• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ign decides to rank FF series

Red Scarlet

Ourobolus said:
I would immediately take it away for him incorrectly stating that you need Sabin to beat the game.

Beating it with Celes, Edgar, and Setzer was fun as hell.

It was cool seeing how two of those endings were different without their supplementary character being there, but it was pretty boring just seeing a bunch of portraits for the others. Was worth doing, though.

PaNaMa

Banned
0 HP said:
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/105/1057079p1.html

12. FF11
11. FF2
10. FF3
9. FF12
8. FF1
7. FF9
6. FF5
5. FF8
4. FF10
3. FF4
2. FF7
1. FF6

imo 12 is too low, and 10 is too high. id also switch 8 and 9 but i didn't write the artic le

what do you guys think??

I liked FF3 on SNES a lot.. and I liked FF7 on PS1 a lot.. but that FF on PS2 where the game forced you to play blitzball.. was that 10? It was enough to push me away from the series forever. So whatever number that was it should be last :p

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
PaNaMa said:
I liked FF3 on SNES a lot.. and I liked FF7 on PS1 a lot.. but that FF on PS2 where the game forced you to play blitzball.. was that 10? It was enough to push me away from the series forever. So whatever number that was it should be last :p
you only were forced to play one game, and you didn't even have to win.

if you wanted Wakka's ultimate, though, you needed the Jupiter fucking Crest, and oh man, not fun. This is coming from someone who dodged one hundred lightning bolts in a row. FUCK BLITZBALL.

Redd

Loxley said:
Quick question, since VI is getting so much love, I was wondering if there was any other way to get it out outside of the GBA or PS1 versions (as in through PSN or DSiware)? I've wanted to check out one of the non-3D FF titles for a while but never figured out which one to go for, seems as though FF6 is it.

You could always get the GBA version and play it through the GBA player on the Gamecube. Sometimes I do that when I don't want to deal with playing it on a handheld. Music isn't as good as the original though.

Woo-Fu

Banned
IX and XII are the only main series FF games I enjoyed enough to finish. Honorable mention to XI which I found enjoyable for almost a year.

Putting X ahead of IX is criminal, IGN could have done better with a random number generator.

Indrew

Neo Member
6 is right where it should be. 12 is my personal 2nd best but I've been known to have bad taste.

I smell a replay coming before 13 hits NA.

ReyBrujo

Ourobolus said:
I would immediately take it away for him incorrectly stating that you need Sabin to beat the game.
Oh, looks like I just got an excuse to play it again :-D I remember exploiting the Sketch bug to get multiple illuminas for all the characters too. Little off topic, but I once got Chrono Trigger to do a similar bug (in the mountains with Ayla in my team), but couldn't run away and the game froze after a few seconds.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I think really, the ultimate question boils down to.... which is 'better,' Final Fantasy VI or Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions?

The world may never know.

inner-G

Banned
John Harker said:
I think really, the ultimate question boils down to.... which is 'better,' Final Fantasy VI or Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions?

The world may never know.
No, we all know.

VI by lightyears

Cowie

I had been ignoring this thread because of all the rage it might cause me

but ff6 was on top. You win this round, ign.

depward

This thread made me remember that back when I was in school, my brother got me the FFVI 3 CD soundtrack for Christmas. And I got him the Donkey Kong Country one.

I think I came out ahead on that one..

Fimbulvetr said:
4) When have secret bosses in FF games ever been that related to the main plot? Even then the quests serve to flesh out the world, just read the bestiary once in a while.

Off the top of my head:
Ruby and Emerald definitely didn't do much in terms of anything. The summons could be seen as a reward, but 12 has those. The one in the series where there are optional bosses that progress portions of the story that I can remember is 6 -- some of the characters have quests to unlock their ultimate skills or whatever... I'm thinking stuff like Cyan's quest here. I think there were more, but I haven't played it in forever, so I couldn't attest to that for sure.

Apparently there's nothing to report on while everybody's off playing their new games from Christmas.

No original
or intelligent
topics of discussion, either. =P

Red Scarlet said:
Well, Dark Bahamut mentions the Ragnarok and Zemus before you fight him (Zemus fears its power or something, so it must be kept sealed). The Holy Bevelle Mausoleum/whatever the 100 floor dungeon is called brings a little bit of closure in a way..the bosses in there were I know Maester Mika, I think Yunalesca, and that Zaon guy. Not pivotal but connected in some small way.
corrosivefrost said:
Off the top of my head:
Ruby and Emerald definitely didn't do much in terms of anything. The summons could be seen as a reward, but 12 has those. The one in the series where there are optional bosses that progress portions of the story that I can remember is 6 -- some of the characters have quests to unlock their ultimate skills or whatever... I'm thinking stuff like Cyan's quest here. I think there were more, but I haven't played it in forever, so I couldn't attest to that for sure.

All the Espers, any Marks related to the Occuria, any Marks related to the Empire, any Marks related to Dalmasca's royalty(especially Raithwall), and anything related to Nabudis period.

There.

I really think the whole VI #1 thing is pure nostalgia. It's a fine game, but it really doesn't hold up against a handful of others.

a176

Banned
Ultros.gif

Freyjadour said:
I really think the whole VI #1 thing is pure nostalgia. It's a fine game, but it really doesn't hold up against a handful of others.
Eh... I actually replay it on my SNES from time to time. Same with IV.
The PSX ones I can't stand them much anymore.

Aru

People will never agree about which FF is the best :p

FFXIII has already a lot of haters, and fans too.

For me, if FFXIII = the new FFX, then it'll be at least in my top 3 :p

I usually like the first FF of the generation more than the next ones.

theMrCravens said:
Eh... I actually replay it on my SNES from time to time. Same with IV.
The PSX ones I can't stand them much anymore.

For what reason? 2D has certainly held up better than VII's 3D :lol

ReyBrujo

Freyjadour said:
Could be. However, the nostalgia argument is kind of tiresome. When I pick a list of the best films and see Gone with the Wind, Citizen Kane, Psycho, The Godfather, The Shining or others, the last thing I would think of is "That is nostalgia speaking, this one is better."

It all depends on what "holding up" means. Technical aspects? Plot wise? Characters? Same with those saying FFVII doesn't hold well nowadays technically. That would mean people never played it for the plot but instead for the CGI and the 3D, which would be a pity.

Raxus

Aru said:
People will never agree about which FF is the best :p

FFXIII has already a lot of haters, and fans too.

For me, if FFXIII = the new FFX, then it'll be at least in my top 3 :p

I usually like the first FF of the generation more than the next ones.
This. FFX may have sucked on so many levels but man the combat was bliss for me. FFXIII seems to follow the same weave.

Freyjadour said:

I have to agree with that. After 6 playthroughs over the years I wanted to play it again very recently, and to be honest it just didn't hold my interest as well as I thought it would. Best FF final battle ever though.

I hate to name favorites. But it seems to shift from VIII to X to XII and back to VIII again now. I only really dislike II and XI (love/hate).

Freyjadour said:
Opposite for me. 6 was so good, that it makes the more recent FF's seems poor by comparison if you go back and play it. It had the best characters, magic system, and special commands.

One of the big factors for me is the story and where does it fall apart. Honestly I think the story in almost every FF goes to shit at some point, but thats just how it is. The key part is when the story transitions from a local problem to a global problem. In the end, every single story has this abrupt shift when the enemy or problem goes global. I loved the story and system in ff12, but it has possibly the worst jump to a global story of all the games. 8 did that very badly too, but it's an issue in all of them. 6 however (with the world of ruin twist) handled the issue the best. The empire is still the enemy the whole time and they just escalate their menace throughout the story, they don't suddenly become the main out of nowhere.

Holy Order Sol said:
The order doesn't matter, such a list should never exist in the first place.

Hell yes this. Nothing brings out more negativity and whining than an FF series list-war. In fact it seems like any discussion of FF games turn into these. Its kinda silly.

Top Bottom