• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN first: Bloodborne character creator detailled

Alo0oy

Banned
OMG minorities in Victorian era place that's sorta like London but with liberties taken like werewolves, what is this nonsense!?! Unrealistiiiiiiiccccc!

LOL, did people seriously say they don't want to play as minorities in Victorian London?

Bloodborne is a fictional universe, I want to create a brown character, what would they gain from limiting customization options? They can make a white character if they want & it won't affect their enjoyment of the game at all.

I'm curious as to what benefits different clothes will have. I know there will be a certain amount of defense, but without light>medium>heavy armor it'll all be cloth and leather. I wonder if it'll be related to attributes, or if some sets will have unique properties.

They've said there will be no armor. I assume that if clothing had stats, they would have clarified that point. All that they said is no armor, and the game is balanced to reflect that.

*edit* Okay, I found this interview. All that was said is, "Since it takes place in the 19th century, it felt more accurate to not include armor. [But the game is being balanced to accommodate that.]" I'm almost positive that there was another one with a more detailed response, but only because I recall being disappointed. I do hope that clothing items have stats, but I remain doubtful.

Loakum

Banned
Why does he have 2 pairs of eyes?

Actually..Alucard has way more than 2 pairs of eyes...but in that pic, it's just his glasses lowered.

kZPmtsal.png

Cess007

Dammit, Youtube video is private and i can't watch IGN at work (neither can download the file). Set video public dammit IGN! :(

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
LOL, did people seriously say they don't want to play as minorities in Victorian London?

Bloodborne is a fictional universe, I want to create a brown character, what would they gain from limiting customization options? They can make a white character if they want & it won't affect their enjoyment of the game at all.

No...

Never thought I would want glasses on a souls character but now I'm really tempted.

I'm going to guess that 'Noble Scion' is similar to Demon Soul's 'Royalty'; highish skill and arcane but a low starting level.

Korten

Banned
OMG minorities in Victorian era place that's sorta like London but with liberties taken like werewolves, what is this nonsense!?! Unrealistiiiiiiiccccc!

Really going to bring that debate in here?

Also I get what your saying... but it falls flat anyway since this game's world is not Earth. :/ Meaning they have no obligation of anything to keep it realistic.

Teknoman

Still wish they would have more hairstyles though.

Also I get what your saying... but it falls flat anyway since this game's world is not Earth. :/ Meaning they have no obligation of anything to keep it realistic.

He's being sarcastic. Hes saying if From can do this on a non-earth place, then other games should've been able to...on sorta-earth.

KoopaTheCasual

He's joking because some people (i think in an old Order thread) argued that seeing minorities would break their 'immersion'.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I can't wait to be a waste of skin, just like in real life!

Toxi

Banned

Black people are now unrealistic.

HardRojo

Can anyone please take a screenshot of the Potter lookalike please? I'm in class and can't watch the video right now :(

Emedan

Well I know he was sarcastic and all but to be fair, there were minorities in Victorian England, black house slaves was not uncommon in the 18th century, also if you reign over 1/4 of the earths population minorities is kind of unavoidable. Though they lacked any social status of course

I know this is FROM and not bioware, but the moment I saw that Origins replace classes I sort of hope that the decision would have some thematic effects in-game. Not sure why, it's just the word...

Toxi

Banned
I know this is FROM and not bioware, but the moment I saw that Origins replace classes I sort of hope that the decision would have some thematic effects in-game. Not sure why, it's just the word...
No matter who you were beforehand, beggar or noble, soldier or civilian, you'll always be just another unfortunate struggling to survive in the streets of Yharna. From's worlds are fair if nothing else.

Teknoman

That would be great if somehow some npcs tailored their conversations based on your past.

No matter who you were beforehand, beggar or noble, soldier or civilian, you'll always be just another unfortunate struggling to survive in the streets of Yharna. From's worlds are fair if nothing else.

What I mean is something like...

That would be great if somehow some npcs tailored their conversations based on your past.

...This. Just some small nods here and there.

They've said there will be no armor. I assume that if clothing had stats, they would have clarified that point. All that they said is no armor, and the game is balanced to reflect that.

*edit* Okay, I found this interview. All that was said is, "Since it takes place in the 19th century, it felt more accurate to not include armor. [But the game is being balanced to accommodate that.]" I'm almost positive that there was another one with a more detailed response, but only because I recall being disappointed. I do hope that clothing items have stats, but I remain doubtful.

Are you sure they were talking about the concept of armour and not just "Yeah there's no platemail in the game"?

Are you sure they were talking about the concept of armour and not just "Yeah there's no platemail in the game"?

I am pretty sure there's stuff like that and shields that will end up playing a role. Even if kind of peripheral roles.

The idea that late game loot won't look kind of armour-like is crazy to me.

Molemitts

Maybe a few small nods to it, yeah. Like how Patches hates Clerics, (though doesn't seem to notice if you're actually a Cleric, or not.) I wouldn't mind it that much, but the world appear to be at a point where your social status wouldn't matter at all.

I don't think IGN knows anything about Harry Potter except "white", "black hair" and "glasses".

qGqYdS1.png

Well, that's enough irl for some people to call you Harry Potter, lmao.

The hair looks really good, I have to say. Also, the character creator in Souls games is so versatile you can spend hours making really amazing looking characters. There's some artistry involved in making a character look good.

Maybe a few small nods to it, yeah. Like how Patches hates Clerics, (though doesn't seem to notice if you're actually a Cleric, or not.) I wouldn't mind it that much, but the world appear to be at a point where your social status wouldn't matter at all.

What about an NPC that sympathizes with your troubled childhood because of her similar experience? ;D

Bloodborne |OT| We're not in Hogwarts anymore

Bloodborne |OT| Yer a hunter Harry

The mention of balancing the game around this is what leads me to believe that they are talking about the entire concept of armor. Who knows.

Well the way I see it is that if they don't include traditional chain and plate as armour, they're going to have to make balance changes as it is. You can't have major differences in defensive stats between a trench coat and tuxedo. So they'd have to balance it in different ways such as stat benefits. It can definitely be read in multiple ways.

Top Bottom