• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iggy Azalea: Why Didn't Eminem get the same backlash from the Grammys?

Status
Not open for further replies.
WHAT?! She went after Q-Tip for educating her?

Yeah, thats what turned me ice cold on this woman. If she had a shred of respect for the genre and culture she's profited on, she wouldnt be lashing out at legends trying to reach out to her and speak on some real shit.
She doesnt give a shit about the culture, she's a carpetbagger.

I was fine with her response to Q-Tip. Does anyone think the majority of rap fans or artists know about the shit Q-Tip was tweeting her? Why should Iggy be held to a different standard. Most people's rap studying begins and ends with listening to albums. My problem with Iggy is that she clearly hasn't listened to much of anything. If her pop career took off she wouldn't even be a rapper.

Zee-Row

Banned
Eminem's worst music is still better than Iggy's best. Iggy is the female Snow of this generation , better call some informers.

Actually for him it is cultural appropriation since he has never been black. He is a culture appropriating, misogynist, homophobic white man. Whether he is good or not does not change that fact.

He didnt appropriate shit. He was raised in a heavily black area, went to predominately black schools, was in a culturally black American habitat.

Actually for him it is cultural appropriation since he has never been black. He is a culture appropriating, misogynist, homophobic white man. Whether he is good or not does not change that fact.
You don't have to be black to have been apart of the hip hop culture.
I guess Rick Rubin is a culture appropriate then.

I was fine with her response to Q-Tip. Does anyone think the majority of rap fans or artists know about the shit Q-Tip was tweeting her? Why should Iggy be held to a different standard. Most people's rap studying begins and ends with listening to albums. My problem with Iggy is that she clearly hasn't listened to much of anything. If her pop career took off she wouldn't even be a rapper.

Precisely why it was warranted. She stepped into a realm after her attempt in another genre didn't go anywhere. So she just jumps in and thinks she's above people checking her in the hip hop culture. This is the same crowd that still say Nas won. This is the same crowd that out a movie called Top Five. People actually care about the music and the people in it. It's not like trends in pop where people can just forget about the past in favor of the new hot act. It goes beyond just listening to the albums. It's something people REALLY care about. If some other person took the same route and happens to be black, they get the same treatment. Getting check to see if they are genuine or fake.

Slayven

Pop and Rock are hard, that is why you see so many new "country" artists

sn00zer

Oh man...Eminem was born and raised in Detroit. Iggy was raised on an Australian farm, borrowed her accent from what she thought inner city Americans sounded like. Its the same reason Drake gets shit when he says he cam from the bottom, even though he was a major character in a highly successful teen soap.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Oh man...Eminem was born and raised in Detroit. Iggy was raised on an Australian farm, borrowed her accent from what she thought inner city Americans sounded like. Its the same reason Drake gets shit when he says he cam from the bottom, even though he was a major character in a highly successful teen soap.

Let them know!
522ada8f5c.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
People still pretending that Fancy wasn't actually a Charli XCX song featuring Iggy?

like pretty much, the only iggy songs that anyone is here for are songs that have a strong hook provided by a pop singer; fancy, problem, black widow
though i semi-use goddess but only because it sounds like MBDTF-era kanye-lite

and also while it's probably an overstatement to say that BWET is 2014 hiphop aoty (i honestly don't know the rest of the hiphop releases that year well enough to have an informed view) i do at least think the least that anybody could say is that it's a good, if not great album, which is frankly shocking considering the absolute shitshow that was azealia's career between the release of fantasea and the release of BWET.

IrishNinja

as someone who aint trynna hear iggy or em in 2015 i'm mostly okay with the things garbagemen/women say

dunno what's worse in this thread; people thinking grammy's matter to hip hop, or banks matters or anyone

edit

Off the top of my head, RTJ2 and Pinata are better. Sit your five dollar ass down.

talk to em

It is double standards.

it's partially because she is a woman and I'm starting to believe that.

eminem is a fuckboy that makes music for fuckboys and jokes about rape and sucks but has largely been given a pass.

he would be attacked and shamed by the greater media consuming public if he was making his debut now in the information age.

actually he would probably just end up being a riff raff, which isn't fair because riff raff is actually funny and makes fun club music.

mom's spaghetti.

Log4Girlz

It is double standards.

eminem is a fuckboy that makes music for fuckboys and jokes about rape and sucks but has largely been given a pass.

he would be attacked and shamed by the greater media consuming public if he was making his debut now in the information age.

actually he would probably just end up being a riff raff, which isn't fair because riff raff is actually funny and makes fun club music.

mom's spaghetti.

Wat

RBK

Banned
I just wanted to come back in here to say that I listened to this entire album because of this thread.

Solid.

I'll be picking it up.

Same.

The production of the album itself is one thing but she's actually snapping on some of these tracks.

I wrote her off honestly because she is a female rapper, but I slept on this.

It is double standards.

mom's spaghetti.

Bruh just sit down, dont embarass yourself even further.

It is double standards.

mom's spaghetti.

Do you ever get tired of being wrong all the time?

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
It is double standards.

mom's spaghetti.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fSfM0vk0qk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom