• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Apple iPhone 15 Pro gaming interview "It's going to be the best gaming console"

nemiroff

Gold Member
Youre Wrong John C Mcginley GIF

Pimpbaa

Mobile games will forever be games I play to kill time in the waiting room while I wait to see a doctor. Nothing but old kairosoft games on my phone. If I really needed something serious for gaming on the go, I’d just use my Switch or get a Steam Deck. Fuck virtual buttons and sticks.

I’ve always said it but if Apple seriously enters the gaming market then they will be above Sony and Microsoft. They already make more money but Apple isn’t considered a major gaming company like Sony/MS or Nintendo.

Apple’s processors are really good and if this is what they can do in a phone then I’d love to see what they do on Mac or Apple TV. Macs will be getting M3 chips next year.

They seem to be taking gaming a bit more seriously. Personally I don’t play many games on my phone except Vampire Survivors, Pokémon Go, and VII EC. If they can continue to attract developers to Mac and put out a new Apple TV then it could really shake the market up.

Sony + Microsoft need to watch out. I think Microsoft is better prepared and equipped because of Gamepass. Also if anyone has the money to stand up against Apple it’s Microsoft.

Last edited:

buenoblue

Phones will never replace consoles or PCs or dedicated gaming devices because of battery usage. As we are seeing with these new handhelds AAA gaming even at lesser resolutions and graphics of current gen consoles gives like 1.5 hours battery life.

Yes you could use a dock but then your phone can no longer be used as a phone. Plus as phone tech develops so to does console and PC.

And by the time battery tech improves enough (if ever) then streaming is a more likely end game.

Can you game decently on a phone? Yes. But it's become obvious that dedicated gaming machines and phones are a different market.

Hell you can do most the stuff you can do on a phone on a console if software permitted but ain't no one buying a PS5 to carry around in there pocket all day 🤣🤣🤣

Phones will never replace consoles or PCs or dedicated gaming devices because of battery usage. As we are seeing with these new handhelds AAA gaming even at lesser resolutions and graphics of current gen consoles gives like 1.5 hours battery life.

Yes you could use a dock but then your phone can no longer be used as a phone. Plus as phone tech develops so to does console and PC.

And by the time battery tech improves enough (if ever) then streaming is a more likely end game.

Can you game decently on a phone? Yes. But it's become obvious that dedicated gaming machines and phones are a different market.

Hell you can do most the stuff you can do on a phone on a console if software permitted but ain't no one buying a PS5 to carry around in there pocket all day 🤣🤣🤣

Great post. There's no way an iphone can keep up with current gen consoles, but Apple hopes to win on the edges. Pure numbers. Where I think they'll be successful is cross buy across iphones, ipads, macbooks, and apple TV.

If they can put out an Apple TV that is significantly stronger than current versions and allow you to play games on it that are in line with current gen, and then when you wish to play those games on your macbooks, macs, and iphones, whenever you want with cross save... They're going to have themselves an in.

More people have iPhones than have consoles. I agree that there is no way iPhone becomes a dedicated gaming console, because it would destroy it's primary function. But it could act with the use of a dual sense controller or a backbone as an offline gaming console to play a lot of the same games on either a 6.1 or a 6.7 inch screen. That's more than what sony is promising with online only games with the portal.

I could see this taking a big chunk out of Switch sales.

Apple is a sleeping giant in gaming and as others have mentioned they quietly make the most revenue already.

Zuzu

If they can build a cross platform ecosystem where you buy a AAA game once and it can work across iphone, mac, ipad and Apple TV with full cloud save functionality and a one time purchase then it could become a pretty potent platform for AAA games. They might have to offer a higher tier option for the Apple TV - a gaming version. Then they’d have the ability to offer games that can be played on a tv, portably and at a desktop and all in one ecosystem.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

I love this idea, even more compelling is the fact you can now connect your iPhone to an external display.

the apple console seemed to have arrived and predictably it’s the iPhone just like with music movies gps etc they will fold it into the phone which is an amazing idea.

Now if valve ported steam to iPhones andwith the game conversion tool in a couple of years you will be playing your steam library on your phone Via a dock on your tv, that’s an amazing situation.

im here for it.

StereoVsn

Odd way to promote their new phone but I suppose they have nothing else to show software wise that couldn’t run on the 14.

The heat from a game like Genshin makes me uncomfortable. If they resolve heat issues (somehow) then it could be a good idea with a backbone.
This is why dedicated Android phones have beefed up cooking, battery, and even fans.

MikeM

No that's PC.
Depends on the game. Stutter gate is real among other issues.
/you scared gif

This one iPhone release won’t be the end of console gaming but eventually gaming will be mainly on your all in one device in the future. Seems everyone but actual gamers have realized this years ago.
Problem is, actual gamers are their source of revenue. Gamers want dedicated boxes, and those who don’t have options already.

buenoblue

Great post. There's no way an iphone can keep up with current gen consoles, but Apple hopes to win on the edges. Pure numbers. Where I think they'll be successful is cross buy across iphones, ipads, macbooks, and apple TV.

If they can put out an Apple TV that is significantly stronger than current versions and allow you to play games on it that are in line with current gen, and then when you wish to play those games on your macbooks, macs, and iphones, whenever you want with cross save... They're going to have themselves an in.

More people have iPhones than have consoles. I agree that there is no way iPhone becomes a dedicated gaming console, because it would destroy it's primary function. But it could act with the use of a dual sense controller or a backbone as an offline gaming console to play a lot of the same games on either a 6.1 or a 6.7 inch screen. That's more than what sony is promising with online only games with the portal.

I could see this taking a big chunk out of Switch sales.

Apple is a sleeping giant in gaming and as others have mentioned they quietly make the most revenue already.
Apple already make more money from gaming than Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo Combined. They've already won. But like I said it's two different markets, and that's fine. There should be diversity.

bigdad2007

This has been said before. The issue is always no one seems to ever want to pay the premium for regular games on iOS.

It seems that every 5 or so years Apple supposedly going to take over hardcore gaming and it never does. Because people are too busy spending thousands in FGO, Candy Crush, Genshin, etc to spend $60 on a game upfront.

Hudo

This has been said before. The issue is always no one seems to ever want to pay the premium for regular games on iOS.

It seems that every 5 or so years Apple supposedly going to take over hardcore gaming and it never does. Because people are too busy spending thousands in FGO, Candy Crush, Genshin, etc to spend $60 on a game upfront.
I mean, it's one of the key reasons why Microsoft bought ABK....it's because the K part of ABK is the most profitable. And they are just shitting out Candy Crush games.

Depends on the game. Stutter gate is real among other issues.

Problem is, actual gamers are their source of revenue. Gamers want dedicated boxes, and those who don’t have options already.
Shader comp stutters sucks for sure but the other stutters like for example streaming stutters are found on console too. Its just people on console are less discerning of performance issues, most of the issues Jedi Survivor has on PC exist on console for example but people on PC are far less tolerant due to the customizable nature of the platform. Nobody wants to buy a 4070ti and have anything but a perfect experience.

simpatico

iPhone 15 won't be the one to take over gaming, but it sure makes me think this could be the future. Add a dock and good controllers and sky is the limit. Apple silicon has been amazing.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
If the iPhone 15 came with a dock to connect to the TV it would be an instant switch competitor.

MikeM

Shader comp stutters sucks for sure but the other stutters like for example streaming stutters are found on console too. Its just people on console are less discerning of performance issues, most of the issues Jedi Survivor has on PC exist on console for example but people on PC are far less tolerant due to the customizable nature of the platform. Nobody wants to buy a 4070ti and have anything but a perfect experience.
All I can say is that on games like Dead Space, the console stutter is far and away better than PC and remains so today.
I have a 7900xt rig and like you said, anything less than near perfect does not get my money. I bought Dead Space on PS5 instead of PC and have no regrets

Ozriel

M$FT
someone slept in physics class.

The powerlimit on handheld formfactor devices says hi.

What does power limit have to do with anything? He's not arguing that handhelds would be the most powerful gaming devices. He's saying they eventually could be the most popular. The success of the Switch shows that powerful doesn't always sell more.

Whether or not you agree with his forecast is another matter

Three

What does power limit have to do with anything? He's not arguing that handhelds would be the most powerful gaming devices. He's saying they eventually could be the most popular. The success of the Switch shows that powerful doesn't always sell more.

Whether or not you agree with his forecast is another matter
Mobiles are already more popular than consoles but the games made for them are based on the power limit of the phones. If consoles continue to outpower phones then they will continue to have different libraries of games.

Ozriel

M$FT
Mobiles are already more popular than consoles but the games made for them are based on the power limit of the phones. If consoles continue to outpower phones then they will continue to have different libraries of games.

The Nintendo Switch is much weaker than the premium home consoles and yet it's handily leading in hardware sales and has significant engagement. So it's clear that power isn't everything.

We could well end up in a scenario where there's decent library overlap. Certainly you can put Madden, FIFA, COD and popular JRPGs on an iPhone 15 Pro and beyond.

That said, I personally don't believe mobile phones are anywhere near that level yet. We're getting to the point where the technical limit is blurring, but the key limiting factors would be battery life, controls and the willingness of mobile buyers to meet the price tag for AAA games

Three

The Nintendo Switch is much weaker than the premium home consoles and yet it's handily leading in hardware sales and has significant engagement. So it's clear that power isn't everything.
Nobody is saying more powerful consoles are more popular than mobiles though. Again mobiles are already more popular than consoles including being more popular than the switch. The point is that it won't replace the console with the games to become an "all in one device" due to the power limit of mobiles.
We could well end up in a scenario where there's decent library overlap. Certainly you can put Madden, FIFA, COD and popular JRPGs on an iPhone 15 Pro and beyond.

That said, I personally don't believe mobile phones are anywhere near that level yet. We're getting to the point where the technical limit is blurring, but the key limiting factors would be battery life, controls and the willingness of mobile buyers to meet the price tag for AAA games
I'm sure more publishers will try and push towards weaker hardware and mobile but there will still be those who push the boundaries and will differentiate the devices.

Last edited:
I think if streaming has taught us anything is that convenience can trump a lot of other factors.

Imagine you already have a macbook, ipad, iphone, and maybe even an Apple TV.

Being able to play a game that you'd play on PS5/XS via Apple Arcade via a subscription that you're already getting from Apple One... might get a lot of people to say they don't need a console. That doesn't even discuss cross-buy.

If Apple creates their own steam platform on Macbook and lets you play those games across their devices... they're absolutely going to have success with it.

StereoVsn

Imagine an Apple tablet with bluetooth controller with that amount of power. Perfection.
???

Apple iPad M series, so M1 and M2, have more power then A17 chipset. They can use Bluetooth controllers as well. What exactly are we supposed to imagine?

The issue is lack of games tailored to higher end chipsets and not the hardware.

Top Bottom