• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ign decides to rank FF series

Why don't people who haven't even tried it just leave XI of their lists instead of just putting it at the bottom because they "don't like mmorpgs?"

What if someone was like:

1) Final Fantasy XI - AWESOME!
2) Final Fantasy the rest of them - sux, never played any of them but I know they're dumb cause I don't like 1 player RPGs, sorry.

They'd get shat on.

FFXI has better story/world/lore than half the other FF games, some interesting characters, beautiful art design, and out-and-out some of the best music in the entire franchise.

FFXI is not a bad FF game.

Davey Cakes

FF7 gets a lot of unwarranted hate because of how overblown its popularity was and because of how obnoxious some of the game's fans were.

Personally, I loved FF7 to death, but I'll gladly agree that the spinoff titles and things like Advent Children were entirely unnecessary.

Perdew

Anyone who says 7 should be number one, but didn't play VI when it was 'III' and in love with this commercial has an invalid opinion. imo.

God I loved that commercial

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Conrad Link said:
Why don't people who haven't even tried it just leave XI of their lists instead of just putting it at the bottom because they "don't like mmorpgs?"

2) Final Fantasy the rest of them - sux, never played any of them but I know they're dumb cause I don't like 1 player RPGs, sorry.

They'd get shat on.

FFXI has better story/world/lore than half the other FF games, some interesting characters, beautiful art design, and out-and-out some of the best music in the entire franchise.

I completely agree with you. There's no chance in hell XI would be the last in any decent "best mainline FF games" list.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Rash said:
But, honestly, I loved FF7 to death, but I'll gladly agree that the spinoff titles and things like Advent Children were entirely unnecessary.

Well, Crisis Core was good, but it could have been FAR BETTER:

-If they removed Genesis and made Angeal the "other" main villain (aside from Sephiroth)
-If they developed the rivalry between SOLDIER and the Turks more
-If they gave the game actual explorable towns, exploring Midgar was great, I wanted to do more of it.
-If they didn't half ass the missions

sh4mike

Brazil said:
I completely agree with you. There's no chance in hell XI would be the last in any decent "best mainline FF games" list.
Only reason they mainlined it was to boost sales. Would have sold half if they called it "Final Fantasy MMO." It's not worthy of being with the other mainlines and deserves to sit its ass in last place at the kid's table.

Carlisle said:
IX should be number 1. The order of the rest doesn't matter because they are all equally less good than IX.
FF9 was fanservice retro blowjobs for everyone as an apology for FF8. Boring game, boring story, and a totally forgettable boss. Half the people in this thread can't name the FF9 villain.

Ourobolus

Banned
FFVI at #1 is correct, so kudos for that.

Other than that, the only problems I have are V and III being too low, and IV being way, way too high.

sh4mike said:
FF9 was fanservice retro blowjobs for everyone as an apology for FF8. Boring game, boring story, and a totally forgettable boss. Half the people in this thread can't name the FF9 villain.

Kuja? Necron? Fuck Kefka, Kuja was 100x better.

FFIX should have been a lot higher up. It was the last fun Final Fantasy.

TheExodu5

Banned
This is what Kefka thinks of Sephiroth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPaW5PO83oE

ReyBrujo said:
:D

In a series with rather generic stories, IV and VI got the best twists (considering the kind of stories RPGs had when they were released). My reasons for choosing VI as the best are several:
  • It had an impressive cast (the lawful thief, the traitor, the brainwashed, the king, the disgraced knight, the carefree prince, the spellcaster past his prime, the selfish gambler, the mysterious warrior, etc), each with its own strengths and its own weaknesses. They wer all similar, but completely different. The first world gave you the characters and their introductions, the second gave you their reasons.
  • The story develops itself naturally from the invasion to Narshe as a member of the empire to the final battle in the World of Balance. It grows as a snowball, adding characters as the events within the war reach them. Remember the Simpson's episode where Burns is "killed"? Remember how it all started with the school finding oil, and then develops naturally (Burns stealing it with the inclined tower, its first extraction destroying Bart's house, its toxins closing Moe's, etc, etc, etc) until the very climax where everyone has a reason to kill him? Well, VI is the same, its story grows and grows adding characters that hold a grudge against Kefka until the battle in the floating island and the destruction of the world.
  • It gives you a second half where you are absolutely free to do everything. Contrary to the heavily scripted first part, the second is like a MMORPG. You choose where to go, with no rules, no order, only one objective: kill Kefka. You only need three characters (Celes, the one you start with in the world of Ruin, Sabin found in the first town you reach, and Setzer, whose airship is the only way to access the tower). If you want, you can find them all, and upon finding them, you learn more about their past: Setzer's love, Shadow's past, Terra's life, Cyan's family, etc. Those who say FFVI characters are weak or generic, it is because they didn't take the time to play the World of Ruin.
  • The world is destroyed! How many games dare to do something like that? I remember Shadow sacrificing himself to save the party (didn't wait for him the first time I played :-(). The wasteland, everything brown (just like Gears of War ;-)). Remember typing ZELDA as your name in The Legend of Zelda? Remember the roguelikes? It is the same world, but completely different. The same cheerful characters are now depressed, without hope. Families are no longer complete, houses are no longer opened, paths are no longer opened, walls are no longer blocking. It is a different sense of oppression: the first one was about no freedom, the second is about no hope.
  • Some people discuss whether Heath Ledger or Jack Nicholson is the best Joker. Imagine taking the best of both, and creating a single Joker. That is Kefka. He is extremely evil, but childish. He is completely mad, but knows perfectly how to reach his goals. He is cruel, and his laugh is memorable. But he is also dumb and will run away when outnumbered. I don't remember a game before it with such a final boss, one that would bounce around guards trying to run away in a moment and would order a castle to be destroyed and everyone inside to be killed in the next one.

The combat system was really generic, and the Magicite system didn't really help (in the end every character would know exactly the same spells as the others). There were also balance problems (there was little reason to use a spell other than Ultima to deal damage) and the World of Ruin was too free (the game came with a map with numbered towns that gave you an idea of the order in which you should travel), but without you were pretty much lost. You had to check every town for gossips, and in some cases enter dungeons or rather vague locations (I hated Locke and Gau). I understand why the World of Ruin gets more hate than the World of Balance, but that is part of the design: had it been scripted, I believe the player would have not been able to create such a strong link with the characters. Having to search and recruit them made you appreciate them more (and I have yet to find someone who didn't replay the game when he discovered Shadow could be saved!).

I am not saying the others (particularly VII) don't have these points. But I think the series reached a peak in storytelling and character development while at the same time having a really high technical quality (the over 20 minutes ending, for example). Final Fantasy VII made it mainstream, and for that I am thankful. But I think in order to reach it it needed to do some compromises (less amount of playable characters with a clear main one, more straightforward game, CGI, etc) that in the end made (ironically) FFVI even more unique.

Just my opinion.

This is the best Junior post I've ever seen on GAF. If I had mod powers, I would promote you to General Leo. *salutes*

Conrad Link said:

They'd get shat on.

Because gamers are irrational morons.

FFXI is the definitive Final Fantasy experience-- I've been saying it for years.

carlo6529

I agree with the top 3.

What I don't get is why 9 is so under appreciated?

Also to rank XI last, clearly means they did not play it enough; could be worse though.

One other thing I don't get is why so many gaffers love XII so much; I fucking hated it. It didn't feel like final fantasy at all and I was confused as heck half the time. I didn't even know I was fighting the final battle until I was midway through it. I just didn't find it fun at all.

sh4mike

HappyBivouac said:
FFXI is the definitive Final Fantasy experience-- I've been saying it for years.
Keep telling yourself that the 500+ hours you spent waiting for groups to cyber with was the definitive Final Fantasy experience.

carlo6529

Fimbulvetr said:
I really don't want to, but it's so tempting.

Are you saying that is why you like it so much?

sh4mike said:
Keep telling yourself that the 500+ hours you spent waiting for groups to cyber with was the definitive Final Fantasy experience.

You know... you could of made your own parties in the game instead of waiting to be invited.

sh4mike

Does it feel soft and dreamy like one of FF9's furry friend tails? They're just so deformed and lovably chibi cute! We'll sell 10 times as many plushies this time.

Hobbun

Actually, the list seems pretty close to my own.

FF VI #1. Check.
FF IV and VII towards to the top. Check.
FF XII towards the bottom. Check.

sh4mike said:
sh4mike said:
Does it feel soft and dreamy like one of FF9's furry friend tails? They're just so deformed and lovably chibi cute! We'll sell 10 times as many plushies this time.
sh4mike said:
To save other folks from the Google search:
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Shantotto

And yeah, that's pretty much all one needs to know to rank FF11.

Really driving home the "gamers are irrational morons" point. So thanks for that I guess.

At this point in time, my list is like (from most liked to least liked):

FF6 - FF5 - FF4 - FF9 - FF7 - FF10 - FF11 - FF2 - FF1 - FF12 - FF8 - FF3

As I get older, FF5 seems to gain more stock. FF11 is awesome but is put in the back half because of god-damned red mage elves stealing m

nevermind.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Hobbun said:
Actually, the list seems pretty close to my own.

FF VI #1. Check.
FF IV and VII towards to the top. Check.
FF XII towards the bottom. Check.

*High Fives*

That's exactly what I am thinking :D

I hate Final Fantasy "fans". "X sucks. No, III sucks! II sucks! VII is the worst ever! XII is an abomination! VIII blows!"

None of the games suck. Enjoy life for once.

sh4mike

HappyBivouac said:
Really driving home the "gamers are irrational morons" point. So thanks for that I guess.
A man with a furry avy defending his lifestyle choice against anti-furry rhetoric. Respect.

5 and 10 are way way too high.
6 should be top 3, but not number 1. top spot is 4 or 7. i'd argue for 8, but it's such a polarized game amongst fans that i can't reason it being top 3 overall. top 5 probably.

i wouldn't consider MQ or 11 as real final fantasy games, just as i wouldn't consider the tactics games or ff7 spinoffs a part of this.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Epic Tier 3 Engineer said:
I hate Final Fantasy "fans". "X sucks. No, III sucks! II sucks! VII is the worst ever! XII is an abomination! VIII blows!"

Finally something I can agree on! :D

sh4mike

JWong said:
FF8 > FF9

Yessssssssssssssssssss.
Hell yeah. It truly was "Twilight - The Video Game" before there was "Twilight - The Video Game." *hugs*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV52DvjX9rA

lizzybee103
I wish my squall could find me one day :)

MarissaMelodie (4 days ago)
I know how u feel....the real world sux(but im a girl, so I only wish my Squall will find me) i wish the real world was like the video game world....omg that would be like freaking amazing.

Celcil49286
This game had such a beautiful story i wish square enix would make another love story like this. I love Squall's character so much I can relate to him about being so afraid being close to someone in fear of losing them.

ProudFinn1
DAmn she loves him soo much she never lets go. and Squall finally realizes the Rinoa loves him this game is the meaning of true love

UraMallas

FFX is way too high in my opinion. It actually put me off of the series. I never finished it (played 20 hours in) and I haven't played another FF since. It was too damn linear for my tastes and even 20 hours in I was being pushed along so that I couldn't explore. Even if it finally opens up at the end I would never know because I got fed up.

Anyways, my top 3 would go like this:

FFIV
FFVI
FFVII

Epic Tier 3 Engineer said:

I don't call 'em Anal Antasy for nothing.

sh4mike said:
Hell yeah. It truly was "Twilight - The Video Game" before there was "Twilight - The Video Game." *hugs*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV52DvjX9rA

lizzybee103
I wish my squall could find me one day :)

MarissaMelodie (4 days ago)
I know how u feel....the real world sux(but im a girl, so I only wish my Squall will find me) i wish the real world was like the video game world....omg that would be like freaking amazing.

:lol

Too bad there's no clips of Squall trying to slap Rinoa on youtube.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Game Informer also gave the nod to FF6 as the best in their issue 200. Actually, considering it's the first RPG listed in their top 200 games of all time, I'd say GI gave it the 'best rpg ever' nod

Onemic

TheExodu5 said:
See you're one of the people we call "crazy".

I loved VII, but I'd but VIII just a little higher than VII. VII may have been more significant as it was the first 3dd PS1 RPG, but VIII had a better battle system and by far the best music in any FF game to date. Not to mention its fuck awesome mini card game and ending. Only thing I'd say VII got better than VIII were its characters and of course the overall story.

Top Bottom