• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: ~50 Layoffs at Sony Santa Monica, Project Canceled [Up2: Was Stig's New IP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're not taking into account that they're also a publishing house and help to develop some other Sony games. Somebody already posted a full page of the work they've done, but you can check on Wikipedia yourself.

They probably had like 10 people working on each of those projects. There were also some pretty big duds among the games they helped with, like Starhawk,PSASBR,Datura and Sorcerry.

Who knows maybe they were spreading themselves too thin. Thus effecting other projects.

KOHIPEET

This is both sad and strange IMO. As it was supposed to be in the works for years now. I'm really curious about the reasons. A couple weeks ago we had that video about the life at SSM anf everything seemed nice and happy. And now look, layoffs and project cancellation.

If the game was so far into development then gameplay issues couldn't be the cause so I assume there had to be financial reasons behind it.

I wonder if this was known for quite some time and moving into a new place is all part of this process. Whatever it is.

I hope the people who got sent away find a new job quickly and I also hope things are going to be ok at SSM so we can see a lot of great games coming from them.

Suppose there is a new GOW game, what's left to pursue now? Isn't the story of Kratos done and dusted?

BTW what will happen to the BSG writer. Hope that story makes its way into some other game someday, in some shape or way.

jayu26

Why???

The PS4 is selling like hot cakes, why not try and get the new IP out the door. Ship it as best you can and make some money back on it at least. Maybe it sells really well, who knows?

Very sad news, good luck to those affected. Could at least give them the new IP and assets and maybe they can kickstart it or find their own funding.

Really not liking current Sony at this rate, gone back to arrogance for me.
Facepalm.gif

So many words and not a ounce of thought in them.

Loudninja

They probably had like 10-20 people working on each of those projects. There were also some pretty big duds among the games they helped with, like Starhawk,PSASBR,Datura and Sorcerry.

Who knows maybe they were spreading themselves too thin. Thus effecting other projects.
Yeah RAD has 110 people,so I dont think they need much help.

Sony getting Nintendofied. GoW and Uncharted games till the end of times! A shame imo. :(

Driveclub, Knack, Tearaway, The Order, Gravity Rush, Last of Us, Last Guardian all say hi.

One game getting canceled means nothing. Maybe it was a bad idea or maybe the game wasn't progressing well.

daman824

I'm guessing everyone is just doing God of War now or helping out with smaller projects that SSM is associated with. 220 - 50 = 170; which isn't absurd for huge title like GoW. I doubt there was a big new IP in between.
Yeah, God of War 4 was always coming, but it probably got bumped up a bit after this.

And I doubt they cancelled the IP for God of War. Some of the people working with Stig probably got moved to the God of War team though.

It will probably be God of War 4 in 2016 and a new IP from SSM in 2017-18.

FiggyCal

Banned
There was a interview once with the battlestar galactica writer who was working on a script for a new ip for years and that the whole 150 dev team started the full production.

I can't find the interview though.

I remember that as well. But I figure it's the now canceled project. He mentions that he had been working on the project for years in the interview. Which would not be possible as Corey only recently made his team.

andycapps

-Ascension shipped
-People move on to Stig's game
-Barlog builds up his GoW team
-After almost one year of full-production Stig's game still looks like shit and doesn't look like it will be finished soon
-His initial team gets fired
-The rest moves on to Barlrog and maybe some of them begin pre-production for a new title (with Stig)
-Barlog just got a bunch of new members for his team and doesn't need to staff up anymore

Would be my guess.

Not bad guesses, I wouldn't even say that necessarily Stig's game looked like shit, it just may have not been greenlit and Sony cut funding so they had to get rid of around 50 people. I'd guess that he and some of the others that were on it will move on to another project, or leave the studio. I don't see Stig being second fiddle on GoW4, would be a waste of his talents there.

Canceled doesn't mean = game was shit. May just mean that that type of game isn't what Sony is going for now and they may come back to the idea later, maybe it wasn't right and Sony wants them to go back to pre-production on another new title.

daman824

Suppose there is a new GOW game, what's left to pursue now? Isn't the story of Kratos done and dusted?

BTW what will happen to the BSG writer. Hope that story makes its way into some other game someday, in some shape or way.
Different mythologies. Fighting Egyptian or Norse gods would be pretty cool.

Honestly it doesn't really matter. The game will look absolutely amazing and be titled "God of War 4". It's going to sell a lot.

So it was the new IP, ugh that really sucks. I understand their need to play it safe with Sony's financials not being up to snuff but it still sucks. Hopefully things pick up and they'll be able to take some more risks in a couple years once these core franchises are out.

I'm guessing everyone is just doing God of War now or helping out with smaller projects that SSM is associated with. 220 - 50 = 170; which isn't absurd for huge title like GoW. I doubt there was a big new IP in between.

Everyone assumed that was Stig's game. Sounds like it.
Subtract another 20 for second party relations. 150 for one big game makes sense. But I would assume they are going to start pre-production on another title as well, so another 10-20 people going to that. Maybe they staff up some more. But I definitely wouldn't expect more than one full-production and one pre-production team at this point.

injurai

Banned

SSM said that they had and ending that extended beyond what we saw. Due to time constraints they couldn't accomplish it to the polish of the rest of the game.

I think there is a lot the series could do if you look beyond Greek mythology because it seems to me that only the earth that was ruled over by the Olympians was thrown into chaos. There are other gods holding down the fort abroad.

StuBurns

Banned
Not bad guesses, I wouldn't even say that necessarily Stig's game looked like shit, it just may have not been greenlit and Sony cut funding so they had to get rid of around 50 people. I'd guess that he and some of the others that were on it will move on to another project, or leave the studio. I don't see Stig being second fiddle on GoW4, would be a waste of his talents there.
I don't think it would. He was the art director on GoW2, and he did an exceptional job, it has the best art direction of the series. It's not a step down, it's just a different role, one he might believe he's a better fit for.
I wouldn't say that, it had some interesting bits.
I only like the swimming pool bit.

This just happened with Bioshock Infinite. They made a good game, it didn't sell, they got shuttered. I don't think the industry particularly likes when it takes 4+ years to make a game and it's not up to snuff. It's likely that team was going to get shuttered even if the game came out.
Oh. Did you edit that? Or did I read it wrong the first time. Oh well.

Right. It shouldn't take 4+ years to make a game when you have a staff of hundreds working on it. It's out of control. I've never worked in the industry and maybe that's why I don't get it. In the long term this may be a good thing. Not every game needs to be a $100M venture that takes 80 hours to complete. Even if the game is a success, it still may not recoup its costs. For every GTA there's a Tomb Raider or any other countless big budget game that falls below expectations

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Drive by trolling at two different platforms. Well played.

You gotta be shitting me. I didn't troll either Sony or Nintendo. Nintendo is riding the wave of the same IP's for years. And for better or worse Sony is going into that direction, especially if we are talking about IP's like GoW that in my humble opinion overstayed their welcome (I have played and finished them all, you can check my psn ID!). I would rather see them going in another direction. It might be economical disasterous or whatever. But what gives if you can spew your shitty opinions, predictions or leaks all over the internet, then so can I post my shitty opinions without being called a troll!

I remember that as well. But I figure it's the now canceled project. He mentions that he had been working on the project for years in the interview. Which would not be possible as Corey only recently made his team.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/18/45...ctica-writer-michael-angeli-sony-santa-monica

After the studio wrapped development on God of War: Ascension for PlayStation 3, he said, the full team of about 150 staffers transitioned to work on the new and still unannounced project.
Well, there is still hope. Nevertheless, this is still sad story.

jett

D-Member
The hate here for another God of War is frightening.

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/057/3/f/ascension_by_raziel1992-d783k93.gif[IMG]

DO WE NOT WANT MORE OF THIS? TELL ME DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!
[SPOILER]Browsers be damned LOL[/SPOILER][/QUOTE]

No, what I want is a game with game design that is not stuck in the stone age.

Lets look at the main output of some of Sony's other studio's.

Naughty Dog
-Uncharted 2007
-Uncharted 2 2009
-Uncharted 3 2011
-The Last of Us 2013

Guerilla Studio's
-Killzone 2 2009
-Killzone 3 2011
-Killzone SF 2013

Evolution Studio's
-Motorstorm 2006
-Motorstorm Pacific Rift 2008
-Motorstorm Apocalypse 2011
-Motorstorm:RC 2012
-Driveclub 2014

Suckerpunch
-InFamous 2009
-InFamous 2 2011
-InFamous Festival of Blood 2012
-InFamous SS 2014

Media Molecule
-Little Big Planet 2008
-Little Big Planet 2 2011
-Tearaway 2013

Now lets look at Santa Monica
-God of War 3 2010
-God of War Acension 2013

Maybe it was time for a shake up.

SSM has helped plenty of dev in developing games. They have helped like with 20 games including Journey.

Pungza

They could go with David Jaffes idea -

Essentially, Jaffe suggested that the battle with Zeus would be set at the beginning of the game. Kratos would kill Zeus, creating a vortex that would suck all mythologies - Greek, Egyptian, Norse etc. - into one world. While in this world, Kratos would ultimately stop the people from believing in these gods, thereby ushering in the new age of religions, beginning with Christianity. The ending of the game would see you playing as the Three Wise Men. The origin of the Sphinx would also be explained as a monster that Kratos froze with Medusa's Head, whilst Kratos ultimate fate would be to sacrifice himself to live with his family in Hades.

You gotta be shitting me. I didn't troll either Sony or Nintendo. Nintendo is riding the wave of the same IP's for years. And for better or worse Sony is going into that direction, especially if we are talking about IP's like GoW that in my humble opinion overstayed their welcome (I have played and finished them all, you can check my psn ID!). I would rather see them going in another direction. It might be economical disasterous or whatever. But what gives if you can spew your shitty opinions, predictions or leaks all over the internet, then so can I post my shitty opinions without being called a troll!

Sony just released four new ips last year (The Last of Us, Puppeteer, Beyond, Teraway). What the hell you are talking about.

Canceled doesn't mean = game was shit. May just mean that that type of game isn't what Sony is going for now and they may come back to the idea later, maybe it wasn't right and Sony wants them to go back to pre-production on another new title.
Yeah, hyperbole on my part sorry. Really curious to what Stig is going to do. After 4 years he might be so pissed/crushed that he is maybe leaving soon as well. Or maybe he realized the project wasn't working and has the will to try something else. Must be hard though after 4 years...

Valentus

Why?????

Do you really think that Sony, the company that said very loud "WE USE OUR MONEY TO POWER UP OUR STUDIOS, NOT TO MONEYHAT EXCLUSIVES" are gonna fire talented people that could weaken their internal studios????

Like people said here, nobody cancels a 4-year developement game without a good reason.

Mexi

Banned
Lol, everyone is mad here, just move on people, there is nothing you can do about it.

We are gonna get another exciting God of War game and everyone will be happy :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
They should fire the head of the studio not all of those talented people. This is attributed to a lack of proper management.
Good luck to those affected. Land on your feet and in better situations.

#fireSSMHead

Isn't it better that the team got 4 years to build what they wanted to, rather than never having the chance in the first place? There is no guarantee at the start that what you make will see the light of day.

Fezan

Yeah, hyperbole on my part sorry. Really curious to what Stig is going to do. After 4 years he might be so pissed/crushed that he is maybe leaving soon as well. Or maybe he realized the project wasn't working and has the will to try something else. Must be hard though after 4 years...

Looks like its less to do with the quality of new ip but more with budget and settings like 8 days.
Stig,s new ip went over budget which would have been difficult to recoup back and setting (scifi from shinobi twitter )and gameplay (open world vehicle fps from job posting )sounds very similar to destiny.

Man I am shocked and depressed at the same time. Remembering Mr. Asmussen's last facebook message he posted on his birthday last year "One more year... Thanks to everyone for the kind wishes! Next year is time to shine"

Reading through that just leaves me teary eyed. Been a loyal fan of Sony Santa Monica since the original God of War :(

SSReborn

Also when was it confirmed Cory Barlog was making a GOW?

The way it seemed from the post he made on the PS Blog was that the game he intends to make is a new IP at least to me. I don't really see why a special "Ocean’s 11" type team needs to be formed for a GOW game when all the talent from that series should already be there.

Looks like its less to do with the quality of new ip but more with budget and settings like 8 days.
Stig,s new ip went over budget which would have been difficult to recoup back and setting (scifi from shinobi twitter )and gameplay (open world vehicle fps from job posting )sounds very similar to destiny.

I thought this for a while as well with the little info we knew about the SSM game I always pictured it being very similar to Destiny.

Caronte

Why?????

Do you really think that Sony, the company that said very loud "WE USE OUR MONEY TO POWER UP OUR STUDIOS, NOT TO MONEYHAT EXCLUSIVES" are gonna fire talented people that could weaken their internal studios????

Like people said here, nobody cancels a 4-year developement game without a good reason.

I'm shaking my head because somehow for you this is good news and the next Naughty Dog game will be better because of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom