• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ign decides to rank FF series

Cedille

VIII and X are definitely two of the worst. Even other two games from the same team (VII and XIII) are much better. Honestly, I can't see why XI and XII are inferior to the particular two.

I'd also rather put XI within #3, but I can understand why casual players don't like it.

cosmicblizzard said:
A man thrust into a post-apocalyptic world where everyone lives in fear where each day could be their last. Even when the threat is gone, the people can feel safe only for a little while before it is reborn.

Everything can sound mature.
The weird thing is a burst out laughing while reading that.

Also i am finding it hard to believe that so many people actually made such a big deal over aeries death, as i felt nothing but joy when it happened since i hated her.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Cedille said:
VIII and X are definitely two of the worst. Even other two games from the same team (VII and XIII) are much better. Honestly, I can't see why XI and XII are inferior to the particular two.

I'd also rather put XI within #3, but I can understand why casual players don't like it.

I really liked X. I couldnt' stand 12, no matter how much I tried.

jeremy1456 said:
When did that happen in the game?

That knocked up slut in the town that Terra rules with an iron fist. Unfortunately the child is born, of course this was only after Phunbaba, destroyer of sin, was killed and sin was allowed to flourish.

flintstryker said:
The weird thing is a burst out laughing while reading that.

Also i am finding it hard to believe that so many people actually made such a big deal over aeries death, as i felt nothing but joy when it happened since i hated her.

I'm sure someone can word it much better than I can to make it sound mature.

And hey, Aeris was a pretty popular character back then. For the time, the scene was very powerful. Everything from the cinematics to the music is what made it such an iconic scene. Yeah, it looks like a joke now, but it was pretty big back then.

sh4mike

cosmicblizzard said:
Same. Liking it isn't a crime like half the people here would have you believe.
Christ, there's nothing wrong with liking every FF story. This is a ranking thread.

If you like FF8's story, fine. But like it more than FF6 and you're a douche.

FF7 had an complex story with great sides (XIII), twists (Zack), and a quality bad guy.

jeremy1456

Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
That knocked up slut in the town that Terra rules with an iron fist. Unfortunately the child is born, of course this was only after Phunbaba, destroyer of sin, was killed and sin was allowed to flourish.

Oh okay I remember now.

He made such a big deal of a part so small? :lol

Glad to see the FFXI fighters out here fighting the good fight. I would also probably put XI in the top, perhaps even #1. Reasons why have already been explained. Hell, the current Wings storyline trumps half the FF games out there.

cosmicblizzard said:

And hey, Aeris was a pretty popular character back then. For the time, the scene was very powerful. Everything from the cinematics to the music is what made it such an iconic scene. Yeah, it looks like a joke now, but it was pretty big back then.

Phantasy Star II had Nei, way back in 1989.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I enjoyed them all. Yes, even the bastard child Mystic Quest. It was an easy game but I thought the puzzle solving was cool.

IV, VI, VII, and X left the biggest impressions on me for coming out at a certain time and accomplishing what they did.

jeremy1456

Kadey said:
I enjoyed them all. Yes, even the bastard child Mystic Quest. It was an easy game but I thought the puzzle solving was cool.

IV, VI, VII, and X left the biggest impressions on me for coming out at a certain time and accomplishing what they did.

I find that Mystic Quest actually has better dungeon design than most mainline FF games.

sh4mike said:
Christ, there's nothing wrong with liking every FF story. This is a ranking thread.

If you like FF8's story, fine. But like it more than FF6 and you're a douche.

FF7 had an complex story with great sides (XIII), twists (Zack), and a quality bad guy.

And that's why people call FF6 fanboys bullies.

beelzebozo said:
remake only, dude.

You BASTARD!
2cgj91g.jpg

cartman414 said:
Phantasy Star II had Nei, way back in 1989.

There's plenty examples of emotional character deaths before FF7. I'm not saying Aeris' death is the saddest one, I'm just saying it's iconic for the music, graphics, and cinematography with the latter two being impossible on previous hardware.

Personally I stopped caring about Aerisithis after I got spoiled about her death.

No way that mary sue was taking my XP to the grave.

cosmicblizzard said:

But that's the problem, i played it back then and i felt nothing (besides joy), another funny thing too is that ff7 was my first ff game, though i ended up liking 6 more.

flintstryker said:
But that's the problem, i played it back then and i felt nothing (besides joy), another funny thing too is that ff7 was my first ff game, though i ended up liking 6 more.

Well obviously not everyone's gonna feel the same. I was sad back then, but that was mostly the fault of the music. I muted it and barely felt anything. Really, I was more angry than sad since you spend a good chunk of Midgar trying to rescue her.

hyduK

Banned
No clue how VII got so high. They must have not played it since release, riding that nostalgia wave all the way to number two.

They got number one right, though.

Swap VII and XII and the list is near perfect.

Mariner

Real list.

1. FFXI
2. Who cares

Non-MMO Final Fantasy games are played out at this point. Play an RPG with real challenge.

hyduK

Banned
Mariner said:
Real list.

1. FFXI
2. Who cares

Non-MMO Final Fantasy games are played out at this point. Play an RPG with real challenge.
Suggest a JRPG with 'real challenge'.

Hint: Needing to endlessly grind to beat a specific boss is not hard, just tedious.

jeremy1456

Mariner said:
Real list.

1. FFXI
2. Who cares

The only challenging thing I found about FFXI was being patient enough to grind.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
GregLombardi said:
Guys Kefka is a far more evil antagonist than Sephiroth. Kefka is to Joker (the Dark Knight) what Sephiroth is to Dr. Wily IMHO.
They are Nietzsche Wannabes and wear clown makeup? Sephiroth also wanted to blow up the world. Just cause he didnt succeed doesnt make him less evil or whatever.

sh4mike

HK-47 said:
They are Nietzsche Wannabes and wear clown makeup? Sephiroth also wanted to blow up the world. Just cause he didnt succeed doesnt make him less evil or whatever.
Seph was avenging injustice to his people. Kefka was pure evil.

Watching Kefka kill Leo -- that pissed me off more than anything Seph did.

sh4mike said:
Seph was avenging injustice to his people. Kefka was pure evil.

Watching Kefka kill Leo -- that pissed me off more than anything Seph did.

No.

He wanted the Planet's power to become a god, in order to get enough that power to emerge to he could absorb it more properly he needed to 1)"wound" the planet to release Mako/Lifestream from its grip 2) kill lots of people at once to release Mako/Lifestream from their bodies.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Fimbulvetr said:
Personally I stopped caring about Aerisithis after I got spoiled about her death.

No way that mary sue was taking my XP to the grave.
It's Aerithisis not Aerisithis.

ReyBrujo

7Th said:
My Final Fantasy series ranking in no specific order
:D

In a series with rather generic stories, IV and VI got the best twists (considering the kind of stories RPGs had when they were released). My reasons for choosing VI as the best are several:
  • It had an impressive cast (the lawful thief, the traitor, the brainwashed, the king, the disgraced knight, the carefree prince, the spellcaster past his prime, the selfish gambler, the mysterious warrior, etc), each with its own strengths and its own weaknesses. They wer all similar, but completely different. The first world gave you the characters and their introductions, the second gave you their reasons.
  • The story develops itself naturally from the invasion to Narshe as a member of the empire to the final battle in the World of Balance. It grows as a snowball, adding characters as the events within the war reach them. Remember the Simpson's episode where Burns is "killed"? Remember how it all started with the school finding oil, and then develops naturally (Burns stealing it with the inclined tower, its first extraction destroying Bart's house, its toxins closing Moe's, etc, etc, etc) until the very climax where everyone has a reason to kill him? Well, VI is the same, its story grows and grows adding characters that hold a grudge against Kefka until the battle in the floating island and the destruction of the world.
  • It gives you a second half where you are absolutely free to do everything. Contrary to the heavily scripted first part, the second is like a MMORPG. You choose where to go, with no rules, no order, only one objective: kill Kefka. You only need three characters (Celes, the one you start with in the world of Ruin, Sabin found in the first town you reach, and Setzer, whose airship is the only way to access the tower). If you want, you can find them all, and upon finding them, you learn more about their past: Setzer's love, Shadow's past, Terra's life, Cyan's family, etc. Those who say FFVI characters are weak or generic, it is because they didn't take the time to play the World of Ruin.
  • The world is destroyed! How many games dare to do something like that? I remember Shadow sacrificing himself to save the party (didn't wait for him the first time I played :-(). The wasteland, everything brown (just like Gears of War ;-)). Remember typing ZELDA as your name in The Legend of Zelda? Remember the roguelikes? It is the same world, but completely different. The same cheerful characters are now depressed, without hope. Families are no longer complete, houses are no longer opened, paths are no longer opened, walls are no longer blocking. It is a different sense of oppression: the first one was about no freedom, the second is about no hope.
  • Some people discuss whether Heath Ledger or Jack Nicholson is the best Joker. Imagine taking the best of both, and creating a single Joker. That is Kefka. He is extremely evil, but childish. He is completely mad, but knows perfectly how to reach his goals. He is cruel, and his laugh is memorable. But he is also dumb and will run away when outnumbered. I don't remember a game before it with such a final boss, one that would bounce around guards trying to run away in a moment and would order a castle to be destroyed and everyone inside to be killed in the next one.

The combat system was really generic, and the Magicite system didn't really help (in the end every character would know exactly the same spells as the others). There were also balance problems (there was little reason to use a spell other than Ultima to deal damage) and the World of Ruin was too free (the game came with a map with numbered towns that gave you an idea of the order in which you should travel), but without you were pretty much lost. You had to check every town for gossips, and in some cases enter dungeons or rather vague locations (I hated Locke and Gau). I understand why the World of Ruin gets more hate than the World of Balance, but that is part of the design: had it been scripted, I believe the player would have not been able to create such a strong link with the characters. Having to search and recruit them made you appreciate them more (and I have yet to find someone who didn't replay the game when he discovered Shadow could be saved!).

I am not saying the others (particularly VII) don't have these points. But I think the series reached a peak in storytelling and character development while at the same time having a really high technical quality (the over 20 minutes ending, for example). Final Fantasy VII made it mainstream, and for that I am thankful. But I think in order to reach it it needed to do some compromises (less amount of playable characters with a clear main one, more straightforward game, CGI, etc) that in the end made (ironically) FFVI even more unique.

Just my opinion.

bengraven

ReyBrujo said:
:D

In a series with rather generic stories, IV and VI got the best twists (considering the kind of stories RPGs had when they were released). My reasons for choosing VI as the best are several:
  • It had an impressive cast (the lawful thief, the traitor, the brainwashed, the king, the disgraced knight, the carefree prince, the spellcaster past his prime, the selfish gambler, the mysterious warrior, etc), each with its own strengths and its own weaknesses. They wer all similar, but completely different. The first world gave you the characters and their introductions, the second gave you their reasons.
  • The story develops itself naturally from the invasion to Narshe as a member of the empire to the final battle in the World of Balance. It grows as a snowball, adding characters as the events within the war reach them. Remember the Simpson's episode where Burns is "killed"? Remember how it all started with the school finding oil, and then develops naturally (Burns stealing it with the inclined tower, its first extraction destroying Bart's house, its toxins closing Moe's, etc, etc, etc) until the very climax where everyone has a reason to kill him? Well, VI is the same, its story grows and grows adding characters that hold a grudge against Kefka until the battle in the floating island and the destruction of the world.
  • It gives you a second half where you are absolutely free to do everything. Contrary to the heavily scripted first part, the second is like a MMORPG. You choose where to go, with no rules, no order, only one objective: kill Kefka. You only need three characters (Celes, the one you start with in the world of Ruin, Sabin found in the first town you reach, and Setzer, whose airship is the only way to access the tower). If you want, you can find them all, and upon finding them, you learn more about their past: Setzer's love, Shadow's past, Terra's life, Cyan's family, etc. Those who say FFVI characters are weak or generic, it is because they didn't take the time to play the World of Ruin.
  • The world is destroyed! How many games dare to do something like that? I remember Shadow sacrificing himself to save the party (didn't wait for him the first time I played :-(). The wasteland, everything brown (just like Gears of War ;-)). Remember typing ZELDA as your name in The Legend of Zelda? Remember the roguelikes? It is the same world, but completely different. The same cheerful characters are now depressed, without hope. Families are no longer complete, houses are no longer opened, paths are no longer opened, walls are no longer blocking. It is a different sense of oppression: the first one was about no freedom, the second is about no hope.
  • Some people discuss whether Heath Ledger or Jack Nicholson is the best Joker. Imagine taking the best of both, and creating a single Joker. That is Kefka. He is extremely evil, but childish. He is completely mad, but knows perfectly how to reach his goals. He is cruel, and his laugh is memorable. But he is also dumb and will run away when outnumbered. I don't remember a game before it with such a final boss, one that would bounce around guards trying to run away in a moment and would order a castle to be destroyed and everyone inside to be killed in the next one.

The combat system was really generic, and the Magicite system didn't really help (in the end every character would know exactly the same spells as the others). There were also balance problems (there was little reason to use a spell other than Ultima to deal damage) and the World of Ruin was too free (the game came with a map with numbered towns that gave you an idea of the order in which you should travel), but without you were pretty much lost. You had to check every town for gossips, and in some cases enter dungeons or rather vague locations (I hated Locke and Gau). I understand why the World of Ruin gets more hate than the World of Balance, but that is part of the design: had it been scripted, I believe the player would have not been able to create such a strong link with the characters. Having to search and recruit them made you appreciate them more (and I have yet to find someone who didn't replay the game when he discovered Shadow could be saved!).

I am not saying the others (particularly VII) don't have these points. But I think the series reached a peak in storytelling and character development while at the same time having a really high technical quality (the over 20 minutes ending, for example). Final Fantasy VII made it mainstream, and for that I am thankful. But I think in order to reach it it needed to do some compromises (less amount of playable characters with a clear main one, more straightforward game, CGI, etc) that in the end made (ironically) FFVI even more unique.

Just my opinion.

Good show ol' chap.

sh4mike

Fimbulvetr said:
'Cept she didn't die.
He "avenged injustice" his Mom suffered at the hands of Gast. Avenging is not specific to murder or death.

Regardless, I'd label him a tragic villain given the details of his birth. Kefka is in a different league.

And since this is a ranking thread, let me end with Kefka being my choice as the greatest FF villain.

Top Bottom