• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iggy Azalea: Why Didn't Eminem get the same backlash from the Grammys?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floridian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-DjhqBLvqvk

Another interview with Power 106 discussing her nominations & rumors. Here's what she had to say about people being upset about her Best Rap Album Nomination.

Iggy Azalea said:
I know which I found to be kind of ironic, it was because I was white, so I was appropriating culture, but then Eminem won it who was white and has won it many times and they didn't seem to say anything about that so I was like "Hmmmmmmm". I suspect that you just disliked me.

Iggy Azalea said:
I was really happy that I was thought of, and I appreciate just that because people already hate me enough. I do not need to be hated anymore.

So in the video she claims that she didn't want to win a Grammy because that would have caused her more backlash. She questions why Eminem, a rapper who has the same skin as her and is the opposite sex, wasn't getting any problems with winning the same award that she was nominated for. She faces a lot of criticism from being accused of being a racist to having a sex change. Do you think all the "backlash" she gets is justified/deserved?

i7zmPSrZZvzH8.gif

In hip hop I find it similar to that episode of Scrubs where they determine it's difficult for a black man to be a doctor but even more difficult for a black woman to be a doctor. I think the reverse is true that it's hard for a white man to be a rapper and even harder for a white woman to be. This is all based on a level of acceptance by the population.

rude

Banned
No, her music is legitimately amazing. I listen to trap gold and the new classic almost every day. Great production, interesting lyrics, etc. She's awesome and I feel like most people just hate on her because she's a (white) woman. She's put out the best rap since maybe kanye's or 50's early stuff? People need to get off the high horse and accept that's shes a great artist.

cocopuffs

Banned
In hip hop I find it similar to that episode of Scrubs where they determine it's difficult for a black man to be a doctor but even more difficult for a black woman to be a doctor. I think the reverse is true that it's hard for a white man to be a rapper and even harder for a white woman to be. This is all based on a level of acceptance by the population.
Or maybe just because Eminem is/was good and she's not.

Eos

eminem has been putting out trash these last couple of years and that last album was no different but don't even try comparing iggy to eminem because, unlike her, he can actually rap

J10

Banned
Eminem had already earned his credibility and proven himself as a greater lyricist by then, despite getting undue attention. She hasn't. Also, he's a man.

Air

Banned
Well there are a lot of reasons, but I think eminem has the street cred Iggy wants. Also it's not like Eminem hasn't joked about being like Elvis. He knows that his popularity is because he's white. It seems that Iggy doesn't.

Patapwn

Eminem has put out trash recently but he has a large collection of amazing songs

Iggy only has a single overplayed piece of shit

The math on this one is easy

No, her music is legitimately amazing. I listen to trap gold and the new classic almost every day. Great production, interesting lyrics, etc. She's awesome and I feel like most people just hate on her because she's a (white) woman. She's put out the best rap since maybe kanye's or 50's early stuff?

ibzdZCMlr4Wbyb.gif

Boy, if you don't get off my internet with this foolishness.

Makki

It's got nothing to do with male/female and more to do with the manufactured background she has yoyoyo Georgia yo, I sing from my hood heart yo

the problem with eminem's music these days is that all he's doing his professing his skill. but the talent isn't as present anymore like it was in his past music. to make an analogy it's like a game with gameplay that won't keep you bored, but with mediocre or average graphics

esms

It's something I think of sometimes when I'm shaking my head at Azalea. It might be because Eminem grew up in a majority black neighborhood? So, the argument would go, he wasn't appropriating anything, despite skin color?

Does Azalea hail from similar backgrounds?

Hip Hop

She wants to fit in so bad. All these statements she's been giving out will make it much harder to do so more and more.

Because Iggy, Eminem isn't the first king of controversy, but he is the worst thing since Elvis Presely to do black music so selfishly, and use it to get himself wealthy.

Hey, there's a concept that works! Twenty million other white rappers emerge, like you, but no matter how many fish in the sea, it just feels empty without Shady.

ReiGun

Eminem had already earned his credibility and proven himself as a greater lyricist by then, despite getting undue attention. She hasn't. Also, he's a man.

Spot on.

Like, I can't act like women don't face more scrutiny in hip hop (or music in general), but there is still the fact that Iggy is simply not talented. Whereas Em, though past his prime, is a great rapper.

7Rui5IB.gif

Iggy doesn't even have a decent flow. It sounds like she's reading while she raps. Also, T.I. and Young Dro can only ghostwrite so much. The rest is on you.

rhandino

Banned
The two of them are different kinds of trash lbr, it's just that one of them used to be a good rapper and the other appears to be a modern version of a minstrel show.

Edit: And what is the problem with Eminem and women? I swear that in almost every era of him he is making absurd comments and threats to popular female performers.

Azalean

Banned
Yes, it's bullshit. People don't give her the respect as an artist she deserves.

No, her music is legitimately amazing. I listen to trap gold and the new classic almost every day. Great production, interesting lyrics, etc. She's awesome and I feel like most people just hate on her because she's a (white) woman. She's put out the best rap since maybe kanye's or 50's early stuff? People need to get off the high horse and accept that's shes a great artist.

Yaaaaas. Tell them.

giphy.gif

iD1XIGrfC6M2z.gif

I would sympathize with Iggy more if she weren't racist herself lol. I guess it's not so fun when it's on the other side.

That said I don't agree with this black music white music bullshit.

Because Iggy, Eminem isn't the first king of controversy, but he is the worst thing since Elvis Presely to do black music so selfishly, and use it to get himself wealthy.

Hey, there's a concept that works! Twenty million other white rappers emerge, like you, but no matter how many fish in the sea, it just feels empty without Shady.

I do not care about music at all but i just wanted to comment on this. Music is not owned by any one. Any race person can do any music they want there should not be some kind of owner ship of genre or something.

heh, I didn't know where you were going with this at first but then.. nice.

Air

Banned
I do not care about music at all but i just wanted to comment on this. Music is not owned by any one. Any race person can do any music they want there should not be some kind of owner ship of genre or something.

Google 'without me' lol.

Mailbox

I have a feeling you didn't get the joke...

Lebron

EbtsywJ.gif

Eminem is over the hill, but for a while there he was hot. And he made sure he mentioned who he was taking his music from and potentially why he was so popular. Iggy lacks that.

She is a rather average rapper experiencing a great deal of success. Good for her?

That and she says stupid shit like Banks.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Yes, it's bullshit. People don't give her the respect as an artist she deserves.

Girl Gone.

Let's not pretend like Iggy's hit songs aren't held afloat by catchy hooks done by far more talented (and likeable) artists.

It's not her nails-on-a-chalkboard bordering on racist caricature fake accent. It's not her incredibly poor flow or arrogant persona. Oops, didn't she go running from Twitter cuz she couldn't handle the criticism despite all the bile she's spewed on Twitter herself?

Call me when Igor manages to do a song on her own that smashes. People are here for her hooks, nothing more

WWmjGde.gif

Floridian

I think her music just isn't quality. It was fair that she didn't win because of her bad output. Maybe she should try harder next time.

cdyhybrid

Girl Gone.

Let's not pretend like Iggy's hit songs aren't held afloat by catchy hooks done by far more talented (and likeable) artists.

It's not her nails-on-a-chalkboard bordering on racist caricature fake accent. It's not her incredibly poor flow or arrogant persona. Oops, didn't she go running from Twitter cuz she couldn't handle the criticism despite all the bile she's spewed on Twitter herself?

Call me when Igor manages to do a song on her own that smashes. People are here for her hooks, nothing more

WWmjGde.gif

No lies detected.

rude

Banned
Girl Gone.
And yet they're still here for her? Even you admit it. What is this post supposed to mean? Like...even Iggy's haters can't properly clock her.
Glad you're speaking some sense. What's you're fave iggy track?

Girl Gone.

WWmjGde.gif

Not IGOR, LMAO

J10

Banned
Iggy and Eminem sort of live in the same predicament. They've received undue exposure in the context of hip hop because of their ethnicity, but it's actually not their fault that the world works that way. I won't say that Eminem isn't worthy of his accolades, but we know he's been allowed to skip ahead in line. Many of his influences, some that never won Grammies, didn't have a chance earn half of that. The same will probably be true of Iggy.

But there's a reason Eminem rattled off the names of like the 50 greatest hip hop acts of all times in his thank you speech when he won that first Grammy. He knows what it means to be in that unique place. Iggy hasn't come to that realization yet, but I'll cut her some slack because there's the added dimension of sexism involved. She's under more scrutiny while also not having much expected of her artistically. We are not post racial or post sexist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom