

Mathieran

Banned
Make a spinoff featuring either a whole new crew of folks, or someone like Chloe or young Sully with some new buddies. And call it Unnavigated :)

Ceadeus

I would leave it be and going forward with TLOU. After TLOU is done, go forward and make a new IP. Taking risk. Don't overdo existing stuff.

impact

Banned
I'm quite sure they'll port it to PS4 at some point.

Have you played it? I doubt they'd port over such a gimmick filled mess. The last "boss" in particular would have people cursing the fact that they bought such a shitty game, or that Sony even made such a shitty game.

yurinka

Let it rest for around 5 years to let Naughty Dog to make Savage Starlight and TLOU2, and after that I'd ask them to overview or to co-develop with RAD/Bend's work (even if it's a small pre-prod team) on an Uncharted sequel where characters would share protagonism as main characters in different timelines, like a young Sully, Chloe meeting Sam, Drake & Elena in an adventure hinted in U4, and in the future with the character introduced at the end of U4.

Regarding TLOU2 it would be a direct sequel with both new and known characters with an important flashback portion to explain their origins and how the virus shit got real.

SRTtoZ

Just put it on the back burner for a while until you get a few new games out there, and maybe come back to it in 5-10 years. Ending SPOILERS AHEAD.
Go for a Older Epilogue Drake who must come out of retirement for some urgent thing, maybe that has to do with his daughter. You get to play as older Drake and parts of the game even as his daughter. Neil if you're reading this, you can thank me later.

MrS

Banned
Sony should respect NDs wishes and let the franchise end with 4...and what a way to go out.

KOHIPEET

Honestly, the end has options to continue and it could certainly be interesting enough, but is there a studio outside Naughty Dog who could deliver at this quality? That I highly doubt.

pswii60

......... Did you not play 4 and beat it?

the epilogue introduces his daughter. She is already a junior treasure hunter at her young age and is very, very interested in ancient collectables. She finds Drake's book of information for lost treasure and the game closes with Drake telling his daughter his adventures. It's totally going to be her as the main in the next game.
Is she called Lara?

jett

D-Member
Just put it to rest. ND made all they could to make UC4 the last game in the series, at least.

You don't want Uncharted to turn into some obnoxious, tired-ass shit you've had more than enough of. You know, like God of War.

let it die in glory.

I know people want it to continue, but at this point it's facing the same issue as Witcher, the game ended and its characters have basically ended their story. Even if
you play as the daughter
it would feel forced, this series was Nathan Drake and gang, stop it there and get creative with a new series.

PJV3

I'm happy for it to continue, I like the games and I'm not tired of it yet. A younger Sully getting into a few scrapes would satisfy my Uncharted itch.

Just completed U4. I hope Sony put the Uncharted series to bed now. That is about as neatly-wrapped and satisfying a resolution as one could ask for.

Shredderi

Just completed U4. I hope Sony put the Uncharted series to bed now. That is about as neatly-wrapped and satisfying a resolution as one could ask for.

Yep. I was surprised how content I was with the ending. It really had that sense of finality. I just think it would cheapen that if they were to make more.
I think it's heavily hinted that Cassie will eventually continue in her parents' footsteps and I don't think we need to see that in action.

Gold standard would be an exciting new IP that is more fantastical than their recent output. The still-excited-as-fuck standard would be TLOU2.

Uncharted was already put on hold (not around) for 4 years, but it was in several conversations since Uncharted 4's reveal in 2013. 5-8 years of no Uncharted, along with Naughty Dog moving on with The Last of Us 2, Savage Starlight, or whatever they are working on and people will easily embrace a new Uncharted within the next decade.

I wish Sony took that same path with God of War or Ratchet & Clank instead of milking them to death. However with the recent revival of Ratchet & Clank and possibly God of War, Uncharted's return in a successful way in the foreseeable future might not be impossible.

For now, as I've mentioned earlier, the series ended in a fantastic way and should be left alone for a long while.

Best wishes.

Yeah, I felt that the ending was actually opposite to what the game's main theme was. "I'm a man of fortune and I must seek my fortune" is as about Nate and everyone as it is about Avery. And by the end of the game everyone comes to peace with this, that none of them will ever change and that none of them even should change. So I don't really see the ending being as hard of a close off for Nate's character as ND seems to hope it is. There are more things in this Nate's cupboard than we've been familiarized with during the five UC games after all. So a game with Nate set in-between the events of previous games or after UC4 is still very much possible even though that would go against ND's will.

The epilogue exists as a direct counterpoint to the chapter in Evelyn's house. Nate not only learns not to fall into the self destructive path that destroyed Rafe and Avery, but to strike a better life balance by including his spouse and child in his legal adventures.

ViciousDS

Banned
Straight up no.

Ending spoilers

Cassie is the literary device to END Nate's legacy of snapping necks and fighting warlords for ancient treasure. She already scavenges legal treasure with her family, but she is not going to be the gunslinging action heroes her parents were because they specifically raised her away from that lifestyle, and to have her fulfill it would destroy the impact of the epilogue. They can't make a game with Cassie without it being a game where you just explore. They can't justify combat with her. And that wouldn't be an Uncharted game.

she turns into lara craft after Nate and Elena pass away. XD

Top Bottom