• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Apple iPhone 15 Pro gaming interview "It's going to be the best gaming console"

Schmendrick

/you scared gif

This one iPhone release won’t be the end of console gaming but eventually gaming will be mainly on your all in one device in the future. Seems everyone but actual gamers have realized this years ago.
someone slept in physics class.

The powerlimit on handheld formfactor devices says hi.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

/you scared gif

This one iPhone release won’t be the end of console gaming but eventually gaming will be mainly on your all in one device in the future. Seems everyone but actual gamers have realized this years ago.
Yes everyone but the people that play games know gaming lol

Remember when the industry was obsessed with your console being your entertainment and tv center? That worked out well.

Connect your iphone to your tv and play 30fps upscaled resident evil with the added perk of losing your phone while you play or getting spammed by notifications and phone calls.

You can get some sort of okay experience out of a all in one device but itll never be better than a dedicated system.

UnNamed

Banned
According to that interview, Apple plans to unify the gaming platform between Ipad, Mac and Iphone, and to do that, they need a similar architecture between devices. Ipad and Mac already have the same M chip, Iphone should have something similar, but I believe we will see a chip from series M on Iphone in the future.

Apps on IOS already run on Mac, whenever Apple will achieve the full compatibility, the chances to play games across Iphone and Mac would increase.
At that point, Apple "only" need to convince developers to port desktop games on Iphone convicing them people can play their games on the go and and at home with a cable, or an upgraded versione on Mac without spend money.

Robb

Gold Member
Was I talking about sales or future devices 🤔
I don’t know. When I said better I didn’t really mean in terms of hardware. That’s barely comparable either way since one is a +$1000 device and the rest are usually below $500.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
/you scared gif

Homer Simpson Cartoon GIF

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
/you scared gif

No it won't.

Content will always be king, so platform holders with a solid content pipeline (not just in terms of productivity but also reputationally) are at an immense advantage.
They get to set the terms of where their product is made available to the public, and third parties will want to go where the attention is proven to be.

So Apple may have the best hardware and all the money in the world, but they are literally decades behind the current market leaders, and like MS before them will quickly discover that its hard to break through the mindshare barrier - no matter how much stuff they acquire or how deep they subsidize.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
You mean a PC?
One and the same really. Mobile is headed toward PCs and PCs are headed toward mobile.

I know it’s hard to think forward 40 years for a lot of you but it just take a step back and look at the big picture.

Bry0

/you scared gif

https://www.polygon.com/platform/am...m-boxs-biggest-threat-isnt-consoles-its-apple

Yep, think long term and it is clear.

Edit: not surprised to see all the pushback, but seriously, Gabe is incredibly insightful and has an amazing ability to think about the long term. Projects like steam deck are a small part of a much bigger strategy to expand the PC ecosystem. Apple continues to expand theirs while Microsoft and all the other pc manufacturers pick their noses. The steam machine wasn’t a success in 2014, but if you listen to Gabes ign interview during the deck launch, he implies the initiative is not dead. Proton and steam OS and its expansion with the deck is just another stepping stone.

Last edited:

killatopak

One and the same really. Mobile is headed toward PCs and PCs are headed toward mobile.

I know it’s hard to think forward 40 years for a lot of you but it just take a step back and look at the big picture.
The future is unpredictable yeah and I won't count it out but mobile PC have been a thing for such a long time like laptops and such that I'm not feeling that traditional consoles will be replaced soon. Like haven't we been hearing that console will be dead for like three generations already? The biggest barrier for me have always been the money required. Consoles present a solution that is very efficient in giving you one thing and an affordable price to do so.

Gaming PCs on the other hand have been getting bigger and bigger components resulting in a larger size overall with increasing market toward those component with efficiency and power as their metric and not their size.

There needs to be a massive shift in technology like going past silicon for me to think of such changes.

I know PS9 will be mobile anyway.

jqgsycanfavvbig.jpg

Banjo64

cumsessed
Odd way to promote their new phone but I suppose they have nothing else to show software wise that couldn’t run on the 14.

The heat from a game like Genshin makes me uncomfortable. If they resolve heat issues (somehow) then it could be a good idea with a backbone.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Ok.. heeeeeeere we go ladies and gentlemen.

Last edited:

FStubbs

/you scared gif

The iPhone has been out there 16 years now. If an all in one device ever does manage to kill consoles it won't be the iPhone.

Mr.Phoenix

Nope.

I mean, the lines are getting blurred,but not for the reasons you are insinuating.

It just so happens to be that what 90% of the people that use a PC actually do with a PC, can now be done on a mobile APU/SOC. That is it really.

But there would always be a market for specialized/dedicated hardware. And when we start talking about that with regards to computing or gaming, then it becomes a simple watts conversation. No matter how good a mobile is, they are designed to be low-power devices. Dedicated hardware will always have the luxury of being able to pull 10x more power than them.

You know people are getting really old when:
- they still call a smartphone a phone,
- they refuse a smartphone to be powerfull because it should just be a phone,
- they still don’t game on iPhone aka the biggest market on earth because it should only be phone,
- they are not impress with the size of such a device (a more powerfull PS4 in your band, is notthing great for them when not done by Nintendo aka the game and watch maker),
- they use a smartphone as a phone and call people. Who does that…

ok-boomer-the-office.gif

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
I don't trust apple with my game saves to stay intact over time, no way to back them up, etc...

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
This is why SEO works. Look at everyone flocking to discuss this retarded topic because of a controversial headline. This is the modern day equivalent of those fake newspapers at the cornerstore with headlines like JFK STILL ALIVE and BIGFOOT IS REAL AND HE’S RACIST.

its-sad-michelle-obama.gif

It's pretty amusing watching people plug their ears and bury their heads in the sand in utter denial that the console landscape is changing. It may not happen in the next year or two, but Nintendo looks to be making strides toward competing directly with Sony and MS, and Apple is now demonstrating clear intent to enter the traditional gaming space.

Obviously nobody wants to play actual AAA games with touch controls, and I'm sure Apple knows this. I won't be surprised if they've been working on their own official controller dock for the iPhone. They'll find a way to make it trendy and to make people want it. They also have even more money than Microsoft, so it's entirely possible for them to buy some well known development studios.

Right now it's "lol 30fps Resident Evil on your phone" but what will their mobile chips be capable of in another 5 years?

I'd like to see them build internal studios that really make full optimization and take full advantage of Apple Silicon, I want to see what that's like

I'm sure the studios they buy will build games for apple silicon, but doubt they'll be building AAA studios from the ground up, at least not exclusively.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Take the CPU, put it in a box with a proper heatsink & cooler on it and I think it'll be a very competent device.
They are, the Apple TV is totally out classed by this guy and it’s pretty great and about the size of two decks of cards (a bit more but it illustrates my point).

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
- they still don’t game on iPhone aka the biggest market on earth because it should only be phone,
I don't game on iPhone because I don't own one, but also the current mobile gaming market is kind of shitty right now. Apple seeks to change that which i hope they'll really follow up on, but there aren't many games i'd like to play on phone as is.

I use my phone for lots of things and i am using it for music right now.

Last edited:

DanielG165

They’re not wrong. What is ironically the most successful and best selling console on the market? The smartphone in your pocket. With the 15 Pro’s newfound performance to reasonably play console games, and Apple’s bottomless wealth and reach, I expect even more developers to port their games to the App Store, and have them be the full versions. Now, whether or not people play them on their phone is up to the individual user, but just imagine when the iPad gets the M3, and the Macs. That’s where things will really get interesting.

As it stands, we now have a phone that can handle a AAA current gen only game (AC: Mirage), at what looks to be console like settings. For how long? That remains to be seen, but such is still very impressive. And it’s got hardware accelerated RT. 5 years ago, I would’ve laughed if someone told me that a phone would be able to play console games.

Can't wait to play Candy Crush in 4K for the low low price of a grand and a half.

Mobile phone nonsense has nothing to do with the actual gaming industry. They'll get a few ports of real games but you are still playing on a tiny touchscreen regardless of how powerful the device is.

StereoVsn

I wonder if Larian will manage to port BG3 to iOS iPad at least. Divinity Original Sin 2 runs pretty darn well on my iPad 11 M2. So does Civ VI and a few other games.

Now, iPad M2 is faster vs iPhone 15 Pro, but still, it's not that far off anymore.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I think they took over casual gaming by ruining it. The new gamer movement was supposed to bridge casual gamers into the core. Apple came in and segregated it forever, by creating a huge industry in mobile.

They are welcome to do as good a job as they can. But I just don't trust Apple when it comes to gaming. I personally won't be an iPhone gamer unless it's really really good..

Top Bottom