• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN first: Bloodborne character creator detailled

I don't think IGN knows anything about Harry Potter except "white", "black hair" and "glasses".

qGqYdS1.png

Looks more like Egon Spengler to me.

Teknoman

Well the way I see it is that if they don't include traditional chain and plate as armour, they're going to have to make balance changes as it is. You can't have major differences in defensive stats between a trench coat and tuxedo. So they'd have to balance it in different ways such as stat benefits. It can definitely be read in multiple ways.

I'd be fine if they could make different armor types based on clothing. It would be something different/that we havent seen in awhile. I mean if Earthbound can have major stat differences based on what baseball caps Ness wears...

aly

I love the idea of origins and the creator doesn't look too butt ugly either. My first Demon Souls character had her face look like a butt :(

I'd be fine if they could make different armor types based on clothing. It would be something different/that we havent seen in awhile. I mean if Earthbound can have major stat differences based on what baseball caps Ness wears...

My guess is that we'll get a lot more items in the vein of of the Desert Sorceress Hood or the Engraved Gauntlets. Also possibly add more variance in stuff such as resistances and place more importance on damage types.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
You're going to create your wife and play as her in the game?! Lool that is a new one to me.

I might do the same for my GF then.

I always let my wife use the character creation in games to make my character. She usually ends up making herself which I do not mind at all.

LOL, did people seriously say they don't want to play as minorities in Victorian London?

Bloodborne is a fictional universe, I want to create a brown character, what would they gain from limiting customization options? They can make a white character if they want & it won't affect their enjoyment of the game at all.

Worse, some people made a serious argument that werewolves in Victorian era London make more sense and is more realistic than minorities being around in that time period.

Well the way I see it is that if they don't include traditional chain and plate as armour, they're going to have to make balance changes as it is. You can't have major differences in defensive stats between a trench coat and tuxedo. So they'd have to balance it in different ways such as stat benefits. It can definitely be read in multiple ways.

I hope you're right. One of the best things about these games is the wide variety of builds that can be created through equipment.

Aikidoka

Skin of the characters still has the weird pasty glow all the other games had. But, I do think it looks pretty awesome. If it lets me make William "The Bloody [poet]" killing monsters in victorian london, words couldn't contain my joy.

William_pratt.gif

aly

Worse, some people made a serious argument that werewolves in Victorian era London make more sense and is more realistic than minorities being around in that time period.

I agree with those people. I just saw a werewolf the other day. Never seen another black person other than myself though. Thought I was one of a kind of alien species, which is more Sci-fi and not Victorian era London.

How dumb.

OMG minorities in Victorian era place that's sorta like London but with liberties taken like werewolves, what is this nonsense!?! Unrealistiiiiiiiccccc!

I find this criticism to be utterly bizarre.

The Order is set in a steampunk version of Victorian London. Bloodborne is set in Yharnam, a fictional city in a fictional world.

There's nothing wrong with Ready at Dawn wanting to do "Victorian London with werewolves" and not "Victorian London with werewolves and also totally different demographics." The studio's head is Sri Lankan, who the hell are you to lecture him about being inclusive of minorities?

Zaventem

Why would they only show two classes descriptions? I really wish we got people who were obsessive as us to detail things.

kpaadet

How ironic is it that now that we can finally make a character look like Harry Potter there is no magic
(at least not that we know of).

Imru’ al-Qays;150611444 said:
I find this criticism to be utterly bizarre.

The Order is set in a steampunk version of Victorian London. Bloodborne is set in Yharnam, a fictional city in a fictional world.

There's nothing wrong with Ready at Dawn wanting to do "Victorian London with werewolves" and not "Victorian London with werewolves and also totally different demographics." The studio's head is Sri Lankan, who the hell are you to lecture him about being inclusive of minorities?

Trey

I was out on Bloodborne due to framerate but I might be back in because there's a class/"upbringing" called Waste of Skin.

Sami+

I love that the first thing they did was make Harry Potter, lol.

Looks like I can make a dude that actually looks a little bit like me which should be cool. Glad it's easier to make someone that doesn't look completely ridiculous.

Molemitts

There's been an age slider in at least one of the Souls games. Maybe all of them? It doesn't really make them look any younger or older to me... just different.

There's a "maturity" meter in Dark Souls 1&2 (maybe Demon's Idk). It only affects facial features a tiny bit.

KoopaTheCasual

No one did that. Paste the post.
It's not quite as heavy handed as he makes it out to be, but there was a loooot of hand-waving and explanation how minorities would be out of place:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=140010889&postcount=43

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=139955653&postcount=155

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=139962679&postcount=203

There was more, from what I can remember, but that's what I could find on a quick search.

It's not quite as heavy handed as he makes it out to be, but there was a loooot of hand-waving and explanation how minorities would be out of place:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=140010889&postcount=43

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=139955653&postcount=155

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=139962679&postcount=203

There was more, from what I can remember, but that's what I could find on a quick search.

So? How are these posts "hand-waving?" In the real world there were very few minorities in 1886 London. How would adding werewolves have changed that? Do you have something in mind?

Explain to me the geopolitics of a world in which there are tons of non-white people in London in the year 1886. Are they immigrants? Where are they coming from? What about this world is different, what makes all these foreigners go to London in 1886 in large numbers? Fantasy worldbuilding isn't about just literally making shit up: it needs to be internally-consistent if it's to be any good.

KoopaTheCasual

Limited options for black characters... Why is it so hard to add dreads or a decent fade.
I'm just happy that there's an actually "black" setting, that isn't a Mister Popo-esque stereotype (looking at you, DS1).
Imru’ al-Qays;150615977 said:
So? How are these posts "hand-waving?" In the real world there were very few minorities in 1886 London. How would adding werewolves have changed that? Do you have something in mind?

Explain to me the geopolitics of a world in which there are tons of non-white people in London in the year 1886. Are they immigrants? Where are they coming from? What about this world is different, what makes all these foreigners go to London in 1886 in large numbers?
I'm not gonna waste my time 1) shitting up this Bloodborne thread 2) retreading a topic that was handily dealt with in the thread i just linked to you.

You can either read that thread, or just do a simple google search of black londoners. Warning: results may shock you.

I'm not gonna waste my time 1) shitting up this Bloodborne thread 2) retreading a topic that was handily dealt with in the thread i just linked to you.

You can either read that thread, or just do a simple google search of black londoners. Warning: results may shock you.

I've read that thread. Several people in it conclusively demonstrated that London had a very small black population in 1886.

Orayn

I'm just happy that there's an actually "black" setting, that isn't a Mister Popo-esque stereotype (looking at you, DS1).

The default Catarina character was unfortunately a bit of a stereotype, though it was kind of cool and interesting that the game ultimately paints Catarina as a happy-go-lucky, multi-racial fantasy version of Germany.

Top Bottom